Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Anybody have any experience with wormwood plants and/or Artemisia plants? I've read they are super duper durable, and virtually nigh-unkillable. There's Artemisia absinthium to make absinthe out of, if any goon is crazy/skilled enough, probably the most notable wormwood. But they look so goddamn good, especially the Silver Mound Artemisia one I bought:

^ Not my pictures, though the last one is very close to the one I have before I split it.

Artemisia schmidtiana, split it into two, and planted them a few months ago. Spread a bunch of grass clippings over them for drainage and overall covering.

A hanging basket stupidly fell on one of the split specimens several times, but seemed fine afterward. Eventually the cold came in and the plants started to wilt and wane, as well as some seed nodules forming I think? I gave them a trim afterward to take energy from seeding and put it back into the roots to help them settle in better.

After all that I thought they were dead but...I saw signs of new growth after they were split, like a very teeny tiny, bushier version of it. It's still there, with all the coloring and dense foliage. I think they'll be just fine.

Anybody else plant/know about this stuff?

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

EorayMel posted:

After all that I thought they were dead but...I saw signs of new growth after they were split, like a very teeny tiny, bushier version of it. It's still there, with all the coloring and dense foliage. I think they'll be just fine.

Anybody else plant/know about this stuff?

It's a perennial, so it should die almost all the way off now that it's cold in the Northern hemisphere. Next year it should come back better than ever. If you managed to kill it by dropping a basket on it (which I doubt), dividing the survivor up is probably your best course of action. You might want to give the survivor a year or two before dividing - I try to let my perennials double or triple in size from when I first planted them before I split them. Probably the earliest to divide it would be next autumn, right before it goes dormant again.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

vonnegutt posted:

It's a perennial, so it should die almost all the way off now that it's cold in the Northern hemisphere. Next year it should come back better than ever. If you managed to kill it by dropping a basket on it (which I doubt), dividing the survivor up is probably your best course of action. You might want to give the survivor a year or two before dividing - I try to let my perennials double or triple in size from when I first planted them before I split them. Probably the earliest to divide it would be next autumn, right before it goes dormant again.

Yeah, I was worried I did something horribly wrong (hanging basket attacks), but all my research points to them being quite hardy, plus the new growth coming in. I'm certain it'll come back tougher once spring ushers forth.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I've got several different Artemisia varieties in my yard, mainly because I have a thing for old-timey medicinals. I have two Artemisia absinthum which are in their second year and almost gotten out of hand- they had to be pruned back halfway through the summer because they were getting close to 5 feet tall and drowning out other stuff. I also have Artemisia vulgare, or mugwort, more as a curiosity for brewing experiments than anything because it's not anything special in its appearance or growth (it looks a lot like the wormwood, but without the nice green-grey color, it's just sort of downy greyish on the undersides). I also have one of the decorative hybrids, an Artemisia x 'Powis Castle' which is on year 5 or 6 so far.

I've found that I can and often have to prune my Artemisias back pretty severely at the end of winter so they don't become a leggy mess the next year. My Powis Castle in particular will get extra woody if it doesn't get pruned back. Your plant that got dropped on is probably just fine. Also, worst case scenario, you can take a cutting from the soft wood of Artemisias and root them pretty easily. I've done that to propagate my Powis Castle, just took a softwood cutting in the fall before first frost and let it root in a pot on my south-facing windowsill all winter, then next spring I had a nice plant to give to my friend.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I just put one I took from another friend in good dirt and a bigger pot and it EXPLODED in back buds

What kind of good dirt is the best dirt for jades?

Update about the voodoo bulbs for anyone who emailed me about them - the plants are just starting to die back now. I'm going to let them get good and dormant before I repot, so it probably won't be this month after all. There are definitely a bunch of bulbs in there, though - I found one just chilling at the soil surface this morning.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

listrada posted:

What kind of good dirt is the best dirt for jades?

Succulent/cacti mix, like most succulents.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Succulent/cacti mix, like most succulents.

To be fair, mixes vary between manufacturers and it's more than a little likely that Miracle Gro Cactus and Palm mix is the first one might run into. It works okay but it's REALLY heavy on the peat. I used this stuff early on when I began collecting cacti and succulents but hated that it became totally hydrophobic and prone to shrinking when I let my plants dry out between waterings. I'm also not sold on the benefit of the synthetic fertilizer they add. In contrast, the cactus soil formulated by my local greenhouse has a lot of sand and perlite with proportionally less peat and organic matter and I like it a lot better.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Miracle-Gro: I picked up some of the easy-dumb liquid pump houseplant feed and gave it to all the plants on my kitchen windowsill. They all reacted well or not at all, but my mature and robust peace lily now seems to have some outer-ish leaves that are always drooping. At first I thought it just needed water, but these leaves didn't perk up. The leaves don't look overly yellow or dead, but maybe a little blah; can/should I just trim them off and leave the central "core" of leaves to flourish? What are the odds the Miracle-Gro did this?

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

Speaking of Miracle-Gro: I picked up some of the easy-dumb liquid pump houseplant feed and gave it to all the plants on my kitchen windowsill. They all reacted well or not at all, but my mature and robust peace lily now seems to have some outer-ish leaves that are always drooping. At first I thought it just needed water, but these leaves didn't perk up. The leaves don't look overly yellow or dead, but maybe a little blah; can/should I just trim them off and leave the central "core" of leaves to flourish? What are the odds the Miracle-Gro did this?

The odds are really good. Peace lilies grow in tropical rainforests and contrary to what some might think, the (deep) topsoil is actually very poor in nutrients between leeching from regular rainfall and ideal conditions for organic matter to rapidly break down; most of the nutrients in these soils are tied up in biomass. This is one of these reasons why you see plants evolve interesting strategies to make up the nutrient deficit, like predation. I'll bet you overfertilized your Spathiphyllum.

If the leaves don't show visible signs of damage, I'd just flush the soil with distilled water until it's running free out the bottom and keep an eye on it. The leaves should perk back up; you'd be surprised with how much abuse these plants can take! I actually just brought in a Spathiphyllum I took outside to recover from absolute, chronic neglect.The poor thing had maybe 2 mature leaves left and a handful of tender new ones when I brought it out for the summer/fall. Protip: don't ever move a plant to a location where you're likely to forget it.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 15, 2017

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the tip! I never guessed one squirt of fertilizer could shock its system so much.

This particular plant was down to a slim stem and maybe one sad leaf when I pulled it out of its arrangement (from my grandfather's funeral in early '94!) and nursed it into the beefy specimen it is today. It was so thready and meager back then, in fact, that it took a good while for it to grow enough to be able to tell what it was. I'm confident it'll recover from this upset just fine.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mo Mold, Mo Problems:

I'm in the SF Bay area, this first one, girlfriend brought it home from ____ maybe trader joes, or some plant shop near her house in SF about a year ago. About three months in to taking care of it, it's gained some white crust, almost certainly mold or fungus of some sort. It doesn't seem to rub off easily. How do I get it off, it hasn't really hurt the plant yet but it's pretty ugly.

click to embiggen

Second, we just moved, picked up/impulse purchased a ginsing ficus thing from ikea for $15, it appears to have a fine carpet of mold, the soil seems to be a mixture of finely ground peat moss and potting soil, not sure what to do here, but would like some guidance. I've only watered it once when we first brought it home about five days ago.

I have about mmm 10 plants, they've all survived going on almost two and a half years and I had an outdoor garden for about five years previous to this so I'm generally aware of the dangers of overwatering, these are the only two to give me trouble so far.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I recommend a nice anti-fungal spray from your local big box hardware/garden store, and definitely trying someway to cut back on the humidity while improving the airflow around it. It seems like it's by a window, and I had an issue with a lot of my mini African Violets getting bad fungus because of that too. :( Maybe try wiping the window with a disinfectant spray too so that way it won't get reinfected so soon after the initial issue is solved.

With the second picture, I recommend letting the soil dry out between waterings, and watering from the bottom of the plant so that way the dormant fungal spores on the surface of the soil begin to diminish. Try plucking off any fuzzy moldy material and dead plant matter with your fingers as well. If you have any anti-fungal spray from treating the first plant on top, you can try spraying the entire plant (because fungal spores can lurk there too) and soil surface as well.

All advice from either situation can help each other so feel free to do both!

Also, here are some pics of plants (that are unfortunately not mine)

(so long as it has a drainage hole or some other planned method of drainage, this is fine)

(idk about tattoos but I have to admit that it's an awesome style)

(goals)

Echeveria ‘Peach Pride’

Echeveria colorata

Crassula are aliens and I love them for it.

Graptoveria メランコリー

hey wait...

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 22, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

My calathea plant has had this dead spot on one of its leaves for a while now. Is it safe to just trim off that part of the leaf with scissors?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can anyone help me identify this plant? It's blowing my mind. My wife received several cut branches in a bouquet back in June. After the flowers died these branches were still green, so she pulled them out and plopped them in a vase with some water. They've survived, without sending out roots, ever since. A leaf or two died, but overall these branches seem unkillable. Ignore the other stuff in the background – those cuttings are all from random plants around our yard.

What's more, I just noticed a day or two ago that a new branch (root? flower?) is growing out of the center of the bottom of each and every leaf. The main vein in the leaf terminates at a little nodule of some sort, and that nodule is now sending out new green growth.

Any ideas what this crazy plant might be?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It took some searching around because I have never seen this type of plant before, not to mention buds growing right in the middle of the leaves like that. It's honestly so alien to me it's cool. Love me some alien plants behaving oddly.

Searching through the list of plants florists use for greenery pulled up a lot of possible results, but the one that I'm most sure is the one is Israeli ruscus. This picture seems to show similar sorts of mid-leaf growth: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ruscus_israeli.JPG

Turns out the leaves aren't leaves at all, and are instead cladodes, flattened stems kinda like what some cacti have. And yet the cladodes still show monocot venation as to be expected from a regular leaf. God, modified plant anatomy is too interesting to me. I'm grateful to have learned a new sort of sneaky plant that looks like a dicot, but is actually a monocot. Good stuff!

If anybody is interested, maybe I could post some weird plant species and facts in here. Otherwise, keep the requests coming!

Boris Galerkin posted:

My calathea plant has had this dead spot on one of its leaves for a while now. Is it safe to just trim off that part of the leaf with scissors?

Calatheas are lovely, and I always wanted one but heard they are hard to keep happy indoors. Is that true? But yeah feel free to snip off the dead part to no ill effect!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

EagerSleeper posted:

Calatheas are lovely, and I always wanted one but heard they are hard to keep happy indoors. Is that true? But yeah feel free to snip off the dead part to no ill effect!

This is my first plant in my entire life so I have no idea how difficult it is, relatively speaking :v:

But I got it at IKEA cause I saw the beautiful maroon leaves and needed it. I think I end up watering it about once or twice a week, I just check the topsoil with my fingers. It’s sitting in my living room (south wall is entirely glass, and I have west facing windows) away from the shaded windows.

The only annoying thing I’ve noticed is that the bigger leaves/stems can break? I came home one day and one of them was just bent down. It was still attached and otherwise alive so I just tied it against another big leaf with that piece of string.

I would have put it on a dowel but the entire plant kinda moves throughout the day (it folds open/close) so I figure this way might have been better. Which speaking of, is another minor annoyance, being that I need to set the pot quite a bit away from the walls to give it room to sprawl open so it takes up more of a footprint than I’d like.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

It took some searching around because I have never seen this type of plant before...

I think you're right! If so, that means I should be seeing flowers and ... berries (?!?!) in the middle of the cladode soon enough. We still have probably 20 stems with five or so cladodes per stem, so we'll potentially see a lot of flowers. I'll post some pictures if and when that happens.

EagerSleeper posted:

If anybody is interested, maybe I could post some weird plant species and facts in here. Otherwise, keep the requests coming!

I'm interested! Another question – I have two lemon trees I germinated from seeds from a single grocery store lemon (long story as to why, but suffice it to say I won the bet), and the resultant trees are extremely different from each other. One is very upright and quite tall with broad, incredibly healthy looking leaves and lots of thorns. The other is squat, somewhat sickly looking with wrinkled leaves and no thorns at all.

I'm guessing that one of two things happened. Either the seeds came from an F1 hybrid tree and this is the second generation doing weird stuff, or maybe the seeds came from a grafted branch and one is showing traits from the branch while the other is showing traits from the trunk.

How likely are either of these scenarios, or what else might be going on here?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I wanna get a (couple of) ficus lyrata plants because every one I've seen in person looks like this:

Problem is, the store I went to only had ones that looked like this:

What's the deal here? I honestly thought that ficus lyrata just grew naturally into the shape in the first picture, but I guess not. The ones at the store also had a green asparagus like bark, not wooden like the first picture.

If I bought ones that looked like the second one, how much time would it take to turn it into something resembling the first one? How exactly do I make it grow like this? Pictures, videos, YouTube, with clear examples would be very nice. Whenever I search for "pruning" on YouTube I always end up with either videos about marijuana, or videos narrated by Indians speaking a language that I swear is not English (I don't mean that in a negative way, I seriously don't think those videos I'm thinking of are in English and not because of the accent).

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wanna get a (couple of) ficus lyrata plants because every one I've seen in person looks like this:

What's the deal here? I honestly thought that ficus lyrata just grew naturally into the shape in the first picture, but I guess not. The ones at the store also had a green asparagus like bark, not wooden like the first picture.

If I bought ones that looked like the second one, how much time would it take to turn it into something resembling the first one? How exactly do I make it grow like this? Pictures, videos, YouTube, with clear examples would be very nice. Whenever I search for "pruning" on YouTube I always end up with either videos about marijuana, or videos narrated by Indians speaking a language that I swear is not English (I don't mean that in a negative way, I seriously don't think those videos I'm thinking of are in English and not because of the accent).

The top picture required snipping the growth tip in order to cause the plant to branch out and then defoliating the trunk. Be warned that fiddle leaf figs are probably the most fickle plants I've ever tried growing at home. If things aren't perfect they'll be more than happy to let you know.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is my first plant in my entire life so I have no idea how difficult it is, relatively speaking :v:

But I got it at IKEA cause I saw the beautiful maroon leaves and needed it. I think I end up watering it about once or twice a week, I just check the topsoil with my fingers. It’s sitting in my living room (south wall is entirely glass, and I have west facing windows) away from the shaded windows.

The only annoying thing I’ve noticed is that the bigger leaves/stems can break? I came home one day and one of them was just bent down. It was still attached and otherwise alive so I just tied it against another big leaf with that piece of string.

I would have put it on a dowel but the entire plant kinda moves throughout the day (it folds open/close) so I figure this way might have been better. Which speaking of, is another minor annoyance, being that I need to set the pot quite a bit away from the walls to give it room to sprawl open so it takes up more of a footprint than I’d like.

May I say that your plant is stunning? Two flower spikes? What an amazing plant, and a very good pick!

The breaking isn't supposed to happen though, so your suspicions are right. Something that big should definitely have firmer leaves and stems that can be trusted to not break. It sounds like it got weakened by something, possibly from being watered too much, not having enough light (light strength diminishes exponentially with distance from the window), or any combination of both. Being watered twice a week honestly sounds like a lot to me, but it could be possible if it's a very thirsty plant in a clay pot. Just to be doubly sure, are you poking your finger into the topsoil? For a big plant pot, I recommend poking all the way down to the second knuckle of your finger and seeing if it's dry before watering.

My best bet would be to make sure it has plenty of light. These plants are usually labeled low-light, but as big a plant as it is, it's a big eater. A good chow down on some extra light should make it stronger. Hopefully this advice helps out a bit! Let us know how it does!

kedo posted:

Another question – I have two lemon trees I germinated from seeds from a single grocery store lemon (long story as to why, but suffice it to say I won the bet), and the resultant trees are extremely different from each other. One is very upright and quite tall with broad, incredibly healthy looking leaves and lots of thorns. The other is squat, somewhat sickly looking with wrinkled leaves and no thorns at all.

I'm guessing that one of two things happened. Either the seeds came from an F1 hybrid tree and this is the second generation doing weird stuff, or maybe the seeds came from a grafted branch and one is showing traits from the branch while the other is showing traits from the trunk.

How likely are either of these scenarios, or what else might be going on here?

Judging from research, absolutely correct! Commercial lemons are grown from clones, but are fertilized at random by bees, giving you that variety you noticed. The same is true of commercial apples, which are notoriously difficult to get a reliably tasty apple from seed, which is why cloning propagation is vitally important there too.

By the way, here's the fun plant fact of the day!

Cashews are pretty strange. Their name derives from the Tupian language's "acajú" which means "nut that grows itself". Looking at the way that cashews grow, it's not hard to see why they got that name.

The fruit part is called a cashew apple. In Brazil, they are favored more so than the cashew itself.

B-B-B-B-B-BONUS FUN FACT:

Some bamboos are capable of growing 3-5 feet in a single day.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I need to fix this overcrowded pot. The panda plant is smothering everything, so I think I am going to let it have the pot while I move everything else out. Will I be able to just gently shake the dirt out and separate the roots? How hard is it to chop off the top of the leggy white succulent in the back and just transplant the top?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

lwoodio posted:

I need to fix this overcrowded pot. The panda plant is smothering everything, so I think I am going to let it have the pot while I move everything else out. Will I be able to just gently shake the dirt out and separate the roots? How hard is it to chop off the top of the leggy white succulent in the back and just transplant the top?

The one in the back right kinda hiding out is very easy to transplant. I've cut off branches on mine and they've done just fine. I put them straight into a new pot and made sure they had extra water for a week or two.

Edit: Assuming it's the same as the big one in back of this image.

Question! Does anyone know what the heck this thing is? I've found them, of various sizes, on my plumeria all season. This one was about half an inch long. I remove and/or kill them, but what are they? It hardly matters now because this one was on the plumeria's last leaf, but still.

Plumeria's trying real hard to get this last bloom open before hibernation. I'm not sure it will.

Bonus:

Reformed Tomboy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 3, 2017

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
edit: ^ I love that last pic!

So a couple months back I found a gorgeous jewel orchid for sale, nabbed it, and brought it home. I've only recently gotten into plants, but I was really in awe of this one. It didn't do well, though, and I was starting to worry. I attempted to repot it, and found that it wasn't actually an self-sustaining orchid, but a cutting that had been made to look like a matured plant. I was pretty upset, and decided to try and salvage what bit of the stem I could and propogate it.

I have no idea what I am doing, and I've exhausted google's search figuring things out. I've had it in some sphagnum moss for about a month now and I wanted to know if this is progress or if it is molding on the small white part (which I am hoping is roots):

I know the short cutting isn't ideal, but it was all that remained of the healthy part of the plant when I figured out why it wasn't doing well :smith:

...I've gotten way too emotionally invested in this plant.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

The one in the back right kinda hiding out is very easy to transplant. I've cut off branches on mine and they've done just fine. I put them straight into a new pot and made sure they had extra water for a week or two.

Edit: Assuming it's the same as the big one in back of this image.

Question! Does anyone know what the heck this thing is? I've found them, of various sizes, on my plumeria all season. This one was about half an inch long. I remove and/or kill them, but what are they? It hardly matters now because this one was on the plumeria's last leaf, but still.

Plumeria's trying real hard to get this last bloom open before hibernation. I'm not sure it will.

Bonus:

I'm sure that's a ladybird aphid, don't kill them?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yes, a ladybug larva! Ugly bugger, isn't it.

More here: https://www.aboutanimals.com/insect/harlequin-ladybird/

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Hirayuki posted:

Yes, a ladybug larva! Ugly bugger, isn't it.

More here: https://www.aboutanimals.com/insect/harlequin-ladybird/

Aw man, now I feel bad. My neighbor has an aphid infested overgrown hibiscus that overhangs my plumeria. I knew I was getting some aphids because I was getting so many ladybird visits. They must have dropped down to my plant because I never saw any eggs.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Queen Gnome posted:

edit: ^ I love that last pic!

So a couple months back I found a gorgeous jewel orchid for sale, nabbed it, and brought it home. I've only recently gotten into plants, but I was really in awe of this one. It didn't do well, though, and I was starting to worry. I attempted to repot it, and found that it wasn't actually an self-sustaining orchid, but a cutting that had been made to look like a matured plant. I was pretty upset, and decided to try and salvage what bit of the stem I could and propogate it.

I have no idea what I am doing, and I've exhausted google's search figuring things out. I've had it in some sphagnum moss for about a month now and I wanted to know if this is progress or if it is molding on the small white part (which I am hoping is roots):

I know the short cutting isn't ideal, but it was all that remained of the healthy part of the plant when I figured out why it wasn't doing well :smith:

...I've gotten way too emotionally invested in this plant.

Go ahead and cut off the mushy brown part along with some healthy green part. You might have to loose that cool green sprout, but it'd be worth keeping the whole plant alive. After making the cut, let the wound dry out for maybe a day or two until it is dry/dry-ish to the touch. When it's ready, you can get some African Violet potting soil (and preferably make it more aerated using perlite and/or orchid bark media ), and plant the orchid in it. Preferably you could put the plant towards the edge of the pot instead of the center for better ventilation. Hopefully with the better soil, it can gain it's strength, and you'll be free to enjoy the beautiful leaves! :yum: It's really quite a lovely plant, and I can see why you chose it.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

EagerSleeper posted:

Go ahead and cut off the mushy brown part along with some healthy green part. You might have to loose that cool green sprout, but it'd be worth keeping the whole plant alive. After making the cut, let the wound dry out for maybe a day or two until it is dry/dry-ish to the touch. When it's ready, you can get some African Violet potting soil (and preferably make it more aerated using perlite and/or orchid bark media ), and plant the orchid in it. Preferably you could put the plant towards the edge of the pot instead of the center for better ventilation. Hopefully with the better soil, it can gain it's strength, and you'll be free to enjoy the beautiful leaves! :yum: It's really quite a lovely plant, and I can see why you chose it.

Oh thank you so much for the advice!! I’ve been so unsure, and this helps a ton. I’ll order some potting soil and let it dry out after trimming things up! Thanks a bunch! Hopefully I’ll have some good updates

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I have a ginger root that sprouted in my pantry. I'd like to grow it, problem is it's pretty cold here and I don't want it to just die. Can I put it in cold storage with my dahlia bulbs to get it to hibernate over winter or do I need to plant it and hope it stays warm enough to not die? I'm in 9A if it matters, we keep it pretty cold indoors here, like 63.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I actually have no idea if you could snip off the active growth and make them go back into being a dormant rhizome, but some of the stuff I'm seeing on the internet points to yes? The two options seem to be overwintering your ginger like you would your dahlias like you said, or perhaps deciding to go ahead and grow the plants indoor in a pot if you have a good enough source of light. I'm not sure which one is preferable to you, but either one might work!

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Hi, I'm trying to get back into gardening, but by putting stuff in my cube instead of having a plot of land. Are there any resources like books or websites that a beginner can learn how to take care of succulents? I couldn't find a thread about it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

May I say that your plant is stunning? Two flower spikes? What an amazing plant, and a very good pick!

The breaking isn't supposed to happen though, so your suspicions are right. Something that big should definitely have firmer leaves and stems that can be trusted to not break. It sounds like it got weakened by something, possibly from being watered too much, not having enough light (light strength diminishes exponentially with distance from the window), or any combination of both. Being watered twice a week honestly sounds like a lot to me, but it could be possible if it's a very thirsty plant in a clay pot. Just to be doubly sure, are you poking your finger into the topsoil? For a big plant pot, I recommend poking all the way down to the second knuckle of your finger and seeing if it's dry before watering.

My best bet would be to make sure it has plenty of light. These plants are usually labeled low-light, but as big a plant as it is, it's a big eater. A good chow down on some extra light should make it stronger. Hopefully this advice helps out a bit! Let us know how it does!

I do shove my fingers into the dirt to see how much water they still have. I guess I don’t really have a good gauge of what “moist” soil means but I’ve cut back to watering once every 1.5 weeks or so. If my fingers feel clammy then I just assume it’s still got plenty of water?

Anyway, I can’t really take credit for the two flower stalks because they were already there, but I can take credit for this lil guy

(Insert happy dancing emoji)

It’s blurry but I’ve finally realize what this weird green growth coming out of one of the stalks is :v:

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Speaking from personal experience the ficus variety you speak of can be quite lovely! It does need ample space due to the leaf size. The top photo illustrates a more mature ficus than the lower one, and that's the main difference. These plants don't like environmental changes and (like any ficus) will drop leaves in response to changes. As the plants age and mature, the accumulated leaf-drops show up at the bottom with the oldest leaves; consequently, they do tend to get top heavy over time. You can fix this by lopping off the leggiest trunks. I have one that's about 7 feet in height, and its 10-12 years old I'm guessing. These plants are actually fairly durable if they are undisturbed though; you often see them growing in large containers in hospitals, hotels and such.

LOVE,
VITALIS

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I need to find some gardening resources but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. The garden/yard surrounding my house was an overgrown chaos heap when I moved in. I’ve spent the last few months ripping out weeds and overgrowth until it’s starting to seem almost orderly... I’m basically tearing it all out and trying to start from scratch. What I’m really interested in is soil preparation and replacement. There are parts where the ground is soft and spongy and has weird moss around the grass, and then two metres away the soil is like sun-blasted gravel or something. Where would I find resources on replacing lawns from scratch, preparing soil, that kind of thing? I’d love to get the grass looking more uniform if it’s feasible.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rite Of Massage posted:

Hi, I'm trying to get back into gardening, but by putting stuff in my cube instead of having a plot of land. Are there any resources like books or websites that a beginner can learn how to take care of succulents? I couldn't find a thread about it.

Water sparingly (every two weeks is a good rule of thumb), plant in the sandiest mix you can find (I used to grow cacti in builder's sand as a kid, but you could just buy succulent mix), and give them lots of direct sunlight.

If by "cube" you mean office, maybe consider other plants that actually prefer indirect sunlight?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I need to find some gardening resources but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. The garden/yard surrounding my house was an overgrown chaos heap when I moved in. I’ve spent the last few months ripping out weeds and overgrowth until it’s starting to seem almost orderly... I’m basically tearing it all out and trying to start from scratch. What I’m really interested in is soil preparation and replacement. There are parts where the ground is soft and spongy and has weird moss around the grass, and then two metres away the soil is like sun-blasted gravel or something. Where would I find resources on replacing lawns from scratch, preparing soil, that kind of thing? I’d love to get the grass looking more uniform if it’s feasible.

The sun-blasted gravel part of your yard could be helped by top dressing with compost. I usually top dress 1x-2x a season until things look nice enough. Wait until rain is forecast in the near future and do it then. Use a hard metal rake to kind of break up some of the top crust and then sprinkle a layer of compost over it. If there's no grass at all, I'll add around an inch. If there is grass, I add as much as I can without covering the grass. The rain will start to leach the compost into the soil. It takes a while but you can amend soil this way without disturbing everything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Picked up a new plant today, the tag says it's a "Maori Corokai Silver." I think this is the same plant:

Does anyone have any tips/info on this thing? I'm not really finding anything on Google about this plant other than websites trying to sell one to me.

e: Took a picture.

I love it cause it looks dead and soulless and cold, like winter, and winter is my favorite season.

e2: Do my walls look yellow in that picture or is it my monitor? (My walls are white and it looks white on my iPhone.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 24, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Maybe try it's more common name: wire netting bush. And your walls look white.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I am seriously digging your furniture/color/decoration aesthetic, it's like asian/scandanavian minimalism done right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Water sparingly (every two weeks is a good rule of thumb), plant in the sandiest mix you can find (I used to grow cacti in builder's sand as a kid, but you could just buy succulent mix), and give them lots of direct sunlight.

If by "cube" you mean office, maybe consider other plants that actually prefer indirect sunlight?

Dang, I really enjoy the succulent vibe but maybe you are right. Anyone have any suggestions in good "office" plants?