Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

"has already been reported recently"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

"has already been reported recently"

Thanks! How do you see that?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I reported his post.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiozLs5wDcg
Holy moly this lootbox thing has skyrocketed Jim's content output.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I reported his post.

Ah, thanks dude :)
Kyle!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKo9yYGUu9g&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=C1FI0XXRxYBq_fVj-6

Edit: I posted this as soon as I saw it was up and now that I've watched the video I just have to say that Kyle has become such a great content creator. He always had the the writing and voice down but I love how interesting his visual stuff has become. I'm happy to see my favorite "old" content creators really use the medium to it's fullest. It kind of makes Doug's stuff even sadder because he tries to integrate the same things but he just doesn't get why and how it works and doesn't have the knowledge to give any real insight. I truly wish better for him but I just don't think it's in him.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 2, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiozLs5wDcg
Holy moly this lootbox thing has skyrocketed Jim's content output.

I knew this for a while, but dammit HiRez Studios. I wasn’t even able to play this game for 6 months without lootboxes ruining it. Quickplay is ruined by level 1 card new players against a maxed out 25 point deck players. Competitive mode is also borked by the fact that people can’t use Casual as practice and chances are Test map mode is going ti be exactly like Quickplay. Now we have a comp mode that people would have to use because everyone’s cards are set to level 3, and then the newbies get steamrolled and harassed when it turns out the tryhards aren’t very keen with playing with people who know next to nothing about the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I reported his post.

He's been banned now. Unfortunately, the mod for RGD has kind of gone MIA since late October, so the inmates have had free reign of this shithouse. The admins are working on a solution though.

Stand by.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

nine-gear crow posted:

He's been banned now. Unfortunately, the mod for RGD has kind of gone MIA since late October, so the inmates have had free reign of this shithouse. The admins are working on a solution though.

Stand by.

i look forward to our new overlord

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

nine-gear crow posted:

Stand by.

I think we all know that Dan should be the new man in charge

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Philosophy Tube has released his video on the The Philosophy of Antifa and...holy crap it's an hour long :stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwS_FMZ3nQ

Testekill posted:

Why would you condemn someone like Dan to a circle of hell that deep?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Watching the H3H3 JonTron video now, and what I like about Ethan is that he's really good at getting people to open up a little. Like his comedy stuff is pretty silly, but he has a way of getting people to loosen up in a way that's really revealing. There's one video where he talks about Louis Theroux and how he's really inspired by his interviewing skills. He grills Jon pretty hard about the whole incident. Of course the comments are full of people going :byodood: HOW DARE ETHAN HOLD JON ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS AND WORDS! BETRAYAL! because of course there are people willing to defend someone online who spouted far right stuff.

Ethan is getting pretty good at interviewing - he's still got room for improvement, but the podcast has been really good for his and Hila's content.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OldMemes posted:

Watching the H3H3 JonTron video now, and what I like about Ethan is that he's really good at getting people to open up a little. Like his comedy stuff is pretty silly, but he has a way of getting people to loosen up in a way that's really revealing. There's one video where he talks about Louis Theroux and how he's really inspired by his interviewing skills. He grills Jon pretty hard about the whole incident. Of course the comments are full of people going :byodood: HOW DARE ETHAN HOLD JON ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS AND WORDS! BETRAYAL! because of course there are people willing to defend someone online who spouted far right stuff.

Ethan is getting pretty good at interviewing - he's still got room for improvement, but the podcast has been really good for his and Hila's content.

When in the video does it get to the meat? I tried following it but I couldn't get through an hour of buttering up just for those juicy morsels of accountability.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What is the deal with H3H3? It seems like the opinion of him here bounces back and forth.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

BigRed0427 posted:

What is the deal with H3H3? It seems like the opinion of him here bounces back and forth.

Pretty good, with good skits, but Ethan seems to be slightly libertarian leaning on some topics, and he's friends with some controversial people like Pewdepie and JonTron. He makes fun of outrage culture, which has caused some of the Alt-right to become fans, even though he makes fun of left and right wing outrage.

Ethan and Hila are cool, but some of the fans and people they work with can be a bit toxic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

H3H3 is excellent.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ethan and Hila are just pretty chill at the end of the day really, all their stuff is pretty much humour first in the end without ever having much of an agenda and it helps that they're legit funny. I kinda put them in the same group as Dunkey, Idubbbz and FilthyFrank/Joji (just as well as I think they've all done things with each other at some point).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

H3H3 is good until he isn't because he decides he needs to defend other youtubers from the evil onslaught of journalism

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

H3H3 is good until he isn't because he decides he needs to defend other youtubers from the evil onslaught of journalism

Yea 90% of the time H3H3 is funny but the 10% of the time Ethan feels he needs to do some Real Talk are fuckin garbo.

Kim Justice posted:

Ethan and Hila are just pretty chill at the end of the day really, all their stuff is pretty much humour first in the end without ever having much of an agenda and it helps that they're legit funny. I kinda put them in the same group as Dunkey, Idubbbz and FilthyFrank/Joji (just as well as I think they've all done things with each other at some point).

I think this is the right read though. At the end of they they seem like decent folks who are mainly comedy focused and do that well, they just have a few dumbass views that aren't really that harmful or dangerous so it's hard to care compared to others. I wish they'd not be so soft on the friends they have like JonTron but I get that they've known him long before he started going full ethnonationalist and it's really hard to just tell a friend to gently caress off even when they're gross. For what it's worth despite me not liking the vid much Ethan and Hila did make it clear his poo poo was not cool to them, I'm just kinda eye-rolling at them instantly transitioning from 'hey you said hosed up poo poo about how immigrants pollute the genepool and black people are inherently criminal and that's super not ok' to 'oh well you're sorry now so that's cool we're still buds'.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Ah, thanks dude :)
Kyle!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKo9yYGUu9g&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=C1FI0XXRxYBq_fVj-6

Edit: I posted this as soon as I saw it was up and now that I've watched the video I just have to say that Kyle has become such a great content creator. He always had the the writing and voice down but I love how interesting his visual stuff has become. I'm happy to see my favorite "old" content creators really use the medium to it's fullest. It kind of makes Doug's stuff even sadder because he tries to integrate the same things but he just doesn't get why and how it works and doesn't have the knowledge to give any real insight. I truly wish better for him but I just don't think it's in him.

Thank you very much! I was proud of this one and I'm glad it seems to be going over well.

By the way I hope everyone in the thread has been watching Shannon Strucci. Her stuff has become excellent and essential viewing, imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv47dL-qbXk

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol they just told me to post better.

Spoiler: he didn't post better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like we should be like Shaun and at least watch videos of people we disagree with rather than dismissing them out of hand. In general, I mean, not wrt any particular video.

Kyle that video on voiceover is really good btw

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Testekill posted:

Please don't, I like being able to disappear for months.

Edit: wait, mods already do that anyway 🤔🤔🤔

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

:golfclap:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Pirate Jenny posted:

if you were a hot dog and you were starving would you eat yourself?

I know I would.

That depends is Hotdog!Lorne a sandwich or not?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lornekates posted:

hey now, he got probated in LP, because the mod wanted to make it clear that it wasn't gonna be a safe harbor for his awful posting :v:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Alaois posted:

hey now, he got probated in LP, because the mod wanted to make it clear that it wasn't gonna be a safe harbor for his awful posting :v:

It's a week without BOTL, we gotta take what we can get

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Decided to check out Twenty Sided after not reading it for a while, and Shamus Young put up a post about how the Escapist is in heavy decline, and that he was planning to rewrite/redo some of the articles he wrote for his column on the site. However, he also gave some insight and speculation on some of the behind-the-scenes drama.

(For reference, the quotes below are taken from his replies to people in the comments of the article.)

Shamus Young posted:

The following information is mostly second-hand, but here is what I heard:

They INTENDED to do a “balanced” thing. The other big sites were either silent or openly anti-GG right out of the gate, so the Esc thought they’d give GG supporters a chance to speak for themselves rather than having their positions filtered through their critics. I thought it was an admirable idea.

So they ran a block of short op-eds from pro-GG or just GG-curious folks from the industry – mostly developers. The intent was to follow this up with another block of anti-GG stuff. At the same time, there was a LOT of heat as the flamewar spilled over to the owners. I don’t know what form this “spilling over” took, who was contacted, who contacted them, what side they were on, or what they said, but it spooked the owners at Themis media. So they immediately handed down the decree: No more talking about GG. Period.

The editorial staff pleaded with them. “We just ran pro-GG stuff. We have a block of anti-GG ready (or in development) as a counterpoint. Please let us run that stuff and then we can close down the topic.” The owners refused, and that was the end of it.

The only reason I was privy to any of this is that the staff also reached out to the “talent”. Guys like Yahtzee, MovieBob, Robert Rath, and myself. We all wrote little op-eds. Those were all eventually canceled as well, but I got rumors of the behind-the-scenes drama during the back-and-forth email thread. This was actually a multi-stage process. We all weighed in. Some of us took a strong stance, some of us encouraged empathy, and so on. Then their publication was delayed while some debate went on inside the company. Then we were asked to chop our opinions down to short little 500 word bits. Then after a few more days they were canned completely.

Again, my account above involved a lot of reading between the lines. I’m sure I’m getting some details wrong or over-simplifying some things.

All of this is to say: The editorial staff did not INTEND to take a pro-GG stance, and the fact that it seemed like they did made some of them VERY unhappy.

If you’re curious, my position was pretty gutless. I didn’t see any value in addressing any of the central points of the debate while tempers were so hot. There was nothing to be gained. So I just wrote a bit denouncing harassment and encouraging people to have empathy for each other.

Shamus Young posted:

Maybe Viktor is making a strawman argument, but maybe Viktor is simply going by the information they saw.

GG was a lot like Occupy Wall St. Suddenly this giant movement coalesced and took everyone by surprise. But when you went and talked to them, they weren’t really all marching for the same reasons. Student loans. Income inequality. The environment. Corruption. Minimum wage. It was all over the place.

No leader. No *defining* principles. Just a big angry crowd as the result of a long period of silent frustration.

Which means everyone’s disparate views on GG were correct based on their own experience. If you thought it was all about harassing women, you could find proof of that. If you thought it was about corruption, you could find proof of that. It depends on what circles you traveled in and who you trusted.

Heads up: I image this thread is headed for the same ditch all GG threads gravitate towards, but I’m kind of curious what people’s views are these days. I’m going to let this slide for a couple more hours and then close it when I need to go to bed, assuming it doesn’t turn ugly before that point.

Shamus Young posted:

On Twitter: Yes, I had a long article on the mechanics of Twitter and how they purify toxicity and dilute information. I had trouble writing it in such a way that it wouldn’t just re-open the GG debate, which I didn’t want to do.

I believe Twitter is a big reason everyone has such wildly different views regarding what GG was “really about”.

Shamus Young posted:

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread. I’m really grateful that you were able to share you viewpoints without turning on each other. I wanted to see what people were thinking these days, and I got that.

In retrospect, it might have been better to say “post what you think, but don’t bother arguing with anyone else.” Ah well. It worked out.

I’m going to close this thread now. I think we’ve skimmed all the gems and from here it’s just going to be a repeat of old arguments.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
make me mod I'll probate the gently caress outta botl whenever I feel like it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/937202442835390466

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit; I thought it was related to the YouTube award thingy.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Their best moment was wrecking the "filmic dissonance" guy

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

KKall posted:

Thank you very much! I was proud of this one and I'm glad it seems to be going over well.

By the way I hope everyone in the thread has been watching Shannon Strucci. Her stuff has become excellent and essential viewing, imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv47dL-qbXk

This was super interesting, thank you for sharing!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

cat doter posted:

make me mod I'll probate the gently caress outta botl whenever I feel like it

If we can vote for mods then you get mine

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Every time a quite popular youtube series just.... ends, I feel bad for how hard it must be to keep these things going.

Like, Mike the PBS idea channel guy could have so easily used the closing of that as a springboard into his own youtube content. If he had put up a patreon the day idea channel ended couldn't he have pulled in a sizeable amount of cash and just done... more or less whatever he wanted?

Now when it's folks like Tony and Taylor that have a related and full time career I guess it makes more sense, but you still have an audience of thousands who will listen to essentially anything you want to do whenever.

I don't know, is the work and emotional energy required to switch gears on a channel just so overwhelming it's usually a better mental health choice to drop it entirely than to try and refocus it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Paladin posted:

Every time a quite popular youtube series just.... ends, I feel bad for how hard it must be to keep these things going.

Like, Mike the PBS idea channel guy could have so easily used the closing of that as a springboard into his own youtube content. If he had put up a patreon the day idea channel ended couldn't he have pulled in a sizeable amount of cash and just done... more or less whatever he wanted?

Now when it's folks like Tony and Taylor that have a related and full time career I guess it makes more sense, but you still have an audience of thousands who will listen to essentially anything you want to do whenever.

I don't know, is the work and emotional energy required to switch gears on a channel just so overwhelming it's usually a better mental health choice to drop it entirely than to try and refocus it?

It seems like doing youtube takes an incredible toll on people, yeah. The retsupre guys did a video a while ago explaining why people like pewdiepie seem to melt down, and it seems like a pretty good explanation: you’re basically producing a ton of content in isolation with nobody there to give you perspective aside from anonymous fans on the internet with dangerous and stupid ideas, plus it’s unlikely you’ll ever get much security in terms of career or income and there’s a constant demand to do more stuff better for longer. Factor in the likelihood of stalkers and lovely business practices ala channel awesome, and also the fact that most producers started doing videos as a hobby or for fun. And look at how Contrapoints was getting dragged just days ago.

Yeah, I can see burnout being a really common thing and am surprised so many talented youtube people stick at it for so long. I guess we’re still in the first generation of internet video professionals, but I kind of expected a lot more to just drop off the face of the internet or transition into some other related line of work like the Homestar Runner guys did.

Not that I’m complaining—I’m really happy to see so many people still producing and growing as diy thinkers and voices, and honestly the youtube review/video essay scene is becoming an increasingly important front in the internet culture war, so I hope everyone stays connected and organized and really gets that superteam going.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That reminds me of a Mr Regular video essay from a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MUhQTpyyZ4

For something more lighthearted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pedUkutDNwg

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

DOes anyone else still listen to Nash and Tara on "What The gently caress Is Wrong With You?" I think their both still funny. Plus Tara's husband has become a unoffical third member of the show.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

Philosophy Tube has released his video on the The Philosophy of Antifa and...holy crap it's an hour long :stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwS_FMZ3nQ

I'm slowly working through it. This video about the new Anti-fascist handbooks that's around 7 minutes is a goodish introduction to the longer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVCb0cQfh8

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

I'm slowly working through it. This video about the new Anti-fascist handbooks that's around 7 minutes is a goodish introduction to the longer video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVCb0cQfh8

I actually have it but haven't dug into it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Today I learnt that the Comic-book Movie Megathread over in Cinema Discusso really hates Dan apparently.

• Locked thread