Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Slung's 27-year-old grandpa-driven truck was making weird vibrations, so we thought it was probably the carrier bearing since the rubber looked kinda bad from beneath.

Once we got the driveshaft off, it became obvious that one of the u-joints refused to turn on one of its axes - no movement at all.

It's super weird that it didn't make any noise, because in my experience these things make a tremendous racket when they eat poo poo. Then again, we had to use the bench vise to pull the bearing caps off.

We picked up three new u-joints at the ol' parts store.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Having been the proud owner of a few Chrysler products over the years, I learned how to swap out U-joint crosses at roadside, and always carried at least two in my toolbox.

The only warning I ever got was that the view out the center rearview mirror would get...fuzzy on acceleration. None ever made a noise when they let go, not even the one that peeled an ear on the front yoke (which I have around, somewhere, as a paperweight).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Meh, you could still tell it is supposed to be a needle bearing so it not THAT bad :clint:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Meh, you could still tell it is supposed to be a needle bearing so it not THAT bad :clint:

poo poo, you could tell there ever *where* needle bearings, so it's not *that* bad.
(Been there. Nothing but dust.)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Eehh. Those joints could have been worse. I had a combo recently. That usual wear, plus a side that had needle bearing dust and a tapered inner race... or whatever it's called on a universal joint.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Stolen off imgur

Gearbox off a diamond barge.

Bearing on the left side failed here.

Gallery here with some pictures of another unit that failed at the start.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/UgEHpWc.mp4

dat rotational inertia

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Pop goes the diesel.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

InitialDave posted:

Pop goes the diesel.

My wife and I both had a good laugh at this, thank you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Memento posted:

Stolen off imgur

That's definitely my poo poo. Looks like maybe a Falk or a Hansen? Lucky the low speed side seems relatively intact after the input decided to poo poo the bed. That's the big money end.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

That's definitely my poo poo. Looks like maybe a Falk or a Hansen? Lucky the low speed side seems relatively intact after the input decided to poo poo the bed. That's the big money end.

I was browsing through /justrolledintotheshop the other day and they've uploaded a bunch of stuff. For more big carnage - https://www.reddit.com/user/newoldschool/posts/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd like video.. I want to hear the noise.

it just gets more and more beautiful each time I watch..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Where the hell is all the oil? :raise:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

Where the hell is all the oil? :raise:

It instantly became an atomized cloud.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/7VGSKaH.mp4

That doesn't seem like it should have necessarily happened, from the severity of the impact.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's a lot of shear force in parts that aren't designed to take it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's a lot of shear force in parts that aren't designed to take it.

Itz probably a solid bar rear axel held on by a bunch of bolts which are totally not designed to take a 20mph bounce off a curb fully sideways

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7VGSKaH.mp4

That doesn't seem like it should have necessarily happened, from the severity of the impact.

I can't tell the maker from the clip but it looks like a Peugot or some other lovely non mainline Euro car, but even then, that's a fairly hard lateral crash to the rear end.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DiggityDoink posted:

I can't tell the maker from the clip but it looks like a Peugot or some other lovely non mainline Euro car, but even then, that's a fairly hard lateral crash to the rear end.

It's a Citroen

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Citroen Xsara VTS. Yes, solid bar rear axle as above. Actually a hoot to drive.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I was just surprised the whole axle went out as opposed to the wheel breaking off at the hub.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

cakesmith handyman posted:

Citroen Xsara VTS. Yes, solid bar rear axle as above. Actually a hoot to drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Xsara

quote:

At the front was a standard MacPherson strut layout with anti-roll bar, while the rear used the PSA Peugeot-Citroën fully independent trailing arm/torsion bar set up, which was first introduced on the Peugeot 305 estate. However, PSA's chassis engineers employed some unusual features, including passive rear wheel steering, though less than on the ZX, (by means of specially designed compliance bushes in the rear suspension), and inhouse developed and constructed shock absorbers. At high mileages, this is prone to wear of the axle mounting bushes which is easily fixed. It is also prone to wear in the rear axle trailing arm bearings, which then wear the trailing arm axle tubes, requiring an expensive rebuild or a replacement axle assembly.

Citroen developing a mechanically clever but fragile system? But that never happens!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Memento posted:

Stolen off imgur

That's cute :smug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've always wondered, how effective is your hearing protection in that sort of environment? Don't you just feel all the insane levels of sound through your bones anyway?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

I guess I was just surprised the whole axle went out as opposed to the wheel breaking off at the hub.

It actually kinda looks like the impact wheel bends at the hub (and probably freezes the bearing,) and then when the car touches down again after the bounce, the drag from the now-hideously-misaligned-and-no-longer-rotating wheel rips the axle out of the car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, when it comes down, the tyre grabs onto the metalwork and rips itself out. I can't imagine anything similar would fare much better.

I do want to see the next few seconds to find out if the guy just carries on View To A Kill style. One of my favourite rally moments was Tommi Makkinen did the same thing, and only stopped because they got to the (public road) transport stage and the police asked him what the gently caress he was doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmWR5WFbkz4

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Memento posted:

I've always wondered, how effective is your hearing protection in that sort of environment? Don't you just feel all the insane levels of sound through your bones anyway?

From my experience - it's loud. We would double up on hearing protection, in ear stuff + big over the ear stuff and it worked well. You still feel the noise but it's not too bad on the ears strangely enough.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

TrueChaos posted:

From my experience - it's loud. We would double up on hearing protection, in ear stuff + big over the ear stuff and it worked well. You still feel the noise but it's not too bad on the ears strangely enough.

I have it on good authority that the danger is not to your ears when you feel the noise, but is in fact when the girls rock your boys.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I have it on good authority that the danger is not to your ears when you feel the noise, but is in fact when the girls rock your boys.

I laughed too hard at this.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

InitialDave posted:

Pop goes the diesel.

Some good postin itt.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

aftermath to that engine dyno disaster I posted earlier. jalopnik story as well.

de-loving-stroyed

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tetrapyloctomy posted:

wild

wild wild

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

:vince:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tater_salad posted:

I'd like video.. I want to hear the noise.

it just gets more and more beautiful each time I watch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqVwHJPV-XE&t=195s

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Faster Blaster posted:

I laughed too hard at this.
I've been working on my dad jokes, gotta be ready.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Terrible upload failure for this one, but I'll give you two options: the Facebook video, and the poorly re-uploaded YouTube of it if you hate Facebook too much.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1758281770890211&id=443180369067031

Edit: thanks for the fix, memento

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-FaUgSzzM

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 3, 2017

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No sound on these videos sorry guys. I mean the turbos sounded good but I wanted to hear the kaboom where the engines extremely bottom end decided to let everything above the crank go feee

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

aftermath to that engine dyno disaster I posted earlier. jalopnik story as well.

de-loving-stroyed

140 loving PSI

Holeeeeeeeee shitsnacks Pam.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Terrible upload failure for this one, but I'll give you two options: the Facebook video, and the poorly re-uploaded YouTube of it if you hate Facebook too much.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1758281770890211&id=443180369067031

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVFAOxs2q0U

I bet that hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slim Pickens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-FaUgSzzM

I hated it so much I fixed it