Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Quoting this because I don't want this point to get missed. CIG isn't accruing technical debt, or engaging in a Ponzi, or any of the other poo poo, because they have a backer base who have proven time and again that CIG doesn't have to give them anything.

Can you really picture Miku and other of the most broken backers truly holding CIG to account a few years down the road when their enormous list of promises completely fails to materialize? CIG has this on lockdown with the "we'll patch it in later down the road, this is just a first implementation, more money will let us flesh these features out, most open development ever" and these backers literally believe they're helping build this game.

If the people funding this don't care if anything is ever delivered, then there is no technical debt.

Ok I'm gonna step in here and risk some pedantry. What they're accumulating is not tech debt. It could be more aptly called "backlog debt," which is where your story/epic (feature) backlog just keeps growing. You could call it feature creep as well.

Tech debt is when you implement something in a lovely, unmaintainable way either to meet a deadline, or because you didn't know any better, or both. Tech debt requires refactoring/re-writing parts of code that are already "done."

Land claims, just like new ships, is backlog debt. In the case of land, this is brand new code/functionality/assets.

CIG has plenty of tech debt too, in almost eveything they've made thus far, as evidenced by their glacially slow feature velocity. Their "pipelines" are getting clogged, not streamlined.

Toops fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Toops posted:

Can we all agree that Lladre is the worst poster in this thread?
I think Mirificus is, since he makes no posts of his own and thereby must be judged by the posters that inhabit his posts.

And they are very, very bad.

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Scruffpuff posted:

If the people funding this don't care if anything is ever delivered, then there is no technical debt.

They still have to maintain the illusion that the promised features are deliverable, at least in theory. If they promise 10 ships they have to actually make 1. If they promise a galaxy they have to at least deliver a planet. If they promise 100 missions they have to at least make a working box quest.

The backers don't want to play, but the dream still needs to be propped up by something.

The bar is low but it's there. 3.0 was enough. Soon CiG won't even be able to deliver that much.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

tuo posted:

they promised me I'd make millions at the grey market :negative:

Just hit up Clifford aka Miku.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Spiderdrake posted:

I think Mirificus is, since he makes no posts of his own and thereby must be judged by the posters that inhabit his posts.

And they are very, very bad.

He pulled out the Barky Barktona fanfic so he's on my nice list right now. Lladre though, Lladre I just can't figure out.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Lladre, what's your deal?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Toops posted:

Just hit up Clifford aka Miku.

Shut up and take my money!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Toops posted:

He pulled out the Barky Barktona fanfic so he's on my nice list right now. Lladre though, Lladre I just can't figure out.

In that respect, Mirificus is a better archivist than all of r/ds combined. As a bot, I think he cares not of our opinion of his posting.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOKUby5ZQM

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toops posted:

he did it almost immediately too. mirificus is a formidable librarian

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

alf_pogs posted:

he did it almost immediately too. mirificus is a formidable librarian

He holds a perfectly indexed encyclopedia of the star citizen poop.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I would also like to remind everyone of this scathing Kotaku coverage of CIG's land sale gaffe, which openly mocks Chris Roberts and CIG

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/29/star-citizen-will-now-sell-you-virtual-land-that-you-cant-have

quote:

Ahahahaha! Sorry, let me try that again. Yes that's right stargazers, the good folks at Cloud Imperium Games never stop in their quest to bring you the galaxy's greatest space gahahahahaha!

They're selling plots of land for money! For a game that isn't finished! And doesn't have land claiming mechanics in it! You'd think that selling virtual land gets you somewhere near to the line of 'money for nothing' but how much more beautiful it is when the virtual land can't even be claimed. It's double virtual, what value!

Here's how it works: you pony up £37.30 (a round $50) and get a wee beacon in return. This part is real. You stick that beacon in the middle of the land you want to claim and, if it's not owned by someone else, it becomes yours. That bit is still theory. Those are some brass balls alright! All the vacuum of space does is make 'em shine even brighter.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you value vomit over that of some nice tequila, I am fine with it. I don't care either way.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Toops posted:

Ok I'm gonna step in here and risk some pedantry. What they're accumulating is not tech debt. It could be more aptly called "backlog debt," which is where your story/epic (feature) backlog just keeps growing. You could call it feature creep as well.

Tech debt is when you implement something in a lovely, unmaintainable way either to meet a deadline, or because you didn't know any better, or both. Tech debt requires refactoring/re-writing parts of code that are already "done."

Land claims, just like new ships, is backlog debt. In the case of land, this is brand new code/functionality/assets.

CIG has plenty of tech debt too, in almost eveything they've made thus far, as evidenced by their glacially slow feature velocity. Their "pipelines" are getting clogged, not streamlined.

Pandantic arguments are the best arguments IMO.

What I'm suggesting is this: this project has absolutely no accountability, and the backers, who actually hold every card here, aren't supplying it, and won't supply it. In that case, as many backers have explicitly stated, CIG literally doesn't have to deliver anything. I did see the post from Pantsbird that the backers need something to prop up the dream, but I submit that they do not. They've proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that they expect nothing, and on the rare occasions they do get the sub-poo poo-tier work that CIG scoops on their plates, they're thrilled beyond belief.

So whether it's tech debt or backlog debt, they're not going to do it, it's not going to be developed or released, the vast majority (if not all) of their promises will go unfulfilled, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

It's devolved into a private cult that worships a non-existent game. CIG can literally do (or not do) anything they want.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tuo posted:

they promised me I'd make millions at the grey market :negative:

Thats what happens when you paint them

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Deathsquid
Apr 26, 2017

Are those serious or ironic, I am never certain.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

It's devolved into a private cult that worships a non-existent game. CIG can literally do (or not do) anything they want.
I don't think it goes that far. They're losing whales along the way, and the game has reached the point where it's impossible to proselytize due to being a bewildering pile of slop that is way beyond its expiration date.

But I agree that technical debt and backlog debt belie a fundamental confidence in the underlying psyche of the cultist whales I don't see the justification for. These people are not rational actors. They're pining for some nebulous dream but they are also satisfied with the idea of "current version plus two" will have core features like actual gameplay. They're excited over a box they might be able to do something with at the current rate of progression eighteen months from now.

It's going to be a slow, slow bleed.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/936715305606373378

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

You know I usually really like Obsidian Ant's elite dangerous stuff, but I really have to take issue with these glowing reviews.

Every single "It's beautiful" or "It's a great feel" should be prefaced with: IF YOU HAVE 32 GIGS OF RAM, AN I7, AND ACCESS TO A BRAND NEW SERVER. Like, the only time this game is even halfway smooth is if you have a $3,000 god machine and the server is at its best. At all other times it looks like Michael J Fox is holding your monitor for you.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

whichever is the biggest one will win

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

whichever is the biggest one will win
Already has a big lead, yeah.

I mean right there you have it: Dream big of ships that have been promised for years and none of them are even vaguely in game.

Have they even spawned a capital ship for people to walk around in or use as an fps level? heh

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Toops posted:

Yeah, I think we've been using "Engineering debt" for anything that involves them sitting down and actually start working on features like mining/salvaging/refining/manufacturing/pleasurecrusing/sciencing/newsvanning. The thing is, as that debt goes down, because they start working it, then technical debt naturally goes up as well because their foundation is absolute runny poo poo an things will break in new and exiting ways.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Spiderdrake posted:

Already has a big lead, yeah.

I mean right there you have it: Dream big of ships that have been promised for years and none of them are even vaguely in game.

Have they even spawned a capital ship for people to walk around in or use as an fps level? heh

No. They once said they were going to do exactly that with the Idris- make it static and explorably from the hangar, but that was years ago and the closest anyone's ever come is that "Morrow Tour" video that was also years ago and subsequently dropped.

The biggest in-game are the pirate Caterpillar which is currently on the PTU and is so plagued with door and hatch problems that nobody uses it, and the gas hauling Starfarer which you can spawn on the PTU but only if you actually own one, and it doesn't actually haul gas because there are no mechanics (so nobody uses it).

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/936694497672495104

:gary:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I had to be awake really loving early today, so very tired eyes.

Took me 3 or 4 attempts and leaning into my screen to see that CR's text does not actually say "GAPE COMMANDER".

:shrug:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
start probating people for not doing a cat tax. We have repeat offenders that love to post a million times a day and just ignore our most sacred of rites.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

That said, the biggest ships in-game are pretty large with multiple levels and really confusing layouts. CIG probably could put an actual capship in game, but it would literally just be a steerable level, because:
Engineering doesn't work
Turrets don't work
Flight decks don't work and the engine breaks if you dock one ship to another
Doors don't work
Power management doesn't work
Basically nothing works except spawning your ship and simple movement

My theory as to why we've never seen any- I think CIG has a development event horizon and the capships can't escape it. Basically every 12 months or so, Chris orders another complete overhaul of ship designs. The small ships can be done fast enough to eventually see some release inside a 12 month window, but the big ships basically get 80% of the way finished and then the poor fuckers have to start them all over again.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

start probating people for not doing a cat tax. We have repeat offenders that love to post a million times a day and just ignore our most sacred of rites.

The cat thing is dumb as hell.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

My God.

It's magnificent.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
If you want to post cat pictures, post cat pictures don't use the top of a page as an excuse.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

If you want to post cat pictures, post cat pictures don't use the top of a page as an excuse.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
nothing makes sense any more

:negative:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You post the cat tax hey that's great, if you don't, well hey that's great too, no need to feel bad people we are all gamer pals here

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/936700619385122818

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dude this poo poo isn't ending any time soon. The boy who called it indeed.

Sarsapariller posted:

My theory as to why we've never seen any- I think CIG has a development event horizon and the capships can't escape it. Basically every 12 months or so, Chris orders another complete overhaul of ship designs. The small ships can be done fast enough to eventually see some release inside a 12 month window, but the big ships basically get 80% of the way finished and then the poor fuckers have to start them all over again.
This actually starts to feel more and more likely as you begin to realize the true face of Star Citizen: Chris Roberts has scammed himself into think he's talented and not a carny hack.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

peter gabriel posted:

You post the cat tax hey that's great, if you don't, well hey that's great too, no need to feel bad people we are all gamer pals here

Your cat tax is pre-paid by your av, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

I see you'll find the fringe of my posts are gold, which means I do not have to adhere to your laws