Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

idgi what kind of bug causes a crash on a seemingly innocuous arbitrary date like dec 2?

thats the troubling thing

like if it was a leap ye at or something then it might hit a corner case where it hosed up due to an oversight like the zine a few years ago

but 12/2 your code is poo poo if it's failing on 12/2

the iphone is gailing worse than the zune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i wonder if its the massive hiring spree apple has been on for the last 4 yrs and chasing out old pros who built all this poo poo, maybe there are less and less people left who actually know where all the bodies are buried in ios

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

also i cannot wait 4 apple to ruin the workflow app they bought

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
pretend I wrote a huge rant about apple development cycle and release schedule here

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

exploded mummy posted:

thats the troubling thing

like if it was a leap ye at or something then it might hit a corner case where it hosed up due to an oversight like the zine a few years ago

but 12/2 your code is poo poo if it's failing on 12/2

the iphone is gailing worse than the zune

this company made a watch lol

but seriously why December 2 2017? What’s weird about this date?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

btw I got an iPhone X yesterday, downgraded from an iPhone 8

quick impressions : iPhone 8 still feels superior and I’ll miss it

Face ID loving sucks about as much as I expected it to, Touch ID was much superior for me. for starters, it’s slower, and the whole “have to look at it for security purposes” and the myriad of situations where you can just unlock without having to face your phone... and when it doesn’t work it’s twice as annoying because you have to swipe up, I don’t know.
Face ID sucks a lot right now, but hopefully it will get faster next version. it’s just too slow. been training it to recognize my face in more angles but ehh still inferior

they made control center useless, why the gently caress do I need 2 hands to bring it up. I think something’s wrong here, I don’t like this at all. when playing sound/music it’s a loving 3 step process to change volume, or to open the sound app. it’s ridiculous, clear step backward

the notch is not that annoying after a while but it’s still fuxking dumb, and there’s no battery percentage indicator

in short, if you have an iPhone 8 enjoy it, no need to upgrade

big screen is nice but Face ID is not good right meow

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol I updated my phone and it was aggressively nagging me to set up apple pay. took me a few seconds to figure out how to remove the red dot from the control panel that was just trying to get me to do it.

apple pay is a failure and they should just give it up.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Face ID loving sucks about as much as I expected it to, Touch ID was much superior for me. for starters, it’s slower, and the whole “have to look at it for security purposes” and the myriad of situations where you can just unlock without having to face your phone... and when it doesn’t work it’s twice as annoying because you have to swipe up, I don’t know.
Face ID sucks a lot right now, but hopefully it will get faster next version. it’s just too slow. been training it to recognize my face in more angles but ehh still inferior

maybe your visage is so inhuman that face id cannot reckon with the possibility that the undulating, cratered terrain presented to the camera could be the depth map of a human face

i also stumped for the iphone x, expecting face id to kinda suck

it does not suck at all. it is much faster than touchid was on a 5s. it automatically unlocks my phone just from my having moved the phone into position, seamlessly, like nothing happened.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

the notch is not that annoying after a while but it’s still fuxking dumb, and there’s no battery percentage indicator

this threw me for a loop at first. the percentage is buried in the swipe-down dialogue where you set screen brightness / rotation lock

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

lol I updated my phone and it was aggressively nagging me to set up apple pay. took me a few seconds to figure out how to remove the red dot from the control panel that was just trying to get me to do it.

apple pay works fine and has almost universal adoption. why would they give up on the most successful phone payment system outside of africa/scandinavia?

of all the weird things to hate on apple about : broken software, lousy security record, lovely financial practices. it's a target rich environment. picking on the one thing that isn't consumer hostile and actually works is... odd.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maybe your visage is so inhuman that face id cannot reckon with the possibility that the undulating, cratered terrain presented to the camera could be the depth map of a human face

i also stumped for the iphone x, expecting face id to kinda suck

it does not suck at all. it is much faster than touchid was on a 5s. it automatically unlocks my phone just from my having moved the phone into position, seamlessly, like nothing happened.

this threw me for a loop at first. the percentage is buried in the swipe-down dialogue where you set screen brightness / rotation lock

lol at that battery indicator position, I didn’t notice it

Is there a way to make Face ID unlock automatically instead of having to swipe up? it might be a bit faster than original Touch ID but iPhone 8 Touch ID is awesome fast and this is a clear regression

also yes I’m ugly what of it 🧐

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah apple pay is like the best thing they've released in the last few years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

Apple Pay is one of the best things apple has done in the last few years. I get angry when I can’t use it when paying for something.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

qirex posted:

yeah apple pay is like the best thing they've released in the last few years

yeah... it’s pretty sad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apple pay owns and hiding the battery percentage is a feature not a bug

also sorry about your tiny baby hands i you can't wipe the control center down, i guess

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

apple pay is my #1 goto for using vending machines its great

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Apple pay is amazing for the two times a year I forget my wallet I guess

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
apple pay is laser-targeted at the type of oblivious rear end in a top hat that goes everywhere with their phone in hand because they are terrified they might miss a tweet or something

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i like apple pay because i can go outside for a run like a normal human who is not a shutin nerd and buy a nice cold topo chico at the corner store on my way home without bringing my wallet.

the phone has all the music for my run so i am going to bring it anyway, my wallet would just get all sweaty and gross if i ran with it.

works for me

good jobb tim

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the point stands

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Lately I've been navigating / listening to music while driving with my phone in a fixed dashboard mount and it made me realize that if I had an iPhone X it would be utterly impossible to unlock it without taking the phone out or awkwardly contorting my body while driving

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Linguica posted:

Lately I've been navigating / listening to music while driving with my phone in a fixed dashboard mount and it made me realize that if I had an iPhone X it would be utterly impossible to unlock it without taking the phone out or awkwardly contorting my body while driving

just buy a new car with CarOS

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i like apple pay because i can go outside for a run like a normal human who is not a shutin nerd and buy a nice cold topo chico at the corner store on my way home without bringing my wallet.

the phone has all the music for my run so i am going to bring it anyway, my wallet would just get all sweaty and gross if i ran with it.

works for me

good jobb tim

No one wants to hear about your sweaty and gross phone

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Touch id, a hallmark of phones affordable by normals, and a requirement of apple pay, completely fails with sweat. I'm tired of your lies

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Endless Mike posted:

apple pay owns and hiding the battery percentage is a feature not a bug

also sorry about your tiny baby hands i you can't wipe the control center down, i guess

the control center location is bad, but the x is good, and face id is very good

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Millstone posted:

Touch id, a hallmark of phones affordable by normals, and a requirement of apple pay, completely fails with sweat. I'm tired of your lies

sweat evaporates when you are done running, so apple pay works fine, but wallet is made of leather and i don't want it all salty from evaporated sweat.

wipe your phone and headphones clean with a little windex or a wet rag when you get home and they won't accumulate a salt layer either.

then, because you don't seem to know what to do, wash your running clothes in the washing machine and take a shower.

jesus loving christ.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i am gonna upgrade from 5s to SE in near future and am exited to learn about using apple pay

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

echinopsis posted:

i am gonna upgrade from 5s to SE in near future and am exited to learn about using apple pay

check if your bank supports it. apple is very lazy about implementing anything that requires contracts with 3rd parties outside the us (itunes tv shows, the news app, public transport in maps...)

in my country none of the big banks are on it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i've still never been to or seen a single store that accepts apple pay other than a starbucks

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Phoenixan posted:

i've still never been to or seen a single store that accepts apple pay other than a starbucks

where do you live

here in the UK contactless payment via RFID in cards is a big thing now which means they all also take apple pay

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Phoenixan posted:

basically anywhere that uses square should take it

whole foods

trader joes

that's like 85% of the places i go for groceries or lunch or whatever.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
nowhere, utah

e: i did use apple pay a bit when i flew to vegas. it's cool i guess

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 2, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

rite aid and walgreens both take apple pay

hell, the little hole-in-the-wall grocery store in my little town of less than 3000 people in western colorado takes apple pay. if they can do it then there's no excuse for other stores not to.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Amex is doing a promo rn where there's a statement credit in it for you if you use Apple Pay like 3 or 5 times before 2018. I won't do it because not enough of my regular places take Amex much less Apple Pay

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i started using apple pay because cabs take it, and its impossible to see the credit card slot in the darkness of a taxi's back seat.

feels good not fumbling around to jam a tiny card into a impossible to find slot. this is not a metaphor for sex.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

off the top of my head, places i use apple pay:

giant
whole foods
best buy
rite aid
the vending machine at my gym when i forget my water bottle

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I use it for buses and trains it’s great

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

where do you live

here in the UK contactless payment via RFID in cards is a big thing now which means they all also take apple pay

no, these two are not mutual. you need to top up apple pay, and for that it has to work with your bank, which is far from every european country, and even in those that have some agreements - its far from every bank, or receiving merchant. latvia will never see apple pay despite contactless payments being fairly ubiquitous - as the testing lab for all major scandinavian banks, everything here is bleeding edge and high tech in no time, especially if its infrastructure things that don't need cooperation of local society to go down (like adoption of card payments by taxi drivers, it only works in riga because the municipal government has a stranglehold on taxi business within the city limits)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, these two are not mutual. you need to top up apple pay, and for that it has to work with your bank, which is far from every european country, and even in those that have some agreements - its far from every bank, or receiving merchant. latvia will never see apple pay despite contactless payments being fairly ubiquitous - as the testing lab for all major scandinavian banks, everything here is bleeding edge and high tech in no time, especially if its infrastructure things that don't need cooperation of local society to go down (like adoption of card payments by taxi drivers, it only works in riga because the municipal government has a stranglehold on taxi business within the city limits)

to be fair I just got here but it seems like everything that reads the cards also takes Apple Pay but then I don’t use Apple Pay so I am not sure

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you do not have to "top up" apple pay unless that's some weird latvian thing. it works like any other contactless payment. it does need to be suppored by your bank though, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

you do not have to "top up" apple pay unless that's some weird latvian thing. it works like any other contactless payment. it does need to be suppored by your bank though, yes.

top up mechanism or not, it needs bank support. doesnt matter if you add to balance, or if it draws from it like swish or paypal do.