Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

underage at the vape shop posted:

Because of sales weirdness and cashback, the 1.4 is cheaper in aus right now

Get the 1.4, it makes better compromise than the 2.0 IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I find that the sensor on the the X-T2/T20 is good enough that you don't even need to consider between f1.4 and f2.0 in terms of light allowance even if you are regularly shooting in extremely dark situations. The ISO performance is more than enough to make up for it. I am not even sure I can argue there is a large enough difference in bokeh to care either. Ultimately you should base your decision on which is sharpest at equivalent apertures, whether you need faster AF performance, and the size/weight.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The 35mm f/2 is much faster but the 35mm f/1.4 is optically better. Sharpness is mostly a wash by f/4 for both lenses tho. Just bear in mind that the f/2 is heavily software corrected.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I posted in the DSLR thread a few months ago looking for a camera for the wife. They sent me here because the mirrorless has such great size and weight advantages and we have a toddler. I agree this will get used more, so I'm sold. She will primarily use it for shooting kids indoors and outdoors with some up-close nature stuff, although we will add more lenses later.

Is this a good "getting started kit": The X-T20 body w/ The XF-18-55 is what I assume you guys are talking about. Is there another version of this lens that has OIS or is the $400 price difference something different with model or warranty? The XF-18-55 by itself appears to be more like $700.

Do you have case recommendations? I saw stuff like this which is appealing because it's a quick-and-dirty cover but I envision her throwing the camera and maybe an extra lens into a giant bag for treks. Should I worry about it more in a bag that is going to have diapers in it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The 18-55 assuming that's the f2.8-4 is faster which is good for indoors and slightly longer which is good for kids. I can't speak to performance

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Is this a good "getting started kit": The X-T20 body w/ The XF-18-55 is what I assume you guys are talking about. Is there another version of this lens that has OIS or is the $400 price difference something different with model or warranty? The XF-18-55 by itself appears to be more like $700.

Yeah, it actually looks like it may be cheaper elsewhere though: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...REG&sku=1311270

That's the 18-55 with OIS. There isn't another version of the 18-55.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I would keep in mind that while the 18-55 kit lens gives you a lot of flexibility, it's size definitely puts it in the DSLR-like bulk category that might make it annoying to carry around. I would personally recommend something like the 23mm f2 lens to start out with. It has a wide enough focal length that it's great for tighter indoor kid shots without having to step back too far. It also has a slightly wider maximum aperture which is even better for low light. You just have to get used to moving your body around to change the perspective instead of zooming the lens in or out

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 28, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

polyester concept posted:

I would keep in mind that while the 18-55 kit lens gives you a lot of flexibility, it's size definitely puts it in the DSLR-like bulk category that might make it annoying to carry around. I would personally recommend something like the 23mm f2 lens to start out with. It has a wide enough focal length that it's great for tighter indoor kid shots without having to step back too far. It also has a slightly wider maximum aperture which is even better for low light. You just have to get used to moving your body around to change the perspective instead of zooming the lens in or out

For a first shooter with kid, i disagree. At 18mm it's wider and at 2.8 fast enough. A wide normal zoom is too useful for kid shooting. The 23 might be my second lens, though.

This is the kit you want, not the other lens. https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-T...ywords=Xt20+kit

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, I picked up the 18-55 kit and will add the 23 to the list. Getting in on that B&H photo deal was a nice save, too! I'm excited for us to move beyond P&S.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

polyester concept posted:

The 18-55 is bigger than a pancake to be sure, but it's the smallest Fuji lens I own. Just looking at it next to the 90 f/2 or 55-250 makes me laugh. I think the Fuji 18-55 has to take some kind of record for cheapest, smallest, and high quality in the world of "kit" lenses.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Went with the 1.4, talked myself into the 50 f2 while I was there as well.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Went with the 1.4, talked myself into the 50 f2 while I was there as well.
I'm really liking the 50 F2 so far, hope you do too.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm really liking the 50 F2 so far, hope you do too.

Yeah I'm really excited to use it, just bumming around at home it's really nice. It's my last big purchase before going to Europe, I think between the 35 and 50 I'll be pretty set, and I have the 18-55 for when I want wide.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 28, 2017

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah I'm really excited to use it, just bumming around at home it's really nice. It's my last big purchase before going to Europe, I think between the 35 and 50 I'll be pretty set, and I have the 18-55 for when I want wide.

For Europe you really want an ultra wide so you can get those interior cathedral shots. Rokinon 12mm is cheap and good. Manual focus only but who cares at that focal length. Also it’s great for astro. I can’t wait to get one of the new Fuji cameras so I can try that sensor for astro

https://instagram.com/p/7DRkOyCqds/

https://instagram.com/p/7DXhBqCqbA/

https://instagram.com/p/BaVS5OYnBh7/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Hed posted:

Do you have case recommendations? I saw stuff like this which is appealing because it's a quick-and-dirty cover but I envision her throwing the camera and maybe an extra lens into a giant bag for treks. Should I worry about it more in a bag that is going to have diapers in it?
I use a similar <$20 neoprene case which I like for keeping the dust off the camera around the house, and it allows for the kit lens (or smaller) as well.

I don't know if any form-fitting case for the X-T20 is going to offer a ton of baby-proof/rugged protection, you'd be getting into camera bag territory there. I think you'd want to look at the bag she'd be using and decide if there's any additional padding it would need, for peace of mind. It may be that an inner compartment or two will already be just fine; the key is then to get in the habit of only using those compartments and not just tossing the camera anywhere.

On another note, there's some Fuji firmware updates coming tomorrow for X-T2, GFX and X-T20. Annoyingly, the Fuji X Raw Studio processing isn't supported by the X-T20 yet at this point. Hope they can get it in, and soon.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 29, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

I use a similar <$20 neoprene case which I like for keeping the dust off the camera around the house, and it allows for the kit lens (or smaller) as well.

I don't know if any form-fitting case for the X-T20 is going to offer a ton of baby-proof/rugged protection, you'd be getting into camera bag territory there. I think you'd want to look at the bag she'd be using and decide if there's any additional padding it would need, for peace of mind. It may be that an inner compartment or two will already be just fine; the key is then to get in the habit of only using those compartments and not just tossing the camera anywhere.

On another note, there's some Fuji firmware updates coming tomorrow for X-T2, GFX and X-T20. Annoyingly, the Fuji X Raw Studio processing isn't supported by the X-T20 yet at this point. Hope they can get it in, and soon.

Wait, is Fuji X Raw Studio out?? I haven’t seen anything about it since like September and have been really looking forward to it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rio posted:

Wait, is Fuji X Raw Studio out?? I haven’t seen anything about it since like September and have been really looking forward to it.
I think it drops tomorrow. I'd been looking forward to it too.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

Oh poo poo, that’s great! I wonder why they aren’t including the X t-20 - they are the same raws, aren’t they? I get that they want to distinguish the x-t2 from the 20 but they already did that with the features of the cameras.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rio posted:

Oh poo poo, that’s great! I wonder why they aren’t including the X t-20 - they are the same raws, aren’t they? I get that they want to distinguish the x-t2 from the 20 but they already did that with the features of the cameras.
Hard to say. It has the same X Processor Pro that's key to the whole application. I think it might still get it but might take longer to get the firmware updated. Fujirumors suggests it has has something to do with the size of the firmware file that the XE-3 and pricier cameras can handle easier for whatever reason.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's just basic market segmentation.

Fuji debuted the X-T2 for too much, and rather than lower the price and piss off early adopters, they've resorted to bringing out 2 other nearly-identical cameras which actually have nicer physical features (articulating touch screen on X-T20; touch screen and Bluetooth on X-E3) at a more appropriate price point, and will artificially limit them through software.

This is in contrast to the X-T10, which had both worse hardware and software compared to the X-T1 at every stage of life.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

bobfather posted:

It's just basic market segmentation.

Which is not really a thing Fuji does, unlike Canon or Nikon. Mostly because Fuji knows it's camera division is never going to be a profit leader so they treat it as a feather in their cap and a test bed for new tech they can sell in their actual bread and butter divisions.

I mean if they are willing to update the xpro2 to 4k with firmware (and give it all of the XT2's cool afc features) then I doubt it's really an issue of the market, they probably just don't have anyone working on that feature until enough customers actually ask for it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

It’s out for Mac along with FW updates to support it:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/application/

The Windows version is coming in February 2018.

Edit: oh drat the new X-T2 firmware sounds great

quote:

1. New AF tracking algorithm for moving subject
Thanks to the newly developed image recognition algorithm, the update enhances AF-C to track moving subjects twice as fast as previous firmware. In addition, the update also enhances tracking to be able to capture up to 50% smaller moving subjects than before.
2. Support "FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO" for Macintosh
Once connecting a camera to a computer via USB cable, the "FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO" enables users to convert RAW files with X Processor Pro. The fast batch processing will also be available. The "FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO" can be downloaded from the FUJIFILM website for free.

*"FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO Ver.1.0 Installer for Macintosh" can be downloaded from the URL below.
FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO Ver.1.0 Installer for Macintosh
3. Improve radio flash controller usability
 The upgrade allows users to shoot with compatible third party studio flash in high speed sync. or TTL mode via their radio controllers.
4. Support for backup/restore of camera settings via "FUJIFILM X Acquire"
Once connecting a camera to a computer via USB cable, the "FUJIFILM X Acquire" allows users to backup/restore camera settings to/from a file. Copying all camera settings from one camera to another is available.

*"FUJIFILM X Acquire Ver.1.7 Installer for Windows/Macintosh" can be downloaded from the URL below.
FUJIFILM X Acquire Ver.1.7 Installer for Windows/Macintosh
5. Support for "Instax SHARE SP-3"
 Additionally," Instax SHERE SP-3" has become compatible with this camera.
6. RGB histogram display and highlight warning
 If you press the function button allocated to the histogram, RGB histogram and highlight warning (High brightness portion will blink.) are displayed.
7. The phenomenon is fixed that exposure compensation is not correctly reflected to brightness of live view on LCD and EVF when ISO setting is "AUTO", exposure compensation is "C" and it is changed by the command dial.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 30, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

8th-snype posted:

Which is not really a thing Fuji does, unlike Canon or Nikon. Mostly because Fuji knows it's camera division is never going to be a profit leader so they treat it as a feather in their cap and a test bed for new tech they can sell in their actual bread and butter divisions.

I mean if they are willing to update the xpro2 to 4k with firmware (and give it all of the XT2's cool afc features) then I doubt it's really an issue of the market, they probably just don't have anyone working on that feature until enough customers actually ask for it.

The Fuji of today is very different than the Fuji of 5 years ago. The X-Pro 1 got software updates for 4 years, the same amount of time that passed before the X-Pro 2 came out.

Then in 2016 Fuji released the X-Pro 2 and X-T2, and then followed those up with the X-T20 and the X-E3. Hardware-wise these are all basically 4 identical cameras, released over ~18 months with differences here and there. I'm sure they could all have software parity if Fuji wanted, so since they don't have software parity wouldn't that indicate they're taking a page from the big players and segmenting? The price points certainly seem to indicate they are.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobfather posted:

The Fuji of today is very different than the Fuji of 5 years ago. The X-Pro 1 got software updates for 4 years, the same amount of time that passed before the X-Pro 2 came out.

Then in 2016 Fuji released the X-Pro 2 and X-T2, and then followed those up with the X-T20 and the X-E3. Hardware-wise these are all basically 4 identical cameras, released over ~18 months with differences here and there. I'm sure they could all have software parity if Fuji wanted, so since they don't have software parity wouldn't that indicate they're taking a page from the big players and segmenting? The price points certainly seem to indicate they are.

I don't think Fuji has really changed all that much, the "flagship" cameras get updates and then the prosumer lines follow at a later date. Just because the XE3 and XT20 have similar hardware doesn't mean they will immediately get the love that the top of the line models will. The XE2 was brought up to firmware parity with the XT1 very late in it's lifecycle but it was upgraded. I look at basically as Fuji doesn't have to provide market segmentation in the way canon and nikon do because their hardware lines are very clear cut featurewise and they basically don't care about selling new bodies as frequently as the others. They have firmly stated many times they plan to have very long hardware refreshes on purpose, because Fuji is like the one company out there that actually understands it's customer base.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

8th-snype posted:

I don't think Fuji has really changed all that much, the "flagship" cameras get updates and then the prosumer lines follow at a later date. Just because the XE3 and XT20 have similar hardware doesn't mean they will immediately get the love that the top of the line models will. The XE2 was brought up to firmware parity with the XT1 very late in it's lifecycle but it was upgraded. I look at basically as Fuji doesn't have to provide market segmentation in the way canon and nikon do because their hardware lines are very clear cut featurewise and they basically don't care about selling new bodies as frequently as the others. They have firmly stated many times they plan to have very long hardware refreshes on purpose, because Fuji is like the one company out there that actually understands it's customer base.

Which is why I left Sony who is the exact opposite. They haven’t been as bad as they were in the past about releasing bodies though. I do see a small change from Fuji though - the X-T20 is a good example since it was released close to the X-T2 and in some ways it is a very similar camera at a much lower cost. At least on paper - when I finally tried one in stores it doesn’t feel as high end as the X-T2 and the viewfinder is enough to make me glad that I did get the X-T2 early rather than try to decide between the 2 and 20 on paper. But still, I wish they could have implemented Bluetooth and the touchscreen into the X-T2 and then segmented our those features to the lower tier models rather than have their flagship crop sensor body seemingly missing features.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fuji has never made up their mind how to do the entry level lineup or even want to, now that smartphones have completely taken over the low end.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Speaking of, seems like the Fuji firmware updates have dropped. Predictably, the X-T2 got the AF-C overhaul that the X-E3 already has, and the X-T20 got the option to use the touch screen as a pseudo-joystick to change the AF point while your eye is at the EVF.

No word on whether the X-T20 will get the AF-C improvements also, but it seems kind of silly for them not to bring it eventually. One can hope! Good thing I almost never use AF-C, and when I do I generally have pretty fine results on my X-T20.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up buying the 56mm f/1.2, thanks everyone. I'm super excited for it to arrive, so excited that I'm going to use an exclamation point right now!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Are the AF-C improvements just there by default or do they apply to some new setting?

Also X Raw Studio is pretty sweet. Being able to copy and paste conversion profiles in bulk is great and the UI isn't totally garbage.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Can someone do a more thorough first impression on the X Raw Studio suite? I’m pretty excited about it and crossing my fingers that the UI will not suck rear end.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It's pretty limited in what it can do but it seems to do what it does well.

It looks like the RAW files need to be on your computer already, or accessible in a SD card reader - it can't read the photos in the camera's SD slot. You can view the standard stuff like histogram and exposure settings on the left, view thumbnails across the bottom, and change the profile settings on the right (film simulation, highlights, shadows, sharpening, noise reduction, EV compensation, etc). Then you press the process button and it saves a JPG to the source directory.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone have a sense of how it performs on older Macs? I have switched over to Windows for my laptop and desktop but have a 2012 MacBook Pro I could dig out and I’d like to not wait until 2018 to try it, but if it is slow and frustrating I will. I upgraded the ram and put in an SSD but otherwise I am concerned about the performance. (I would just try it but I really do have to dig out the laptop since it’s in storage)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How good/bad is the video quality of the Fuji X70. I am thinking of getting a baby cam+ in-the-commute-bag-camera. Should I just get a gopro 6 or an used G6/G7 or I can make do with a X70? X70 has a flip screen.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What are you supposed to use to clean the Fuji sensor? I’m using the same pec pads/eclipse that I did on Nikons, but the sensor looks like it has an orange peel looking ripple in the middle. But the pictures come out fine. Am I freaking out over nothing or is this *bad*

I’m going to take everything to Fuji after Xmas for tuneups anyway so it’s not too bad I guess.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The X-T20 touchscreen-as-joystick firmware works really well. I'm hopeful Fuji will eventually add the other improvements the X-T2 got yesterday to the X-T20 also!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

red19fire posted:

What are you supposed to use to clean the Fuji sensor? I’m using the same pec pads/eclipse that I did on Nikons, but the sensor looks like it has an orange peel looking ripple in the middle. But the pictures come out fine. Am I freaking out over nothing or is this *bad*

I’m going to take everything to Fuji after Xmas for tuneups anyway so it’s not too bad I guess.

I don't use anything special to wet clean my fujis. I used to use eclipse and pec pads but the last time I did it I just used an off the shelf swab and solution kit from my local photo store.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Just pulled the trigger on a black X100f with black leather case. Excited to finally see what face and eye AF tracking is all about!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a black X100f with black leather case. Excited to finally see what face and eye AF tracking is all about!

It’s good - eye detect af in particular was really impressive to me since I was coming from the x-100 to the x-t1 to the x-t2 and the improvements going to the last body were just so pronounced.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

rio posted:

It’s good - eye detect af in particular was really impressive to me since I was coming from the x-100 to the x-t1 to the x-t2 and the improvements going to the last body were just so pronounced.

lol, I'm going from X100 original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

lol, I'm going from X100 original.

You will see a huge difference obviously haha. I still wish I had my old x100 though. There was something about that camera that was just so good and even the later x-trans versions couldn’t quite capture what it had going on. That have their own strengths of course but I wish it hadn’t sold it. And n top of that, that was my gateway into Fuji and the camera that got me to stop shooting canon and sell all of that gear to switch 100%.