Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

The guy with the preview copy on Bolter and Chainsword is giving a lot of detailed information. I highly recommend anyone who's curious check it out. The thread is under the blood angels subforum, titled something about a preview.

He's also said some things that I've seen outright contradicted, like costs for Death Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Genghis Cohen posted:

That Rhino idea might look pretty good. Not sure if they have the exact option, but noted makers of both really-cool and terrible-titty models, WargameExclusive, do some really sick ornate razorback turrets. Full on emaciated servitors manning them and so on.

I like the idea of a Taurox but I don't think they did a good enough job on differentiating it tactically from the Chimera. Would have been better with say higher transport capacity and minimal armament. The scale/dimensions just look a bit off for 40k, and even if you replace the horrendous tracks it's still weirdly high and the mudguards aren't shaped right . . . I think it takes heavy conversion work to look good.

I would have really liked to see a big transport, equivalent to an Ork Battlewagon, type vehicle in a Guard codex. Something that can carry more than a single squad for cinematic line-breaking assaults. I know we've got the transporty Baneblade types, but I really don't like them. They just obviously do not look like transports. The FW Gorgon is a lot closer to what I'd like, although obviously 50 men is too much to be reasonably priced in normal games, better with 20-25 transport capacity. I bet with a smaller version in plastic they could make options for closed and open topped.

I just never thought it made sense that a chassis as ubiquitous as the Rhino (used by the Arbites, FFS) had no place in the Guard.*

I'm thinking of using Immolater-type turrets for the guns because I really like how it looks, appropriately baroque.

It also means I can use them for survivors of a dark age in 30k.

*: I mean, I understand why GW made the decision from a sales perspective, I just think it's incorrect from a fluff perspective and so am taking this step to correct it.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 2, 2017

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Tabletop tactics guys have the book and played a game vs worldeaters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5LlRisUdtA

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guys, Librarian Dreadnoughts are loving bullshit and I'm in love all over again. :allears:

Red Thirst: +1 to Wound on Charge

Wings of Sanguinius: WC5 Immediate 12" Fly move, keep that move until next Psychic Phase, also reroll failed Charges.
Quickening: +d3 Attacks, +3" Charge and Advance rolls.

Warlord Trait: +1 Damage to a weapon (Furioso Force Halberd)

Stratagem: +d3 Attacks on Charge
Wisdom of the Ancients: Dreadnought gains 6" reroll failed hits aura.

If you roll hot on the d3s, you're looking at 9 attacks, a minimum of 5, and an average of 7.

Hitting on 2s rerolling: 4.86 / 6.81 / 8.75 hits
Wounding on 2s: 4.05 / 5.67 / 7.29 wounds

Very little in terms of big models stops AP-4, and with the +1 Damage trait you're doing 4 per unsaved wound, for a staggeringly brutal 16.2 / 22.67 / 29.16 damage (min / avg/ max attacks). And that's without even using a reroll on the wounds, which would bump it up ~0.14 wounds for each of them.

That costs less than 200 points (admittedly it does cost your Warlord Trait, at least 2 CP, and the entire Psychic Phase output of a Lib Dread).

EDIT: you can bring along anothre Librarian and cast Unleash Rage to give it another attack, too.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 2, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
That is mega bonkers Lolololol

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
WC5 is insane for Wings. That's a WC7 power, if not 8.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
27" zone of death?

Guess I'll just have alpha strike it.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Hey Badcast Guys, your bad cast is actually good and it kept me painting for three hours over my painting schedule because I was sufficiently into what you were saying and I only escaped when my laptop ran out of batteries. Thanks for being cool dudes!

And on that note, I have finished my converted Exodite Rangers! As soon as the bases dry I'll have some pictures up, these guys look great.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

My BA army has always been kind of a side thing, but I may have to finally have a proper go at them. Librarian Dreads sound like too much fun, never mind if Death Company are finally good again.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Is there any news of Flesh Tearers getting anything unique or is it just ol' Sethy boy again? 'coz a small force of Flesh Tearers consisting mostly of Reivers for maximum edge levels sounds awfully tempting.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thanqol posted:

Hey Badcast Guys, your bad cast is actually good

Yeah it's almost a Fine Cast.
:thejoke: I know, but it took me several months to get it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
My new favourite piece of lore is that Fabius Bile didn't make his pimpin' skin coat, it was a gift by one of his earliest creations made out of the skins of a squad of Marines sent to assassinate Bile. He's held onto it for sentimental reasons, like a dad sticking his kid's drawing on the fridge :allears:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SteelMentor posted:

My new favourite piece of lore is that Fabius Bile didn't make his pimpin' skin coat, it was a gift by one of his earliest creations made out of the skins of a squad of Marines sent to assassinate Bile. He's held onto it for sentimental reasons, like a dad sticking his kid's drawing on the fridge :allears:

Yet more proof that Chaos is a loving, supportive family.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Boon posted:

27" zone of death?

Guess I'll just have alpha strike it.

It's a character with under 10 wounds, unless the other player is an idiot in his set-up you won't be able too.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
So here are my space elfs. Sorry about the cell phone camera footage.

The Farseer variations are made using the spare Yncarne bits and a Sister of Silence head. I got three of 'em from the Start Collecting boxes I'm using as the core of my force and I didn't want three dudes looking exactly the same. I think they turned out really well - even the one I unbelievably hosed up and barely managed to salvage after hours of additional work!

And here are the Exodite Rangers! Someone on these forums mentioned converting some Shadow Warriors from Fantasy to use as Rangers and it works amazingly. I used spare AdMech galvanic rifles because that's what I had but I think they look really sweet.

A preview picture of my upcoming Wraithknight. I swore like a sailor while assembling this bastard, particularly at a point when I realized I'd completely hosed up the torso joining and basically needed to pull the entire thing apart and start over. But in the end I wrestled her into the pose I wanted and I'm really looking forwards to spending my Christmas break just slogging away at this monster.

Bonus image of my Emperor's Children test model. What's really cool about this model is that from a tabletop distance it looks really smooth and clean, pure white and gold. It's only when you hold it up to your eyes you realize what a loving mess it is and the effect is amazing and perfect for what I want for the EC. Sadly that's pretty much where that army's going to stay until/unless they release new Noise Marines.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

By the way, if anyones interested. You can subscribe to this months Humble Bundle Monthly for $12 and get Dawn of War III (as well as several other games).

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

By the way, if anyones interested. You can subscribe to this months Humble Bundle Monthly for $12 and get Dawn of War III (as well as several other games).

How is DoW 3? I've heard not-great things.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Booyah- posted:

Pretty good, much more of an rts than 1/2, desperately needs an expansion for more races.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Booyah- posted:

I suspect that it's reduced to being part of a $12 bundle already, tells it's own story. But it might be fun to mess around with for a few hours at that price.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I just never thought it made sense that a chassis as ubiquitous as the Rhino (used by the Arbites, FFS) had no place in the Guard.*

I'm thinking of using Immolater-type turrets for the guns because I really like how it looks, appropriately baroque.

It also means I can use them for survivors of a dark age in 30k.

*: I mean, I understand why GW made the decision from a sales perspective, I just think it's incorrect from a fluff perspective and so am taking this step to correct it.

Sounds good. I had considered making the twin auto cannon on a taurox counts-as into a pintle mount - I have some spare bits from mechanicus ironstrider kits that would work perfectly.

Thanqol posted:

So here are my space elfs. Sorry about the cell phone camera footage.

Awesome models dude. I think that sword on the one Farseer may be a little big, but all the other weapon swaps look really good.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booyah- posted:

It was $60 US on release. I think three months later it was going for 50% off either for a sale or through a code. It's $48 US now and was going for 50% off again during the turkey day sale.

The graphics are good but the animations and voice acting aren't great. I'm sorry but marines and orks with anything other than an English accent sound so wrong.
The current game balance is 'better' but it's still garbage. Every game I've seen is tac spam and over in ten minutes, because they have twice the health and damage of any other starting unit, at the same cost.
The campaign, from what i've heard, is a glorified tutorial, using a different faction every mission and the story is the same as DoW1 vanilla and DoW2: Chaos Rising; the thing they're after is actually a daemon of Khorne and you need to kill it.

It's a big, rushed out mess that was in desperate need of being left in the oven for another year.
I think someone else described it best; "It's not so much a DoW game as it is a game with a 40k wrapper. If you put any other wrapper on it, it would be the same lovely game."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I want to stay pure Primaris, but Libby Dreads becoming unholy pain trains is really making me consider otherwise.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I want to stay pure Primaris, but Libby Dreads becoming unholy pain trains is really making me consider otherwise.

Nothing says primaris librarians cant go in dreadnoughts. :colbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Nothing says primaris librarians cant go in dreadnoughts. :colbert:

I am seriously tempted to do just that and convert a Redemptor Librarian.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am seriously tempted to do just that and convert a Redemptor Librarian.

Doooooo it.

Convert ALL the things. and post pictures.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Floppychop posted:

I wish inferno pistols for Seraphim got the same point drop. It would save me 44pts per unit.

Did it not? Chapter Approved leaks have the Adeptus Ministorum Wargear dropping the Inferno Pistol to 9 points. Hand Flamer to 3(I still won't use it, d3 really killed that thing) the storm bolter to 2(already done by the errata but its nice to have in print) and the eviscerator to 12.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am gonna use an Inceptor helm for my Leviathan. It looks pretty good mocked up.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Fucks sake why isn't this a blanket rule.

Chapter approve 2018 posted:

Haemotrope reactor

units within 3" of a haemotrope reactor that are at least 25% obscured by it, from the point of view of the firing unit, receive the benefit of cover.

You're bringing back LoS dependent cover (which is fine) but only for a single god damned piece of terrain.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

Fucks sake why isn't this a blanket rule.

You're bringing back LoS dependent cover (which is fine) but only for a single god damned piece of terrain.

This is exactly how the Imperial Statue works? It's also how ruins work for non-INFANTRY.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Irate Tree posted:

It was $60 US on release. I think three months later it was going for 50% off either for a sale or through a code. It's $48 US now and was going for 50% off again during the turkey day sale.

The graphics are good but the animations and voice acting aren't great. I'm sorry but marines and orks with anything other than an English accent sound so wrong.
The current game balance is 'better' but it's still garbage. Every game I've seen is tac spam and over in ten minutes, because they have twice the health and damage of any other starting unit, at the same cost.
The campaign, from what i've heard, is a glorified tutorial, using a different faction every mission and the story is the same as DoW1 vanilla and DoW2: Chaos Rising; the thing they're after is actually a daemon of Khorne and you need to kill it.

It's a big, rushed out mess that was in desperate need of being left in the oven for another year.
I think someone else described it best; "It's not so much a DoW game as it is a game with a 40k wrapper. If you put any other wrapper on it, it would be the same lovely game."

There were great big warning signs during development when they basically said "Yeah, you know those things 1 and 2 were remarkable and distinct for at the time? Sync kills in 1 and cover mechanics/destruction in 2? Yeah, no more sync kills and cover is now just big abstracted circles! You're gonna love it!"

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I'm surprised the fact that I'm seeing people on the BA subforum on Bolter and Chainsword complain about how it's still too hard to get into assault is driving me absolutely insane. There's a mod who is complaining that the 3d6 charge out of deepstrike isn't reliable enough with something like a 74% chance to succeed before making any rerolls. Another guy complaining that stuff is still just going to back out of combat after our charges and we'll get shot to death ignoring the fact that most things that we touch will just straight up die.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. The BA codex has a few things that seem borderline broken and is in general very strong and yet somehow it's still not good enough for some people.

Edit: I definitely understand that hams are frequently terrible, it's just hard to see GW giving us almost everything we could hope to ask for and it still not being enough for some people.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 2, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I don't know why I'm surprised the fact that I'm seeing people on the BA subforum on Bolter and Chainsword complain about how it's still too hard to get into assault is driving me absolutely insane. There's a mod who is complaining that the 3d6 charge out of deepstrike isn't reliable enough with something like a 74% chance to succeed before making any rerolls. Another guy complaining that stuff is still just going to back out of combat after our charges and we'll get shot to death ignoring the fact that most things that we touch will just straight up die.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. The BA codex has a few things that seem borderline broken and is in general very strong and yet somehow it's still not good enough for some people.

People on bolter and chainsword have for years been idiots who look for things to complain about. They also don't get that balance means there are things you don't get as well as things you do. While there are definitely some weird ball drops (Dante, baal predators) overall I think this codex is really really good.

People have also been overreacting to the blood angels losing in the tabletop tactics battle report, neglecting to remember that the blood angel player they have just started the game, doesn't make great tactical decisions, and makes really bad army lists.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

People on bolter and chainsword have for years been idiots who look for things to complain about. They also don't get that balance means there are things you don't get as well as things you do. While there are definitely some weird ball drops (Dante, baal predators) overall I think this codex is really really good.

People have also been overreacting to the blood angels losing in the tabletop tactics battle report, neglecting to remember that the blood angel player they have just started the game, doesn't make great tactical decisions, and makes really bad army lists.

He made some horrific mistakes but that charge he pulled off with the Sanguinary Guard was simply amazing.

There's definitely a few weird issues but we're strong enough that I think we may actually see some use in tournaments. Maybe not on the top table but we'll at least have a fighting chance.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I just now saw the B&C preview of the BA codex.. Descent of Angels as a 2CP stratagem is so loving broken- First turn deep strike with a unit having Angels Wing gets a 3D6 charge distance with a reroll and no overwatch?

:lol:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Blood Angels better than non-guilliman vanilla marines in every single way, BA players still manage to find things to cry about. News at 11

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 2, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just y'all wait until Space Wolves get their book. :shepface:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Pendent posted:

There's definitely a few weird issues but we're strong enough that I think we may actually see some use in tournaments. Maybe not on the top table but we'll at least have a fighting chance.

Truth. As a Blood Angels player and long time complainer, I'm really happy with this Codex. At first I was unhappy about the 6++ on Death Company instead of previous editions' 5+ Feel No Pain, but after considering the changes to AP and the removal of Instant Death I think it balances out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Blood Angels better than vanilla marines in every single way, BA players still manage to find things to cry about. News at 11

My kneejerk reaction was that vanilla marines are still better at shooting but aside from Guilliman related stuff there probably isn't that big a difference.

So, uh, yeah. I really do think Blood Angels might be stronger which is incredibly funny to me. I'm sure the vanilla stuff will continue to see buffs and changes though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

My kneejerk reaction was that vanilla marines are still better at shooting but aside from Guilliman related stuff there probably isn't that big a difference.

So, uh, yeah. I really do think Blood Angels might be stronger which is incredibly funny to me. I'm sure the vanilla stuff will continue to see buffs and changes though.

Honestly BA being worse than vanilla Marines was only a thing in 4th (with the WD list) and 7th (when I assume the book was bad). They were absolute terrors in 3rd ed and the 5th ed book was vastly better than that edition's very lacklustre SM codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

Honestly BA being worse than vanilla Marines was only a thing in 4th (with the WD list) and 7th (when I assume the book was bad). They were absolute terrors in 3rd ed and the 5th ed book was vastly better than that edition's very lacklustre SM codex.

5th ed BA were bordering on broken just because they had Stormravens before everyone else, and that Mephiston could solo entire ARMIES.