Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Sicilian posted:

Well no, Sodium actually has poo poo CRI. CRI is what determines the clarity of the spectrum of light being broadcast. Thing of a bowl of different fruits under a Sodium lamp, they will look washed out and dull.

In california, certain convention centers mix warm and cool lighting (3000k and 4500k) for the best clarity and "pop" of colors for exhibiting conventioneers.

Yeah sodium is probably too warm. I think under driving conditions you want to avoid glare as much as possible, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why is that an important difference for people who are not first responders

Well, for me personally, it's irritating as hell to look outside and think "I can't leave the house today, the snow is too deep." Genuinely unsafe driving conditions are a different matter, but I want my household to always include a car that can navigate deep snow, so that I never have to cancel plans or miss work because of some factor that could be easily overcome by ground clearance and decent tires. I know that I'm a little bit crazy in my determination to adhere to plans in the face of weather, but it's my money, my car (or maybe my wife's), and my crazy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FogHelmut posted:

This is true about the green light, but you lose any sense of color - it makes everything you're looking at become shades of green. I soldered together this obnoxious thing a few years ago, and its absolutely blinding. https://i.imgur.com/4XmINoZ.png

Lumens are a poo poo unless combined with a light quality measurement.

Color Rendering Index (CRI) isn’t an ideal measure for LEDs because it was tailored to fluorescent lamps, but it’s worth something when it’s 90+.

The Sicilian posted:

In california, certain convention centers mix warm and cool lighting (3000k and 4500k) for the best clarity and "pop" of colors for exhibiting conventioneers.

That’s weird because no artist works with light like that, in their studio or coming out of their monitor.

But I can see how it can give “pop”. Enchroma glasses do a similar thing by suppressing the centre of the spectrum, as do neodymium filters that were once popular with film photographers..

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Well, for me personally, it's irritating as hell to look outside and think "I can't leave the house today, the snow is too deep." Genuinely unsafe driving conditions are a different matter, but I want my household to always include a car that can navigate deep snow, so that I never have to cancel plans or miss work because of some factor that could be easily overcome by ground clearance and decent tires. I know that I'm a little bit crazy in my determination to adhere to plans in the face of weather, but it's my money, my car (or maybe my wife's), and my crazy.

If there is too much snow to drive no place you were planing on going will be open.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I realized I didn't post my EV autocross pictures and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkuozx0itPc

Running 225/45/17 BFG Rivals (the most competitive tire in the class) I was about 3 seconds off of a Mini Cooper S with decent tires and placed 13th out of 23. I was 4 seconds off the lead car.

The weight of the car and the open differential really hurt overall performance. Aftermarket suspension would help a lot, but only so much. Basically at low speeds the inside tire would spin like crazy unless you took care to feather the throttle, in the video you can see the speedo go up and then back down as you exit the corner. It is really odd not having engine noise as feedback, but on the other hand you can hear every little noise the tires make.

In the end removing the fuses for traction and stability control and ABS was key, the car will not let you throw it around like this with the systems enabled, and with them off I noticed no bad tendencies or problems except a bunch of warning lights on the dash. I have a Leaf Box but I unplugged it as not to introduce any unwanted tendencies not prepared for by the Nissan engineers.

We towed it 200 miles round trip otherwise it would not have been possible. We started at 100% charge and ended about 50% after about 10 minutes total of running! Nearest charger was L2 and 25 miles away.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elephanthead posted:

If there is too much snow to drive no place you were planing on going will be open.

:lol: No.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The usual form of that problem is “my little street hasn’t been plowed yet, but the major roads and retail areas have been done”. Just have to make it a couple blocks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

The usual form of that problem is “my little street hasn’t been plowed yet, but the major roads and retail areas have been done”. Just have to make it a couple blocks.

Here they only plow the side roads once a year, so in the years with warm weather mixed with a lot of snow, you get 3 bare tire tracks with ~6 inches of ice between them. It punched out the middle of the bumper on my 540.

For most people around here, the ride height + side wall of a CUV provides nothing but benefit. It's also the only way you'll ever get people to buy a hatchback. For most people here there's no reason to buy the car version of something that offers a CUV version beyond price.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Elephanthead posted:

Not true, the best day of me owning an AMC Eagle was when it snowed so hard and fast in Madison that we went to Target when they were still open and the place was empty.
Has anyone made an EV AMC Eagle?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zorak of Michigan posted:

usually if it snows enough for me to not drive (like six inches plus), i look on it as an opportunity to not have to do anything other than ski

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Vitamin J posted:

I realized I didn't post my EV autocross pictures and video.

I have nothing more to add than “this was awesome and hilarious in a way”. It must be easier to tell if you’re at the limits of traction as you don’t have an ICE drowning out your tire squeal. :v: Congrats on being the first person I know to hustle a Leaf around a track!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
On proper tires, the Bolt is a lot of fun too.

Finally driving the new Leaf on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Finally driving the new Leaf on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I am very much looking forward to reading about that. Will be nice to have more competition to the Bolt in the ~$35k range.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Motor Trend looks at Bolt vs Leaf vs Model 3.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...l-3-long-range/

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I really need to drive a Bolt, on paper it seems like it's the first EV hot hatch. 0-60 in 6 something and 1/4 mile in 14 seconds it pretty good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vitamin J posted:

I really need to drive a Bolt, on paper it seems like it's the first EV hot hatch. 0-60 in 6 something and 1/4 mile in 14 seconds it pretty good.

you'll need tires

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Vitamin J posted:

Compare it with a FoST.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The 500e is definitely fun as gently caress.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jesus, the Model 3 is basically just as quick as my ‘98 Z28 or ‘06 GTO were.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Electric motors are basically cheating.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I was equally impressed with my '17 Volt.. Only 150hp which is the same as my previous vehicle. But I guess 294lb-ft of torque makes quite a difference. :)

Way more than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Driving the new Leaf tomorrow. If anyone has questions for the engineers, ask them here before the AM.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

When is the extended range version coming out so I can upgrade.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Driving the new Leaf tomorrow. If anyone has questions for the engineers, ask them here before the AM.

HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING YOU AND WHY IS IT A RINGER MODEL

POST THE loving BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

The Ioniq can charge at 70 kWh on CCS, when will the Leaf get faster charging?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING YOU AND WHY IS IT A RINGER MODEL

POST THE loving BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Don't worry it isn't a GM.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

stevewm posted:

I was equally impressed with my '17 Volt.. Only 150hp which is the same as my previous vehicle. But I guess 294lb-ft of torque makes quite a difference. :)

Way more than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

All that torque is one of the reasons my old V8 Cutlass seemed to be more peppy than my Cavalier despite them having the same HP (thanks 70's and 80's gas / emissions crap).

And yeah, the Volt is mighty quick off the line. I just wish it didn't lose so much after 30mph. Of course, that is the drawback with electric motors.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

duz posted:

When is the extended range version coming out so I can upgrade.

MY19

Ola posted:

The Ioniq can charge at 70 kWh on CCS, when will the Leaf get faster charging?

They say they’re looking into it but nothing concrete yet.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

drgitlin posted:

Probably too late, but did they happen to mention if their Android Auto implementation allows for wireless?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

tvgm2 posted:

Probably too late, but did they happen to mention if their Android Auto implementation allows for wireless?

It doesn’t right now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

drgitlin posted:

It doesn’t right now.
I thought AA required the cord. Is there a wireless version now?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ug, I guess I'll call Nissan and get my '11 battery replaced then.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

ilkhan posted:

I thought AA required the cord. Is there a wireless version now?

Google talked about it at IO in 2016 and said it was still being worked on in May 2017. But maybe I inferred too much as there's barely any articles from sources I've seen before.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Good article Mr. Gitlin!

Did you have any other Leaf observations that you couldn’t put in for lack of space? Would you be happy with this thing if it was your daily commuter car?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Thanks! Yeah, it’s decent enough, and the ProPilot Assist would make commuting a lot easier than it would be in a Bolt. Although if the commute was short enough I’d find it hard not to get a used i3.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker
I don't have a long commute. That low a price with lane-keeping, etc. is making me consider cancelling my Model 3 pre-order for the new Leaf.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think you’re the only one in that frame of mind.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Thanks! Yeah, it’s decent enough, and the ProPilot Assist would make commuting a lot easier than it would be in a Bolt. Although if the commute was short enough I’d find it hard not to get a used i3.

The only problem I have with i3s is that used models all seem to hang around the $15k mark all day, which is “buy a used Leaf with the same mileage and fill that mo’ fo’s hatch with drat fine liquor” territory. New they’re slightly more expensive in a lease than the stripped down Bolt, which gives you, you know, almost twice the range.

I love the interior and body on the i3, I just find it hard as hell to justify on the used market. Still though, Bolt leases now are hovering around my current car payment and I intend to start paying it down some over time to be sure I don’t eat copious amounts of poo on the trade-in.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Anyone know about the original roadster? I am looking to buy myself a fun toy since the model 3 has been so delayed. I am over 6'8" in height, am I hosed for fitting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Anyone know about the original roadster? I am looking to buy myself a fun toy since the model 3 has been so delayed. I am over 6'8" in height, am I hosed for fitting?

Yeah basically. I'm 6'2" and I can't drive one for more than 20 minutes or so without getting really uncomfortable. Unless you live somewhere that you can basically keep the roof off all the time.

That's really the main reason I didn't buy one years ago.

• Locked thread