Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm going to drink GnT in a airport bar to get over the weird onset of travel anxiety that suddenly has come across me.

The person picking you up at the airport is in way more danger than you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FizFashizzle posted:

Tito’s screwdriver while watching mindhunters and following the senate vote.

I need help

Yeah, you should be watching USC/Stanford

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Spoeank posted:

what are you goonz drinking tonight. I found a gin that was aged 3 years in a bourbon barrel at trader joes. Not bad, it has an interesting sweetness and cuts through the top floral notes you find in most gin

Drank a bunch of white wine at dinner, thought about having some bourbon but ate ice cream instead. Might go read in bed for a while because I'm a boring old man

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm drinking rye whisky, watching cricket and throwing chat on tinder. Life is good.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Sup y'all. Just woke up from a weed nap. Bout to light up again. Miss this poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I did not drink tonight because I drank all day in foco

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Went and saw John Waters Christmas tonight and getting high for the first time in a week because i've been traveling this past week. Feels good man.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/oqncz6C.mp4

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

pubic works project posted:

Sup y'all. Just woke up from a weed nap. Bout to light up again. Miss this poo poo.

I tried smoking weed a couple weeks ago for the first time in ages and I almost immediately fell asleep lmao

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Trader Joe’s wine that’s not 2 buck and edibles.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The person picking you up at the airport is in way more danger than you are

Bar tender turned me away saying they stopped serving when I walked in :(

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Lmao they dont serve your kind round here

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/860199590599020544

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wouldn't that cause terrible pain for the person on the far right?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
haha cool we're hosed even more

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/936850132145811457

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe now they will tell us what's in it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

the last of some caol ila 12 year. It wasn't bad.

I quite like caol ila. One of the less ridiculously smokey islays, but still with some nice smoke, a slight hint of saltiness... nice.

My wife and I split most of a bottle of inexpensive chianti after dinner. I made turkey soup with the two quarts of turkey stock that I couldn't fit in the freezer earlier, and then we had some cheese and chocolate with the wine after dinner.

I got a modest raise this week and my cat is still alive so I'm modestly celebrating small good things.

Spoeank posted:

Jealous. I havent had a really good scotch since my father in law stopped drinking it because it started giving him heart burn

If you can come up with $50 for a special treat, I'd suggest (going by region):

Speyside:
Aberlour 12-year ($46 at Bevmo): a somewhat sweet, low-peat double-wood sherry-cask finished Speyside. One of my all-time favorites as a "gateway" scotch, easy to convince people who think they hate scotch that actually woah, scotch is great. Admittedly a double-wood is not a "quintissential" example of a scotch region, but the Speysides are generally mild and low-peat to begin with, so IMO they're the best ones for trying out the double-woods: you can see what the sherry or claret or port or whatever wood does to a scotch, without confusing the issue with strong character notes. Another good Speyside doublewood is the Balvenie 12, on sale at $45 at Bevmo (usually more like $60+). If you decide you like a sherry finish and want to try a heavily peated sherry finish, you could not go wrong with the Bowmore Darkest, but it's pricey at $90+.

I didn't mention a non-sherry-finished Speyside because you've probably had one: The Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, etc. These tend to be the inexpensive basic scotch everyone is familiar with anyway. Bare minimum get the Glenlivet 14, which is an actual single malt, and about $40. But if I was only going to have one scotch in my cabinet, I'd get the Macallan 12 instead (see below).

Islay:
Laphroaig 10-year ($41 at Bevmo): a very peaty, younger, solid Islay scotch. A great introduction to the heavily-peated scotches from this region for the price. 10-years tend to be less refined or smooth, but with a heavily smoked whisky those notes tend to be overwhelmed anyway. Compare to the Caol Ila 12, which is fine but typically over $75. The not quite as heavily peated Highland Park 12 is $48 at Bevmo and a good alternative if you prefer a slightly more mature scotch with slightly less of the taste of an ashtray.

Lowland:
Auchentoshan American Oak (on sale $37 at Bevmo): I have not tried this bottling, and it is a blend of various vintages of Auchentoshan, all matured only in American bourbon casks, which is the traditional way to mature traditional scotches. My 1974 Auchentoshen single-cask should be similar: lightly peated, a hint of sweetness but not too sweet, a good example of the only three Lowland region distilleries still in operation. (Of the other two, Glenkinchie can occasionally be seen in the US I think, but I've never seen a Bladnoch.)

Highland:
Macallan 12yr ($48 at Bevmo): the absolutely classic and most widely known Highland single-malt, you can also usually find this at grocery stores, but that's not a knock against it. Full, rich, moderate smoke - more than a speyside, less than an islay - if I was a bartender and someone ordered "a single-malt scotch" with no additional specification, this is the bottle I'd be reaching for. There are tons of Highland malts, though, so like the Speysides it's hard to pick just one. My favorite Highland, Glenmorangie, is marginally harder to find and often more expensive, but an excellent choice (I'm not sure about the Glenmorangie 10yr, it's been too long since I tried it, but it's apparently less than $40 in some places). You'll see Oban a lot, but it's more expensive and IMO not any better; Dalmore is quite good: there are many many more.

Not mentioned: Campbeltown (can't be had for under $50) and Islands (is basically the same as Islay, maybe a bit less peaty).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 2, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They still have to get through conference with the House to find common ground. But yeah they probably will get a bill done, and we are probably hosed, yes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Spoeank posted:

Lmao they dont serve your kind round here

It's Seattle, like they never seen a dude with slanty eyes before :negative:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Snipped a bunch of awesome scotch advice I will honestly probably come back to at some point

appreciate the advice but that $50 is two Calaveras County wines, which honestly I enjoy more than scotch. :)

It's all about spending my extra shekels keeping my favorite room in my house stocked (ignore the bags I was too lazy to move them)

The previous owners literally converted the understairs closet into wine storage.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You don't store booze. You drink it

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Lookit this guy whose never come home from a weekend in wine country with 5 cases of wine

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I bet you don't even have 8 wine clubs smdh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The house will probably rubber stamp the tax increases. This bill is going to crater the economy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

His local winery is Yellowtail lmao

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

I got kicked out of a wine tasting once, does that count?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Chichevache posted:

His local winery is Yellowtail lmao

lmbo

But for reals bay area/norcal bros if you want tons of cred with your lady take her to Murphys and get an airbnb off main street. There are like two dozen tasting rooms and they are all one a 1 mile long road. That's six of the eight wine clubs. My only complaint is two of my wine clubs are on opposite ends.

The night life is trash but you'll be trashed far before then and won't care.

BlindSite posted:

I got kicked out of a wine tasting once, does that count?

I'll allow it

Edit: murphys tasting room fees are 5 bucks a person and it's waived if you buy a bottle. Not like that napa fuckass bullshit

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 2, 2017

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

bobjr posted:

that’d be the general idea, yeah.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

appreciate the advice but that $50 is two Calaveras County wines, which honestly I enjoy more than scotch. :)

It's all about spending my extra shekels keeping my favorite room in my house stocked (ignore the bags I was too lazy to move them)

The previous owners literally converted the understairs closet into wine storage.

congrats on your tax break

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

bobjr posted:

As it should be.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Is it cooled?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Speyside:
Balvenie 12,

I've reduced your speyside list to its essentials.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I wish I had more beer/booze money. I guess I can't complain because there's always enough for the essentials, though it's a lot less common that I get to try much of anything new these days.

Got my go-to winter beers today though, which are Sam Adams Winter variety pack, Mayflower Brewing's Winter Oatmeal Stout and Evil Genius Brewing's Purple Monkey Dishwasher. The last one is a peanut butter chocolate stout. I typically only get 1 sixer a season cause its a great dessert beer but not the kind of thing you'd want a ton of.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
So a couple months ago I went out with some friends and afterwards called my uber to go home. Accidentally got an uber pool, which I didn't notice until it got there and there were a couple girls in the back. Get to chatting and they're going to a bar right by my place, say I should come. I go and hang with one of them and when the bar closes she suggests we go back to my place. We're walking back and she stumbles twice in the short fall, so I realize she's way too drunk so imma just get her some water and send her on her way.
Get to my place, she starts aggressively making out with me in the kitchen. Whatever, no big deal. Then she asks to use my bathroom, which is through my bedroom. She goes in there and proceeds to puke everywhere and pass out for two hours. I check on her making sure she's fine every now and then. Made her some food since water obviously wasn't going to do the trick. Anyway at this point it's like 4am and I just want to go to sleep, so I go from my kitchen to the bathroom to kick her out. I round the corner from my hallway into the bedroom and she's butt rear end naked on my bed in a "paint me like one of your French girls" pose. I laugh, cause it caught me off guard (PS never laugh at a naked person) and say something along the lines of 'oh honey, that's not going to happen.' She gets up, throws on her clothes, and leaves. Then she proceeds to text me like every couple weeks and I just don't respond. Don't want anything to do with that.
A month had passed since her last message. Out class had our holiday party at a bar last night. She was our bartender...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ok

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Big Jesus posted:

So a couple months ago I went out with some friends and afterwards called my uber to go home. Accidentally got an uber pool, which I didn't notice until it got there and there were a couple girls in the back. Get to chatting and they're going to a bar right by my place, say I should come. I go and hang with one of them and when the bar closes she suggests we go back to my place. We're walking back and she stumbles twice in the short fall, so I realize she's way too drunk so imma just get her some water and send her on her way.
Get to my place, she starts aggressively making out with me in the kitchen. Whatever, no big deal. Then she asks to use my bathroom, which is through my bedroom. She goes in there and proceeds to puke everywhere and pass out for two hours. I check on her making sure she's fine every now and then. Made her some food since water obviously wasn't going to do the trick. Anyway at this point it's like 4am and I just want to go to sleep, so I go from my kitchen to the bathroom to kick her out. I round the corner from my hallway into the bedroom and she's butt rear end naked on my bed in a "paint me like one of your French girls" pose. I laugh, cause it caught me off guard (PS never laugh at a naked person) and say something along the lines of 'oh honey, that's not going to happen.' She gets up, throws on her clothes, and leaves. Then she proceeds to text me like every couple weeks and I just don't respond. Don't want anything to do with that.
A month had passed since her last message. Out class had our holiday party at a bar last night. She was our bartender...

Five.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the girls name?

Albert Einstein

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

lol that wine isn't that pricy. Plus we don't really eat out or anything, and we don't have any car payments or debt except the house and my miniscule student loans. That wine closet is like 6 months or a year worth of our fun money.

Plus I live in california and the change to the state deduction on federal taxes is probably gonna turbofuck us

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/937014398895448065

our president is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/937014398895448065

our president is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so stupid

He just admitted to obstruction of justice.

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/937009631662104578

• Locked thread