Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

"ugh, the liberals are so corrupt"
liberal apologist: "heh, I think you mean politicians are corrupt" :smug:

"ugh, the conservatives are so corrupt"
tory apologist: "correction: politicians are corrupt" :smug:

rachel notley: *has no ethics scandals*
The NDP never get more than one consecutive term in office. If they did, they would also amass corruption scandals.

The only way to keep politics in Canada clean is to throw the bums out every four years before they get comfortable.

You've got your head up your rear end if you think the NDP are not susceptible to the exact same systemic problems that plague the CPC and LPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You can't say that, the NDP is perfect :ssh:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

even at our worst we are like 1000 times less corrupt than liberals. empirically.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 1, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

even at our worst we are like 1000 times less corrupt than liberals. empirically.
:laffo:

A murderer is still a murderer whether they've killed one or ten thousand people.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the ethics scandal that took down glen clark was allegedly worth like $10k and in the end it turned out he didn't even do anything wrong and never received $10k lmao

his successors are guilty of corruption magnitudes beyond than anything he was ever accused of but sure. all parties equally bad.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
My broad, baseless, sweeping generalization: rich people tend to be greedy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

cowofwar posted:

:laffo:

A murderer is still a murderer whether they've killed one or ten thousand people.

But if it takes on average a thousand days between the murders, they may not be murderers yet. That distinction matters.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

James Baud posted:

You care, sure, in the same abstract "a few seconds of effort makes a hundred bucks" sense that makes one sometimes but not always transfer 100k from bank to bank for a 3 month 0.7% better CDIC-insured rate promo. You don't care "criminal activity and potentially destroy son's reputation" levels.

Martha Stewart went to jail over avoiding a $45k stock loss through insider trading, sometimes rich people do stupid/greedy things for a pittance of their net worth

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

all parties equally bad.

Glad you agree.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 26, 2018

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
lol the NDP are a trash party, but so are the others

DariusLikewise posted:

The story seems like a non-starter because even if there was a tax change it wouldn't happen on the announcement date, it would happen in the next tax year after legislation was passed so there would be no rush to dump shares to avoid Capital Gains. David Akin is okay for some news but he's a pretty big Con-Stooge.

Yeah I gave my wife a larger than usual dividend this year in case I couldn't as much next year, it's normal tax planning. The optics are bad, which is generally enough to sink an MP, but I'm not sure there's as much here as anti-libs would like there to be.

mik fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 1, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not a scandal, just a poor choice. I'll still be voting NDP in the next election and I hope Notley moves on to federal politics eventually.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If Notley moves on to federal politics it would be as a Liberal, just like Bob Rae.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I love my curvy health minister.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think PT6A hates Kenney more than anyone else here, its weird.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 9, 2022

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 9, 2022

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I love my curvy health minister.

post/av combo

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

the ethics scandal that took down glen clark was allegedly worth like $10k and in the end it turned out he didn't even do anything wrong and never received $10k lmao

his successors are guilty of corruption magnitudes beyond than anything he was ever accused of but sure. all parties equally bad.

Not quite. Glen Clark was acquitted for being too stupid to realize he was being bribed.

The briber was convicted.

BC is a special sort of terrible.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan/status/936318917215002624

:thunk:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'll vote for whatever party that keeps Timmies Farmer Wraps in stock

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Just go buy Farmer's sausage and make it yourself, the stuff they use is poo poo-tier quality.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DariusLikewise posted:

Just go buy Farmer's sausage and make it yourself, the stuff they use is poo poo-tier quality.

poo poo eggs, poo poo sausauge, mushy hashbrown with a dollop of chipotle sauce complimented by a medium cup of sewage coffee provided by a Canadian institution owned by some exploitative scummy Brazilian mega conglomerate :canada:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wirth1000 posted:

poo poo eggs, poo poo sausauge, mushy hashbrown with a dollop of chipotle sauce complimented by a medium cup of sewage coffee provided by a Canadian institution owned by some exploitative scummy Brazilian mega conglomerate :canada:

You forgot the allophone TFW who handed you the wrong order first because it's hard to get a good four hours' sleep in the boss's garden shed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Don't doxx me and my morning pls

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/Conservative_BC/status/936284544235315200

:getin:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

The NDP never get more than one consecutive term in office. If they did, they would also amass corruption scandals.

Jack would have stayed pure. :angel:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Butcher posted:

Jack would have stayed pure. :angel:

Jack would have taken bribes to refinance his house.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Was it Jack or Mulcair that had like 8 mortgages on their lovely house?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

tfw even the cons call you out

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

DariusLikewise posted:

Was it Jack or Mulcair that had like 8 mortgages on their lovely house?

99% certain that was (is?) Mulcair. I think Jack lived in a house modelled after the bridge of the USS Enterprise but I'm less sure on that.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

No but he had a custom tailored TNG uniform, the kind that was so tight it aggravated Frakes' back problems

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

THC posted:

No but he had a custom tailored TNG uniform, the kind that was so tight it aggravated Frakes' back problems

The odd thing about that photo is I know the blonde woman in it.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Chicken posted:

99% certain that was (is?) Mulcair. I think Jack lived in a house modelled after the bridge of the USS Enterprise but I'm less sure on that.

Pretty sure it was a very minor scandal that Layton lived in a CO-OP with very low rent that was (ideally) supposed to go to a poor/middle class person and not a major politician.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

patonthebach posted:

Pretty sure it was a very minor scandal that Layton lived in a CO-OP with very low rent that was (ideally) supposed to go to a poor/middle class person and not a major politician.

It wasn’t subsidized housing, it was just badly priced market rent, but yeah.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's co-op housing, "market rent" units are all priced like that. There was no scandal. They volunteered to pay more after the story broke and that evidently means they're guilty of something. The co-op was intended to be a mixed income community, you don't really get that without, you know, a mix of incomes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I grew up in a coop, my parents didn’t get subsidized housing, just good rent. Not worth the small town style politics.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wirth1000 posted:

You're more right than you know. The former CEO of loblaws was on the board for restaurant brands international and made a rapid departure when the Brazilians took over because he thought they were scummy

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Oh I'm fully aware of how they operate. That's their MO worldwide buying up established brands and then driving product costs up while cutting literally everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

Oh I'm fully aware of how they operate. That's their MO worldwide buying up established brands and then driving product costs up while cutting literally everything else.

It's amazing just how many 'successful' companies seem to rely solely on the business model of buying up and then killing one golden egg laying goose after another.