Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Both the dialouge, and flavor description for the unyeilding trait(10% hull point) suggest that that admiral can't retreat, yet I was just able to retreat one that gained the trait mid-battle. Are the descriptions out-dated, or misleading me?

I really don't want an un-retreatable admiral in charge of anything, but the HP bonus is quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember if the base game actually makes unyielding admirals unable to retreat, but I've definitely had that as a thing.

I would suggest perhaps that if they gained it mid battle it may not apply until the next.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gowb posted:

NOpe

I also can't trade it back to the empire i took it from

Adjust your UI scaling, the button is being pushed off screen I think

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember if the base game actually makes unyielding admirals unable to retreat, but I've definitely had that as a thing.

I would suggest perhaps that if they gained it mid battle it may not apply until the next.

I've definitely recruited admirals based off the 10% hull boost, and never noticed that the flavor text has the retreating part. I've only just made the association now, but I haven't noticed them not being able to retreat yet. It could be that I wasn't paying attention, but I just abandoned a game that involved a lot of retreating before-hand, and I know I had recruited an admiral with this trait. Maybe it's an increase in the timer? I feel like I would have noticed something was up last game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Unyielding definitely used to have a no retreats malus, but I noticed around the time SD dropped that it seemed to have disappeared. I have no idea if there's some other effect replacing it. If there is, it's hidden.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

Unyielding definitely used to have a no retreats malus, but I noticed around the time SD dropped that it seemed to have disappeared. I have no idea if there's some other effect replacing it. If there is, it's hidden.

Well I'm on a relatively new game now, so I guess it won't hurt too much to test.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

teethgrinder posted:

Can Hardcore History get shoehorned in here somewhere

Finally found the video I was looking for - the Hardcore Prophecy edit telling the story of the 2020 election. Made by Trig Discipline over in YOSPOS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGYeTmHHZQM

...it weirded out Dan Carlin a bit.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561097&userid=137128&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post478494874

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Definitely able to retreat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Unyielding was unable to retreat in like the base game only. It was changed very quickly, either with or before Utopia (maybe even Leviathans). The tool tip, however, was not changed.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

Unyielding was unable to retreat in like the base game only. It was changed very quickly, either with or before Utopia (maybe even Leviathans). The tool tip, however, was not changed.

Some of the devs post here right? I want my finder fee :bahgawd:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Yeah, it seems like being able to flag systems as bad will be even more useful with the other combat changes. Stations and such actually being able to fight and stay relevant will make it important to avoid the really fortified systems.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Trying out devouring swarm for the first time, am I blundering or does it take 10 years to purge?? So like I take over a planet, then it just does nothing for 10 years until it's empty?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Trying out devouring swarm for the first time, am I blundering or does it take 10 years to purge?? So like I take over a planet, then it just does nothing for 10 years until it's empty?

Some of the pops will be removed over time, allowing you to get your guys in there. After the ten years is up, any remaining will be removed all at once.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm getting a weird bug where core system counts aren't being updated properly?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I'm getting a weird bug where core system counts aren't being updated properly?

Are there two planets in a system? Multiple planet systems count as one core. It makes them nice for getting a few more tiles (and an extra shipyard if you refuse to hotkey like I do) but normally the second world isn't worth colonizing right away.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Split Pea Superman posted:

Are there two planets in a system? Multiple planet systems count as one core. It makes them nice for getting a few more tiles (and an extra shipyard if you refuse to hotkey like I do) but normally the second world isn't worth colonizing right away.

:psyduck: I was wondering why building and populating a ring world didn't add four to my core worlds.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shadowlyger posted:

:psyduck: I was wondering why building and populating a ring world didn't add four to my core worlds.

It confused me at first too, but it's definitely there, and it encourages picking up ring worlds and the occasional 2-3 planet system, but I probably wouldn't colonize say a 12 tile planet unless it had some really good resources on it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shadowlyger posted:

Some of the pops will be removed over time, allowing you to get your guys in there. After the ten years is up, any remaining will be removed all at once.

Also resettle your pops over there, swapping with the 'food'. Hive minds get a discount on resettling. You may even have to to get any food out of them.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how fallen empires decide whether or not to war dec you for encroaching on their territory? I just found an abandoned ring world near one, and it seems like there's always a bait planet next to their territory, but this ring world seems like it might be far enough away for me to get away with it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Split Pea Superman posted:

Does anyone know how fallen empires decide whether or not to war dec you for encroaching on their territory? I just found an abandoned ring world near one, and it seems like there's always a bait planet next to their territory, but this ring world seems like it might be far enough away for me to get away with it.

If it's a xenophobe FE then almost any border pressure will cause them to wardec, a spiritualist FE will wardec over specific worlds with the Holy World modifier.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

If it's a xenophobe FE then almost any border pressure will cause them to wardec, a spiritualist FE will wardec over specific worlds with the Holy World modifier.

This empire is materialist, but they're also living on ring worlds. Do ring world's count as a materialist holy world?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No. Holy Worlds are always marked with a specific modifier, and are also always named.

Go nuts and colonize that poo poo. Worst case scenario you have to abandon it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't know who decided that the middle of the galaxy should be eye-hurting-bright and make it almost impossible to see what the gently caress is going on there but they should never be allowed to make a decision again.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Mind blown:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/936976627124391936

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait you didn't notice it?

I'm pretty sure Wiz mentioned they're the 'loading screen aliens' so yeah that art is basically what you're likely to see. I approve as those are some neat designs.

The one at the bottom left is basically the star destroyer too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

OwlFancier posted:

Wait you didn't notice it?

Yeah no I actually didn't correlate new ship designs with a loading screen I don't pay attention to anymore.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Futuresight posted:

I don't know who decided that the middle of the galaxy should be eye-hurting-bright and make it almost impossible to see what the gently caress is going on there but they should never be allowed to make a decision again.

I'm really confused, are you talking about the impassible galactic core?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to choose what AI there will be in a game? Like a mod or something? I tried to look one up but had no luck.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Anita Dickinme posted:

Is there a way to choose what AI there will be in a game? Like a mod or something? I tried to look one up but had no luck.

Click the Icon next to the species in the game start screen. You can force or exclude species there.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Blorange posted:

I'm really confused, are you talking about the impassible galactic core?

The map gets brighter towards the middle so that the lines between systems closest to the middle get obscured.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Futuresight posted:

The map gets brighter towards the middle so that the lines between systems closest to the middle get obscured.

On the subject, anyone know a good cosmetic mod for that?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I know everything is about to change, but holy poo poo the Prethoryns are crazy and the AI is useless against them.

I can barely keep a 200-250k fleet together and they are rolling with 10+ 100k fleets that all insta-warp to fight me. I can barely defend my territory and MAYBE cleanse one planet in the time they take to roll over entire empires, including one FE.

To be fair, I may have walked into this. I broke out of being vassalized to an Awakened Empire right around the 200 year mark. I conquered the AE, but didn't have time to consolidate before poo poo got real.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

If it were still a thing it should definitely take effect immediately.

"In the course of this epic battle, I have decided I will never, ever retreat! I will be unyielding! Er.... starting tomorrow."

:runs away:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mile'ionaha posted:

I know everything is about to change, but holy poo poo the Prethoryns are crazy and the AI is useless against them.

I can barely keep a 200-250k fleet together and they are rolling with 10+ 100k fleets that all insta-warp to fight me. I can barely defend my territory and MAYBE cleanse one planet in the time they take to roll over entire empires, including one FE.

To be fair, I may have walked into this. I broke out of being vassalized to an Awakened Empire right around the 200 year mark. I conquered the AE, but didn't have time to consolidate before poo poo got real.

It'd really help if bombing damage didn't cap out so low. A big fleet should easily nuke a planet barren at 3-400 a day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Futuresight posted:

Are you using a custom map creation script or something? I’ve never seen anything vaguely like this.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I still wonder if they're going to do anything with the ship designs that show up with the Sentinels and very few people probably know exist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I defeated the contingency at least a century ago, and just took control of a few planets with synthetics still affected by the -55% level ghost signal. I'm assuming this is a bug, how do I fix it? Gonna try to switch all synthetics of that type to a different type and see if that fixes it, hopefully it does.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is PROOF that greedy paradox had all this art done on launch and has been withholding content to sell later!!!!!1

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you using a custom map creation script or something? I’ve never seen anything vaguely like this.

Nope just straight out the box. Here's what it looks like in my latest game:

This is just a stock medium eliptical galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah the big blob of fog covering the galactic core is kinda obnoxious.

• Locked thread