Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dancer posted:

Are you referring to Man in the High Castle, or are you suggesting some upcoming series that I'm not aware of yet?

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/amazon-developing-black-america-an-alternate-history-series.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is adorable and very funny and well-shot and the lead character and performance are among the best of the year.

That doesn't sound bad, but in more important news, I just found out Netflix is going to have a movie where Will Smith is a cop with an orc for a partner this month. Written by Max Landis.

This could honestly go either way but I hope it's amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really would have liked to see Confederate. I love American history, and if it was done right and properly researched, that show would have been my jam. Portrayal is not endorsement, which is something I think a lot of the people screaming about it missed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IRQ posted:

That doesn't sound bad, but in more important news, I just found out Netflix is going to have a movie where Will Smith is a cop with an orc for a partner this month. Written by Max Landis.

The trailer was loving awesome, so I have pretty decent hopes. Closest we'll ever get to a shadowrun movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

Same director as Suicide Squad, known Oscar winner.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

It's a Will Smith vehicle so I am half expecting it to be nothing but an ego bath for him, but Dirk Gently REALLY sold me on Max Landis knowing exactly how to write weird without making it feel like forced meme random bullshit. So I hope he can do a cool ork magic movie.

I'm 100% sold just base don the description of a magic wand: "...like a nuclear bomb that grants wishes!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really would have liked to see Confederate. I love American history, and if it was done right and properly researched, that show would have been my jam. Portrayal is not endorsement, which is something I think a lot of the people screaming about it missed.

But the thing about that portrayal is that it would have been carried out by two white guys. The central premise is flawed from the start, too, because the South "won" the Civil War even after losing it by sabotaging Reconstruction. The alternate history they present is insensitive because it's based on a flawed understanding of the real history. The premise is just the truth of racism, but the creators don't even seem to understand that. Even if we reframe the question, the things it would have depicted would be vile in ways I don't even know how to properly describe, and for what? At the end of the day, you're making something that's probably gonna be immediately recut into Lost Cause propaganda. And there's no reason to think they'd get any of it right in the first place, especially after all the gross depictions of rape on GoT.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bring back old gbs posted:

It's a Will Smith vehicle so I am half expecting it to be nothing but an ego bath for him

I've liked just about everything he's in that isn't about trying to launch his talentless kid's career.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I've liked just about everything he's in that isn't about trying to launch his talentless kid's career.

Does that include Collateral Beauty? :raise:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Does that include Collateral Beauty? :raise:

I haven't seen it, or Suicide Squad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix has picked up distribution for Riverdale's Sabrina spin-off with a two season, 20 episode total, order.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix has picked up distribution for Riverdale's Sabrina spin-off with a two season, 20 episode total, order.

Is that international distro, or is the CW producing it for Netflix?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Is that international distro, or is the CW producing it for Netflix?

http://tvline.com/2017/12/01/sabrina-the-teenage-witch-reboot-series-order-netflix/

It's a Netflix original through-and-through. WBTV will own it completely, whereas they have to split ownership of Riverdale with CBS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You all missed a chance to make weed jokes last page.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So does Riverdale have magic and poo poo? I can't figure that show out at all from the trailers and commercials. Most of the time it just looks like the OC or something but it seems to actively market itself as something way weirder. Although maybe that's because almost everything else on CW has superheroes, ghosts, and zombies so they just try and make it look like it fits.

And how in the world did the witch spinoff not get picked up by CW?

I have no doubt I'm going to watch that ridiculous Smith/Landis orc Training Day movie before I watch a dozen objectively better things, it will be incredibly stupid, and I won't regret it for a moment. It just has that look.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

David Ayer has a weird track record. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt with Suicide Squad being a victim of executive meddling, End of Watch was fantastic but Sabotage was poop from a butt.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

STAC Goat posted:

And how in the world did the witch spinoff not get picked up by CW?

quote:

Netflix, the streaming platform gave producing studio Warner Bros. TV a two-season pickup offer it could not refuse. The CW — which also has another female witch drama in the works, a Charmed reboot with Jane the Virgin creator Jennie Snyder Urman — had committed only to development. Additionally, by going with Netflix, WBTV is retaining full ownership of the Sabrina series. (Riverdale is a co-production with CBS TV Studios per the CW business model, and so would’ve been The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina had it stayed at the broadcast network.)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

David Ayer, he's a good director apart from Suicide Squad, so I think Bright will be pretty good

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

STAC Goat posted:

So does Riverdale have magic and poo poo? I can't figure that show out at all from the trailers and commercials. Most of the time it just looks like the OC or something but it seems to actively market itself as something way weirder. Although maybe that's because almost everything else on CW has superheroes, ghosts, and zombies so they just try and make it look like it fits.

No, Riverdale just has a very gothic sense of tone. Showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa wrote a comic miniseries a few years ago called "Afterlife With Archie" that involved zombies and Lovecraftian mythos. He's said that his goal for the show was to maintain that same sense of dread without the actual supernatural elements (And they've been nailing it, especially this week. There was a guest spot from Tony Todd as the most menacing good samaritan imaginable!)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

It's not really much beyond your standard CW angsty pretty teen drama, except the characters are named after and act vaguely like Archie characters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

David Ayer has a weird track record. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt with Suicide Squad being a victim of executive meddling, End of Watch was fantastic but Sabotage was poop from a butt.

End of Watch was a loving fantastic movie, and also loving devastating to watch (as one would expect from a movie named after a radio broadcast for someone killed on the job). If you liked that, check out Southland on Hulu. It's probably the best and most nuanced cop show ever made.

Arist posted:

But the thing about that portrayal is that it would have been carried out by two white guys. The central premise is flawed from the start, too, because the South "won" the Civil War even after losing it by sabotaging Reconstruction. The alternate history they present is insensitive because it's based on a flawed understanding of the real history. The premise is just the truth of racism, but the creators don't even seem to understand that. Even if we reframe the question, the things it would have depicted would be vile in ways I don't even know how to properly describe, and for what? At the end of the day, you're making something that's probably gonna be immediately recut into Lost Cause propaganda. And there's no reason to think they'd get any of it right in the first place, especially after all the gross depictions of rape on GoT.

I will admit I haven't seen GoT at all, but I agree the things it would have depicted are vile as hell, and done right, could bring that vileness home to a lot of people in ways that Internet arguments and news shows never will.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/io9/status/936745131805433856

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wandle Cax posted:

David Ayer, he's a good director apart from Suicide Squad, so I think Bright will be pretty good

Have you seen his tank movie

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you seen his tank movie

Yes, it's good

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The tank movie had the best tank battle of all time

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is my poo poo. Dick Grayson is my fav dc character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, it looks like Shut Eye comes back Dec 6th. I won't watch it until I get caught up on Chance, but I know I'm not the only person here who watched the first season...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was just informed Shameless started last month and I feel a lot of ... shame ... for not knowing.

On the upside it means I have four episodes to watch tonight and another Sunday.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Hey, it looks like Shut Eye comes back Dec 6th. I won't watch it until I get caught up on Chance, but I know I'm not the only person here who watched the first season...

Yeah, I'm psyched. The original showrunner (who's also the guy who sings the theme tune) had to leave the show because of prior commitments, but John Shiban's (Breaking Bad, showrunner for the good seasons of Da Vinci's Demons) has come on to replace him. Literally the only thing I'm worried about is that the dialogue won't match the first season's ridiculously high standard for its dialogue.

esperterra posted:

I was just informed Shameless started last month and I feel a lot of ... shame ... for not knowing.

On the upside it means I have four episodes to watch tonight and another Sunday.

This season's... not been great. The Finoa stuff looks like it's going to pay off down the line, but a handful of other characters have their plots illogically blow up (Debbie particularly), and who the gently caress knows what's going on with Frank now. It's not bad, but it's deeply mediocre.

That said, I've been invested in Fiona's stuff.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 2, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm tempted to stay up all night watching Mrs. Maisel but I think I'll save the second half for tomorrow

It's good, kids

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

This season's... not been great. The Finoa stuff looks like it's going to pay off down the line, but a handful of other characters have their plots illogically blow up (Debbie particularly), and who the gently caress knows what's going on with Frank now. It's not bad, but it's deeply mediocre.

That said, I've been invested in Fiona's stuff.

At least my expectations for Debbie have been low for a couple years now, so her stuff being stupid or bad is no big deal. Good to hear Fiona's stuff is solid, though!

e: is it mediocre in the sense that other mediocre Shameless seasons are, aka better than a lot of other TV and bad for Shameless, or just plain mediocre?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snak posted:

I loved both Shut Eye and Chance but boy did Chance poo poo the bed with the season 2 finale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

At least my expectations for Debbie have been low for a couple years now, so her stuff being stupid or bad is no big deal. Good to hear Fiona's stuff is solid, though!

e: is it mediocre in the sense that other mediocre Shameless seasons are, aka better than a lot of other TV and bad for Shameless, or just plain mediocre?

I think you and I have vaguely similar tastes, but maybe I express things differently? I dunno.

Gonna go out on a limb and say I think this season's been down there with some of the dodgier stuff the show's come up with, but continues to surprise me even in the more frustrating plotlines. Even the Frank stuff is, like, pretty funny.

Except Ian, that plot line is gunge.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ian has always been bad, Mickey was his saving grace.

Going to start it up now, I'll trip report later. Something tells me there might not be enough people watching this year to warrant a thread, esp if it's been a month already without one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm halfway through the first season of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and it's really good! Thank you thread, because I would never have clicked on the actual thread for the show if it hadn't been recommended here first. It reminds me a lot of the classic movie His Girl Friday in how the dialogue is really fast-paced and snappy, which is totally my sort of thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then check out Gilmore girls and West Wing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

Then check out Gilmore girls and West Wing

Don't you know The West Wing is the reason Trump is president????

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I grew up on Sports Night and West Wing and they basically formed my worldview ideology and yeah you're probably right

Really though I started watching Gilmore Girls after the West Wing series finale because I was looking for anything remotely similar. If you like the fast talking stuff then Gilmore Girls is it. Don't watch Sorkin's other shows like Newsroom and Studio 60 because they are godawful.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

esperterra posted:

Something tells me there might not be enough people watching this year to warrant a thread, esp if it's been a month already without one.

Except there is a thread, and we have been posting in it all this time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839646

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

less laughter posted:

Except there is a thread, and we have been posting in it all this time.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839646

Whoops.

Thanks!

• Locked thread