Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

ulmont posted:

We have a Bow and we wish to Upgrade It.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We have a bow and we wish to +1 it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh dang I missed the previous vote
(Born a sommerlending, fell in a cave, killing and looting is all i crave)

get that silver bow

and whats the chances of our random rear end scepter being the legendary one

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We have a a Bow and wish to use it to get a BETTER Bow.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ulmont posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Get that Silver Bow!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulmont posted:

Did you know there's a whole bunch of stuff you can only do if you skip this tournament? Probably not because why would you ever skip the tournament?

The Kingdoms of Terror posted:

Cyrilus offers to stay and look after the horses while you take part in the contest. He says that archery holds no interest for him, but you suspect this is just an excuse to take an afternoon nap. You hand him the reins of your horse and hurry to join a line of men waiting to enter the tournament field.

The event reminds you of a Sommlending village pageant and the jugglers, the dancers, and the numerous sideshows all add to the festive spirit. Eventually, you reach the gate where a cheerful old lady is collecting the 2 Gold Crowns entrance fee. You hand over your Crowns (remember to mark these off on your Action Chart) and enter a large tent where the other competitors are stringing their bows.

A small, flat-faced man dressed in a silver-braided jerkin enters the tent and calls for everyone’s attention. Quickly, he explains the rules that govern the tournament and then ushers you onto the range. At the far end of the field is a line of targets, each with ten coloured rings marked 0–9. Each archer is given 3 arrows with which he must get a minimum score of 8 in order to qualify for the next round of the tournament.

Pick three numbers from the Random Number Table and add them together. If you have the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery with Bow, add 3 to your total.

We got 4, 7 & 3, +3 = 17.

Your score qualifies you for a place in the final, for only one other archer has scored more than eight points. His name is Altan, a tall man with rugged features, a ranger from the mountains to the north. He wields a longbow of orange toa wood, and his skill with this weapon is formidable; it will be a difficult contest.

Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 ENDURANCE (TARGET points) 50

The tournament final is played out using the normal rules for combat. The only difference is that you begin with 50 ENDURANCE or TARGET points. Any ENDURANCE points that you may lose are deducted from these TARGET points (your normal ENDURANCE score remaining unchanged throughout the contest). The first one to lose all 50 of his TARGET points loses the tournament. (You need not erase any Arrows from your Action Chart during this tournament.)
OK, our Sommerswerd and shield bonuses do not apply here, but we do get +3 CS from Weaponmastery with a bow and we could still use Mindblast if we want - let's see him try to shoot straight with a migraine. We also have some Alether potions in our backpack and could take one if we wanted. Our base Combat Skill is 18, so here's how it looks with the Weaponmastery bonus only:

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 21 ENDURANCE (TARGET points) 50
Combat Ratio: -7

So take a look at the Combat Results Table and then vote for whether we want to use performance enhancing drugs, cruelly sabotage our opponent, both or neither.

We now have 33 Gold Crowns.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
drat... I need to go on Project Aon now and skip this tournament... :argh:Dever!

:D

Lets do this like Lance Armstrong. Take Alether & Psych him out!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Take Alether, but otherwise fight fair

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We have PEDs and intimidation factor, and we wish to cheat our asses off.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

We have Both and we wish to use them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why keep something if you weren't planning to use it? Take the drugs and attack him with mind bullets.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
If cheating is good enough for Lance Armstrong, it's good enough for Lone Wolf!

(In case it's not clear, this is a vote for "both sabotage our opponent and use PEDs.")

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

We're here to save the world, this dude is not. Cheat like we've never cheated before

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Omnicrom posted:

We're here to save the world, this dude is not. Cheat like we've never cheated before

Lance Armstrong this up with a side of Scanners.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We're on an important mission to loot something. Mindblast and drink up.

(Wait, what? You can do things instead of the Bow?!?! Like what?)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

Did you know there's a whole bunch of stuff you can only do if you skip this tournament? Probably not because why would you ever skip the tournament?

It looks like it's a pretty short side quest only though...

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
We have a brain and wish to use it (and performance enhancing drugs)

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
We will need every possible cheat to win this so let's go all in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Take Alether, but otherwise fight fair
It really doesn't seem right to assault this poor guy just for being good with a bow. But if the tournament organisers didn't have the foresight to ban potions, well, that's on them.

We have three doses of Alether remaining and one space free in our backpack.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 ENDURANCE (TARGET points) 50
Combat Ratio: -5

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 45
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 48

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 41
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 43

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 37
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 38

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 33
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 33

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 27
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 32

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 24
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 26

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 21
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 20

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 17
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 15

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 13
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 11

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 13
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 3

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 7
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET 2

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 23 TARGET 3
Altan: COMBAT SKILL 28 TARGET -2

Well, that was about as close as it gets. We won, but only just. For fully half the contest it looked like he was going to get the best of us, and even to the last shot there was still the distinct possibility of a loss for us or even a draw. The book makes no reference as to what to do if both contestants lose all their Target Points in the same round, but I guess you just go with whoever's final total is higher and roll an extra round if you're both on the same number. But we won and it's time to collect our prize.

A loud cheer shatters the silence as your arrow strikes home—you have won. The villagers are thrilled to have witnessed such an exciting tournament and crowd around you to offer their praise and congratulations. The little man in the braided jerkin presents you with your prize—a magnificent Bow made from the wood of a silver oak tree. This weapon will add 3 points to your total whenever you are using a Bow and are instructed to pick a number from the Random Number Table. Enter the Silver Bow of Duadon on your Action Chart as a Special Item and make a note of its particular property.

After making a short speech to thank the villagers for their generosity, you shoulder your prize and head back to Cyrilus with the good news.

A shock awaits you on your return to Cyrilus: both he and your horse have vanished. At first you curse him, thinking that he has wandered off to a nearby ale tent for a drink, but when you discover his oaken staff lying beside the road, you sense that something is seriously wrong.

You climb to the top of a parked wagon and strain your eyes in all directions for some clue to his whereabouts. Suddenly you see him, surrounded by a group of cavalrymen galloping away to the west. You count six of them plus a riderless horse—your horse. Then you notice that conveniently hitched to the back of the parked wagon is a saddled horse.
Having cheated an incredibly skilled archer out of his prize, do we now make off with someone's horse as well? Or take the time to try to find the owner and offer to buy the horse?

With the Silver Bow and Weaponmastery we now get a total of 6 points added to our die rolls for using a bow. That's a serious bonus and often makes it practically (or literally) impossible to miss. I'm assuming that we're replacing our regular bow with the Silver Bow rather than carrying two bows and leaving the Sommerswerd behind.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Buy the horse quickly as possible. I’m ok with drug use but not stealing. :)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Buy the horse- we can track them.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We've got cash and/or items for barter, so we purchase a horsey.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What, no option of taking the horse but leaving behind some gold crowns and a note that says "Sorry, official Kai business?"

Ah, fine. Buy the horse. We ain't thieves.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Also what is it with wizards and magicians being useless bumbling buffoons in this book series?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

A certain point comes in the series where almost every episode of horse theft results in death or severe crippling. Let’s hope we’ve passed that point and steal us a horse!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Silver Bow and Sommerswerd. Now twe have the best equipment combo.

The only think we need now is a couple of rings...

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

anakha posted:

We've got cash and/or items for barter, so we purchase a horsey.

Agreed.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Loot the horse (Kai lords don't pay for looting)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

A certain point comes in the series where almost every episode of horse theft results in death or severe crippling. Let’s hope we’ve passed that point and steal us a horse!
Stealing this horse doesn't guarantee death, but it is a possibility.

You have barely covered a hundred yards when you hear a frantic cry: ‘Horse thief, horse thief! Don’t let him get away!’

You tighten your grip and urge the horse along the highway as it dips and bends, following the low hedgerow that borders the tournament field. The cry alerts some men from the archery competition, and they soon appear in a line at the edge of the field. As they see you approach, they draw their bows to fire.

Arrows scream past on all sides. One shaft gouges a furrow of skin from the horse’s rump, causing him to twist and buck; you shorten the reins and urge him forward. Your quick thinking helps you regain control of the frightened animal, and soon you are well out of range of the deadly arrows.

The chase takes you deep into the heart of the Varettian Hills. Soon the highway dips and twists, plunging into the valleys and hollows carved by fast-flowing streams, and climbing through the dense woodland that clings precariously to every precipice and crag. You often lose sight of the riders, but your basic Kai skills of tracking and hunting enable you to follow their trail with ease. It is not until you reach a tiny village perched on the edge of a tree-lined crag that their trail becomes indistinct. However, you notice that at the far side of the village, a stony hill track branches from the main highway and ascends into the trees.
Do we continue on the highway or take the track into the trees?

We rolled a 6 and added 3 for Huntmastery to avoid being shot by the archers. Lucky Altan wasn't one of them, I guess.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Maybe Altan was one of them and we just got lucky.

The track.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Mikl posted:

Also what is it with wizards and magicians being useless bumbling buffoons in this book series?

Being a wizard is like being a Kai but a whole lot worse.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Maybe Altan was one of them and we just got lucky.

The track.

Based on my memory of how trying to buy the horse goes, this is right.

Also, onward to the track!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Tracking should have told us which way to go?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Near the crest of the hill there is a small hut built close to the track. Outside, on the porch, sits an old woman who is peeling fruit with a wooden knife. She smiles a gap-toothed smile and bids you welcome as you bring your horse to a halt.
Should we stop and ask her if she's seen anyone going by, or just keep going?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hey, hag lady, have you seen an odor being kidnapped by bandits?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hey, seen any old men, old lady?.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Tracking should have told us which way to go?

We ended up with Invisibility, not Pathsmanship. So let’s chat with the crone.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Loot information from gramma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Keep going. She could be trouble.