Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Why? There is literally no downside to having more games on Steam outside of same vague sense of moral outrage among a small group of people and plenty of great games that never would have gotten on Steam have showed up since they moved from their old "know a guy who works for Valve" model of adding titles so it's a net good regardless.

You're terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They should come up with a tiering system where big games with publisher support and larger indies get a special badge or border color, and garbage asset flips and hentai gets to hide in a corner.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

just give us a "no more hentai, please" button

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Reality Winner posted:

They should come up with a tiering system where big games with publisher support and larger indies get a special badge or border color, and garbage asset flips and hentai gets to hide in a corner.

That would require them to put :effort: into actually paying attention and seeing what games go onto Steam.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

Why? There is literally no downside to having more games on Steam outside of same vague sense of moral outrage among a small group of people and plenty of great games that never would have gotten on Steam have showed up since they moved from their old "know a guy who works for Valve" model of adding titles so it's a net good regardless.

It makes getting started in the industry much much harder because your game is on New Releases for about one second before it's replaced by thirty illegal meme games. My friends who do indie game work can't make a living anymore. But yeah sure for you personally it owns, because you're a loving idiot who doesn't think about others

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

paws off my hentai, valve

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

just give us a "no, more hentai please" button

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Guy Mann posted:

I don't use Steam's Discovery Queue anymore, because every time I do, it's populated with nothing but lovely asset flips that get put on there because "it was recently released". The signal/noise ratio is in the gutter, and I don't have the patience to go wading through a sea of garbage to find the couple of gems. This is especially bad for indie games, who won't have the marketing budget to get their name out there, and have to rely almost entirely on word-of-mouth to get sales. If no one discovers their games to begin with, they're not getting that sort of word-of-mouth buzz going.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

il_cornuto posted:

Wait what? I thought Jim Sterling was pretty vocally anti-nazi?

Edit: Oh, he dressed up sort of like a fake nazi at the start of the video I guess. Though given the name, I would have figured he was going for more of a modern inquisition type thing. He did make a good point about it being really weird that Valve can get away with selling some of the more offensive stuff on Steam though, and the quotes from indie developers about how all the crap makes it harder for good indies to be successful highlighted an aspect I hadn't really given much thought. There's a lot of good footage of terrible games too!

He used to have a vaguely dictatorship/military theme but he dropped that for a carnival theme

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Improbable Lobster posted:

He used to have a vaguely dictatorship/military theme but he dropped that for a carnival theme

honestly i couldn't tell, fat man dressed all in black in front of a weird flag wearing a gas mask doesn't exactly say "carnival" to me.

unless we're talking, like, juggalos, but even then if that were the case his backdrop should be a kitchen meth lab

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

honestly i couldn't tell, fat man dressed all in black in front of a weird flag wearing a gas mask doesn't exactly say "carnival" to me.

unless we're talking, like, juggalos, but even then if that were the case his backdrop should be a kitchen meth lab

99% of the change was in the intro and credits animations. That's why I said vague. FWIW the plague doctor mask isn't part of his regular costume and is for his "Steam Cleaner" character that he used when he talked about how lovely Greenlight was

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa posted:

"literally no downside" ... Have you seen the appstores lately? Or the asset flippers?

And? You don't see people complaining that The Integrity of Amazon Has Been Compromised because they sell a lot of bad things or people bemoaning how Netflix has too many no-effort direct to video movies but for some reason gamers just go ballistic about the existence of things they don't like on their digital marketplace.

Regarde Aduck posted:

You're terrible.

You have an Undertale avatar, you'd think if anyone could understand why arbitrary gatekeeping on a digital marketplace is bad it would be a person who loves a game made by a completely unproven nobody with no publisher or fanfare whose game succeeded entirely on word of mouth.

Ainsley McTree posted:

corn in the bible posted:

It makes getting started in the industry much much harder because your game is on New Releases for about one second before it's replaced by thirty illegal meme games. My friends who do indie game work can't make a living anymore. But yeah sure for you personally it owns, because you're a loving idiot who doesn't think about others

You're right, your friends being bad at their jobs is not something I feel any particular desire to care about.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

And? You don't see people complaining that The Integrity of Amazon Has Been Compromised because they sell a lot of bad things or people bemoaning how Netflix has too many no-effort direct to video movies but for some reason gamers just go ballistic about the existence of things they don't like on their digital marketplace.

It is much harder to get a movie/tv show on to netflix than it is to poo poo out an asset flip game on steam.

Also, I don't know how else to explain it in a satisfactory way but amazon and steam are different in how they approach things and what they accomplish.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

you are arguing against something that has already happened in the reality in which you exist and there's absolutely no reason to think we're any different from what's come before.

Yes, there is a downside to having a lot of game-shaped objects on steam. This should be a fairly obvious conclusion if you try actually shopping without knowing what you're looking for in advance.

Guy Mann posted:

You're right, your friends being bad at their jobs is not something I feel any particular desire to care about.

lol gently caress off with this edgy poo poo and apply yourself to the economics of the situation

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Personally, I just don't like all the poop on the shelves at the grocery store, especially now they allow just anybody to put poop on their shelves by paying a stocking fee. Yeah, I know, some people say that more choice is better, but I don't really see it. I mean, nobody should be touching the poop, much less buying it. But there still people to think the poop isn't a problem. "Just don't look at the poop.", they say. "It's about the freedom for anybody to put whatever poop they want there. The poop isn't hurting you." That may be so, but I still don't want to look at poop. Or smell the poop. Or walk past the poop.

I just want a store that doesn't have poop in it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

heartfelt thanks to all who bought and appreciated Poop Dating Simulator XXIII, it's such an honor to be the world's first quadrillionaire

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Really Pants posted:

heartfelt thanks to all who bought and appreciated Poop Dating Simulator XXIII, it's such an honor to be the world's first quadrillionaire

I felt honored to support the artist behind such a great project. Can we expect a followup to Poop Dating Simulator XXIII, which will tie up some of the lingering plot threads?

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

You have an Undertale avatar, you'd think if anyone could understand why arbitrary gatekeeping on a digital marketplace is bad it would be a person who loves a game made by a completely unproven nobody with no publisher or fanfare whose game succeeded entirely on word of mouth.

Where do you find this ability to exclude tags? I went nuts going through Steam looking for this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I felt honored to support the artist behind such a great project. Can we expect a followup to Poop Dating Simulator XXIII, which will tie up some of the lingering plot threads?

actually I've decided to branch out into uncharted territory and really spread my creative wings

look forward to Pee Dating Simulator in winter 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Really Pants posted:

actually I've decided to branch out into uncharted territory and really spread my creative wings

look forward to Pee Dating Simulator in winter 2019
Pee Wee Her Man 2020

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

gently caress you.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mistayke posted:

Where do you find this ability to exclude tags? I went nuts going through Steam looking for this.

the only place I know that you can exclude tags is on your disovery queue, under the "customize your queue" button

i don't think you can block them in like, the entire marketplace, unfortunately

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

someone awful. posted:

the only place I know that you can exclude tags is on your disovery queue, under the "customize your queue" button

i don't think you can block them in like, the entire marketplace, unfortunately

The thing is, they don't work. I have VR blocked and I still get VR games in my queue.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

The thing is, they don't work. I have VR blocked and I still get VR games in my queue.

that's lovely, it actually does work for me :( I mean, I literally don't think I've discovered and bought a game through discovery queue, but i excluded VR and memes and I don't get those games anymore, for example.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

same

it's bullshit, and you basically just have to look at what valve wants you to see, which is "whatever makes them a dollar or the most dollars."

I literally can't fit my head and glasses into any of the extant VR setups, and my eyesight is too poor to see properly without glasses. gently caress contacts. I am never going to do VR and I don't care, but valve has gotta make some dollars off these headsets so they just assume I haven't heard the good news yet.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Discendo Vox posted:

I was one of the beta testers, the conclusions kind of stunk tbh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aren't the tags community-generated? So even if it did work*, it'd only block VR games that some random steam user has gone in and tagged with "VR"? EDIT: Or, possibly, enough users tagged it, I'm not sure how that works

*i don't use the discovery queue unless steam is running some event and will give me a card or whatever for it, so i don't even have an anecdotal "it does/doesn't work for me" here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I sometimes go through it so that it will stop recommending me the same games for weeks on end. Y'know, until it assumes I forgot and decides I really need to look at it again.

Even when it's something I've bought, returned, and left a negative review of. Sure you don't want to buy it again?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zereth posted:

Aren't the tags community-generated? So even if it did work*, it'd only block VR games that some random steam user has gone in and tagged with "VR"? EDIT: Or, possibly, enough users tagged it, I'm not sure how that works

*i don't use the discovery queue unless steam is running some event and will give me a card or whatever for it, so i don't even have an anecdotal "it does/doesn't work for me" here

Nah, it's just straight up broken. Here:

Fresh from my queue, thanks Steam

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I know it's inevitable that this thread will sometimes argue about Steam's release policy but please try to steer it back to posting terrible Steam games instead. Examples speak for themselves and we get things to point at and laugh which is a better use of this thread. Thanks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Trying to help Palpek out by finding something terrible we can laugh at, and instead...

A Doom clone that looks... functional?

Generic garbage!

Generic platforming garbage!

Your goal is to survive. In this cruel cubic world, where for the diamond blocks, the soldiers are ready to bury you alive in the damp earth.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Here's a game about caring for the earth and saving the planet's future by murdering billions of people. The intro video is ... something.

The only review:

quote:

Pretty rough around the edges. Not sure that the environmental message really comes across when you kill 12 billiion people and the remaining 90 million are still polluting at a higher rate than the 13 billion were. It did entertain me for .7 hours, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The first of these, I'm fine with it. However, the last one---yikes. Have you ever wanted a fighting game with unanimated stick-figure minecraft guys who move like you're dragging them through the air in garry's mod? That's what that is. But it's got 26 achievements and the visible ones are just letters!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tobermory posted:

Here's a game about caring for the earth and saving the planet's future by murdering billions of people. The intro video is ... something.

The only review:

Their promo reel literally includes a clip of Peter Jennings on ABC News reporting the Chernobyl disaster

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tobermory posted:

The only review:

I can honestly say I have no loving idea what I just watched.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Alright I haven't taken a look at new releases in like a month and I'm sure as hell not gonna try to catch up on them so let's just scroll down and click a thing

http://store.steampowered.com/app/740500/Eseapner/

Ok, this is probably just a dime-a-dozen indie horror game made from some premade assets or whatever (I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I've good reason to expect that from steam indie horror games nowadays) but mostly I wanted to mention this game because of the title.

....What the gently caress is an eseapner, like, what kind of name even is that? Why would you name your game something like that?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/672920/The_Bounty_Deluxe_Edition/

This one I'm including because look at this screenshot.

That's just a goddamned picture of Walter Day.

Who do these motherfuckers think they are, takin Walter Day and loving him up like that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/727830/Reformers/

This game, meanwhile is uh....

I dunno, I find it kind of interesting?? It doesn't look that good due to looking slow and it's not even in english so I wouldn't be able to understand it anyway and I'm pretty sure that the music in the trailer is just some stock rpgmaker music but idk, I'm kinda diggin the art style. Still doesn't look great though, but I guess I'm more or less posting this one for the same reason I'd post something like Septerra Core, a game where I know it is bad but I enjoy it regardless and I don't mind the flaws.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/691240/Going_Nowhere_The_Dream/

The new mirror's edge is looking pretty good!

Ok for reals this one actually seems kinda neat, think of this as a palate cleanser cause I'm always posting terrible poo poo.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/622820/HALUNAZI/

They uhhh really went all in on that name huh.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

This got taken down. :byewhore:

https://www.pcaficionado.com/2017/12/02/valve-removes-vr-game-nudity/

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

FirstAidKite posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/622820/HALUNAZI/

They uhhh really went all in on that name huh.

They can't seem to decide on how it's spelled.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It seems rather quaint now that Bad Rats used to be considered the worst game on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

in bad rats 2 they all have VR tits