Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bottom Liner posted:

Why would you ever think Pence would do that? He clearly only took the job assuming he would end up President. No way in hell he voluntarily goes down to save anyone.

The narrative is now that Trump's transition team leaders gave Flynn his orders to contact the Russians. And Pence headed the transition team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

happyhippy posted:

Only solution Trump has now is the Baltimore cop way.
Harbor duty?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

evilweasel posted:

He wasn't charged with more than one crime, that's how we know he flipped. There is an airtight case he was an illegal foreign agent among other open and shut crimes he would be unable to defend against that haven't been charged.

I'm not sure I understand this train of thought. So he won't be charged with any other crimes, and we know that for a fact? Is the leverage on him to flip the threat of more charges that they're declining to bring? Wouldn't it have been better for the country to have him charged as an illegal foreign agent?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The desperation to get this done before Trump collapses entirely means they are going to pass it for sure.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah, honestly, they're gonna use all this bullshit as smoke screen to pass the tax hike.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Drone posted:

The narrative is now that Trump's transition team leaders gave Flynn his orders to contact the Russians. And Pence headed the transition team.

I thought it was Trump himself. Goddamnit, it NEEDS to be Trump himself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Drone posted:

But Pence did not let that info out and would never willingly confirm that. The administration might throw him under the bus to save Trump but Pence himself would never sacrifice anything for anyone.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Drone posted:

So I can't help shake the feeling that Pence will be the one who has to jump on this grenade, and Trump will somehow cling on like the shitsmear he is.

Who's the next most likely VP nominee? Trump actively hates pretty much every moderate alternative from the Senate or state governors. Paul Ryan?

Trump hates Ryan more than (nearly) anyone for not getting healthcare reform passed. Lindsay Graham has gone to bat a lot for him lately so it's possible he's built up a small amount of goodwill.

e: watch it be Roy Moore

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

yep, if they got Collins, Moran, and Johnson, then thats probably it. The only obstacle left is the HFC crazies doing something in conference committee, but I am not counting on that at all.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, honestly, they're gonna use all this bullshit as smoke screen to pass the tax hike.

It isn't bullshit, but yeah, they'll take advantage of the fact that their lovely tax cut is off the headlines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This seems to be Muellers standard play by play where he threatens to go after family members to get testimony and he just keeps digging until he gets to who he wants or what he wants.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Alter Ego posted:

I thought it was Trump himself. Goddamnit, it NEEDS to be Trump himself.

It was according to Flynn himself "...is prepared to testify that as a candidate, Donald Trump "directed him to make contact with the Russians."

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

yep, if they got Collins, Moran, and Johnson, then thats probably it. The only obstacle left is the HFC crazies doing something in conference committee, but I am not counting on that at all.

I thought the HFC were the deficit hawks and couldn’t stomach a 1.3 Trillion increase to the debt? Or is that another looney caucus?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I thought the deadline on reconciliation had passed when the healthcare thing flopped at the end of September and have been silently screaming for the past three weeks.

that was for the 2017 reconciliation bill, which is gone. they're using the 2018 bill.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They still have to pay for it and haven't figured that out yet

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

horse mans posted:

I'm not sure I understand this train of thought. So he won't be charged with any other crimes, and we know that for a fact? Is the leverage on him to flip the threat of more charges that they're declining to bring?

Yes, that is basic FBI 101. They always start near the bottom and start flipping people to go up to the top. The target was never Flynn, it is either Trump or if not him then as high as possible.

horse mans posted:

Wouldn't it have been better for the country to have him charged as an illegal foreign agent?

Not if his help is required to nail a lot of other people.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Ripoff posted:

I thought the HFC were the deficit hawks and couldn’t stomach a 1.3 Trillion increase to the debt? Or is that another looney caucus?

That's them, but even they seem to know that the party can't afford to screw this up, so they are on board.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Ripoff posted:

How much do you think they *actually* care about this purported belief

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They probably were like " Yea we're gonna go after your son and break him financially along with putting him in jail for a decade would you like to cooperate" and he said "Yes"

That's literally what Mueller does in almost all his cases

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If Trump and Pence both go who is next in line?

Also, do you think there might have to be new elections?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They still have to pay for it and haven't figured that out yet

Well you see we have this revenue trigger *gets slammed into the boards by a woman in a cardigan*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

horse mans posted:

I'm not sure I understand this train of thought. So he won't be charged with any other crimes, and we know that for a fact? Is the leverage on him to flip the threat of more charges that they're declining to bring? Wouldn't it have been better for the country to have him charged as an illegal foreign agent?

There would be no reason to charge him with one crime and not others, and he would only plead guilty if his deal barred charging him on the other charges (as long as he cooperated). Yes, that's the leverage on him, as well as the charges against his son. It would be better for the country to have everyone punished for all their crimes, but as a practical matter since you usually need lower level criminals to cooperate to get the higher-ups, it is accepted practice to offer them leniency in exchange for their cooperation to get the more important criminals.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Bicyclops posted:

I thought the deadline on reconciliation had passed when the healthcare thing flopped at the end of September and have been silently screaming for the past three weeks.

That was this year's reconciliation bill, the tax thing is using next year's reconciliation.

Josef bugman posted:

Paul Ryan

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Meadows has said he's opposed to the reinsurance funding that swung Collins's vote, and has been pushing for mixing the CR issue with the tax bill. Don't get your hopes up, but the loons could still be a wrench in the works.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/936641498346606593

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Speaker of the House and dead-eyed Randian sharkface Paul Ryan.

We don't do new elections if there's a fuckup like this.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Josef bugman posted:

Paul Ryan, and no, there's no provision in the Constitution for holding Presidential elections outside the regular four-year cycle, so it won't happen.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Paul Ryan, and no. The United States has no mechanism at all to call for snap elections for the president and vice president.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

SUrprised there's no tweet yet.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Remember that none of this matters unless enough GOP House members agree to impeach Trump. I'm as ecstatic as the next person to see all this come to light, but it's meaningless unless you're willing to bet on House Republicans having real beliefs.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm sad I'm not going to be able to watch Maddow tonight.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Josef bugman posted:

Ideally, any impeachment process will take us through the 2018 midterms and it will be Nancy Pelosi.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Boy the garbagefuck-in-chief sure is quiet on Twitter today.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

horse mans posted:

We suspect that for a fact because there's mountains of public evidence that his actions were criminal, and top legal voices were unanomous that Mueller had an open and shut case. So the speculation is that Mueller said "listen here Flynn, if you don't give us something good, then we're gonna lock you up for a long time and go after your son."

Flynn says "ok Mueller, if I can give you evidence that the vice president of the United States was involved in a crime will you go easy on me?"

M - "Yes Flynn, we will cut you a deal. Give us testamony on him or someone on his level and we'll only charge you with a single count of lying. You'll most likely get probation."

F - "we have a deal. Let me tell you everything I know."

Caros
May 14, 2008

:discourse:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pakled posted:

Paul Ryan, and no, there's no provision in the Constitution for holding Presidential elections outside the regular four-year cycle, so it won't happen.

President Paul Ryan, Christ. Does that guy give a single poo poo outside of his tax bills?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Am I the only one not excited about Flynn?

Like, he could have a tape of the orange gently caress telling him to suck Putin off and Trump would just deny it and Republicans would just go WELL THERE IS NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE and as always nothing would loving matter.

Meanwhile the media would be going "man there sure are a lot of sides to this argument how do you prove truth anyways?"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Josef bugman posted:

Paul Ryan
Orrin Hatch
Rex Tillerson
Steve Mnuchin
James Mattis
Jeff Sessions
and so on

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ripoff posted:

People are talking about deficit hawks in the Senate, not the House. The issue with the HFC is they're unwilling to budge on the 20% corporate tax rate. Not even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pakled posted:

Urgh, so what happens afterwards to make things better?

Like if Trump and Pence go down, will they try and take the other Repubs with them? Like could there be anything like "It wasn't just us they did it as well" going on?

And if that does happen how many seats down would the Republicans and Democrats be?

• Locked thread