Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Full-powered Guardbringer is 4.0x multiplier compared to Aegis Strike's 3.9x. Aegis Strike hits MT which is cool but otherwise Guardbringer all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I did a 3rd pull:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What about Aegis strike? Is a 5* seriously better

Yes, because Aegis Strike uses Armor Strike’s hosed damage formula that factors defense and barely factors attack, plus it’s an AoE move so it’s naturally weaker than other moves of the same rank.

EDIT: Like, even if it didn’t have the awful damage calculation, it would be an AoE Guardbringer with half as many hits (or did it get its hitcount buffed? I forget because Aegis Strike is not something I often put a lot of thought into)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I did a 3rd pull:

god i hope you're not the guy who got the 3 duplicates of that

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowcaster posted:

god i hope you're not the guy who got the 3 duplicates of that

Nope, that was me. I wish I could do a fourth pull but I have neither mythril nor money, so.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

my first two pulls were a dupe chant, then ramza bsb2/usb, then marche bsb/ssb

I knew I had to get poo poo after that second decent pull.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah welcome chainsaw physical teams. It's pretty hilarious how fast things melt when your whole front row has Thunder God Mode even for just 15 seconds.

It might as well be your whole party too, because why the gently caress would you put someone in the back row with a buff like that

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
2/11 :woop:

...dupe Excalibur and Genji Gloves :smith:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

It might as well be your whole party too, because why the gently caress would you put someone in the back row with a buff like that

Healers don't do much physical damage and they take less in the back row. :)

Everyone else should be in the front row though.

Really looking forward to seeing if this ends up being any kind of game changer for magicites.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Before and after Ramza pulls... his new toys shaved off 12 seconds.

I ended up doing four pulls, which is one more than I wanted to, but man I haven't been this satisfied from a banner in a while.

It's so beautiful. :allears:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Healers don't do much physical damage and they take less in the back row. :)

Everyone else should be in the front row though.

Really looking forward to seeing if this ends up being any kind of game changer for magicites.

It's not about them doing physical damage; they still get the TGC mode buff for doing things like healing. Now it might not be feasible if the boss is putting out a lot of really strong short-range physicals, but for most fights it's still probably worth it.

God I've spent so much mythril between global and japan failing to get Marche USB.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

It's not about them doing physical damage; they still get the TGC mode buff for doing things like healing. Now it might not be feasible if the boss is putting out a lot of really strong short-range physicals, but for most fights it's still probably worth it.

God I've spent so much mythril between global and japan failing to get Marche USB.

No they don't. Physical attacks only.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fister Roboto posted:

It only works on physical skills, so there is no reason to move your healer forward.

Edit: beaten

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

No they don't. Physical attacks only.

Huh, guess I always missed that detail. I thought it was just "give the whole front row fast cast". Ah well.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone wanna trade their Buglar Sword for my Durandal?

No?

I'll see myself out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prism posted:

It only works on physical skills, so there is no reason to move your healer forward.

Edit: beaten

Yeah I guess full party TG mode would be a little too much.

On the other hand, if your "healer" is Ceodore...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Hahahaha I have his BSB so yeah I might screw around with that idea.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah welcome chainsaw physical teams. It's pretty hilarious how fast things melt when your whole front row has Thunder God Mode even for just 15 seconds.

Yeah, I tried it out on speed 1 and had to double-check the game speed afterwards. It's blazing fast. Does it stack with Haste?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
they speed up separate things but yes, they effectively stack

e: just beat shadow dragon sub 30 but it requires cid raines to be punched in one of the three attacks before the timer hits 15s so he has enough sb gauge...

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 1, 2017

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Give your healer the TG Mode RM :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Finally beat Liquid Flame. I had to create a whole new team based around Edge's water abilities to do it.

I had to blow 60 MDOs on a 5* hone for one of them and I still ran out of uses. I had to entrust a few bars to him and spam his USB at the end but it got the job done in under a minute.

Now what's this about the dark dragon fang thing instantly killing someone and there's no way to avoid it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Finally beat Liquid Flame. I had to create a whole new team based around Edge's water abilities to do it.

I had to blow 60 MDOs on a 5* hone for one of them and I still ran out of uses. I had to entrust a few bars to him and spam his USB at the end but it got the job done in under a minute.

Now what's this about the dark dragon fang thing instantly killing someone and there's no way to avoid it?

On his fourth turn he'll KO the character with the lowest % HP, unless you can do like 114k damage before that to push him into phase 2. So generally you'll want a "sacrifice" character that you hit yourself (e.g. with lifesiphon or memento mori or something as you get set up) or that starts with Draw Fire to make sure they have the lowest % HP and get killed.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the only things i really want off the banner are marche USB, ramza LMR and maybe ramza USB (though he's already got enough to do between shout and chant, jump starts aside). i dont need any more drat holy and stat breaks are losing value quickly

thread, should i pull?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the only things i really want off the banner are marche USB, ramza LMR and maybe ramza USB (though he's already got enough to do between shout and chant, jump starts aside). i dont need any more drat holy and stat breaks are losing value quickly

thread, should i pull?

pull. hail satan

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ybrik posted:

Anyone wanna trade their Buglar Sword for my Durandal?

No?

I'll see myself out.

If you don’t mind me rubbing salt in the wound i got both usb’s off the banner i didn’t have, 2 bsbs, marche’s super, and a legend materia for agrias and i only play this game on 15 minute bus rides to and from work and generally don’t even finish the weekly events

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

rabidsquid posted:

pull. hail satan

Always pull.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Ramza LMR is so good. :stare:

I mean, I knew it was considered one of the better ones, but drat it feels so right.

Edit: ProTip: remember to unequip Shout once you have Super Shout or you'll reflexively hit it several times. :doh:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

weren’t the people who monitor the state of the japanese game saying ramza gets dethroned as best in class support somewhere down the line though

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

6/22. Two dupes, but got Marche USB+SSB and Ramza+Marche LM's. That seems like pretty good haul, though with Ramza I now seem to have all of the sides but no entree (Chant, Tailwind, Throw Stone, LMR, but no Shout or Battle Cry).

MikeSevigny posted:

Yeah, my extra pull on FFX1 got me a Paine SSB. It's not even water element!

Missed out on the two new ultras on the FFT banner. Going to sit on it a bit before I decide to pull a third time, Ramza BSB2 was the big goal for me and I have it, along with an 8* USB katana. Could be worth it to just wait it out for the next banner and try for Orlandeau gear as well.

Fun fact: if you let the game auto-optimize Ramza's soul breaks, it puts Battle Cry and Shout in and leaves out Tailwind, so you have to rearrange it manually every time. Fun! I wish I could lock the soul breaks for a character (or put SBs in the vault).

Shock Trooper posted:

This. I'm going to forever regret mastering Yoshi-Cola's USB, which the game believes is a higher priority SB than Asylum, Aetherial Pulse, or Stoneskin II. Force of habit in clicking where I think Asylum is in the SB menu has caused a few accidental USB's through muscle memory.

See also: Tyro with his freebie USB, OSB, Last Judgment, Celebration, and Cyclone Grimoire. Oh and Sentinel's Grimoire, but who has room for that?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

weren’t the people who monitor the state of the japanese game saying ramza gets dethroned as best in class support somewhere down the line though

If you pay too much attention to JP you might as well never pull on a banner or hone an ability ever because something better is 6 months away.

Just pull on banners and hone stuff and dive people and beat hard content.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you pay too much attention to JP you might as well never pull on a banner or hone an ability ever because something better is 6 months away.

Just pull on banners and hone stuff and dive people and beat hard content.

sure sure, 100% agreement, I thought that there was a shitkicker of a support showing up somewhere though. Someone kind of vaan-like?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ramza has never been special as a debuffer; his big claim to fame was Shout. To challenge Shout, coming up we have Onion Knight USB-physical, which is Shout + 50% crit fix and a self iterating fast action buff. That 50% crit fix is pretty huge for increasing a physical party's damage output, and does make Shout and Shout+ pretty obsolete. A ways after that we get Quina's USB, which is Shout + Proshellga, which also makes Shout pretty obsolete. I think there was another Shout-but-better in there somewhere, although I can't remember who got it or what it did.

That's not to say that Ramza's BSB2 is bad, but it does have strong competition coming down the line. It is also true that you can't not ever pull just because better stuff will arrive occasionally.

Edit: oh, Reks gets a USB that's Shout + lightning radiant shield.
Edit 2: Oh, and Josef gets this: ATK +50% for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Last Stand, grants Quick Cast 2 to the user

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 1, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

quina and onion knight sounds right. the thing with ramza is alongside shout he’s got the give the entire team instant cast and give the team bubbles plus boost the damage of their criticals, both of which are powerful in their own right. more than anyone it seems like “my ramza has too much good stuff to do” is becoming and increasingly common complaint

edit: it doesn’t help that for like 5 lucky banners straight fft was on the docket, meaning we’re all fat on delicious fft soul breaks

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 1, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ramza does have good tools for juggling a couple of buffs, though. His dive has increased stat buff duration, and his new burst comes with a Wrath command. He could easily keep up both USB and BSB2 if needed.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i decided i'd only be marginally happy if i got ramza LMR and/or Marche USB so no I'm letting this banner go

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've conceded defeat to this banner. 100 mythril of heartbreak.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Thanks to the person that helped me with the Adel CT fight - I gave up on trying the Regen+Shell strategy for Rinoa and slotted in more mitigation, which finally did the trick. The other three were a cakewalk - I had to retry Squall twice due to idiot input error and a dumb attempt with Draw Fire, but the third try with no mistakes worked fine. Adamantoise was no problem and the III one was only a slight issue because I didn't have any more useful Hastegas but it still went down in one try.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Ramza has never been special as a debuffer; his big claim to fame was Shout.

Shout has always been the main appeal, but I wouldn't say that's exactly true. When he debuted, he was easily the best 5* Support guy available. There weren't many alternatives in general at the time. I believe Tyro, Wakka, Fran, Red XIII, and Sazh were the main options. None did much damage, and other than Tyro nobody had much in the way of weapon selections. Ramza also showed up with Tailwind and Hail of Stones which were ahead of the curve at the time, so Shout wasn't even the only good SB you could get for him.

He's consistently gotten good stuff since then (well OK, his BSB was lame) including the LMR that just came out.

Also, he's a protagonist, so I'd expect him to continue getting good toys a year or two down the road. Quina, Reks, Josef... nobody cares about them, they're going to get their big USB's and then be forgotten among the 600 or so characters we have in the game now. Cloud, Tidus, Celes, Ramza... they sell gems. They will consistently get the good stuff.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rujasu posted:

Cloud, Tidus, Celes, Ramza... they sell gems. They will consistently get the good stuff.

Wild, unfounded prediction: we will never see another Cloud SB until they find a way to make Cloud USB power creeped. A three-hit UOSB wouldn’t be anything that would make people drop gems for him, a twenty + one UOSB would be almost impossibly busted and lead to people crying foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

holding out hope for the orran durai usb that has a 100% chance of stop

• Locked thread