Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"DON'T YOU GET THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE IT WORSE THAN YOU NOCT?"

What? No. Literally no one does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

esperterra posted:

Gladio rules, but yeah there's a ridic amount of reading between the lines (moreso than with the others) to really get what his deal is, so I understand people not liking him compared to the other two.

w/e more husbandolus pour moi

I get exactly what his deal is. He's the guy who is the bodyguard and loyal retainer to the king as well as his friend and is struggling to encourage him and keep him on his path while dealing the fact it puts him at odds with what is good for Noctis as a friend. He tries to force him to confront harsh truths and to think about people besides himself and to constantly move forward.

He's just really bad at it. Part of this is that Noctis gets mopey but even when he's moping he keeps going so Gladio's harassment doesn't feel much like slapping Noctis into gear but like bullying a dude who life shits on nonstop. Due to the heavy amount of cut content we also don't get to see much of Gladio being a genuine friend and when things at their worst it looks more like Gladio is being a shithead to a grieving dude and not trying to encourage him to keep going. Him abandoning the party is so poorly explained, especially before the DLC came out, that it basically sours the character, especially because in the time he's gone he's replaced by another character who is more likable and has a more interesting dynamic with the rest of the party.

It's easy to see how Gladio could be a good character, as he would be the one to support Noctis when he needs it and to metaphorically or literally punch Noctis when he needs that, but instead we don't get enough of the former and the story doesn't sell the latter. He would serve a more important role if Noctis was more flawed but he isn't. Gladio is a whole ton of potential squandered by poor execution.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 1, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The swamp dungeon with Aranea is the best part of the game, outside of maybe her boss fight.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the game really needed to touch more on Gladio losing his father as well, and pushing onward despite it. His being a dick later on to Noct would have gone down a lot easier if they focused some on the losses Gladio has been pushing through to do the job that needs to be done. Ignis and Prompto both have moments to draw sympathy from the player, and Gladio is lacking it despite there being a really great bit of development to be mined from the deaths in Insomnia.

His leaving the party never bothered me. There's a convo in the car where he laments not being strong enough after the mission to get your car back (or w/e mission it was he gets buttflustered about losing a fight) so while that also needed more fleshing out, I always got why he left when he did.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I get exactly what his deal is. He's the guy who is the bodyguard and loyal retainer to the king as well as his friend and is struggling to encourage him and keep him on his path while dealing the fact it puts him at odds with what is good for Noctis as a friend. He tries to force him to confront harsh truths and to think about people besides himself and to constantly move forward.

He's just really bad at it. Part of this is that Noctis gets mopey but even when he's moping he keeps going so Gladio's harassment doesn't feel much like slapping Noctis into gear but like bullying a dude who life shits on nonstop. Due to the heavy amount of cut content we also don't get to see much of Gladio being a genuine friend and when things at their worst it looks more like Gladio is being a shithead to a grieving dude and not trying to encourage him to keep going. Him abandoning the party is so poorly explained, especially before the DLC came out, that it basically sours the character, especially because in the time he's gone he's replaced by another character who is more likable and has a more interesting dynamic with the rest of the party.

It's easy to see how Gladio could be a good character, as he would be the one to support Noctis when he needs it and to metaphorically or literally punch Noctis when he needs that, but instead we don't get enough of the former and the story doesn't sell the latter. He would serve a more important role if Noctis was more flawed but he isn't. Gladio is a whole ton of potential squandered by poor execution.
I think part of it too is that Brotherhood kind of implies that Gladio always kind of resented Noctis from the beginning, which really frames some of his actions in FF15 proper in a negative light.

OTOH he still wants to go on goofy fishing trips and such so Idk. It's a confused character either way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

esperterra posted:

I think the game really needed to touch more on Gladio losing his father as well, and pushing onward despite it. His being a dick later on to Noct would have gone down a lot easier if they focused some on the losses Gladio has been pushing through to do the job that needs to be done. Ignis and Prompto both have moments to draw sympathy from the player, and Gladio is lacking it despite there being a really great bit of development to be mined from the deaths in Insomnia.

His leaving the party never bothered me. There's a convo in the car where he laments not being strong enough after the mission to get your car back (or w/e mission it was he gets buttflustered about losing a fight) so while that also needed more fleshing out, I always got why he left when he did.

The problem with Gladio leaving the party to get stronger is that it isn't well executed. Gladio doesn't really lose significantly in terms of his own strength and he doesn't come back in away that displays newfound strength. Another RPG would have him leave the party and then come back at an unexpected moment to show off his improved power and make you understand why he was gone. Hell, you see that in-game with Ignis getting his groove back after being blinded, where he gets a heroic moment of overcoming and helping the party. Instead Gladio just kinda shows up in a random place with a scar and nothing about him changes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it was definitely handled in a sloppy rear end manner, but they did the bare minimum for me to get why he left.

I was 100% expecting him to return during big showdown with either the empire or one of the summons. Not some lame rear end mission for Holly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
MERRY CHRISTMAS MOTHERFUCKERS, you're getting 25 Days of Final Fantasy Fanart and you're going to loving like it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ah yes my favorite holiday tradition, the advent children calendar

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Brother Entropy posted:

ah yes my favorite holiday tradition, the advent children calendar

I have a feeling that that guy was building up to that pun on the 25th and you just blew him out of the water

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I have a feeling that that guy was building up to that pun on the 25th and you just blew him out of the water

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

It's mostly the part where he is a constant unrelenting shithead to everyone around him without either the boyish charm of Prompto or the serious dorkiness of Ignis.

He's also the least developed and interesting even with DLC taken into account. He has some potential but for the guy who is supposed to be Noctis' closest friend and stalwart protector he ends up feeling like a real fucker and also is the guy who actually ditches the part which makes him look significantly worse.

He also has the worst 'character skill' in terms of flavor which does nothing to soften his character, whereas Prompto and Ignis have photography and cooking which give them a lot of flavor and memorable elements.

God, Gladio loving sucks.

You have a terrible memory.

Gladio isn't Noctis' best friend, that's Prompto. Gladio is Noctis' "shield" and protector. He's also his trainer and disciplinarian. He does what he's supposed to do.

And he doesn't actually turn into a genuine rear end in a top hat until after Ignis gets blinded. By the time that happens tons of bad poo poo has gone down and everyone is acting like a fuckhead due to stress.

You know because that's how people actually behave.

His biggest gently caress up was telling Noctis to consider how badly Ignis had it by being blinded right after Noctis just lost his fiancee. That was a pretty loving lovely thing to say.

Also his tattoo owns. Gladio owns.

Edit: I just read the rest of this page and yes I agree that he was poorly executed. He's just not THAT bad.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 1, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Sadly I'm not nearly that clever.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Gladio is a bad friend

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

You have a terrible memory.

Gladio isn't Noctis' best friend, that's Prompto. Gladio is Noctis' "shield" and protector. He's also his trainer and disciplinarian. He does what he's supposed to do.

And he doesn't actually turn into a genuine rear end in a top hat until after Ignis gets blinded. By the time that happens tons of bad poo poo has gone down and everyone is acting like a fuckhead due to stress.

You know because that's how people actually behave.

His biggest gently caress up was telling Noctis to consider how badly Ignis had it by being blinded right after Noctis just lost his fiancee. That was a pretty loving lovely thing to say.

Also his tattoo owns. Gladio owns.

No, Gladio is absolutely supposed to be Noctis' closest friend. There's dialogue about it and everything and it's even more clarified in the side material. His name is literally "Sword Friendship." That's his theoretical character. Prompto and Ignis are both obviously super close to him too but dude is named Sword Friendship for a reason.

And no, his behavior after Ignis is blinded isn't a particularly big change from the way he snaps at Noctis during other times of stress. Some of those can be justified (his own family being lost) but him being a snot during the Titan sequence for example is entirely just on him. He's supposed to be the one who is hard and pushed Noctis but they execute that part poorly enough that you don't see the parts where he isn't a poo poo very often.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 1, 2017

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Guys, why was the cut scene between chapters 1 and two like a highlight reel?

It was awkward and jarring.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I am all about Sword Friendship.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

when am i supposed to play the xv episodes? is it all post-game stuff or pre-game stuff or mid-game stuff or what?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stumpus posted:

They didn't have the money or time to make cutscenes for the game to explain what happened, so they just used clips from the movies. That happens multiple times so get used to it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stumpus posted:

That scene originally wasn't in the game and was added afterwards to try to add context. It's literally scenes from the tie-in movie thrown in because otherwise Insomnia's invasion is entirely offscreen.

Brother Entropy posted:

when am i supposed to play the xv episodes? is it all post-game stuff or pre-game stuff or mid-game stuff or what?

Gladio: When he leaves the party for a bit.
Ignis: During the big battle in watertown, probably after you finish it.
Prompto: When he leaves the party for a bit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gladio's more assholish tone to his inspirational speeches can also be construed as an extension of his own insecurity over the sack of Insomnia and exile of Noct as a crown protector who is supposed to be responsible for protecting both. Between that and family issues all he has left is trying to make sure Noct succeeds at his destiny or whatever and his frustration manifests in BEEF MAN YELL AT WAIF BOY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Everybody in the world has it worse than Noct, he's royalty protected by higher beings

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

corn in the bible posted:

They didn't have the money or time to make cutscenes for the game to explain what happened, so they just used clips from the movies. That happens multiple times so get used to it

And those clips weren’t even there when the game shipped. They were patched in with a gigantic Day One Patch

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saint Freak posted:

Jared did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

prompto had it worse

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Noctis was literally brought up so he could sacrifice his life for the greater good. I'd say he's got it pretty rough.

Also, the game never mentions that Gladius' father was killed in the attack, which just feels like a big missed opportunity. His actions just make a lot more sense if you know that.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 2, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Everybody in the world has it worse than Noct, he's royalty protected by higher beings

Noct has been raised from birth to be a sacrificial pawn for a horrifying set of gods with little in the way of genuine comfort, freedom or happiness aside from a few scant memories with his father and a small group of close friends. Him being royalty doesn't mean much when royalty in this sense means "the universe shits on you" and Noct is the most poo poo upon of his linage.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Noct has been raised from birth to be a sacrificial pawn for a horrifying set of gods with little in the way of genuine comfort, freedom or happiness aside from a few scant memories with his father and a small group of close friends. Him being royalty doesn't mean much when royalty in this sense means "the universe shits on you" and Noct is the most poo poo upon of his linage.

The anime kind of sets the tone with Noctis seeing how his father's responsibilities have crippled his body, and justifyingly freaking out about it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hia waifu just died, give him a break.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

He also has to spend his entire life watching his dad die at an accelerated pace in front of him which is why he's brooding all the time. He understood that from a very young age but I wish they had spelled it out more clearly in the game because I spent a large portion of time during the game being angry at Noctis for BROODING ALL THE TIME BUT NEVER TALKING ABOUT WHY HE IS BROODING. It wasn't until after I finished the game that I figured it out. Maybe I'm an idiot or maybe it was A Japanese Thing that was obvious but it took me a while to figure it out.

Also Noctis wasn't protected by poo poo. When he was in middle school he used to go off and brood in dark alleys by himself with literally no guards or protection of any kind. He also got sent off on his grand quest to meet his fiancee with 3 above average shlob friends and no retinue of any kind. You'd think they'd give him some kind of royal caravan or something but nerp just go with the cook and the personal trainer and the middle school friend.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah but he's rich and has a sick car and is gifted a model as a wife. He's got it made in the shade

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

Yeah but he's rich and has a sick car and is gifted a model as a wife. He's got it made in the shade

Apparently you don't have a family.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the ending of ffxv is bad because only one rich aristocrat dies instead of all of them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Noctis should walk a mile in Squall’s shoes and learn to appreciate his horrible life.

At least Noctis lives past the first third of his game!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It's mostly the part where he is a constant unrelenting shithead to everyone around him without either the boyish charm of Prompto or the serious dorkiness of Ignis.

He's also the least developed and interesting even with DLC taken into account. He has some potential but for the guy who is supposed to be Noctis' closest friend and stalwart protector he ends up feeling like a real fucker and also is the guy who actually ditches the part which makes him look significantly worse.

He also has the worst 'character skill' in terms of flavor which does nothing to soften his character, whereas Prompto and Ignis have photography and cooking which give them a lot of flavor and memorable elements.

God, Gladio loving sucks.

Pablo Gigante posted:

How the gently caress can you dislike a character who’s only goal in life is to find the best meat to add to Cup Noodles

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think that no matter what happens in Ardyn's DLC, I'm going to be disappointed. As much as I like the guy, we don't really need to know anything more about him, and anything more will probably just ruin what makes him good. If it turns out that he was just a power hungry jerk from the start and not this tragic fallen hero, that would suck. I like situations where a villain is just a villain because he's a villain and gently caress you, but we've had this current view of him forever and I have a feeling the DLC is going to try some retcon BS where it turns out he was actually evil even before the Starscourge.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Elephant Ambush posted:

Noctis: Being raised to, at the very best, be a living battery for a magic wall, and he watched his father become crippled doing just that. Loses his kingdom, his father, his fiancé, and feels responsible for his friend being blinded. And he rolls with it all.

But the first time something doesn't go Gladio's way, he runs off like a little bitch to 'get stronger.' Great job guarding your crown prince, buddy.

Prompto is there because he wants to be, out of friendship. You don't even need to delve into the alternate media for the reasons; he's just the guy that's genuinely Noctis' friend.
Ignis is there because he wants to be, out of duty and loyalty. He's not Noctis' friend; he's a loyal servant of the crown, a faithful and valued retainer, etc. He likes Noctis, but he also keeps to his role of quasi-authority over the young prince.
Gladio is there because he was assigned to the job. He doesn't particularly like Noctis, but goddamn it, he's a Kingsguard, and he's going to guard the gently caress out of that little snot, even if it kills one of them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm playing World of Final Fantasy way after it was a thing.

I'm just beginning chapter 21, where I have to do a bunch of interventions and boss fights.

Recommendations for good stack setups? I would like to power through to the end of this game and move on.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I'm playing World of Final Fantasy way after it was a thing.

I'm just beginning chapter 21, where I have to do a bunch of interventions and boss fights.

Recommendations for good stack setups? I would like to power through to the end of this game and move on.

why? WOFF was the best FF game that came out that year.

anyway, go and get one of the dark versions of the Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh line and level it up for all the magic power you'll ever need. but honestly, most stacks you can make will do you fine if you supplement with mirajewels and don't choose dumb mastery bonuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

morallyobjected posted:

why? WOFF was the best FF game that came out that year.

anyway, go and get one of the dark versions of the Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh line and level it up for all the magic power you'll ever need. but honestly, most stacks you can make will do you fine if you supplement with mirajewels and don't choose dumb mastery bonuses

I found the 'dungeons' to be short and uninspired. The combat is bland, though for most of the game I was overleveled, and now I'm under. The pokemon aspect isn't exciting- I was a little too old for pokemon when it became a thing. The progression on the mirages was slow, too, and the limit of 8 getting experience was a juggling act that didn't add anything.

Tama is incredibly annoying, and waiting for yet another final fantasy character to come swooping in got a little tedious.

also if they're going to have a speed up button, let me default it to on - holding down the right trigger 70% of the game gets tiring.

WoFF is basically Mystic Quest + 20 years.