Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I can see why they chose to use CGI for this show. They're able to model the fluid dynamics and gem shattering really well. I don't think 2D would have the same sort of effect here.
Yeah, the CG feels like an actual artistic choice here, and it actually adds to the show. I think a good 2D show based on the manga could be made but it'd have to execute some things very differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It also helps that this show cheats a lot, it's far from full CG. But yea, the shows ability to have this gorgeous action then transition to something small and meaningful rules a lot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think if they'd gone 2d they still would've had to use 3d for a lot of things, it would just clash more

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

help i wanted to watch this scene again because it is kinda absurdly well crafted in every way, but now i'm all hosed up again

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/934554488479911938

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That scene gives me chills

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Everything Burrito posted:

That scene gives me chills

Not empty quotin'.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

She was so close to being useful and they snatched it away at the last second.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
for close up 2d scenes, is it just me, or are they animated in ones or twos? not threes?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Do we know how much of the manga the anime is going to cover?
It's scheduled for 12 episodes, and the cover art of the third volume shows stuff which just happened in episode 8.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

From voice actor announcements people are expecting it to go through volume 4 and like a chapter or two into 5.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 1, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Phobophilia posted:

for close up 2d scenes, is it just me, or are they animated in ones or twos? not threes?

What do you mean?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Animated "on the ones" or "on the twos" is when they do a new drawing every frame or two frames at 24 fps. It's incredibly intensive and expensive to do, and the majority of nice-looking anime is done on the threes and fours, with bursts of being done on the twos for action sequences. Almost nothing is done on the ones because it's like four times the work.

I do think a lot of the 2D sections are done on the twos! It looks really good!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

At the very least I don't think they're dramatically limiting the frame rate of the CG like the Knights of Sidonia folks do, or if they do I don't notice it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

an actual dog posted:

At the very least I don't think they're dramatically limiting the frame rate of the CG like the Knights of Sidonia folks do, or if they do I don't notice it.

They definitely are, but they are being intelligent about when they do it. Some of the slower, talkier scenes are significantly slowed down, which is fine since there's not a lot of movement and the movement isn't that important. In general, it seems that the more important movement is to a scene, the higher the rendered framerate is. Action scenes, like the one posted above, require a lot more fidelity because of the focus on fast and subtle movements, so a much faster framerate is used there.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Cool as heck gem art
https://twitter.com/kotake429/status/936592073645424641

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

hahaha...ha :smith:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

in that vein i ran down the last 2 pages and didn't see any mention of it so hey they put pretty art on the website after the last ep http://land-of-the-lustrous.com/

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
btw giving your minions on-death effects and damage reflection abilities is such bullshit

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i'm excited for another depressing episode of house kino ku ni

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/skg3223/status/925810330940293120

Sugoi! Tanoshi!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Guys. Guys. Guys.

Sensei has yaoi hands.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I hope we get to see more of alexandrite. They're so cute and excitable!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

also voiced by kug

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RIP Phos.

She still exists technically, but the changes have made her a very distinct character from the previous Phos.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

There Bias Two posted:

RIP Phos.

She still exists technically, but the changes have made her a very distinct character from the previous Phos.

I actually got chills down my spine at that first shot of Phos. Their eyes are no longer their own.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 2, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
How much was the alloy and how much was just being alone and having all of that responsibility (and guilt) to deal with. Being around the others was good for Phos. Not to make a corny pun but the alloy did seem to give them more uh...gravity though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Everything Burrito posted:

How much was the alloy and how much was just being alone and having all of that responsibility (and guilt) to deal with. Being around the others was good for Phos. Not to make a corny pun but the alloy did seem to give them more uh...gravity though.

She's also lost a good chunk of her memories and therefore personality.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

There Bias Two posted:

She's also lost a good chunk of her memories and therefore personality.

true but I think being around the others was helping bring back some of his personality

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They always had a lot of deadpan humour in them but the bubbliness seems to have gone.

Also god drat that next episode title I am hyped as gently caress.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Dia grabbing Phos' arm and just stretching it out offscreen was extremely good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Competent Phos is sure a change.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Extremely depressed Phos makes me sad. :smith:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

At least she got to smile about being able to fight and win. She got the praise she's always wanted. But still poor Phos, poor Cinnibar.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
All the gems wanting sensei rides was incredibly adorable.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's interesting to see the gems act this way toward Phos whereas previously they were shown to be uncurious toward pretty much everything.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Congratulations, your Phos was updated to version 2.0! Now with 80% less uselessness and increased functionality for all Gold and Platinum users. Possible bugs in new version may include Hallucinations, Depression, PTSD episodes and forgetting their loved ones.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Punished Phos had a hard life.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There Bias Two posted:

RIP Phos.

Yeah, that's not Phos anymore. Looks like we're finally seeing that Ship of Theseus stuff kick in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

There Bias Two posted:

It's interesting to see the gems act this way toward Phos whereas previously they were shown to be uncurious toward pretty much everything.

I think a lot of it was that this change was a viewed as Gem thing and thus seen as relevant, while snails and flowers still "don't matter". Even so each Gems' curiosity was funneled through their particular obsession; fashion, fighting, smithing, surgery etc.

• Locked thread