Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

It isn't as uncharacteristic as you might think.

I feel like the next panel of this is "And then the heroes baited Thanos with Hostess Fruit Pies!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

WampaLord posted:

Episode 10 was confusing as gently caress by opening after the attack had already happened on Karen and the Senator. I had to go back to the last episode multiple times to make sure I didn't miss anything, I was like "Did they get attacked last time and I somehow missed it happening?"

Strange editing decision.

I did that too, it wasn't at all clear that they were doing some dumb quasi-Rashomon thing until a couple minutes after the credits

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Man I'm glad I'm watching the Punisher despite it being rated worse than the Defenders, the biggest budget fan fiction ever made. Thanks guys, this show is the best.

Critics are retarded.

Side note, does Frank have wolverine healing powers?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No, but yes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's Marine training for ya. They're all at least as tough as Peggy Hill.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Just finished watching the series tonight, and although I think it has some pacing issues (what Netflix Marvel show doesn't, though?), I was very satisfied with the finished product. I actually think it's one of the stronger outings in the bunch, carried mostly on Bernthal's performance, and would be very happy with a follow-up. A couple of friends I know were critical of the series, as they felt it was "out of character" for the source material, but I think it was extra ballsy to go the route that they did. It would have been easy to put out a power fantasy Punisher series with nothing but wall-to-wall violence. A huge amount of the fanbase would have been happy with that. It took guts to offer a critical examination of the nature of PTSD, the futility of war, and the toxic nature of jingoism. It was a bold move, and I think it payed off in a big way.

And plus, hell, not for nothing we still got Castle using a human head as an IED, which is like, the most Garth Ennis poo poo I can imagine.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fart City posted:

And plus, hell, not for nothing we still got Castle using a human head as an IED, which is like, the most Garth Ennis poo poo I can imagine.

That was the perfect combination of, "this dude is pro," and, "this dude is suuuper not okay."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jng2058 posted:

I mean I guess "Untitled Avengers Film" could be "Infinity War Part 2", but it doesn't seem all that likely. I think we're one and done with the Infinity War.

You might be confusing this with Justice League, which was originally announced as "Justice League Part One." That May 2019 movie is absolutely Infinity War 2, which is shooting right now (the Russos say they have a title but can't announce it because it would spoil Infinity War, which ... okay, whatever).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Man I'm glad I'm watching the Punisher despite it being rated worse than the Defenders, the biggest budget fan fiction ever made. Thanks guys, this show is the best.

Critics are retarded.

he has the power to move his body so that he always gets shot in cool action movie guy places. no organs. in and out.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

WampaLord posted:

I feel like the next panel of this is "And then the heroes baited Thanos with Hostess Fruit Pies!"

Avengers v. Justice League: Thanos and Darkseid sit on couches and talk about their love lives

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Raserys posted:

Avengers v. Justice League: Thanos and Darkseid sit on couches and talk about their love lives

https://twitter.com/Draksou/status/519159966834651136

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well, I finished it, and I have to agree that the ending was basically perfect.

It's funny, I was trying to avoid spoilers and keep up with the thread at the same time, but I ended up reading that Muddani and Liberman get shot. And sure, it was true, but they both lived! I was super glad that Lieberman ended up living, I was terrified he actually died at the exchange and that would have been super loving awful for his family.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Well, I finished it, and I have to agree that the ending was basically perfect.

It's funny, I was trying to avoid spoilers and keep up with the thread at the same time, but I ended up reading that Muddani and Liberman get shot. And sure, it was true, but they both lived! I was super glad that Lieberman ended up living, I was terrified he actually died at the exchange and that would have been super loving awful for his family.

would have been great if he died and his family got "radicalized", joined ISIS and became Punisher S2 villains

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What ends up happening to the bad guys is pretty gruesome. I had to look away for moments of both the last episodes. the mirror face drag especially. I looked up Billy Russo online and he is supposed to be "Jigsaw" but that name never came up in the series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What ends up happening to the bad guys is pretty gruesome. I had to look away for moments of both the last episodes. the mirror face drag especially. I looked up Billy Russo online and he is supposed to be "Jigsaw" but that name never came up in the series.

That's cuz jigsaw is what he calls himself after Frank fucks his face up

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Nah, the name was basically thrown in there for the fans up until that last scene there when they surprised everybody. It was a pretty well grounded series and I don't think anybody saw a legit comic book villain origin coming.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finally went back to finish off Luke Cage after binge watching all of Punisher.

Man, they should have made Luke Cage 8 episodes long. I could barely make it through all of that. Ugh.

I am starting to think the perfect amount of episodes for a Netflix season is 8. As much as I really REALLY enjoyed Punisher, it could also have had a lot cut out.

Now to watch Iron Fist and then Defenders.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe I'll finish LC one of these days. It took me like over a year to bother finishing JJ, and I had way less episodes left on that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
He's a cool character, but the bad guy plot stuff was just so boring. They had a good build up to about episode 7 or 8 and then it's like all the other shows "Wait, we have to drag this out for 5 more episodes? Really? Ok.."

I felt the same way with Stranger Things 2. It's like they're being forced to make these shows 13 episodes long with 8 episodes of story.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

Nah, the name was basically thrown in there for the fans up until that last scene there when they surprised everybody. It was a pretty well grounded series and I don't think anybody saw a legit comic book villain origin coming.

Unless you googled "Punisher Cast" to see who was play whom. Google ruins the surprise for you, but ultimate didn't ruin anything in the show.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
One detail I really liked that really helped it feel more real/grounded was the fact that two major characters had the same first name: both Jigsaw and Agent Orange were named "William" and both of them were referred to as "Bill" by their friends. And it wasn't commented on or anything, at no point was Frank like "You two are the same, Russo! You even have the same first name!"

I know its true to their comic book counterparts but a lot of adaptations would have changed one name or the other because "two characters with the same name is confusing to the audience." It helped it feel more "real," in real life you interact with people that have the same first name as each other all the time but you very rarely see it happening in movies or TV, or at least you rarely see it happening without it being commented on or being used as some sort of thematic choice.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Philthy posted:

Now to watch Iron Fist and then Defenders.

Don't do that to yourself man

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Defenders wasn't that bad. Skip Iron Fist for sure though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I seriosuly recomend just skipping to the Run the Jewels fight on youtube and then asking yourself "would I sit through 8 more hours to watch this scene?"

If No, Turn it off

If Yes, Surprise, that's definitely the best scene in the Defenders and then the remaining 2/3s has like uh, 1 other good fight in a Chinese food restaurant in like episode 6

I'm only mentioning the fights because I can't think of any scenes that really stood out, but I will genuinely admit that JJ + DD scenes are pretty well written and LC + IF is charming in a very cartoony way, so if the Defenders S2 is just pushing the 2 + 2 dynamic a la' Venture Bros it will probably be a better show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I seriosuly recomend just skipping to the Run the Jewels fight on youtube and then asking yourself "would I sit through 8 more hours to watch this scene?"

If No, Turn it off

If Yes, Surprise, that's definitely the best scene in the Defenders and then the remaining 2/3s has like uh, 1 other good fight in a Chinese food restaurant in like episode 6

I'm only mentioning the fights because I can't think of any scenes that really stood out, but I will genuinely admit that JJ + DD scenes are pretty well written and LC + IF is charming in a very cartoony way, so if the Defenders S2 is just pushing the 2 + 2 dynamic a la' Venture Bros it will probably be a better show.

The defenders has an RTJ fight scene too? I remember being pretty surprised to hear them in Iron Fist.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm only mentioning the fights because I can't think of any scenes that really stood out

The dinner scene itself before the fight is pretty great, I really wish the show was more of that. Just the 4 of them talking and bouncing off each other.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Which fight scene is the run the jewels fight scene?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Philthy posted:

He's a cool character, but the bad guy plot stuff was just so boring. They had a good build up to about episode 7 or 8 and then it's like all the other shows "Wait, we have to drag this out for 5 more episodes? Really? Ok.."

I felt the same way with Stranger Things 2. It's like they're being forced to make these shows 13 episodes long with 8 episodes of story.

That episode with Kali and her gang in ST2 felt like they had to fill an hour and had no idea what to fill it with

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Which fight scene is the run the jewels fight scene?

The one where the four of them meet for the first time.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
At Danny's old business if that helps at all.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Arist posted:

The one where the four of them meet for the first time.

Oh yeah that was cool. The rest of Defenders didn't live up to the quality of the individual series.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Soothing Vapors posted:

That episode with Kali and her gang in ST2 felt like they had to fill an hour and had no idea what to fill it with

I think it was an important episode to allow the show to grow. If the 3rd season is the same as the first two, then it’s going to be pretty stale. It also helped further establish who 11 is as a developing person and not just a spoiled little eggo eating piece of poo poo.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah not to derail but I think it will tie into S3, so maybe in the end that episode will look better.

Also Stranger Things is 17 episodes in 2 seasons (8.5 per season).

Marvel Netflix has been 13 episodes per season other than Defenders. Stranger Things has felt very tight by comparison. All the Marvel shows have felt like they’ve tried to tack in an extra storyline to the detriment of the season. The only one that did it well was Daredevil S2, but that is because they used the Punisher and Elektra, two characters who are more famous than any of the other Defenders. And even then I think it would have worked better as two separate seasons.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Critics are retarded.

yeah, i don't get why the critics are being so retarded about this. this is the best. what were they even expecting that it didn't deliver?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Fututor Magnus posted:

yeah, i don't get why the critics are being so retarded about this. this is the best. what were they even expecting that it didn't deliver?

The critics hate it because they had preconditioned themselves into thinking that the Punisher glorifies violence and gun violence in particular, therefore it is bad. Also the character allegedly has a large fanbase of trigger-happy militaristic cops, (anyone is free to correct me because I'm not from the US and this is very US-specific)
Whether it's true doesn't matter and never did

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Punisher as it has existed for quite a while as a right wing power fantasy that typically targets law breaking minorities. Even when infecting nuance there was still the fundamentals there which are why the Punisher’s logo finds its way on to people who have have guns and the power to use them.

Thats not to excuse facile political readings from critics, the show definitely doesn’t make Frank aspirational in what he is and what his crusade is doing to him and the people around him, but the show does have that cultural baggage. A ringing endorsement for the show could also be a ringing endorsement for the kind of people who think Frank has the right idea, people think it’s possible to apolitically separate art from its real life implications but it’s just not.

A least it doesn’t go all American Sniper (note the Punisher logo there) in dehumanising the Afghani people as savages, but they become more like non characters who are either cannon fodder or targets in flashbacks aside from the policeman Frank executed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just got done binging this, Frank still doesn't use the minigun from Daredevil? 1/10

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I just got done binging this, Frank still doesn't use the minigun from Daredevil? 1/10

This was actually my biggest disappointment, no joke.

He had an entire arsenal available to him in that shed after he killed the dude, and he didn't use any of it. Instead it was like, "hey micro we need some guns, go find some" and I was like, :rolleyes:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

This was actually my biggest disappointment, no joke.

He had an entire arsenal available to him in that shed after he killed the dude, and he didn't use any of it. Instead it was like, "hey micro we need some guns, go find some" and I was like, :rolleyes:

Yeah actually, what happened to those guns he was using in the intro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah actually, what happened to those guns he was using in the intro?

He thought he was done so he trashed all the gear.