Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

sirbeefalot posted:

What exactly do you mean?

I guess what I mean is, it used to be really awesome and now all I hear is people complaining about it. I was on a nexus 4 and then 5 last time I used it.

spincube posted:

Not to speak for him, but I can't find words to describe how stupid it is to hide the 'Now' part behind that what? sprinkler icon thing? at the top-right-hand corner of the screen.

I know why they did it - 'here's your information, but first we want you to view a selection of articles curated by our ad partners that we think you'd be interested in' - but I still think it perfectly represents Google's attitude to development and to their users.

Yea, I guess what I'm asking is if there is no way to solve this problem? I don't want to use google now (or whatever it's called) if it's going to just serve me ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google Home mini finally came, it's way louder than I expected. Pretty awesome, I want another one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google Home mini finally came, it's way louder than I expected. Pretty awesome, I want another one.

You probably should clean off first though

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My panda XL2 came in yesterday. Been getting some solid use in. The blue tint looks really bad out the box since the Google setup screens are literally pure white with nearly nothing else on the screen. Once I got into regular use, it's not really noticeable due to very little flat white on the screen to amplify the issue.
The screen is beautiful and portrait mode is some voodoo magic that made a candid shot of my wife into something I'd probably frame.
The body has a nicer feel than my pixel 1, less slippery for sure.

Overall, I love the phone and have no regrets. My cloth Google case should be in next week which will make me less paranoid about carrying it around.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Welp, just ordered a Sony Xperia xz1, first time I've spent so much on a phone (even if it was 30% off) :ohdear: Will see how it compares to my cheapo Moto G3 from 2 years ago :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

couldcareless posted:

My panda XL2 came in yesterday. Been getting some solid use in. The blue tint looks really bad out the box since the Google setup screens are literally pure white with nearly nothing else on the screen. Once I got into regular use, it's not really noticeable due to very little flat white on the screen to amplify the issue.
The screen is beautiful and portrait mode is some voodoo magic that made a candid shot of my wife into something I'd probably frame.
The body has a nicer feel than my pixel 1, less slippery for sure.

Mine should be coming Tuesday or Wednesday, we'll have to compare blue tints! I ordered a straight black one, kind of wishing now I had got the Panda, but it'll be going in a case immediately.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Pixel 2 portrait mode really is some kind of magic. On the selfie cam especially.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Stevie Lee posted:

a similar thing happened to me on both my HTC One M7 and Evo 3D...it was definitely a damaged USB port in both those cases.

Guess that makes sense. It more or less charges normally when the phone is completely off though, which is why I initially thought it had to be some software bug.

Some googling only turned up a few posts of a similar problem with the pixel 1. Did HTC make the first pixel too? Seems rare at least

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Pixel 2 portrait mode really is some kind of magic. On the selfie cam especially.

I look forward to trying this out when I one day upgrade my Pixel XL because people are already usually impressed with the portrait mode on my current phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I look forward to trying this out when I one day upgrade my Pixel XL because people are already usually impressed with the portrait mode on my current phone.

I don't wanna post a selfie on SA but for real, it's absolutely astounding. I had to enable the setting for lower detail too because no one wants to see every single pore.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't wanna post a selfie on SA but for real, it's absolutely astounding. I had to enable the setting for lower detail too because no one wants to see every single pore.

Show me your pores. I don't need the whole face, just a few pores

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What's a decent, simple 200-or-less phone for my father in law's first ever smartphone?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

What's a decent, simple 200-or-less phone for my father in law's first ever smartphone?

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Generation-Lockscreen/dp/B01NBRN2YI?th=1

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
ugh, what a waste of time. The stupid calendar app still can't loving figure out that a loving comma is part of a phone number.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

ugh, what a waste of time. The stupid calendar app still can't loving figure out that a loving comma is part of a phone number.

Where do you live where commas are a part of a phone number

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

They insert a pause

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

https://lifehacker.com/5643728/insert-commas-into-saved-contact-to-force-extension-friendly-pauses

Good for autodialing extensions

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Never heard of that before, crazy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Setting up all my apps and going through downloads and updates is a wearying process, even with how much it's been streamlined by how much automation I've allowed Google to handle. I got a Moto E4 as a stopgap with tentative plans to get a Pixel 2 but doing all this a second time seems... eh. Maybe I'll just stick with this if the experience isn't the worst

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where do you live where phones are used for calls?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I use a comma to auto dial the extension for my work conference call number, very handy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is actually blowing my mind, no idea the comma was possible/did that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah that's actually pretty drat cool and will come in handy for me at work.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Yea, I guess for me this is just something that's normally worked for years and years (outside of android), all of my coworkers create conference bridges that they fill into the location field on a invite.

It'll look like this: Location: 1-800-555-5555,,1,12345#

The first two pauses are to wait for the bridge to ask for confirmation you want to enter the call, then the second number is the password. The # is to confirm you want to enter that password (in a round about way.)

I've had to pull over on the side of the road, write down the stupid password and then dial the number, punch the keys in, and then start driving again. It's an absolute pain in the loving rear end to have to do this.

Having to use a different app only for these bridges is asinine. All I see is it being another huge PITA figuring out which notification I need to use depending on if there's a invite I need to click on, vs one that comes with a conference bridge.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

alnilam posted:

You really should spend the extra $40 and get the 64GB version though. I has 4GB of RAM versus 2GB and that makes a huge difference.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is there any good case for the small pixel 2 with a usb-c port cover?

I get small debris in my pockets pretty often.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLpUq__iQqw

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

resistentialism posted:

Is there any good case for the small pixel 2 with a usb-c port cover?

I get small debris in my pockets pretty often.

OtterBox Defender?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzpo80fjDA

OtterBox DEFENDER SERIES Case for Google Pixel 2 - Retail Packaging - BLACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7RY0HU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8n4iAbV3PPR31

Complaints seem to be centered around the lack of built in screen protector and lovely holster (which you might not care about). It's also quite bulky (like most multi-piece cases are).

Edit: I missed in the video, I guess it does have a screen overlay.

Edit2: fixed link

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 3, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My full sized Google Home actually came today, and drat the sound quality is really good. Now I'll move the Mini to my bedroom. Google's strategies worked, stupid free Mini!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

OtterBox Defender?

Ya, looks like that's about it.

Weird that ya can't find one on something a little less substantial.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

resistentialism posted:

Ya, looks like that's about it.

Weird that ya can't find one on something a little less substantial.

why not just get some of these and use a regular case

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So I have an original Pixel, and just a few days ago, Google Inbox has stopped automatically receiving new emails and providing notifications to me. The phone basically acts like I don't have email, but then if I open Inbox up and manually refresh it, voila, loads of emails show up.

Things I have tried, based on googling the problem and reading google's own tech support group threads:

-Turning notifications on and off from app settings
-Turning off "high priority" notifications only
-Turning Gmail app notifications on and off
-Rebooting phone multiple times
-Clearing app data and cache
-Reinstalling Inbox

I can't think of anything else to try other than a factory reset. Or maybe deleting Inbox and going back to Gmail might work. Other than this bizarre issue the phone has been great.

Anyone have other ideas to try before resetting it?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tyro posted:

So I have an original Pixel, and just a few days ago, Google Inbox has stopped automatically receiving new emails and providing notifications to me. The phone basically acts like I don't have email, but then if I open Inbox up and manually refresh it, voila, loads of emails show up.

Things I have tried, based on googling the problem and reading google's own tech support group threads:

-Reinstalling Inbox

I can't think of anything else to try other than a factory reset. Or maybe deleting Inbox and going back to Gmail might work. Other than this bizarre issue the phone has been great.

Which apps did you clear cache for? If the answer is only the Inbox app, you may need to clear for others such as Gmail and Google Play Services.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tyro posted:

-Reinstalling Inbox

You seem to be working on the assumption that notifications aren't working but what it sounds like is that Inbox isn't syncing until you open it. If you turn on GMail notifications do you get those? (In other words, does GMail sync in the background. If it does, then it's the Inbox app and if it doesn't it's a sync problem.)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions.

Rastor - Correct I only thought to clear the Inbox app - will do the others and see if that makes a difference.

LastInLine - Good point on the assumptions. You are correct that it is not just notifications, Inbox is not synching. The Gmail app is (for now) synching correctly - I deleted the Inbox app and set up the old Gmail app as a temporary workaround. It is receiving emails and giving me notifications.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tyro posted:

-Reinstalling Inbox

I had the very same issue on my Nexus 5x and found multiple people on the world wide web with to same. None of the listed solutions ever worked for me so i ended up just going back to gmail :(

Sorry for the depressing message of failure, I'm sure it can be fixed somehow but it might end up being a reset.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Looks like Rastor's suggestion of clearing the cache for Gmail and Google Play Services may have done the trick. I'll report back if it starts to act squirrelly again. Thanks for the help!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My Nexus 5X abruptly died and I would like something similarly capable. I would really like it today if possible, so is there any brick & mortar chain that sells decent unlocked phones? Or would I be stupid not to order off Amazon and wait a couple days?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My Nexus 5X abruptly died and I would like something similarly capable. I would really like it today if possible, so is there any brick & mortar chain that sells decent unlocked phones? Or would I be stupid not to order off Amazon and wait a couple days?

I had the same thing about a week so, and the suggestions itt were:

alnilam posted:

By "smaller" I mean ideally not much bigger than the Nexus 5x.

Budget: I'd like to keep it around $400 if possible

So far suggestions are:
Essential phone - I can't find the $399 deal that was mentioned :( it might be over
Original Pixel - can find on ebay for $400
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact - retails for $500ish

Really bummed that my phone decided to break not only right before a trip, but also after cyber monday :mad:

e: all of the suggestions so far are indeed equal or smaller than the Nexus 5x, thanks :)

Kinda leaning towards the Pixel, but I really like the fact that the Xperia is even smaller...

Ended up getting a used pixel from someone itt :c00l:

You can get plenty of phones at best buy or hell even target, but be depending on the phone you might spend probably $1-200 more compared to hunting around online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

alnilam posted:

I had the same thing about a week so, and the suggestions itt were:

Ended up getting a used pixel from someone itt :c00l:

You can get plenty of phones at best buy or hell even target, but be depending on the phone you might spend probably $1-200 more compared to hunting around online

You liking the Pixel so far? I have had pretty good results with the Nexus phones so I was thinking of going that way. Also the Moto G 5th gen is not in stock at Amazon right now, so I'm going to have to go with something quicker. Might hit up a used shop around here.