Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So, using Stranger than Fiction as an example - would the central non-mirrored scene be him reading the book on the bus, as it is flanked by Harold being told that he had to die and taking it poorly, and Harold telling Karen that he is ready to die and her taking it poorly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I liked how in Justice League they visually referenced Michealangelo's The Creation of Adam when The Flash uses his finger tips to help Diana get her sword and then to bring Superman back to life. :thunk:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just watched Meet The Robinsons for maybe the sixth time. Shame it was kinda passed over at release. Aside from the main character needing to overlook something major for the plot to work, I think it's awfully clever for a kids movie.

The subtle bit I caught was the evil bowler hat that is not-so-secretly the master mind is named "Doris". Okay it doesn't have a face or a voice or even much of a personality but everything needs a name in these movies.

Where did the name come from?
Her prototype designation was "DOR-15".

You'd couldn't be blamed for missing it since it's partially cut off by the screen, only there for about two seconds and a lesser movie would have panned down to shove it in your face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just watched The Thick of It's 2007 special series, and I'm pretty amazed that I hadn't watched them before. The special episodes establish so much stuff that becomes relevant in series 3 and 4 despite those series being made years later. While Series 2 is the one that planted the notion of Ollie becoming Malcolm's number one henchman, the Nutter and Spinner episodes pretty much establish their working relationship as well as sewing the seeds of discord between Ollie and Glenn. So much stuff in series 4 calls back to these episodes, like Adam's complete awfulness and Ben's hilariously delusional ambitions of becoming prime minister.

They even set stuff up that happens in In The Loop which is pretty much a prequel to the series as a whole. I do wish Jaime stayed around in series 4 to beat some sense into people.

What it does best though is establish how sneaky Malcolm can be. Several scenes with him just end before we see what he said, only for it to later reveal what he was doing. The reveal that the entirety of Spinners and Losers was an elaborate plot to steal Nick's job and sabotage all of Tom's opposition demands that you go back and re-watch the episode to see where Malcolm set up everyone else.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Nov 24, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inzombiac posted:

I just watched Meet The Robinsons for maybe the sixth time. Shame it was kinda passed over at release. Aside from the main character needing to overlook something major for the plot to work, I think it's awfully clever for a kids movie.

The subtle bit I caught was the evil bowler hat that is not-so-secretly the master mind is named "Doris". Okay it doesn't have a face or a voice or even much of a personality but everything needs a name in these movies.

You'd couldn't be blamed for missing it since it's partially cut off by the screen, only there for about two seconds and a lesser movie would have panned down to shove it in your face.

I love the scene with Bowler Hat Guy telling Lewis why he does what he does:

"Hmmm, Take responsibility for my own life, or blame you... DING DING DING! "Blame You" wins Hands Down!"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"There's like, a MILLION people over there. And I have these little arms."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm just not so sure how well this post was thought through...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Inzombiac posted:

I caught that touch yesterday too. :hfive:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Robinsons was also the inspiration for Mario Odyssey, I suspect.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm just not so sure how well this post was thought through...

Master?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not really a subtle thing, but every time I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark, I develop a new appreciation for the giant barechested German airplane mechanic. I mean, he doesn't know Indy's an American, doesn't know he's trying to steal the Ark, doesn't really care that someone's trying to steal the plane and is blowing up the scenery behind him. He just really, really wants a bare knuckle fistfight. He keeps letting Indy get back on his feet, so he can Do More Fistfight. And I gotta say, I can respect that. He's stranded out in the middle of the desert, probably hasn't had a decent punch-up in months, and along comes this wiry guy in a leather jacket who seems like he's up for a donnybrook, and now Chesty Von Steakfist is in his element.

And then he gets chewed up by a propeller.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

It's not really a subtle thing, but every time I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark, I develop a new appreciation for the giant barechested German airplane mechanic. I mean, he doesn't know Indy's an American, doesn't know he's trying to steal the Ark, doesn't really care that someone's trying to steal the plane and is blowing up the scenery behind him. He just really, really wants a bare knuckle fistfight. He keeps letting Indy get back on his feet, so he can Do More Fistfight. And I gotta say, I can respect that. He's stranded out in the middle of the desert, probably hasn't had a decent punch-up in months, and along comes this wiry guy in a leather jacket who seems like he's up for a donnybrook, and now Chesty Von Steakfist is in his element.

And Indy fights dirty. I know not all German soldiers were Nazis ofc

If you want to win though, go with pocket sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAXUYLbFYk

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Phy posted:

I've always felt this and appreciated the guys pure single mindedness, but thought I️ was alone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phy posted:

Hah i guess he's just a brawler that somehow got drafted into airplane machanics

i dont mind his nazi death but yeah

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I always respected the older solider who fights Indy on the truck. He's grizzled and resourceful, maybe a veteran of the Kaiser's war. Even after all his men are thrown from the truck, he's still single-minded in his determination.

That's the thing about good action movies, there's actual care taken in casting the bad guys. Die Hard is another example. They're all Eurotrash (plus 1 Asian and 1 Black), but they're distinctive looking Eurotrash with personalities. I'd add the Nazis in Inglorious Basterds to that list as well.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's not as iconic as the airplane fight + propeller death but I really love Temple of Doom's rock crusher fight. I especially like that Indy tries to help the guy out, having decided that watching someone get crushed by a big roller is too terrible a punishment for generic bad guy #17.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And of course both those guys in the rock crusher scene and airplane scene are played by the same actor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's the thing about good action movies, there's actual care taken in casting the bad guys. Die Hard is another example. They're all Eurotrash (plus 1 Asian and 1 Black), but they're distinctive looking Eurotrash with personalities. I'd add the Nazis in Inglorious Basterds to that list as well.

Yeah, the henchman personalities are part of what pushes the movie up towards perfection.

if i could remember a recent movie with henchmen, id probably talk about how they lacked persomality

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Powaqoatse posted:

if i could remember a recent movie with henchmen, id probably talk about how they lacked persomality
ba
na
na

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What about John Wick?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What about John Wick?

now do you mean henchman no. 4 or henchman no. 32?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I just re-watched the first John Wick, and I'd say there's some distinctive henchmen. There's the guy who's security for the mob boss, who's actually good and manages to stay alive pretty much up to the church scene. There's a weird guy with a funny beard who seems like head security for the club, doesn't really do too well, and another guy at the club who actually notices Wick in time to end his stealth spree, and actually fights him for more than 5 seconds.
That's not even getting into the named henchmen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ardent Communist posted:

I just re-watched the first John Wick, and I'd say there's some distinctive henchmen. There's the guy who's security for the mob boss, who's actually good and manages to stay alive pretty much up to the church scene. There's a weird guy with a funny beard who seems like head security for the club, doesn't really do too well, and another guy at the club who actually notices Wick in time to end his stealth spree, and actually fights him for more than 5 seconds.
That's not even getting into the named henchmen.

Oh poo poo yeah the henchman boss.

The beardy guy is lol though, he's the beardy guy in like at least 5 movies. Good for him gettin paid though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh poo poo just rewatched the club scene, henchman boss is that jon hamm looking guy. yeah hes recognizable

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Powaqoatse posted:

Oh poo poo yeah the henchman boss.

The beardy guy is lol though, he's the beardy guy in like at least 5 movies. Good for him gettin paid though.

http://imdb.com/name/nm1324884/

It must be very special for him whenever he gets to play a character with an actual name. But hey, somebody has to play those guards, inmates, henchman and special forces guys.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Krispy Wafer posted:

Isn't it a major point in Inglorious Basterds that, other than Hans Lande, the Nazis are all given nuanced, "heroic"-style characterization (and several fall into distinct war-movie-hero tropes, like the noble self-sacrificing commander and the scared young guy with a wife and baby at home) and that the Basterds themselves are all given broad, crude characterization of the sort used for villains and thugs? At least, I always assumed that was a deliberate choice on Tarantino's part.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antivehicular posted:

Isn't it a major point in Inglorious Basterds that, other than Hans Lande, the Nazis are all given nuanced, "heroic"-style characterization (and several fall into distinct war-movie-hero tropes, like the noble self-sacrificing commander and the scared young guy with a wife and baby at home) and that the Basterds themselves are all given broad, crude characterization of the sort used for villains and thugs? At least, I always assumed that was a deliberate choice on Tarantino's part.

Oh, absolutely. Hans Landa is basically Nazi Sherlock Holmes and practically the star of the movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mierenneuker posted:

http://imdb.com/name/nm1324884/

It must be very special for him whenever he gets to play a character with an actual name. But hey, somebody has to play those guards, inmates, henchman and special forces guys.

Yea I like him. He does his thing and it works out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

oh poo poo just rewatched the club scene, henchman boss is that jon hamm looking guy. yeah hes recognizable

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0076780/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

That's Daniel Bernhardt. He's been in a metric fuckton of stuff from the Matrix movies to the old Mortal Kombat tv series. He's the only dude who actually beats up John Wick in the movie, surprisingly.

the tall beardy guy outside the club is Kevin Nash, ex wrestler and all around "That loving big dude from that thing".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Antivehicular posted:

i dont remember any nazi chatacter aside from Christoph Waltz

but then i also forgot about jon hamm-alike and beardy guy from john wick so

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0076780/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

That's Daniel Bernhardt. He's been in a metric fuckton of stuff from the Matrix movies to the old Mortal Kombat tv series. He's the only dude who actually beats up John Wick in the movie, surprisingly.

cool dude

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Powaqoatse posted:

i dont remember any nazi chatacter aside from Christoph Waltz

but then i also forgot about jon hamm-alike and beardy guy from john wick so

I only remember Waltz and the young nazi war "hero"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rough Lobster posted:

oh yeah the sniper dude was their hero! i cant say what he looked like though

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

he looked like baron zemo

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always respected the older solider who fights Indy on the truck. He's grizzled and resourceful, maybe a veteran of the Kaiser's war. Even after all his men are thrown from the truck, he's still single-minded in his determination.

A friend and I watch Die Hard every christmas, and we always cheer Karl the Mega German on. He's the dude with the beautiful flowing mullet who McClane hangs by a chain and slams into a wall, then comes back alive covered in blood and flames to threaten McClane and friends in the final scenes. Karl just has a lot of heart and gumption, a true ideal of the nameless mooks all villains require.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

poly and open-minded posted:

he looked like baron zemo

hm i dont think he looked like a computer game though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Olaf The Stout posted:

A friend and I watch Die Hard every christmas, and we always cheer Karl the Mega German on. He's the dude with the beautiful flowing mullet who McClane hangs by a chain and slams into a wall, then comes back alive covered in blood and flames to threaten McClane and friends in the final scenes. Karl just has a lot of heart and gumption, a true ideal of the nameless mooks all villains require.

hes badass, and he has the rights to be badass too: its his brother that mcclane turns into a santabomb in the elevator

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dredd was also pretty great about this. Even the randos that just get shot in the face within a second tend to have some pretty unique look to them. There's that fat guy who scarred his own face to look more like Ma-Ma, polo shirt guy who looked as helpless as he was, that dude with the jacket who go thrown down the building, and of course this guy:

It was a pretty cool contrast to the Judges, who are all pretty much faceless and uniform. Meanwhile most of the gangers who go up again mostly look like sort of (future) regular people.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

judges are walls and are invincible, henchmen have no choice and they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Daniel Brühl is reasonably well known in Germany so he's automatically one you'll remember, as is August Diehl who played the SS major.

Speaking of henchmen, Nathan Jones is apparently doing very well out of playing the Dumb American Brute in martial arts movies who throws and slams people but completely eats it when confronted with the hero's superior civilized fighting technique. I can appreciate someone finding their niche. And I kinda like how in Fearless his fight against Jet Li doesn't end with a decisive destructive blow, but with him recognizing his opponent's fairness and inner strength, coming to realize his own shortcomings and graciously accepting defeat. (Even though these modern Jet Li movies are all pretty overt political propaganda.)