Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

I implement large scale infrastructure. From openstack to openshift. I’m mostly redhat now. Previously I’d deploy anything they paid me for. Wanna run 500 servers+ in a cluster way I’m your guy.

Lol if you have fewer than 10 000 machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

Lol if you have fewer than 10 000 machines

I wrote the Rackspace deployment for their cloud. It’s over 30k physical machines now.

E: it’s also terrible. Please don’t use Rackspace cloud. It’s not openstack. It’s rackstack.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 2, 2017

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I want to run oVirt hosted engine on a single node in my home lab. Solve that one tough guy :colbert:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Nards Pan posted:

I want to run oVirt hosted engine on a single node in my home lab. Solve that one tough guy :colbert:

Ugh why? Just install esxi like a normal person

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What was the ":yaycloud:" where making changes in the portal opened tickets to get employees at the company to make the changes manually in whatever VM platform they use?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

jaegerx posted:

I implement large scale infrastructure. From openstack to openshift. I’m mostly redhat now. Previously I’d deploy anything they paid me for. Wanna run 500 servers+ in a cluster way I’m your guy.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Do you also do public cloud deployments and if so, do you favor AWS, GCP or something else?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
IT is a weird industry where outside of R&D at the chip level it is mostly an experience based field.

Security is not sexy. Pen testing is not the final step in a career, it's somewhere early on. With just a degree and some certs you will land a SOC or NOC position very low level and need to put in a few years before you can advance. If you're aggressive you can start making six figures within 5 years but you must live near or in a busy metro like NYC. Outside of that it's more difficult to find those unicorns so early on.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thanks Ants posted:

What was the ":yaycloud:" where making changes in the portal opened tickets to get employees at the company to make the changes manually in whatever VM platform they use?

IBM softlayer supposedly

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
I haven't had a single job in IT where having my BS in Computer Science mattered, outside of having a good start on programming skills that have helped me automate as much of every job as possible. And I'd argue that at this point I'd have learned that on my own anyway.

I think there's only been one that has even called the school to verify, and even that job had no educational requirement as long as you had enough relevant work experience.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

IBM softlayer supposedly
Wouldn’t surprise me. Keeping 50 people in an offshore NOC 25/7 is probably cheaper than finding and hiring the 4 people it would take to properly implement some sort of automation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

about $30,000/yr

i'd say skip this poster's opinions

I have my masters and this post gave me a chuckle. A masters is going to help you reach executive position down the line or get a job with businesses that are very education centered. It’s not going to get you a 30k raise on its own.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sepist posted:

IT is a weird industry where outside of R&D at the chip level it is mostly an experience based field.

Security is not sexy. Pen testing is not the final step in a career, it's somewhere early on. With just a degree and some certs you will land a SOC or NOC position very low level and need to put in a few years before you can advance. If you're aggressive you can start making six figures within 5 years but you must live near or in a busy metro like NYC. Outside of that it's more difficult to find those unicorns so early on.

I have no idea how our security people get through their day, all they do is type stuff and fling poo poo over the wall at us. They never do any technical work at all.

They probably sleep well on their beds of thousand dollar bills all night though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

alg posted:

I have no idea how our security people get through their day, all they do is type stuff and fling poo poo over the wall at us. They never do any technical work at all.

They probably sleep well on their beds of thousand dollar bills all night though.

Yeah, but at the same time, the security department is thinking "why are they digging in their heels so hard? We're trying to keep this company from becoming another [Target/Equifax/Imgur]." IT and InfoSec need to meet halfway when it comes to communicating and working together long before the "drop an audit grenade on everyone". Like weekly or biweekly governance meetings with participation from IT and Security stakeholders. Involve the security teams in product or infrastructure design and tech reviews. Once you can get everyone pulling the same direction, it make things far less antagonistic.

Sickening posted:

I have my masters and this post gave me a chuckle. A masters is going to help you reach executive position down the line or get a job with businesses that are very education centered. It’s not going to get you a 30k raise on its own.

Yeah, you need to decide what career trajectory you want to follow, management or specialized technologist. That will decide the kind of post Bachelor's education more than anything.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

TheFace posted:

I haven't had a single job in IT where having my BS in Computer Science mattered, outside of having a good start on programming skills that have helped me automate as much of every job as possible. And I'd argue that at this point I'd have learned that on my own anyway.

I think there's only been one that has even called the school to verify, and even that job had no educational requirement as long as you had enough relevant work experience.

Pretty much this. Discrete structures, file processing, etc all went right out the window as soon as I got my first post-uni job. It helps to be able to read some C every now and then, but I spend my days automating stuff with Python and my org treats me like I’m Prometheus coming down from Olympus with fire.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My Bachelor's Degree was in political science and I didn't even finish.

It actually helped me in a ton of ways in terms of learning new things, writing, analysis, etc.
But something tells me employers won't particular care much about a degree in an entirely unrelated field.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PCjr sidecar posted:

IBM softlayer supposedly
This was definitely true in the early days of the post-IBM acquisition platform but hasn't been for awhile now

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

skipdogg posted:

You sure you want to do this? It's not as sexy or glamorous as most people think it is. What sort of IT background do you have?

I was the only dude doing IT at a small size engineering company, fixing phones, computers, printers, internet that sort of thing for awhile.

I have no illusions that I'll be supreme hacker man or what ever I just want a comfy job that'll pay me to basically do stuff I do for fun anyway (break into my home lab and play war games) and maybe do some good?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KildarX posted:

I was the only dude doing IT at a small size engineering company, fixing phones, computers, printers, internet that sort of thing for awhile.

I have no illusions that I'll be supreme hacker man or what ever I just want a comfy job that'll pay me to basically do stuff I do for fun anyway (break into my home lab and play war games) and maybe do some good?

Even your low-key idea of IT security is more than they actually do. You're not going to break into anything and wargames will probably be super rare. It's mostly monitoring for irregularities and writing a report, and if necessary writing a recommendation for infrastructure teams to fix something that will stop the irregularities. You're just watching poo poo, writing, watching, writing, and attending meetings every minute in between so you can put your foot down when somebody suggests something stupid as gently caress.

And sleeping on thousand dollar bills.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KildarX posted:

I hope you like combing through splunk logs!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

xsf421 posted:

I hope you like combing through splunk logs!
Come on, it's not that monotonous. After you're done combing through Splunk logs, you also get to do the same thing all over again with the SumoLogics of the business unit you acquired last year.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You're just watching poo poo, writing, watching, writing, and attending meetings every minute in between so you can put your foot down when somebody suggests something stupid as gently caress.

And sleeping on thousand dollar bills.

College, except I get paid AND I get to have an opinion!?!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KildarX posted:

Whether that opinion means anything may vary.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KildarX posted:

You actually get to take opinions from the government and bring them to the engineers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TheFace posted:

The only thing I've found is that getting my degree made it faster for me to find a job. Since then it has only ever taken me a month, which is nice.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not posting where I work or what industry, but a tech related degree was required to get a job here (in infosec). It was worth it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A master’s, though? Getting a BS can open doors definitely, that’s why I want to go back for one once I can afford it / have the time and energy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A master’s, though? Getting a BS can open doors definitely, that’s why I want to go back for one once I can afford it / have the time and energy.

Oh yeah not a MS, I misread. You should do a masters only if you have a specific academic interest in the subject. And now in America probably not at all unless you want to go broke.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh yeah not a MS, I misread. You should do a masters only if you have a specific academic interest in the subject. And now in America probably not at all unless you want to go broke.

I applied for masters scholarships and didn't get enough to cover the degree, so I'm holding off. No way I'm taking on that kind of debt before buying a house. If an employer wants to pay for it, great I'll be glad to complete the program.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

WGU is affordable and definitely will help you on the affording it front if you are in the US

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want one in CS, though. I want to be a dev eventually. Theirs is more in IT.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
To each their own but I'm fairly certain a CS master's has nothing to do with dev. Bachelor's is good to prove you can finish poo poo that you start, but I think spending two years developing in a home lab and presenting your results is worth way more than the M.S. line on your resume.

Cheaper, too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

To each their own but I'm fairly certain a CS master's has nothing to do with dev. Bachelor's is good to prove you can finish poo poo that you start, but I think spending two years developing in a home lab and presenting your results is worth way more than the M.S. line on your resume.

Cheaper, too.

I have an AS, I had to drop out of university because I couldn't afford it anymore and then finished my degree at a CC.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Having a higher level cs degree as a dev is like having an architect degree as a construction worker.

Having a higher level cs degree as an it worker is like having a degree in astronomy as a telescope repair man.

I’m not saying don’t get an education. Just be realistic about the impact it will have on your career.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I only have an AS, however at the time I was part of a votech group and they offered some of the original NetAcademy classes, in person to community college / high school students.

Did really well with that, and from there just worked my way up from a local admin lackey to Enterprise design.

Honestly my CCDA, CISSP, experience are important. My college degree is essentially buried as a footnote.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The advice they gave us as undergrads was basically this.

Get a masters in your field if you want to teach or do research.

Get a masters in business if you intend to be an entrepreneur in your field or want to climb for those C level positions.

Otherwise, it's not going to help your career in a significant way.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The advice they gave us as undergrads was basically this.

Get a masters in your field if you want to teach or do research.

Get a masters in business if you intend to be an entrepreneur in your field or want to climb for those C level positions.

Otherwise, it's not going to help your career in a significant way.

This is true for some degrees, not true for others. Having a bachelors in an applicable field absolutely will help your career if you work in that field.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is true for some degrees, not true for others. Having a bachelors in an applicable field absolutely will help your career if you work in that field.

He's talking about Masters Degrees.

Thanks for ya'lls hot takes though, I guess I'll skip my Masters for now and just work on getting some certs and hired some where.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 2, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Second time you’ve made that mistake clam, get with it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He said undergrads in his post, stop being so confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

OhDearGodNo posted:

My college degree is essentially buried as a footnote.

AS checking in, and ditto. Real-world experience and networking like crazy will take you a long way. I can definitely recommend the home lab part, you will break things and hopefully you'll learn how not to break things once you're dealing with production.

Higher level degrees can absolutely help you if you want the management track, but if you want to stay technical, it pretty much boils down to:

Learn everything you can about your domain, and learn things adjacent to it too. Practice. You'll be more well-rounded and will be able to see creative approaches to your work. Learn automation and amaze people with what looks like a superhuman work effort. With how fast things move in technology, if you aren't learning you are being left behind.

Work on and continuously improve your soft skills. Don't be the rear end in a top hat nobody wants to work with, be the person who people want to work with and you'll probably end up doing some projects that seem lovely at the time, but actually force you to stretch and learn, making you even more effective overall. Just don't be a doormat or dumping ground for lovely stuff once you have your feet under you.

I'll hire someone with a couple years of experience who can demonstrate their drive by their accomplishments over a fresh graduate with a high GPA and honors or whatever that hasn't done anything yet. Even if you're doing nothing more than setting up a lab and playing with some toy projects, you're still doing more than a lot of people bother to do.