Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Taxes posted:

Looking to buy my first nice pen, perhaps a Sailor Professional Gear. Has anybody had much success buying pens from Japanese sellers on eBay? I've had 3 consecutive orders come back as cancellations on Rakuten because the seller didn't actually have the item in stock so I figured that I would look elsewhere.

I'm familiar with and have purchased ink from cool-japan and pisuke2005 in the past, but would like to know about some others to compare prices. Thanks!

When I buy Japanese market pens I tend to buy from Amazon, just because they have a better Buyer's guarantee than eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.

grack posted:

When I buy Japanese market pens I tend to buy from Amazon, just because they have a better Buyer's guarantee than eBay.

Some good looking deals on there, thanks! Anything I should watch out for? Is it best to go with third party sellers that are handled by Amazon, or does Amazon's guarantee work with anything on it's site?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Taxes posted:

Some good looking deals on there, thanks! Anything I should watch out for? Is it best to go with third party sellers that are handled by Amazon, or does Amazon's guarantee work with anything on it's site?

Amazon's guarantee works for everything sold on the site.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201889410

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Taxes posted:

It covers anything sold through Amazon.com, whether or not the item is fulfilled by an Amazon warehouse.

It does not cover purchases made with Amazon payment on other websites.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

grack posted:

Amazon's guarantee works for everything sold on the site.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201889410

Platystemon posted:

It covers anything sold through Amazon.com, whether or not the item is fulfilled by an Amazon warehouse.

It does not cover purchases made with Amazon payment on other websites.

Thanks, y'all - much appreciated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve ordered a few pens and inks from Japan through eBay and Amazon and never been stiffed, but I should note that economy shipping takes a long time.

Expect it to take longer than shipping from China.

e: I am currently waiting on a bottle of ink I ordered thirty‐six days ago.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 28, 2017

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
For anyone who wants Diamine ink on the cheap, Seitz-Global on Amazon is selling what I'm guessing are older version bottles for crazy cheap. I was going to put Aqua Lagoon on my Xmas list until I saw it for $6.94 shipped (albeit from Germany, so allow extra time).

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_4_12?me=A6BE82VNJ6BQ6&fst=as%3Aoff&rh=p_4%3ADiamine&ie=UTF8&qid=1511879937 to jump onto it and browse if you wanna.

Edit: disregard, I am a moron who didn't know that there was such a thing as small ink containers that Diamine sold. Still, $7 shipped from Germany is kinda nuts.

Edit 2: Oh man, someone please tell me that this ink really does what they say it does in normal conditions, because that effect is SO cool. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/organics-studio-walden-pond-ink

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 28, 2017

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

MJP posted:

Edit 2: Oh man, someone please tell me that this ink really does what they say it does in normal conditions, because that effect is SO cool. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/organics-studio-walden-pond-ink

It's a quality that turns up in a few different brands of ink, within that color-range. Herbin's 1670 Emeraude does it (with bonus gold glitter) and so does Sailor's Pheasant, and at least one Diamine.

I loving love Emeraude, but it's not great for fine-tipped pens. It's insane in a Pilot Parallel though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a bottle of Nitrogen Royal Blue that went from being my favorite ink to never entering another pen I own in the space of a week. I used a ton of it only to realize that it never, ever, ever fully dries and will smear badly even four months after the fact. It dries out in pens and is insanely hard to clean out. It’s the least waterproof ink I’ve ever seen. My friend sent me a letter in it and some very light rain all but obliterated portions of the letter. Not even smeared, they were straight up gone.

So yeah, Organics Studio inks are pretty, but that’s all they are. Such a disappointment.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wow what kind of bastard ink only dries inside the pen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FAUXTON posted:

Wow what kind of bastard ink only dries inside the pen

I’m thinking it’s like gumming up.

Thick enough to wreck the fine passages of the pen, but mobile enough to smear.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Pixelante posted:

It's a quality that turns up in a few different brands of ink, within that color-range. Herbin's 1670 Emeraude does it (with bonus gold glitter) and so does Sailor's Pheasant, and at least one Diamine.

Robert Oster Fire & Ice is another turquoise with a strong red sheen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Petrol does the same thing, but only for pen/ink website owners reviewing it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

e: I am currently waiting on a bottle of ink I ordered thirty‐six days ago.

This ink arrived the next day, for what it’s worth.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Platystemon posted:

I’m thinking it’s like gumming up.

Thick enough to wreck the fine passages of the pen, but mobile enough to smear.

I misspoke a bit, the ink does “dry” on the paper but it will smear badly even months later. I think it’s just so thick with whatever gives it the crazy sheen that it just never quite binds to the paper. The caveat is that I was using an Ahab with a stub nib to write, but even in that incredibly wet pen it would dry on the nib to the point that I had to dip it in water to get it to write at all.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I really have no truck with inks of that nature.

It’s trivially easy to add a metric fuckton of whatever to an ink formulation to make it give off that sheen so many people fawn over in the Facebook groups, but much more difficult to do all that without compromising on the basic qualities of a writing ink (ie has to actually adhere to paper and not smear after ages).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My mom told me the local library was going to have a fountain pen group meeting and wondered why I jammed my fingers in my ears, closed my eyes, and went "Lalala I can't hear you!" In retrospect, I should have probably jammed my fingers in my eyes and closed my ears instead.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
It's not too late to join the FPSASS gift exchange.

Sign up before the deadline, or at least before the actual day I do the rotation!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This may be a dumb question, but what size cartridge is this?

I'm thinking about ordering new cartridges for my MB and I'm thinking about looking at different brands.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

Standard international short

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great, thanks

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

MJP posted:

Edit: disregard, I am a moron who didn't know that there was such a thing as small ink containers that Diamine sold. Still, $7 shipped from Germany is kinda nuts.

Shipping from amazon can be weird sometimes. I got a bottle a Pelikan Tanzanite and it was 4 dollars cheaper to get it shipped from Germany than it was to buy a bottle that had already been imported.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a clear piston converter that will fit in a Metro? I run out of ink at inopportune times :-(

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

MJP posted:

Is there a clear piston converter that will fit in a Metro? I run out of ink at inopportune times :-(

yeah its called a wing sung 698.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Professor Shark posted:

This may be a dumb question, but what size cartridge is this?

I'm thinking about ordering new cartridges for my MB and I'm thinking about looking at different brands.

Diamine cartridges are great. Honestly though I really like MB inks a lot, even if the pens don't catch my fancy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MJP posted:

Con 40 or 50 fit, but they hold less ink than the squeeze converter.

Refilling Pilot cartridges may be your best choice for large ink capacity and ability to check fullness.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I change ink so often that I have no idea how anyone worries about capacity.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pixelante posted:

I change ink so often that I have no idea how anyone worries about capacity.

If capacity is too high I hardly ever get to change inks, I worry about that sometimes.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

taqueso posted:

If capacity is too high I hardly ever get to change inks, I worry about that sometimes.

Who waits until the end of the barrel to make a change? I loaded some Graf von Faber midnight that suuuuucked.

RELOAD. IMPERIAL PURPLE TO THE RESCUE BABY.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Namisu Nova is up on Massdrop at a good price and ends today. Yay or nay?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Diamine cartridges are great. Honestly though I really like MB inks a lot, even if the pens don't catch my fancy.

I had issues with feathering using Field Notes with Mystery Black. I should revisit it after changing to Moleskine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The pattern is honestly kind of hypnotic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's me, I'm the one guy who never changes inks

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Last chance to join the Secret Santa exchange!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a sucker for something that resembles a cityscape at night and Vacumatics have that wonderful striated design that just hits me in the right spot. I'm iffy about owning one, though, from how picky everyone says they can be. Is there a design in the $150 or below range that comes with or will take an F or EF nib that has something similar to Vacumatic striations/striping/etc.? Thus far it seems like it's the Vacumatic and the Sheaffer Balance that have the niche, although someone on /r/fountainpens linked me to a place that sells pen blanks, and seeing the sheer variety there is a mind-blower.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
drat. I hate it when I run out of ink at work. At least I'm the special kind of crazy that brings an extra pen regularly. And it means switching ink colors!

Pixelante posted:

Last chance to join the Secret Santa exchange!

Definitely sign up--it's tons of fun! Thanks for organizing it, Pixelante!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MJP posted:

I'm a sucker for something that resembles a cityscape at night and Vacumatics have that wonderful striated design that just hits me in the right spot. I'm iffy about owning one, though, from how picky everyone says they can be. Is there a design in the $150 or below range that comes with or will take an F or EF nib that has something similar to Vacumatic striations/striping/etc.? Thus far it seems like it's the Vacumatic and the Sheaffer Balance that have the niche, although someone on /r/fountainpens linked me to a place that sells pen blanks, and seeing the sheer variety there is a mind-blower.

Picky? Nah, none of the restored ones I have are picky. Mine are extremely wet pens, and you should be aware of the ink you use as it celluloid in direct contact with the ink. (No Baystate Blue, be careful of staining. ) But they write so well, and hold a decent amount of ink. They're also a headache to clean, but if you don't change inks frequently that shouldnt be an issue.

Custom pens will run well I write your budget, but you will get a nice work of art out of it. I love mine. I wish I could find a Vacumatic-style stacked coin blank!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, someone pointed me at blanks. I might go that route if I can find one that fits the look and can be made custom. As much as I like the idea of a 1940s pen I do worry about being tied into ink. If it would cost the same, I at least hopefully get a modern filler.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

The pattern is honestly kind of hypnotic.

The OpArt Ambitions are the pens that broke my "I don't understand why people collect a bunch of the same pens" stance. Not only do I have all of those, I have a bunch of others, too. I just really, really like 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm getting that yellow Lamy Safari for Christmas from my girlfriend. I ended up choosing Monteverde's Capri Blue over the Horizon Blue, I think because I liked Megabound's Montblanc Blue for BMW so much! They look pretty similar, and I understand that there are some conspiracy theories that MV and MB use the same formulas or factories or something

I'm going to nickname the pen "Sunny Day"