Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

*Shrug* Mine are covered with green screens and blinds and all that. So no idea. Buuuuuuut.
I know mirror doors on poo poo can really screw with tracking though. So any "mirror" like surface would be bad. So I'd guess at some angles yes?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Depends how much light is kicking off/through them.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
With the availability of classic maps in Doom VR I'd like to remind everyone that Bill Gates was already inside Doom after launching Windows 95:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36PA6SUpIWg

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Doom VFR is loving terrible. Just awful.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I dunno. It's ok. The best part about it was definitely the computer at the start that lets you look at all the models up close and life-size, I lost time in there.
The game itself is pretty frantic (I did up the difficulty) and reasonably fun but the 'find the fire extinguisher' quests are total rubbish and reusing all the maps (that I've seen) from DOOM is pretty lame, even if I understand why it was done (PCVR makes no money - although this might do ok on Playstation VR)

I still kinda wish I could just try DOOM with smooth locomotion though, how hard could it be to give us that now that they've done all the hard lifting for the VR port?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Teleportation movement is easily the most disappointing part of current VR and it's always lazy and terrible

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its not that picky, I just wouldn't play in a house of mirrors is all. Picture frames, little doo dads, etc is really not an issue at all, don't think you need to go around covering up anything reflective.

Man... I couldn't be more disappointed about Doom the more and more I hear about it from people :(

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

So Drunken Bar Fight is apparently getting updates still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgUIcyKEEk
This is fantastic.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Chadzok posted:

I dunno. It's ok. The best part about it was definitely the computer at the start that lets you look at all the models up close and life-size, I lost time in there.
The game itself is pretty frantic (I did up the difficulty) and reasonably fun but the 'find the fire extinguisher' quests are total rubbish and reusing all the maps (that I've seen) from DOOM is pretty lame, even if I understand why it was done (PCVR makes no money - although this might do ok on Playstation VR)

Unfortunately they were lazy about the port to PlayStation VR, there are a lot of things that are really awkward that didn't need to be.

:bethesda:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The biggest thing I don’t like about teleportation movement is that I guess my brain thinks it’s real so when I dream now I teleport around and it’s kind of disorienting. Am I alone in that and does that go away eventually? Imagine that it is just a novel thing for my brain to be dealing with and since I play at night before bed it is the last thing that my brain remembers before sleeping.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't had VR affect my perception of reality or my dreams.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Switched my games drive to a larger SSD a while back, moved all the old files over, new drive has same name and letter. Trying to load up Oculus for the first time since wheneve and the Oculus software completely poo poo the bed. Does not recognize any of the games already there, is not able to download any games. Same drive name and letter! Does this poo poo piece of trash actually save some drive ID during installation instead of just drive letter? And of course there's no way to change that after installation.

So now I'd have to install it all over again, do the calibration song and dance, and I realize that within 6 months I went from "VR is awesome" to not even giving enough of poo poo anymore to go through that small amount of trouble to get it running again.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 2, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If you had stuff set up via symlinks you'll just have to redo that part and it should start working.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

rio posted:

The biggest thing I don’t like about teleportation movement is that I guess my brain thinks it’s real so when I dream now I teleport around and it’s kind of disorienting. Am I alone in that and does that go away eventually? Imagine that it is just a novel thing for my brain to be dealing with and since I play at night before bed it is the last thing that my brain remembers before sleeping.

It'll go away eventually.

I woke up one evening not entirely convinced my arms were mine, my brain thinking I was wearing the VR. Was kind of funny really.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

rio posted:

If I play soon before I go to sleep then I have dreams where I act out the same motions or whatever over and over-- but that happens from paying regular games or doing any repetitive behavior before bed in my experience. Even working on a math proof or programming before bed does this for me.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Switched my games drive to a larger SSD a while back, moved all the old files over, new drive has same name and letter. Trying to load up Oculus for the first time since wheneve and the Oculus software completely poo poo the bed. Does not recognize any of the games already there, is not able to download any games. Same drive name and letter! Does this poo poo piece of trash actually save some drive ID during installation instead of just drive letter? And of course there's no way to change that after installation.

So now I'd have to install it all over again, do the calibration song and dance, and I realize that within 6 months I went from "VR is awesome" to not even giving enough of poo poo anymore to go through that small amount of trouble to get it running again.

Yeah, it doesn't handle game libraries nearly as well as Steam or Uplay. Hell, I have From Other Suns on my SSD via mklink and to update it, I need to transfer it back to the original folder and redo the link after the update. They really need to do a per game folder choice and a game install verification for existing game folders.

e: I made a batch file to handle the stupid update process. Still requires waiting on the copy back and forth between drives.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm hoping to see a revamping of the file system with the 2.0 update coming in a couple weeks. It's annoying not being able to select the directory on a per game basis, but, heck they're finally adding wishlists in the update and a whole new desktop app, so maybe that will come too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rage-saq posted:

Tales of Glory. Better 2h weapons than Gorn by a mile.

How do they add weight to the weapons. Right now Gorn and Superhot arr the ONLY melee VR game I have enjoyed, and its largely because Gorn bothers giving weapons weight (aside from the boulder, ironically enough, which feels like wielding a feather) and Superhots mechanics give movement enough weight to begin with.

Tales of Glory is one of the few I havent tried, but I feel like if it did anything special or better than gorn someone would have pointed it out by now? So does it not bother with weapon weight or is it good in some other way that somehow overwhelms that

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GlyphGryph posted:

How do they add weight to the weapons. Right now Gorn and Superhot arr the ONLY melee VR game I have enjoyed, and its largely because Gorn bothers giving weapons weight (aside from the boulder, ironically enough, which feels like wielding a feather) and Superhots mechanics give movement enough weight to begin with.

Tales of Glory is one of the few I havent tried, but I feel like if it did anything special or better than gorn someone would have pointed it out by now? So does it not bother with weapon weight or is it good in some other way that somehow overwhelms that

The weapons have weight and damage is a complex but very realistic feeling algorithm that includes the angle of attack, force of swing, physics, etc

The weapons in GORN are fun but are just little toys compared to the much more realistic style of ToG where holding weapons the right way and using them the right way is not only easy to do but feels really rewarding and engaging.

The claymore for example is just incredible and makes you feel like a total badass blocking and counterattacking and being in a skirmish with dozens to nearly a hundred AI at once.

The dev is awesome and constantly improving the game and is achieving some really impressive stuff in VR. There is a free demo that is pretty up to date and will totally give you a taste of the real thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I will try it out then. I am genuinely interested in how they handle weight mechanics - since you didnt really describe how they do it I guess the best way to figure it out would be trying myself, hah.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oculus Core update on wednesday

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Do you just mean inertia? The weapons in GORN are deliberately floppy to accentuate the inertia.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do you just mean inertia? The weapons in GORN are deliberately floppy to accentuate the inertia.

Weight is just the combines forces of intertia and gravity! But yeah, the Gorn implementation for making the feel of inertia in a weapon and the forces its undergoing and the weight of its bits visual is imo really great. Not the only possible implementation but the only game I have seen that really even tries.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Looks like doom will be adding lefty support and depending on how hard you squint at the wording, maaaaaaaaybe some smooth movement options?

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/936641046469120001

I just... how on earth did the game ship without considering left handed players? It's such a basic thing it blows my mind.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Get out wronghands :colbert:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

I just... how on earth did the game ship without considering left handed players? It's such a basic thing it blows my mind.

They only officially support Vive wands and Move controllers, and with both of those you can just switch which hands the controllers are in so why would you need a setting for it?

I'm disappointed they didn't double down and make it left-handed only on Rift for maximum hilarity.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

NRVNQSR posted:

They only officially support Vive wands and Move controllers, and with both of those you can just switch which hands the controllers are in so why would you need a setting for it?

I'm disappointed they didn't double down and make it left-handed only on Rift for maximum hilarity.

The problem with doom is, even if you switch controllers, it still shows the hands holding the guns and the hands used to interact with stuff as the opposite hands, which makes it look all kinds of hosed up.

edit:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Tom Guycot posted:

The problem with doom is, even if you switch controllers, it still shows the hands holding the guns and the hands used to interact with stuff as the opposite hands, which makes it look all kinds of hosed up.
I fixed this in my own projects in UE4, this is incredibly lazy and oversighted

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Both PayDay 2 and Doom VFR almost seem like they were developed in a vacuum. Had the developers tried any other VR games to see how they adapted systems?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SwissCM posted:

Both PayDay 2 and Doom VFR almost seem like they were developed in a vacuum. Had the developers tried any other VR games to see how they adapted systems?

I think this is probably hitting the nail right on the head. It sort of makes sense too, big established developers with a lot of staff, project managers, etc a big machine with a lot of inertia working for a while isn't going to be as nimble and will inevitably be more inward focused I think. Doom, Payday, even the VR from scratch games from bigger studios like Mage's Tale (though patched better movement post launch) or Arktica.1 had a lot of decisions that felt like they were laid down before the consumer systems even launched. Which... does make sense in a way since the work was likely started that far back. Even Gunfire Games, who released several great VR titles already, would have launched FoS with only head directed movement having never even tried onward for example. Luckily during their open beta they really took community feedback to heart which should be a lesson to others.

At the same time, croteam did a bang up job with their ports, Epic released one of the best arcade shooters, and Ready at Dawn did some of the most innovative vr support so its not like being big is an excuse. I think it just means the larger they are the more they have to watch out for tunnel vision.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

SwissCM posted:

As glad as I was to hear about a big studio like Bethesda doubling down with three relatively big franchise ports to VR at a time where most tbig studios are playing it safe and waiting for a market first, it is disappointing to hear such a luke warm reception. Hopefully they don't take this lesson as "VR Games won't sell" rather than "Poor VR games won't sell".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skyrim has the same problem. I can deal with pointer-based menus in VR for anything outside of the context of the game itself, but when a game relies on it during actual gameplay any sense of immersion falls apart. It becomes completely clear that you are playing a mediocre port of a flat screen video game.

Seeing actions play out before me from a trigger click in VR feels instantly disappointing to me and the idea of selecting items from a menu in Skyrim feels much less cool than grabbing your bag of loot from your back and opening it up in order to access it's contents. Maybe make all that meta CHIM stuff from Morrowind more literal, visualize that you're actually tearing a hole through time and shuffling through a Tardis-esque sack containing all your items. Make all the interfaces something more akin to how a character in the game would perceive it. The level up/skill tree is one of the few UIs they decided to adapt this way. Perhaps mods can fill in the rest of the blanks, but I'd imagine that the way animations work would mean interactions with the environment will always be pretty stilted.

I really hope they're designing their later games with VR in mind, they really need to overhaul their broken-rear end toolset and engine though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The new Echo Arena update is real good and if you've been thinking about getting back into it or trying it out again, now is a good time. The two biggest changes:

The joust now moves to the side of the team that just got scored on (the first joust/overtime joust is still at the center). This means you always have a turn at possession, and emphasizes team play and passing more.

Lag compensation. Before, if you had 100 ping and they had 100 ping l, you'd have no idea where they actually were because the server only tells you what it was last told, so they always appear 200 ms behind, meaning brawling/grabbing/throwing was super hard to judge/the disc would teleport to and from people's hands, etc. Now there's prediction so you can trust where everything is and it feels incredible, almost like lan.

It's good play it

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

The joust now moves to the side of the team that just got scored on (the first joust/overtime joust is still at the center). This means you always have a turn at possession, and emphasizes team play and passing more.

God this makes so much sense I wonder why it wasn't this way from the start.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It wasn't such a problem at the start because everyone was super inconsistent at the start so it was fun and fast and it went back and forth, but now everyone is super consistent so the same team always wins

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Even though it wasn't an issue then, its still surprising when I sit and think about, just from the point of view of emulating real sports its simply natural and makes sense to change possession of the ball after a point.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Well, got the poo poo installed again, had to rerun SteamVR Setup too, finally played some Rez and now I'm happy with VR again. Still, all of this needs to become way easier and more convenient.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
After driving around in ATS/ETS2 for a while, I really wish there was an emergency driving simulator. Really all you need is the same driving mechanics and one/two buttons for siren control. We have a full size simulator with 3 projectors in a neighboring city, but it is nowhere near as nice for immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SEKCobra posted:

After driving around in ATS/ETS2 for a while, I really wish there was an emergency driving simulator. Really all you need is the same driving mechanics and one/two buttons for siren control. We have a full size simulator with 3 projectors in a neighboring city, but it is nowhere near as nice for immersion.

I've mentioned this before, but I want the same ATS/ETS mechanisms but in a multiplayer cross country racing game with as many players as the system can handle. Battle royale driving between random destinations would be so much fun.