Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

A new gunner in my company accidentally shot a deer with a training HEAT round from an M-1.

He was new and very nervous, and was having a really hard time identifying targets. While scanning haphazardly he mistook the deer shaped hot spot in the thermal for the PC shaped hot spot in the thermal. The TC was so flustered with the guy by that point he just yelled "Fire" when the gunner yelled "Identified".

Best part was that we had the video and audio recorded on a through sight video unit. To the gunner's credit he nailed that thing center mass.

Do you still have this video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Richard Bong posted:

I started a huge brushfire in Iraq with one that didn’t deploy correctly , melted the parachute, and dropped to the ground. Also when those rounds burst (at least 120mm mortars do this) the casing can fall on people and kill them. A guy in another troop called for illum Over some houses and killed a guy who was on his roof sleeping due to the heat.

We burned a Bedouin farmers field down in Iraq one morning when his campfire set off our flares and a few went right into his ten foot tall field. Another buddy had a flare launch while they were turning over the city and he watched it bounce inside the door of one of the local mud houses

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

I started a huge brushfire in Iraq with one that didn’t deploy correctly , melted the parachute, and dropped to the ground. Also when those rounds burst (at least 120mm mortars do this) the casing can fall on people and kill them. A guy in another troop called for illum Over some houses and killed a guy who was on his roof sleeping due to the heat.

during training at 29 palms we were doing a joint mortars/arty thing and all of a sudden we started hearing whistling over head from the illum cannisters

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I dropped a GBU-12 on a donkey on the Nellie range because it was standing right next to the target. In order to avoid paperwork they just had the next few ships drop on the same spot to get rid of the evidence.

Oh man I had to displace so an A-10 could use a couple JDAMs to reduce a structure in Paktika once, so I told the gunner to stare at the target and who was tied up outside but a poor innocent donkey. Dude never saw it coming. :(

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

during training at 29 palms we were doing a joint mortars/arty thing and all of a sudden we started hearing whistling over head from the illum cannisters

I threw a lot of those things up and down MSR Tampa, I have to assume that the net positive from feeding the scrap metal economy outweighed the potential destruction caused by 900MPH cannisters bouncing off houses/cars/people.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I threw a lot of those things up and down MSR Tampa, I have to assume that the net positive from feeding the scrap metal economy outweighed the potential destruction caused by 900MPH cannisters bouncing off houses/cars/people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pFat3VTkI

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Oh man I had to displace so an A-10 could use a couple JDAMs to reduce a structure in Paktika once, so I told the gunner to stare at the target and who was tied up outside but a poor innocent donkey. Dude never saw it coming. :(

Yeah we were right off MSR Tampa.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Hah. Every time we test fired in OIF/OEF we'd sweep the range, it'd appear clear, then within five minutes a motorcycle with three people would appear underneath you to catch brass. The guys around Kandahar trained pilots there by setting up stacked rock targets which would make it easier to collect brass and rockets, maybe these "sons of the soil" could implement the same technique.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I never heard about this and stumbled upon this video. Holy poo poo at the 2 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/U4t4LC-wZYo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Blind Rasputin posted:

I never heard about this and stumbled upon this video. Holy poo poo at the 2 minute mark.

The comments are a real treat on that one

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

XelrisMZ
XelrisMZ
7 months ago (edited)
I never had the heart to blow up Megaton City.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

rocket doods call the wacky ones skywriters or surrender dorothys.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Hah. I went back and read them. Jesus.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jesus Christ

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hah. Every time we test fired in OIF/OEF we'd sweep the range, it'd appear clear, then within five minutes a motorcycle with three people would appear underneath you to catch brass. The guys around Kandahar trained pilots there by setting up stacked rock targets which would make it easier to collect brass and rockets, maybe these "sons of the soil" could implement the same technique.

We constantly had to cease fire at Texas range outside KAF because the brass catchers would show up in the middle of our range session.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I've driven past a bunch of lean-tos and makeshift homes with modified ATVs, dune buggies, gators, etc sitting around on the way to that bombing range. Also had a flight of cobras have to abandon a hellfire run because they spotted an ATV with a trailer hauling rear end with pieces of metal targets strapped to the back.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My first trip to Afghanistan we drove out to the middle of 'nowhere' to shoot mk19s and M2s. While we're shooting a big group of people from a village a half mile away gather and watch as we blow poo poo up. Once we wrapped up they rush in and start fighting over the brass piles.

On another trip I got to ride and jump a lovely little honda motorcycle because the AA dudes were preoccupied with gathering all our brass.

Being American and not having to give a gently caress about scrap metal rules

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Bring over all the scrappers from GWOT nations. Give them work visas to perform all range clearing on US military installations.
-millions of green suiter man-hours saved not having to walk up and down the range complex collecting brass, dunnage, and turning it in
-they collect at a higher percentage than soldiers would, increasing dollar recovery yield per training event
-their families now economically bought-in to US prosperity and military spending
-built-in population of native linguists now operating at every base for training opportunities
-extra soldier time now available to complete 350-1 training requirements, sexual assault and domestic abuse instantly eliminated from ranks

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bring over all the scrappers from GWOT nations. Give them work visas to perform all range clearing on US military installations.
-millions of green suiter man-hours saved not having to walk up and down the range complex collecting brass, dunnage, and turning it in
-they collect at a higher percentage than soldiers would, increasing dollar recovery yield per training event
-their families now economically bought-in to US prosperity and military spending
-built-in population of native linguists now operating at every base for training opportunities
-extra soldier time now available to complete 350-1 training requirements, sexual assault and domestic abuse instantly eliminated from ranks

But can we half-rear end this somehow? :thunk:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yes but how does the overseeing contractor cut a skim out of it? :thunk:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Those questions can be each other's answers.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That sounds like too big a job for the existing alphabet soup. We should create another Department to handle it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

That sounds like too big a job for the existing alphabet soup. We should create another Department to handle it.

I'd like to put in a bid to form the exploratory committee to assess the feasibility of creating this new department.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Don't forget the obligatory spots for SNCOs and officers to get handed to them on retirement day to get approval at the local level.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, and make sure that there's an office in my district!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vote for me, I'm creating jobs for good, hardworking Americans.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

We constantly had to cease fire at Texas range outside KAF because the brass catchers would show up in the middle of our range session.

shouldve introduced them to lead catching imho :twisted:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

https://planeform.myshopify.com/products/growler-sky-art-christmas-ornament

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Do you still have this video?

Unfortunately not but I'll never forget it. You could see the round arcing toward the deer, and at the last moment it seemed to look up as if to say "huh?"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

All right, which one of you clowns is this?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

All right, which one of you clowns is this?

Not me but I want one of those now

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Not me but I want one of those now
$6 on Amazon.

edit: There's a glow in the dark version too

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/936972995523948546

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Guy would be right at home in a 1986 nightclub

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/b38gtJh.gifv

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

vietnam.gif

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://i.imgur.com/S6DeQ3Y.gifv

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
So close but so far

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
if I knew how to do compositing in video better i'd totally change that into a

code:
L
 O
  L
or a dong

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Blind Rasputin posted:

From the AirPower thread holy poo poo lol
https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=294_1512586004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
That was the most amazing round of "just the tip" I've ever seen. :fap: