Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Working in Development: You don't have to know about anime to work here, but it helps

Working in Development: Pollyanna needs to ask better questions during the interview process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

From now on, my questions for interviewers will always include "how many of your servers are named after anime characters"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

From now on, my questions for interviewers will always include "how many of your servers are named after anime characters"

If you name them the become pets. Servers should be cattle not pets.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cancelbot posted:

It isn't!

web.environment.config is how it's done as we're a .NET shop. Our deployment pipeline will detect that and automatically apply an XML/JSON transform over them based on the deployment target, just their "staging" one was a cut & paste of the dev one with zero modifications. I'm pushing consul or at the very least environment variables as configuration so that I can remove that layer of silliness anyway.

It's important to note that the default behavior in ASP .NET land is to apply the transform at build time based on the build configuration, which is awful. You want the transformation happening at deployment time, so you can reuse the same build through a pipeline of environments.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Pollyanna's poor work place choices are a bright source of comedy in this dry forum. Please never stop posting, friend.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

It's important to note that the default behavior in ASP .NET land is to apply the transform at build time based on the build configuration, which is awful. You want the transformation happening at deployment time, so you can reuse the same build through a pipeline of environments.

Why would I want that? The release build is going to be different than the debug build anyway.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

1) I applied to a job opening for embedded middleware software development.

2) On the phone the job was described as UX design with no programming involved. Odd, but jobs are thin here and I'd done it before, so I didn't bail.

3) At the in person interview I found out they'd had a UX designer for over a year and what they really needed was a senior architect to untangle their spaghetti code. I wasn't thrilled until they offered me a 12% bump over what we'd discussed on the phone.

4) On my first day, they had me work on adding some new UI elements because they had a delivery due at the end of the month. I went along with it because it was a good way for me to find my way around their codebase.

5) 3 days into my new job, the CTO pulled me aside and asked me to work on a super secret project that had not even been mentioned previously.

6) 2 weeks after that I was asked to setup nightly builds even though I was the only person working on the project. Oh, and we don't want to use the AWS service we're already paying for, please use these old computers to setup a server to run the nightly builds on.

I wonder what I'll be working on next month.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A new job

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you're the one writing the spaghetti code now since they won't let you finish anything properly?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Giga Gaia posted:

Pollyanna's poor work place choices are a bright source of comedy in this dry forum. Please never stop posting, friend.

Lumpy posted:

Working in Development: Pollyanna needs to ask better questions during the interview process

If anime coming up during an after hours dinner is enough to make a job a bad one, then I suspect there's a looooooooooooot of bad jobs out there. This isn't even close to truly bad.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

someone post the article where people run a restaurant like an agile project i need it for a thing

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://steemit.com/food/@walden/our-lovely-restaurant-my-experience-with-agile-bureaucracy-and-unnecessary-complication

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

Why would I want that? The release build is going to be different than the debug build anyway.

I've been bitten by release builds exhibiting bugs that debug builds didn't. All builds in the CD pipeline are release builds unless a debug version is requested, but debug builds never go past lower environments.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

that's the one

ur gr8

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I feel as though I need to elaborate more, please take for granted that you may already know this but it's for the benefit of others in the thread:

We build everything in release mode using TeamCity with nothing transformed; we preserve the root web.config and every single web.environment.config gets bundled into a zipped artefact. The artefacts are then sent to Octopus deploy. Octopus will then select the correct file to transform the web.config based on the target environment and throw away the non matching transform files.

So;
- web.config
- web.beta.config
- web.staging.config
- all the other app files
Are all together in the MyApp.nupkg file.

1. Octopus will deploy to "beta" first, usually triggered by TeamCity
2. All app files are extracted to the target folder, on the target machine, in the target environment
3. web.beta.config will be applied to web.config via XSLT transformation, so everything that needs to change to work in beta has been changed on the real config.
4. Octopus then deletes all the non-matching transform files (in this case web.staging.config)
5. App is re-registered with load balancer

This is a fairly standard pipeline for .NET using TeamCity + Octopus, or so I thought? This has been working this way for years now. Until I created a new staging environment. They either didn't make a web.staging.config file, or made one that was copied from their dev files lazily and then I get blamed for everything breaking. Even though weeks before the project started all the teams were told to do these steps preemptively.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

If anime coming up during an after hours dinner is enough to make a job a bad one, then I suspect there's a looooooooooooot of bad jobs out there. This isn't even close to truly bad.

Anime isn't a problem. Anime wallpapers as desktop background isn't a problem. Introducing your anime desktop wallpaper as your wife is a (hilarious) problem.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Anime isn't a problem. Anime wallpapers as desktop background isn't a problem.

Opinions may differ on this point

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Volmarias posted:

Anime isn't a problem. Anime wallpapers as desktop background isn't a problem. Introducing your anime desktop wallpaper as your wife is a (hilarious) problem.

It was also very much in jest, so I really wouldn't take it that seriously.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Cancelbot posted:

This is a fairly standard pipeline for .NET using TeamCity + Octopus, or so I thought? This has been working this way for years now. Until I created a new staging environment. They either didn't make a web.staging.config file, or made one that was copied from their dev files lazily and then I get blamed for everything breaking. Even though weeks before the project started all the teams were told to do these steps preemptively.

That's how I've always set it up. I also use variables in Octopus where needed, because they can contain secret values that you don't want floating around in source code.

I actually prefer the old XML transforms to how it's commonly done now in ASP.NET Core, where you have the environmental 'transform' files as JSON overrides that get applied on top of the base config.json at runtime. It makes it difficult to know exactly what the settings are, where before you could just look at the transformed XML.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

rt4 posted:

Sounds like you're the one writing the spaghetti code now since they won't let you finish anything properly?

Probably. I'm very much learning by doing. Right now I'm trying to synchronize ios and android builds by pushing version information from a .txt file into the respective formats' versioning files and doing some sanity checks after the second build finishes. Pretty janky. I should check and see if I can do both in the same Jenkins job. Although that would mean I would only see the first failure.

Maybe if I distributed the joint build only on success and then converted the singleton builds I've got now to only send emails on failures.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lumpy posted:

Why? She's being matched with the perfect companies for her.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I've been bitten by release builds exhibiting bugs that debug builds didn't. All builds in the CD pipeline are release builds unless a debug version is requested, but debug builds never go past lower environments.

:doh: you're right, of course there's no loving point in deploying a debug build to QA or Acceptance

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

anime is probatable in yospos. a good, just and fair ruling

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

someone post the article where people run a restaurant like an agile project i need it for a thing

spotted at a deli

pretty good use of it actually

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

KoRMaK posted:

spotted at a deli

pretty good use of it actually

Oh man I can't wait to get the Zingerman's box a family friend sends us every year at Christmas.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Why have a desktop background as waifu when you can benchmark with waifu?

I'd hire Pollyanna if I was in a place to do so. We seem to participate in all the same threads. Actually I dunno if Pollyanna ever posted in the military history thread. Gotta check that. I'd just be afraid the organization would immediately turn completely crazy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

Uh?

I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to automatically rewrite connection strings in config files as part of deployment to prevent that specific sort of thing, I would hope.

Or, hell, environment variables.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd hire Pollyanna if I was in a place to do so. We seem to participate in all the same threads. Actually I dunno if Pollyanna ever posted in the military history thread. Gotta check that. I'd just be afraid the organization would immediately turn completely crazy.

Hey, those are actually good utilities.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If anime makes things crazy then I don't want to be sane :colbert:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

pigdog posted:

Hey, those are actually good utilities.

Pollyanna posted:

If anime makes things crazy then I don't want to be sane :colbert:

Go right ahead, but does having somebody's yamato nadeshiko waifu improve its effectiveness?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
They must have quite bit of faith in their product, to face the ridicule of putting their animu wife in it if the product didn't perform. So it's kind of encouraging to be honest.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

pigdog posted:

They must have quite bit of faith in their product, to face the ridicule of putting their animu wife in it if the product didn't perform. So it's kind of encouraging to be honest.

I’m unconvinced.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

surely there are rules against NMS content in a work chat thread

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I find what’s inside the box to be much more offensive.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pollyanna posted:

I find what’s inside the box to be much more offensive.

You open it up and there's a manila envelope and a sheet of paper, which reads:

We just took a picture of you opening up a box with anime waifu all over it. Drop this envelope off to the man sitting at the second bench from the right corner across the street or we will publish the picture all over the Internet."

Except there are a few spelling errors that would only be readily done on a Cyrillic keyboard.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

So it finally happened: A live deployment failed as someone duplicated configuration which caused a duplicate key exception and took everything out for us. Easy SQL update and the team have applied a fix that will be promoted up.

3 hours later...

During testing of their fix, they ran the breaking SQL against production AGAIN thinking they were connected to test.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you should store connection info in the environment instead of the repo imo

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

I completely agree. There's just years of institutional crap I need to clean up where people just hop onto production SQL for "quick fixes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Doing my first ever production deploy tonight which entails changing the primary and foreign keys on ~100 million rows and changing the application services to use the new thing. Fingers crossed.