Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's pretty great to just clear up until lunch and take the rest of the day off. Or knock it all out in 4 days and take the rest of the time off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's kind of weird when one of your retard soldiers that causes you to do extra work because of his poor decision making skills decides to add you on facebook. Really dude?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Mustang posted:

It's kind of weird when one of your retard soldiers that causes you to do extra work because of his poor decision making skills decides to add you on facebook. Really dude?

maybe you can use that as an in to gently caress his fat wife

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
cite UCMJ stuff at him at all of his posts until he gets disgusted and unfriends you

bait him into attacking you online then give him an article 15 for social media shenanigans

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

It is normal. They think you are cool. They do not realize they are a retard. They are enlisted.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe I’m a loving rear end in a top hat but the first time I had a soldier try to friend me on Facebook I asked him what I’d done to make him think I was into that, in order to ensure I wasn’t sending the signal of being someone who wanted to fraternize.

Doubly so because my FB usage is already drat near zero.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You also have to understand that new soldiers are a digital culture and do a lot of their communication through that type of medium bullshit. I don't understand it, but a lot of my classmates are loving glued to snapchat or whatever. Like, they feel obligated to use those methods because "everybody else uses those." and digital life takes precedence over real life.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also don't become the old. My soldier emojis and I could be frustrated that I don't understand it I can just do five loving seconds of Google.

Still gently caress with him for it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The first time I felt old was when I realized one of my new privates was in elementary school while I was a sophomore in college

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I'll admit that I appreciate social media, mostly because it makes it possible to stay close to people in situations where you'd otherwise almost certainly drift apart. I met a lot of amazing people during undergrad and my master's, and with Facebook I can kinda interact with them as if we were still around each other even though we're scattered across the country.

That being said, I hate how social media is set up to share everything with everyone. I wish the Google+ idea of circles would become standard. Sometimes I just want to get drunk and spam my friends' pages with weird avant garde music and rants about esoteric poo poo because that's how I say "I care." I don't need my family or army friends seeing that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mustang posted:

The first time I felt old was when I realized one of my new privates was in elementary school while I was a sophomore in college

I'm done. I tried. The new LTs can do this. gently caress it, I'm out.

Ooooh, new MILPER about Captain's board came out?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can make Facebook Smart Lists to do that very thing.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i felt old as gently caress standing around a high school loving lunch room at like 32 years old

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

You can make Facebook Smart Lists to do that very thing.

Well, poo poo. I didn't know that. Guess that means I'm officially Old.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My ROTC peers are all making Major this month

jokes on them, they're still in

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

not caring here posted:

Appointments.

And that stupid transition workshop.

Go home and sleep.

This will never happen on my watch again. Since I had that kid who failed utterly at clearing on time (didn’t make it in time for terminal and went 5 days pass his ETS date) every single soldier who ets/pcs has to sit around the company and do 4 platoon accountability formations a day until they are 14 days out and have clearing orders. Then they have to come in and show a NCO their clearing papers so someone can track their process.

Sounds lame, but we had 2 guys that we caught who were not clearing and just sitting in their room playing Xbox.

You would think that for as much as everyone hates the army, they would do their hardest to clear everything and GTFO as soon as possible. But instead they rather cut into heir terminal leave cause they’re so lazy and useless.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
your soldiers are a direct reflection of your leadership~~~~~~

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Eh, it's not always their fault. I was clearing at the same time as a buddy who I'd be road tripping with, and we got set back roughly two weeks because CIF was hosed up and wouldn't take his poo poo back or something weird like that. Granted, that's only one case.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The tragedy of the military is that you can't just wash your hands of your subordinates. In almost any other job, you could just fire your worst employees and then promptly forget all about them, but not here.

This means that, to cover your rear end, however you deal with your worst soldiers ends up being how you deal with all of your soldiers. The bad ones get kicked out, the good ones get sick of being treated like poo poo and ETS, and the middling ones stay in while learning that this is just how things work, and so they perpetuate the cycle of abuse.

[armystrong.mid]

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I also had to do some clearing while on ETS leave, and mine was also because CIF was being a bitch about getting an appointment. Everything I had left was either CIF or required me to have cleared CIF before going to them.

loving CIF.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
CIF/MED were the first two places I cleared. I had to buy a replacement ALICE ruck frame and something else small.

Cleared those two, and everything else was cake.

But anyway gently caress CIF

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It’s irritating how the Army feels entitled to be all up in everyone’s personal lives. Like why the gently caress am I even remotely involved in one of my soldiers divorces? Both the soldier and spouse are giant loving idiots that got married way too young and I honestly just don’t give a poo poo.

The worst thing to find out is that one of your soldiers is getting married because it almost always ends up becoming a problem I have to deal with later on down the line.

It’s even worse when they start having kids while also buying brand new f-150s and you have to be all up in your soldiers finances because the Army is dumb is as all hell.

You can’t fix stupid and there’s a lot of stupid in the Army.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

It’s irritating how the Army feels entitled to be all up in everyone’s personal lives. Like why the gently caress am I even remotely involved in one of my soldiers divorces? Both the soldier and spouse are giant loving idiots that got married way too young and I honestly just don’t give a poo poo.

The worst thing to find out is that one of your soldiers is getting married because it almost always ends up becoming a problem I have to deal with later on down the line.

It’s even worse when they start having kids while also buying brand new f-150s and you have to be all up in your soldiers finances because the Army is dumb is as all hell.

You can’t fix stupid and there’s a lot of stupid in the Army.

lmao

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
At least your soldier isn't this dude who bought a 5 year old Challenger at 24% interest, has crashed it multiple times, and his solution to fixing his $500 per month car payments was to get married.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. People thought I was stupid for marrying the chick from AAFES but we are strong as gently caress 7 years and counting.

Edit: we were smart and even though the marriage was relatively quick, we had already essentially moved in together and it was a “I have orders for Germany so, either this happens or we say good-bye”.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

My ROTC peers are all making Major this month

jokes on them, they're still in

Same, and I look back to how majors appeared to me when I was a boot, and I am so glad I haven't become that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Loden Taylor posted:

The tragedy of the military is that you can't just wash your hands of your subordinates. In almost any other job, you could just fire your worst employees and then promptly forget all about them, but not here.

This means that, to cover your rear end, however you deal with your worst soldiers ends up being how you deal with all of your soldiers. The bad ones get kicked out, the good ones get sick of being treated like poo poo and ETS, and the middling ones stay in while learning that this is just how things work, and so they perpetuate the cycle of abuse.

[armystrong.mid]

It's actually hard to fire employees unless they do something incredibly stupid or negligent. Otherwise you have to manage them out or suffer through months of performance improvement plans designed to make them fail. If you don't, you're going to get sued for something.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Somebody now rocks the oozlefinch 4 lyf.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Aranan posted:

I also had to do some clearing while on ETS leave, and mine was also because CIF was being a bitch about getting an appointment. Everything I had left was either CIF or required me to have cleared CIF before going to them.

loving CIF.

Oh CIF, the light of my life!

To go through SERE we were forced to draw field equipment including a canteen cup. Part of it involved heating the cup over fire, blackening its bottom. CIF would not take the cup for turn in, as it "looked used." The spray paint color you're looking for is called aluminum. Similar story with an e-tool. It's not black spray paint, it's e-tool cleaner.

I had a guy ETS without clearing CIF at all. So we got in touch with mr. civilian and let him know that the IRS would garnish his tax returns to the tune of the $6k of TA-50 he never turned back in. He came back to finish clearing, but CIF wouldn't let him turn the gear in unless he was in uniform, but he was a full, DD-214-holding civilian now. He borrowed a friend's uniform, wore it unshaven with long hair and no patches like a terp, and turned his poo poo in.

When I left Hood I turned in a bunch of extra RFI stuff to CIF just so it wouldn't be on my record. They wanted some belt back that I didn't have, so I told the guy I would just pay for it to clear the entry. He yells over to his buddy pushing a big cart around and says "Let me get one of them belts!", takes someone else's turned-in belt, and hands it to me so I can hand it back to him and he can check it off.

I mean I'm happy that you saved me $8, but it kind of undercuts the moral high road you used to justify bureaucratic nonsense in the previous encounters.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 3, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
get your poo poo flipled or whatever its called

then you can walk away with thousands of dollars worth of poo poo that you were supposed to turn in but didn't.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Was any of that SERE poo poo true? Like getting loving blackjacked trying hide from Opfor?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

He yells over to his buddy pushing a big cart around and says "Let me get one of them belts!", takes someone else's turned-in belt, and hands it to me so I can hand it back to him and he can check it off.

Amazing.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Oh CIF, the light of my life!

To go through SERE we were forced to draw field equipment including a canteen cup. Part of the curriculum of the course involved heating the cup over fire, blackening its bottom. CIF would not take the cup for turn in, as it "looked used." The spray paint color you're looking for is called aluminum. Similar story with an e-tool. It's not black spray paint, it's e-tool cleaner.

I had a guy ETS without clearing CIF at all. So we got in touch with mr. civilian and let him know that the IRS would garnish his tax returns to the tune of the $6k of TA-50 he never turned back in. He came back to finish clearing, but CIF wouldn't let him turn the gear in unless he was in uniform, but he was a full, DD-214-holding civilian now. He borrowed a friend's uniform, wore it unshaven with long hair and no patches like a terp, and turned his poo poo in.

When I left Hood I turned in a bunch of extra RFI stuff to CIF just so it wouldn't be on my record. They wanted some belt back that I didn't have, so I told the guy I would just pay for it to clear the entry. He yells over to his buddy pushing a big cart around and says "Let me get one of them belts!", takes someone else's turned-in belt, and hands it to me so I can hand it back to him and he can check it off.

I mean I'm happy that you saved me $8, but it kind of undercuts the moral high road you used to justify bureaucratic nonsense in the previous encounters.

Stupid question but wouldn't a box have to be pencil whip checked somewhere that said mr. civilian cleared CIF so that his box went from red to green on an excel spreadsheet somewhere so that he could ETS?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

get your poo poo flipled or whatever its called

then you can walk away with thousands of dollars worth of poo poo that you were supposed to turn in but didn't.

Soulex posted:

Was any of that SERE poo poo true? Like getting loving blackjacked trying hide from Opfor?

It's literally just three weeks of eating cake and watching Netflix. I gained 15 pounds.

Flikken posted:

Stupid question but wouldn't a box have to be pencil whip checked somewhere that said mr. civilian cleared CIF so that his box went from red to green on an excel spreadsheet somewhere so that he could ETS?

Possibly. When you redeploy a UIC to home station and collapse the rear D, a lot of dudes who are on terminal leave get temporarily assigned to company rosters. These are guys you may never have met, and will definitely not see because they're on terminal already. Somewhere in that seam, somebody let him go on leave without finishing clearing, and it wasn't handed off to me. poo poo happens.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

It's literally just three weeks of eating cake and watching Netflix. I gained 15 pounds.

Possibly. When you redeploy a UIC to home station and collapse the rear D, a lot of dudes who are on terminal leave get temporarily assigned to company rosters. These are guys you may never have met, and will definitely not see because they're on terminal already. Somewhere in that seam, somebody let him go on leave without finishing clearing, and it wasn't handed off to me. poo poo happens.

gently caress it, I'd roll the dice on the IRS garnishment and appeal it claiming I cleared.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5j4DIellR4

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

that's 100% how it worked for me.

some of my stuff got stolen in korea when my household goods was being packed so they just wrote my entire CIF list off and i didn't have to turn anything in even though i still had like 75% of it.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
A FLIPL isn't magic. If you had paperwork showing that your CIF gear was packed in HHG, and then paperwork showing your CIF gear was missing upon receipt, and a willingness to lie on paper about it all being gone because an extra ruck and some ammo pouches is that important to ya, then a commander can use that to justify writing things off because a paper trailer clearly establishes liability to the moving company.

If you're just some guy who never cleared, and then CIF says "hey i have a record that shows you signed for this" and you can't come back with a piece of paper proving you turned it in, you're gonna pay for it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A FLIPL isn't magic. If you had paperwork showing that your CIF gear was packed in HHG, and then paperwork showing your CIF gear was missing upon receipt, and a willingness to lie on paper about it all being gone because an extra ruck and some ammo pouches is that important to ya, then a commander can use that to justify writing things off because a paper trailer clearly establishes liability to the moving company.

If you're just some guy who never cleared, and then CIF says "hey i have a record that shows you signed for this" and you can't come back with a piece of paper proving you turned it in, you're gonna pay for it.

i made several hundred dollars on that "extra ruck and some ammo pouches" and i have no problem getting one over on the army for several hundred dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

You are counting on organizations that failed bureaucratly on a proper clearing and ETS to do the IRS garnishment paperwork correctly?