Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I don't know if it was ever fixed but it was possible to reach a point near the end and be unable to proceed because you don't have enough gas masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll use the stun gun when an enemy is being troublesome, but I'll focus on learning to fight without it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

limp_cheese posted:

I don't know if it was ever fixed but it was possible to reach a point near the end and be unable to proceed because you don't have enough gas masks.

I remember that! I had to literally sprint through the entire area but managed to beat it in a few tries at least.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

PJOmega posted:

And sets off chain reactions.

If you want to cheese lategame in HZD, buy that one purple gun that entangles enemies if you use it a few times on them, then stuff it with 3 purple cool down reduction addons. Boom every dino in the game can be chain CCed to death even on the hardest difficulties.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anything for Prey? I just got to the lobby and am already paralyzed by choice.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Elendil004 posted:

The most effective weapon for nearly all of the game is the shotgun, but it has a pathetic range / damage dropoff. Use them nearly point blank against the stronger enemies, and don't waste the ammo too much (at the beginning). The psionic abilities are supposedly good, but I didn't use them in my playthrough.

The GLOO gun fixes all kinds of environment hazards, at least temporarily.

The crossbow can activate buttons.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pigdog posted:

The crossbow can activate buttons.

i never really understood this... what buttons are we talking about? i never saw one i was worried to press by hand

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The White Dragon posted:

i never really understood this... what buttons are we talking about? i never saw one i was worried to press by hand

You can use it to shoot buttons through windows and the like. Can be used to solve a couple environmental puzzles.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Did you ever see a button that was out of reach if you didn't use powers

efb

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It works on monitors and most keypads too. Touch interfaces and whatnot.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I held onto the crossbow until the 3rd straight hour without using it before I disassembled it.

If you are in an area where you are getting your rear end kicked, don't go there yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can use it to shoot buttons through windows and the like. Can be used to solve a couple environmental puzzles.

ohhhhh poo poo man i never even thought about this. actually my favorite thing was to drop some bolts on the ground and use them as a generalist morph template for "object that can get anywhere" :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Crossbow is really good against those radioactive motion sensing guys.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
When you start fighting phantoms, don't try hiding behind cover and trading shots because their attacks hit hard and have splash damage. Either stay out of sight to ambush them or keep moving.

pigdog posted:

The most effective weapon for nearly all of the game is the shotgun, but it has a pathetic range / damage dropoff. Use them nearly point blank against the stronger enemies, and don't waste the ammo too much (at the beginning). The psionic abilities are supposedly good, but I didn't use them in my playthrough.
There's one ability that disables the psionics of the target. That with the bullet time human ability and shotgun was my bread and butter taking out some of the bigger typhon later on.

Morph is super useful, but it's to shrink yourself down and squeeze into gaps rather than hiding like you'd think.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Only recently got a PS4. My library consists of Let It Die.
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Let_It_Die

Is the wiki still good? I don't think I'll beat this game but I wanna smash things in my downtime, maybe while downloading/installing other games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

yook posted:

Morph is super useful, but it's to shrink yourself down and squeeze into gaps rather than hiding like you'd think.
Should add that level 3 morph allows you to loving fly. Which would typically be awesome but given all the other options you have is just a neat bonus.
But yeah, definitely an exploration ability. The PSI stuff doesn't really help with stealth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

The taser is actually really good once upgraded.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PRL412 posted:

Is the wiki still good? I don't think I'll beat this game but I wanna smash things in my downtime, maybe while downloading/installing other games.
I wrote the wiki's tips. They mostly still apply, but the game's been tweaked in the meantime to where I'd say there's no reason not to start Tokyo Death Metro ASAP. They removed all downsides of losing and costs to try an attack.

It's worth logging in every day and also worth participating in TDM battles (even just one fight) to get a share of the rewards.

You do know that on PS4, playing a game with any online connectivity massively slows background downloads? And LID pings a server like crazy due to being somewhat freemium?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PRL412 posted:

I've not played in months, but there doesnt seem to be much in the wiki that is likely to have changed. There is also a thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800474 its not massively active, but pretty newbie-friendly if you ahve any specific questions.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

If you decide to go for a Human Powers Only run, familiarize yourself with the materials duping exploit because you’re going to be burning through ammo at a much higher rate than if you had typhon powers. Definitely get that shotgun and taser modded ASAP because that’s going to be your only way of really putting it to the bigger, floatier enemies.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

im cute posted:

If you decide to go for a Human Powers Only run, familiarize yourself with the materials duping exploit because you’re going to be burning through ammo at a much higher rate than if you had typhon powers. Definitely get that shotgun and taser modded ASAP because that’s going to be your only way of really putting it to the bigger, floatier enemies.

I can't imagine that being needed on normal difficulties, but I would say, side-exploring is good for staying supplied. But I would say, if you like killing enemies spend neuromods on killing enemies better. The perk for +damage on all security weapons is good, and focus on +damage on weapon mods for better ammo efficiency.

Also, as should maybe be on the top of all Arkane games BIP pages : Look UP! And sometimes down.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Tylana posted:

I can't imagine that being needed on normal difficulties, but I would say, side-exploring is good for staying supplied. But I would say, if you like killing enemies spend neuromods on killing enemies better. The perk for +damage on all security weapons is good, and focus on +damage on weapon mods for better ammo efficiency.

Also, as should maybe be on the top of all Arkane games BIP pages : Look UP! And sometimes down.

I was playing pretty slowly and conservative on Normal and ran low or out of ammo a few times, especially for the silenced pistol. The bigger enemies can be serious bullet sinks and woe be to you if you’re hitting a Telepath with a wrench.

That said, running past enemies is also a viable tactic and probably the only way (besides sneaking) to get around the lobby in the late game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Were you using stealth? Sneak attacks are incredibly powerful if you throw a couple neuromods into them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Olaf The Stout posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Return it. It's the only game I've preordered as an adult, I bought every DLC there was for the entire original trilogy, and I got two achievements into this game and deleted it.

I played the demo and made a cool looking space lady and had a good few hours doing space pew pew. I don't see the issues either.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Were you using stealth? Sneak attacks are incredibly powerful if you throw a couple neuromods into them.

Stealth attacks with the silenced pistol combined with smart use of the lean buttons will save you asstons of ammo/health. Poke your head around the corner, line up the shot, and poof bonus damage, and because you didn't make noise by walking or using a loud weapon, you can do this as much as you want without the enemy figuring out where you are. Sure as poo poo beats just running up to bad guys and unloading tons of ammo.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

It took >10min to sneak-plink the Telepath in Living Quarters to death. I learned later the way to go was to rush them, hit them with a fully charged stun gun, and then empty your shotgun into them.

sebmojo posted:

I played the demo and made a cool looking space lady and had a good few hours doing space pew pew. I don't see the issues either.

The issues (besides the expressions that they tried fixing and the numerous bugs) generally take a while to express themselves because it has serious writing and characterization problems on top of the usual sandbox-aimlessness-too-many-missions problems.

im cute fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I'm like 10 hours in and enjoying the hell out of it. The narrative isn't as tight and well written as the trilogy, but it's also a totally different game with a different structure.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Kenny Logins posted:

I wrote the wiki's tips. They mostly still apply, but the game's been tweaked in the meantime to where I'd say there's no reason not to start Tokyo Death Metro ASAP. They removed all downsides of losing and costs to try an attack.

It's worth logging in every day and also worth participating in TDM battles (even just one fight) to get a share of the rewards.

You do know that on PS4, playing a game with any online connectivity massively slows background downloads? And LID pings a server like crazy due to being somewhat freemium?

SiKboy posted:

I've not played in months, but there doesnt seem to be much in the wiki that is likely to have changed. There is also a thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800474 its not massively active, but pretty newbie-friendly if you ahve any specific questions.

Thanks guys.

I also vaguely remember something about when you clear a floor of all enemies, a tougher enemy begins to spawn there? Or maybe that's on higher floors.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PRL412 posted:

Thanks guys.

I also vaguely remember something about when you clear a floor of all enemies, a tougher enemy begins to spawn there? Or maybe that's on higher floors.

Thats a few floors up. You'll see a cutscene which tells you when that starts. After its started, once all the enemies on a floor are dead you have a (I think random) amount of time then a siren sounds. When that siren sounds you are at risk of being attacked by MUCH tougher enemies, so book it for an exit. When I was playing I only encountered them a couple of times.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hey what do I need to know about Shogun 2 Total War? It's my first Total War game so I am completely unprepared.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Any advice for Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 for someone who played a lot of the original?

Lucinice posted:

Hey what do I need to know about Shogun 2 Total War? It's my first Total War game so I am completely unprepared.

Kind of broad for a grand strategy game, mostly take your time and learn how to control your economy so you don't break your game

More expensive units are much stronger but also have fewer men in the units and cost way more.

Being too aggressive will make everyone on the island flip on you and turbofuck your armies, make sure you don't challenge too much without proper stacks.

Never autoresolve battles unless it's an absolutely sure thing.

Other than that I would highly recommended watching some videos on how the combat works. It's not hard, there are just a lot of small things that can add up to you winning battles that you would have been decimated by. Small things up front:

don't wear your guys out by running everywhere, it's a huge hit to their combat effectiveness

90% of the time you won't actually kill an enemy, you will just break their morale and make them run. Encircling a unit until it breaks is far better than face tanking them until they lose enough men to run.

Swords beat Spears, spears beat cavalry. Generally all the massed infantry will have spears while samurai have swords, unlike others where it's more mixed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Any advice for Cook, Serve, Delicious 2 for someone who played a lot of the original?

The only big new mechanic is the holding station mechanic. Holding stations are where you prepare bulk food for various purposes, and what you decide to use your holding stations for is important for scoring well. You'll pick up the strategies as you go, but honestly the only thing you need to know ahead of time is that every side dish you have cooked and sitting in a holding station will make customers wait longer for their food. The side dishes have to be unique, so cooking four giant pans of beans for ShipWrecked's Beans And Only Beans Cafe will only count as having one side dish.

Following is just some unnecessary rambling about holding stations. You'll probably pick it up without this but I'm in a ramblin' mood.

There's basically three things you can do with holding stations.

- Some main dishes have optional components that can be pre-made at a holding station, for example you can pre-grill a bunch of burger patties by using a holding station, so when someone orders a burger all you have to do is put it together, no need to wait for the burger to grill since it's already done. This can be an advantage, since you can quickly fill many orders, but it can also be dangerous during a rush hour, since a fulfilled order will instantly get a customer replacing it. Sometimes you want a customer to wait on a burger to be grilled just so it occupies the customer slot with a guy who's not about to stomp off in a huff.

-Some main dishes require parts of them to be pre-made at a holding station, for example it's not possible to fulfill a lasagna order unless you've already got some lasagna ready to go in your holding station. Be careful not to let a customer start to get mad when you suddenly realize you need to prep food in a holding station for them. Customers don't have infinite patience for holding station food to cook the way they do for their personal order.

-The last thing you can do with a holding station is keep a side dish in it. For every unique side dish you have in your holding station, customers will wait longer for their main dish to be served, and when it IS served, they will pay more for it. However, each main dish you serve will deplete a random one of your available side dishes until they're depleted and you need to cook more. It's good strategy to try to time your side orders so they're ready to go right at the beginning of a rush hour. Side dishes vary from things like salads that have zero cooking time but will only provide a few orders and will go bad if allowed to sit for long without being used, to foods like stew that are complex to prepare and slow to cook, but will supply many servings and will stay good for most of the day.

You often won't have enough holding stations to have one of every possible food in there, so try to prepare complex stuff during downtimes, and save the salads for when you need to throw something together quickly during a rush hour.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cheers, sounds pretty straightforward. Although my dreams of an entirely bean-based restaurant are totally dashed, thanks for that.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Lucinice posted:

Combat wise the hammer and anvil will take you through 90% of encounters. Make a yari ashigaru wall with which to lock down the line, take your swords and or cavalry from the sides and smash. Note that cavalry has to be heavily microed to be effective.

Metawise playing to your clans strength is paramount. If you're playing the Shimazu for example rush bunes ASAP and get 2, 3 shipping lanes by the 10th turn. Clans with combat bonuses tend to be easier than clans with metagame bonuses, merchants and ninja are crap until you research boost their rates for example.

As any clan, don't forget about diplomacy, always try to have something going with anyone you can for extra resources or money.

Finally, without spoiling anything, don't make an attempt on the shogunate or more than half of japan until you're certain you can survive the rest of the game on your own.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lucinice posted:

OxMan posted:

Finally, without spoiling anything, don't make an attempt on the shogunate or more than half of japan until you're certain you can survive the rest of the game on your own.

to clarify this point, after you control 16(?) fiefs, which is more like 1/6 of the map, the game enters a state of emergency called Realm Divide where every AI player declares permanent war on you, and it's not just like a trade thing; they will mass gigantic armies to send into your territories and ruin your day. i explain this because i would've liked the game a lot more if i'd known this happens the first time i played. it really, really sucks.

NEVER neglect your navy. naval units have poor area of control relative to where ships can actually travel, and ships have such a huge move range every turn that they can easily just go around a blockade three or even four deployed navies tall, land their units, and destroy your chance for victory. the problem is that navies are expensive and hard to heal, so... good luck :shobon:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 4, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A few more for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild:

- Don't stray too far from the road at first, a lot of important NPCs appear along it.

- Shield surfing in sand and snow doesn't use any durability.

- Destroyed Guardians that are in water(even an inch deep) can be flipped over with Cryonis for a few more Ancient parts.

- Stasis highlights almost everything interactable around you: Enemies, chests, ingredients, rocks.

- Use your special abilities liberally, they have pretty short cooldowns(especially the Rito one).

- Foods that temporarily give you extra hearts also fully restore your health. Later on when you have a ton of hearts cooking single hearty food can be a good way of getting cheap heals. This also applies to stamina.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 6, 2017

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Battle Brothers? Can't find the thread nor anything on the wiki.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The Battle Brothers thread is here. There's some info in the second post.

I'll add that making profit from trade goods is important to get heavy armour squad wide and keep the superstars alive.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Also this on the last page

Count Uvula posted:

Get a couple dudes with heavy armor and the "damage taken is reduced based on armor" perk (a level 6 one iirc) ASAP. It can still take a while to get heavy armor if you're learning the ropes.
Spears are the king of the early game weaponization, since they give a huge bonus to aim and spearwalls are great against some of the early game nightmares like Dire Wolves, undead, and Nachzehrer hordes. Intelligent enemies will avoid spearwalls if they can, causing you to waste precious fatigue.
Flails and daggers can be used to steal intact armor by killing a dude without damaging his sweet scale mail. An easy way to slot in daggers is to put one in the pockets of each of your good melee dudes and switch to them if the only enemies left are fleeing and wearing poo poo you want.
Retreating is your best friend in Battle Brothers. It can be done at any time, including in the enemy's turns, and saving the life of your good boys is worth the injuries retreating unsafely causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Lucinice posted:

Don't bother upgrading farms if a province's fertility is less than medium. You'll never make your money back.