Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah there is a very definite sense of skill progression even within one night of playing the game which is nice. The first time I play a hero is usually a total car crash but even just the second time is a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Is there a way to see your mmr at all or are we now stuck with this awful "here is your peak mmr bracket for the season" stuff?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

lohli posted:

Is there a way to see your mmr at all or are we now stuck with this awful "here is your peak mmr bracket for the season" stuff?
It's in the "stats" page of your profile, the one where it gives info about how you do with individual heroes, in the upper right.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As someone with no interest in ranked mobas at all, anything that makes it harder for a bad to say "whats ur mmr?" In response to any and all suggestions/critiques is a good thing.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

As someone with no interest in ranked mobas at all, anything that makes it harder for a bad to say "whats ur mmr?" In response to any and all suggestions/critiques is a good thing.

What is your mmr though

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Minorkos posted:

What is your mmr though

Idk, assume 420 because that sounds like a "high" number!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

420 is pretty bad, you shouldn't make suggestions or critique

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

uhh it's more visible than ever

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
be extremely careful playing dota if you are good at real rts games imo since it absolutely destroys the fundamentals of being good at most other stuff

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JollyPubJerk posted:

uhh it's more visible than ever

That's bad then

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

That's bad then

I mean I guess its only more visible if you don't suck at DotA

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man I don't even know how to play support in this game anymore. Ward half the map, buy smoke, gank lanes, win at least two lanes, and then I guess lose almost every game? Am I supposed to be farming too these days or what? It feels like you have to play a core hero to have a big impact but I maybe I just suck or something.

Maybe I should just pick Tusk every game and stop worrying about it.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
question for good players, i was lifestealer against weaver, ogre, shadow dem, spectre and necro. i went phase armlet deso linkens ac. was linkens the correct pickup?, or what shouldve i built. what if the other team had lc instead of necro, would linkens have been a good buy?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nah I think you have to offensive there and get a basher into abyssal. The SD can pop the linken with his ult even through rage, and out of rage it's super easy. And that's before they get any force staffs, diffusals, etc., which I'm guessing would add at least 2 or 3 ways to pop it with that team.

Against LC, I think it might still be better to go offensive. Especially if you're able to pop rage before he duels you, lifestealer's pretty good at handling the duel because of feast. I guess if he's going invis and the whole team is jumping on you alone the linken might be enough, since without the necro they have no stun through rage.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

be extremely careful playing dota if you are good at literally any other human activity imo since it absolutely destroys the fundamentals of being good at most other stuff

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

After playing him a bunch more times I don't think Pango is that bad honestly, the main problem right now just seems to be that pubs haven't fully caught on to how he fits into a team.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

JollyPubJerk posted:

oh so they hid MMR and now there's a loving number rank on everyone's names? Egos are going crazy on this poo poo. Just had an AM call me an autist because I said that an AM should beat an ES 1v1. He maxed blink and proceeded to whine all game. Ranked 500 overall! thehehehe this sucks.

If he maxes enchant totem he should probably beat AM

youre not very good at this game are you?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanomashoes posted:

Have you seen his videos?

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanomashoes posted:

except you're wrong. AM shouldn't let the ES get anywhere near the creeps for the first three levels, which means he has a huge deny advantage, early ROR, and total lane control in a 1v1.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

idk, im with nano on this

if its a straight 1v1, what are you just crushingly zoning out ES with for the first 3 levels? your level 1 mana break?? I guess if you can consistently keep him at 0 mana and he doesn't do anything ever to ever get the meager mana cost of enchant totem, yeah, you probably win that straight up

but if he just bops you in the face a couple of times, im pretty sure he's actually going to be the one keeping you off the wave??

e: i got baited into theorycrafting and i should probably be probated for that

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 2, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

After playing him a bunch more times I don't think Pango is that bad honestly, the main problem right now just seems to be that pubs haven't fully caught on to how he fits into a team.

Role: Javelin King (spec: Sultan of Spear)

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ambivalent posted:

idk, im with nano on this

if its a straight 1v1, what are you just crushingly zoning out ES with for the first 3 levels? your level 1 mana break?? I guess if you can consistently keep him at 0 mana and he doesn't do anything ever to ever get the meager mana cost of enchant totem, yeah, you probably win that straight up

but if he just bops you in the face a couple of times, im pretty sure he's actually going to be the one keeping you off the wave??

e: i got baited into theorycrafting and i should probably be probated for that

the hero with the better and faster attack animation and damage will win, assuming you don't buy stupid poo poo items

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Why the gently caress is AM soloing against an Earthshaker/Earth spirit/Ember spirit in the first place?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I calibrated at Crusader I have no idea what that is but I lost like 9/10 calibration games and got reported my last game for stacking and pulling so uh I bet it isn't great

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what the royal gently caress is this storm lvl 25 talent poo poo? He just flew across the map and instagibbed the entire team with exploding untargetable bullshit.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JollyPubJerk posted:

what the royal gently caress is this storm lvl 25 talent poo poo? He just flew across the map and instagibbed the entire team with exploding untargetable bullshit.

The one where he makes a remnant every 500 units? It's good but by the time everyone's at 25 you shouldn't be getting gibbed by it.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
The problem with storm isn't level 25 talents, it's how hard he snowballs and how hard he is to shut down.

If he was flying across the map going from fountain to fountain he should be able to do like 3000 damage though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

the bugged version or the regular version? IF you skill it mid flip it'll spam them ones it would've done if you skilled it before the flip start all in the same spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZXMZq4kzPg

9:55 if it doesnt keep the timestamp

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kild posted:

the bugged version or the regular version? IF you skill it mid flip it'll spam them ones it would've done if you skilled it before the flip start all in the same spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZXMZq4kzPg

9:55 if it doesnt keep the timestamp

thx. The first time he did it it (and I've ever seen it) it instapopped like 3 of the heroes and he didn't even travel that far. Might explain it

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
A lvl 25 shadow demon put me in prison for 8.5 seconds today while their team took my ancient

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Would a refresher be worth it to be able to make someone extremely upset by banishing them for 17 seconds?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

lohli posted:

Would a refresher be worth it to be able to make someone extremely upset by banishing them for 17 seconds?

just take the refresher shardyour team will understand why

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

lohli posted:

Yes.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
coming back after almost 3 years, I have to say Dota is better than ever

however I wonder how many more players this game will need to lose (it's lost about 140k players, a whopping 15%, over the last year) before they add a 20 min concede button or completely revamp their cosmetics/reward system

like I'm close to 2k hours played and what fantastic reward awaits me? loving nothing

how is this possible in an online game in 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kawabata posted:

however I wonder how many more players this game will need to lose (it's lost about 140k players, a whopping 15%, over the last year) before they add a 20 min concede button or completely revamp their cosmetics/reward system

like I'm close to 2k hours played and what fantastic reward awaits me? loving nothing

Actually, Dota 2 is fine and you're a bit invested in the downfall of a computer game.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
honestly i wish dota would loving die so i could stop playing it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kawabata posted:

if you want concede just play turbo mode so you can lose in 20 minutes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know why poo poo like Dota needs rewards just play and have fun man

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't know why poo poo like Dota needs rewards just play and have fun man

basically mobas only caught on because they bribe the players with rewards to ignore the poo poo parts of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Milky Moor posted:

Actually, Dota 2 is fine and you're a bit invested in the downfall of a computer game.

I love Dota! And no it's not fine at all, bleeding 15% of players over a year after a steady growth from 2012 to 2016 is not normal or a good sign, Valve knows it and players have been discussing this for a while now. Even the SA thread is dead as gently caress compared to last year.

What puzzles me is that gameplay wise Dota is the best it's ever been. Compared to 2 years ago more heroes are interesting/playable, the new additions look pretty good and the game now has excellent comeback mechanics that seem to be effective at preventing stomps provided the stomping players make mistakes/the losing team gets creative. It definitely wasn't like that once and I'm having tons of fun even in my placement matches.

The thing is, the qol improvements games like LoL have (concede button, encouraging you to make a team with different roles etc) are nowhere to be seen 5 years after the beta, cosmetics are the hardest they've ever been to get in Dota history (which is simply grotesque) and there's no carrot whatsoever for the hundreds of thousands of players that like carrots from time to time. New players will forever be stuck in the typical low bracket 4 carries team where everyone tilts after 15 minutes or you stomp the other guys because their picks are even worse. This is what their Dota 2 experience will be and Valve doesn't particularly care. The jokes on mobas being social experiments are kind of tired in 2017 and other games have successfully found ways to make that aspect less unpleasant than when the genre was still young.

I swear sometimes it feels like this game holds a grudge against its own players, especially if they're new.