Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

loving choke artists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
:stare: I realized I had a soft schedule for September and thought I had an outside chance to sneak into 2nd. I never would have dreamed it would turn out like this.

Praise Centeotl! All glory to the corn!

EDIT: also I feel better about having such a weak head-to-head against the Ralphie Mays now that they've moved up in the pack

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 2, 2017

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

:stare: I realized I had a soft schedule for September and thought I had an outside chance to sneak into 2nd. I never would have dreamed it would turn out like this.

Praise Centeotl! All glory to the corn!

EDIT: also I feel better about having such a weak head-to-head against the Ralphie Mays now that they've moved up in the pack

Congrats.

Also does someone know a good exorcist? This demon has been haunting me since my humble first offering in SL V and he gets a bit clingy.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CVE posted:

Congrats.

Also does someone know a good exorcist? This demon has been haunting me since my humble first offering in SL V and he gets a bit clingy.

You're gonna crush teams in the subpar. Sorry you got run down by a ludicrously hot team, but I expect big things from this team.

If you're even in the subpar, anyway. That extra spot could be a thing.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TheMcD posted:

Bullpen and rotation isn't optimal. There's a lot of fine options in the hitting, though, so you can afford to concentrate on pitching, I'd say.
As you'd expect from a team built (mostly) from a set of Silver Sluggers and an All-Star Team. :v: Good to know that no glaring holes developed on the rest of the field, though.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXIII, Sic Transit Division Tiebreaker: Motorville Mites vs. RCMP

: Oh, great, a tiebreaker, because that's something I'm interested in doing.
: Wait, Smasher, before we get to that, why don't we have some small talk.
: What?
: What's on your mind, Smasher? I want to know.
: Well, I was thinking that if life is going to keep being like what it is now for the next 20 or 30 years, that it might be smarter to roll the dice when it comes to the existence of a punitive afterlife, and just kill myself now.
: What?
: I mean, we don't know whether or not there's some sort of punishment in the afterlife for killing yourself, and I'm thinking there's not a huge chance there is, but even still, it's a gamble that-
: Let's go back to baseball!

Sic Transit Vir Division Tiebreaker: Motorville Mites @ RCMP

: The following contest, scheduled for one game, is for the undisputed Super-League XXIII Sic Transit Vir Division Championship. The winner will advance to the Divisional Round against the Rochester Generics, while the loser will be forced to play the wildcard game, where they will host The Hague Honkbalers.

: Introducing first, from Motorville, they are newcomers to the Super-League, looking to make the impossible jump from entering the league to winning a division title in their first year. With the power of Mike Megatheny, they endeavor to prove that the perfect outcome can be reached despite the imperfect methods. Hope and belief fuel the team of the Super-League Ombudsman, here are the visiting team in this contest, the Motorville Mites!

: And their opponents, holding home-field in this game, they are one of the most venerable teams surviving in the Super-League today, they are eleven-time minor championship holders, the reigning and defending three-time Sic Transit Vir Division Champions, the reigning and defending three-time Dynamo League Champions, and the reigning and defending Super-League Champions of the World! From the great frozen north whose only warmth comes from Crown Royal and flannel, the RCMP!

: The RCMP have reacted to the Mites starting a left-hander by...loading up their lineup with left-handed batters.
: It's an interesting strategy, in the same way that trying to douse a raging fire with gasoline is an interesting strategy. It may not be the wisest thing that DannoMack has ever done.
: And just as a sidenote, as has been the tradition since forever, this tiebreaker is considered part of the regular season, so, technically, expanded rosters are in effect.
: I can't imagine that making a huge difference.

: Top 1, and Tris Speaker gets the game going with a walk. Billy Hamilton singles him over to third and Mel Ott hits into a double-play, put Speaker scores, and it's 1-0 Mites.
: Even with the RCMP hobbling their lineup, though, you think they'll be able to match that against Eddie Plank...

: And that's the end of the seventh, and the RCMP continues to fail to score anyone at any time, as Eddie Plank has held them scoreless through seven.
: He's at 91 pitches, so you think that, in this tiebreaker, that he has at least one, and maybe two innings in him. Barring some sort of crazy thing happening, it looks like the RCMP are going to have to figure out how to beat Eddie Plank, and soon. They only have six outs left.
: And it looks like DannoMack is going to make a pitching change. Larry Jackson has pitched well, but DannoMack wants a new arm. He's gesturing to the bullpen, and holding up both arms. That's unusual. Wait, that's Ambi Dextro's music. He's calling in the switch pitcher!
: Oh, no!
: He's looking to change the nature of the game! Literally, because to make Ambi Dextro work, I had to build altered reality engines into each of his pitching arms, meaning that when he pitches, the laws of physics no longer apply in their traditional forms.
: But the laws of physics are our friends!
: Vizquel up first, and he grounds out. And FairGame is looking confused and distressed. If he even were to call for a pinch-hitter here, who would he pick? There's no platoon advantage? He's calling for Bobby Grich, and Grich grounds out. Tris Speaker up, and Speaker grounds out! Dextro has done it! He has retired the side!
: And now FairGame will need to go to his bullpen, since he lifted Plank for a pinch-hitter. He'll go with Cishek.
: Cishek facing Roger Bresnahan to start the inning, and he throws a strike, but the ball loops around the catcher, and slams into Bresnahan's back!
: Dextro's very presence has destroyed any semblance of Newtonian mechanics in this game!
: Cishek tries to settle in against Joe Sewell, but his pitch suddenly splits into two on its way to the mound, quantum indeterminacy suddenly becoming a key issue in this game! The umpire calls that a double wild pitch, and awards Bresnahan third base. FairGame storms to the umpire, and declares that he is playing this game under protest.
: As well he might.
: Joey Votto comes into the game as a pinch-hitter for Dextro, and Cishek tries to throw a straight fastball, just trying to power through the breakdown in reality occurring. And Joey Votto swings and misses, and then gets stuck in a time loop, endlessly repeating the same swing over and over, possibly for all eternity! The umpire is looking through the rulebook, and declares it a strike out.
: It's all coming apart!
: Billy Hamilton is up next, and Cishek delivers the ball, and it disappears and reappears in the outfield. The umpire is signalling that's a fair ball! Bresnahan scores, and it's 1-1! Wade Boggs up, and Cishek tries again, and Boggs takes the ball, only for the ball to spontaneously hit itself into the outfield, and that's another run scored! It's 2-1 RCMP!
: I don't understand what's-

: What the hell just happened? It's the bottom of the eighth and now the game is over. Did we miss something?
: I don't know. I think RCMP won the game, but accidentally on purpose undermined the foundations of the universe and destroyed us all.
: Ambi Dextro got the win?
: He...he did. Smasher, you're reckless experimentation in switch-pitching has doomed us all!
: Really? Oh, then I guess my suicidal ideation from the beginning of the post is moot. Until the wildcard round, everyone!

Wildcard Round Injury Update

Motorville Mites

Injuries
-None-

Pitcher Rest
Red Faber - AVAILABLE!
Everyone Else - Starting on Short Rest

The Hague Honkbalers

Injuries
-None-

Pitcher Rest
Chief Bender (SP2) - AVAILABLE!
Carl Mays - AVAILABLE!

Kobe Crows

Injuries
-None-

Pitcher Rest
Pedro Martinez (SP3) - AVAILABLE!
Joe McGinnity - AVAILABLE!

Portland Panderers

Injuries
Zach Britton (RP) - Out

Pitcher Rest
Cole Hamels - AVAILABLE!
Randy Johnson - AVAILABLE!

Super-League XXIII Playoffs Pick 'em (For EC Teams Only)

Pick the Winners!

Smasher League Wildcard Game
Kobe Crows @ Portland Panderers

Dynamo League Wildcard Game
The Hague Honkbalers @ Motorville Mites

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Banner things!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 2, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pick the Winners!

Whoever's doing Post-Season Pick'em should probably re-post the rules.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick the Winners!

The Hague Honkbalers@ Motorville Mites

Let's Go Mighty Mites! (and the unconquerable evil)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd just like to draw attention to the Playoff Pick'em that's going on now. If you have an EC team, you basically have to take part in this, because you can win a draft pick with it, and it's a really good one. This can drastically improve your team, and it doesn't take a lot of effort to just look at the last few updates and figure out which teams are likely to win.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

TheMcD posted:

I'd just like to draw attention to the Playoff Pick'em that's going on now. If you have an EC team, you basically have to take part in this, because you can win a draft pick with it, and it's a really good one. This can drastically improve your team, and it doesn't take a lot of effort to just look at the last few updates and figure out which teams are likely to win.

Or just pick at random. Much like real baseball , weird poo poo happens all the time in this league

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Awww, drat.

Next season, DannoMack!

Anyway, someone. Anyone. Please beat the Pamderers. Then I will have won pick em and can acquire enough bullpen parts to banish Steve Cishek to the moon.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Let's go road teams!
Super-League XXIII Playoffs Pick 'em (For EC Teams Only)
[/quote]

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Pick the Winners!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Good choice of theme music for the Mites, Smasher.

No point in trying to get cute.
Red Faber, I entrust my season to your capable right arm.
Mike Megatheny, get back in the lineup, replacing Downing.
Steve Cishek, you can gently caress right off. Kimbrel to setup, Keefe to SR2, Jenkins to mopup, Cishek is off the playoff roster.
(If it helps, the bullpen should look like Ramos/Kimbrel/Laroche/Keefe/Tanana/Ryan)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

We're starting Old Pedro. I like McGinnity, but I think with the defense I'd be using to back him up, that'd be suicide. And Pedro is Pedro.

SS - Honus Wagner (R)
1B - Stan Musial (L)
C - Josh Gibson (R)
DH - Babe Ruth (L)
CF - Mickey Mantle (S)
3B - George Brett (L)
2B - Frankie Frisch (S)
RF - Roberto Clemente (R)
LF - Rickey Henderson (R)

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
Picking Portland and the Hankbalars

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Let's loving go the Kobe Crows

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Panderers, Honkbal

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Picking Them

Portland and Mites

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Remember only EC teams get the post-season pickems!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Remember only EC teams get the post-season pickems!

Well, I mean other people can make picks, they just can't get any points for them!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

tatankatonk posted:

Panderers, Honkbal

Um, you have an EC team?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I blame the fact that I just woke up from a nap!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Pick the Winners!

EDIT: Crows have a Ruth, gotta support Ruth.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

:siren: WHERE WE STAND IN THE PICK 'EM: :siren:

Assuming this is ALL CORRECT!!!

Fairgame has a huge lead near the end with 20 points left to distribute. However, due to the fact that the Vietnam Big Daddies are not going to the playoffs, Me, Shepard & The McD are mathematically out of the running.

TMMadman is the only one standing in fairgames way! So:

IF TOWA CITY DEMON HUNTERS WIN TOMORROW:

Fairgame wins the Pick 'Em no matter what happens in the Super League World Series

IF JOILET JAILBIRDS WIN TOMORROW

TMMadman can still win. However, the Panderers would need to win the World Series. This would put the final score at:

TMMadman - 142
Fairgame - 139

So that's your update. As always you can see the full spreadsheet for yourselves here.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 3, 2017

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

In regards to EC pick em: Please let it reflect that the finest lady in all the lands , KW0134 has agreed to log and score this year, thus freeing me from repeating last years blunder when I nearly hosed up and was about to give a pick to the wrong person until TKBomber pointed it out.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

HulkaMatt posted:

:siren: WHERE WE STAND IN THE PICK 'EM: :siren:

Assuming this is ALL CORRECT!!!

Fairgame has a huge lead near the end with 20 points left to distribute. However, due to the fact that the Vietnam Big Daddies are not going to the playoffs, Me, Shepard & The McD are mathematically out of the running.

TMMadman is the only one standing in fairgames way! So:

IF TOWA CITY DEMON HUNTERS WIN TOMORROW:

Fairgame wins the Pick 'Em no matter what happens in the Super League World Series

IF JOILET JAILBIRDS WIN TOMORROW

TMMadman can still win. However, the Panderers would need to win the World Series. This would put the final score at:

TMMadman - 142
Fairgame - 139

So that's your update. As always you can see the full spreadsheet for yourselves here.

Brb re simming tiebreaker

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FairGame posted:

Brb re simming tiebreaker

Oh, giving anxiety attacks to TMMadman wasn't good enough, now you've got to give me one too?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I have, in my infinite stupidity wisdom, have created a public spreadsheet to track all your various errors of judgment here. You can add comments if there's something awry. I will not guarantee I will read them.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The rested Chief Bender starts.

CF Tris Speaker
LF Volk Hammer
1B Jimmie Foxx (elder)
3B Jimmie Foxx (Younger)
C Mickey Cochrane
RF Hank Aaron
2B Lou Whitaker
SS Alan Trammell

YOURE GOING DOWN FAIRGAME

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TIEBREAKER: Punto Division

Because I wasn't paying adequate attention when I set up the league, the tiebreaker in the no-DH league is a 3-game series. So let's play 3 games and see what happens!

The Joliet Jailbirds have, in my estimation, vastly overperformed this season. They're not a bad team by any stretch, but they got some seriously unsustainable pitching performances--most notably from Ramon Martinez. On the other hand, Pedro Martinez sucked this season so I guess it all evens out.

Anyway, it's a team with a lot of righthanded power and a lot of fly ball pitching. They're probably at a disadvantage in this series because their opponent is designed to hit righthanded homers. I mean, so are the Jailbirds, but I figure their fly ball staff is gonna be more prone to giving up dingers than the literally ancient deadballers that TheMcD is trotting out.

If the Jailbirds lose, it'd be a pretty impressive choke job, what with them having had like a 14 game lead earlier this season.

The Towa City Demonhunters consistently confuse me because I think it says Iowa City. And then I think of cfballa, and wish he were more active. Anyway, you all know TheMcD: the owner of the Despair, who nearly brought the league to ruin, and now has sworn to never again let anyone summon a Schilling, lest they be murdered and their stadium rent asunder.

The Demonhunters surged late in the season, led largely by Will White, a Super Draft pick who looks like a huge goddamn nerd in his picture. It's a pretty good roster and one I think could compete in the Super League. But they have to go through the Jailbirds first.

Unless they promote anyway because of the extra spot, but we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

This one was over before it even got started. The Jailbirds hung 6 on the Demonhunters before there was even a second out in the second inning. It actually might've been worse, but Mike Piazza and Hank Aaron both made TOOTBLANs for the inning's second and third outs.

Didn't matter much. Gary Sheffield tried to make a game out of it with a two run homer, but it wasn't enough. The Demonhunters are now in quite a bit of trouble, having lost their one home game and now needing to win back-to-back games in Joliet to stay alive.

Well...they accomplished part 1, at least. This one was back-and-forth throughout, with the Demonhunters jumping Bret Saberhagen early with a first inning blitz that included two home run by Gary Sheffield (separate Sheffields, mind.)

Rogers Hornsby knocked a two-run shot in the third to make it 5-3 and keep the Jailbirds in it.

For whatever reason, the AI decided to keep Saberhagen in the game down 5-3 in the fourth with the bases loaded, but he singled and kept the line moving. Eventually the inning would end with the Jailbirds on top 7-5 after Aaron singled home two with the bases loaded.

Buster Posey brought it back to 7-6, screaming "YOU DON'T NEED FOXX" as he did id.

Aaron tripled home Frank Robinson in the 6th to tie it at 7. They eventually got it to 9-7 heading into the 8th.

Facing elimination, the Demonhunters turned to Jonathan Papelbon for a two-inning save. He got two outs into it before Hornsby tied it at 9.

The disappointment was short-lived, though, as Robb Nen got touched up for a scratch run (2 Ks, an infield single, a stolen base, a bloop single) to put the Demonhunters back ahead 10-9.

Joliet loaded the bases in the 9th but couldn't cash in, with consecutive shallow fly balls from Eddie Mathews and Ernie Banks.

Fittingly, this race that came down to the wire is going to go to a decisive Game 3.

AND THEY FINALLY DIDN'T BLOW IT!

Juan Marichal didn't allow a hit until the 5th inning, and keyed the 4-run rally that put the game out of reach. He'd go the distance with a CGSO.

The Joliet Jailbirds are Punto Division champions and will promote to the Super League. TheMcD: you're still stuck with me, unless you end up getting that empty spot. Either way, I'd be pretty happy with how your team turned out and I'd also be optimistic about my chances next season.

PLAYOFFS FROM HERE ON IN
The Jailbirds have 2 days off before starting a 2-3-2 at the Brooklyn Giants. Days off for travel.
Saberhagen: would pitch Game 1 on 3 days' rest
Marichal: would pitch Game 1 on 2 days' rest
Anyone else: full rest

The Giants host the Jailbirds for a 2-3-2. Days off for travel.
All pitchers are fully rested.

The Sharks host the Machineguns for a 2-3-2. Days off for travel.

The Machineguns travel to Shelbyville for a 2-3-2. Days off for travel.

:siren: I will sim this Monday evening. Have your plans in by then.

EC TEAMS!
Pick them!
Pick the winner (1 point), number of games (3 points), and final score of the final game (up to 10 points; someone else can explain)
1.) Mexico City Machineguns at Shelbyville Sharks
2.) Joliet Jailbirds at Brooklyn Giants

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So my deadballers got dingered to death. Sure. Why not.

Anyway, anybody got some decent 1800s pitchers to trade me? I've got these two Jack Powells burning a hole in my pocket with their not-conforming-to-my-gimmick-ness.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i'll start the gofundme to buy smasher dynamo the biggest loving Imperial bottle of wine we can afford, he's gonna need it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
EC TEAMS!
Pick them!

1.) Machineguns with a 5-2 in the sixth game.
2.) Giants with a 3-2 in the seventh game.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick'em: EC Playoff Edition

Machineguns in 5 games with the final win being scored 7-3
Giants in 6 games with the final win being scored 6-3

Assuming Sub-par playoffs are best of seven.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

1.) Mexico City Machineguns at Shelbyville Sharks 5-2 in game 7
2.) Joliet Jailbirds at Brooklyn Giants 7-6 in game 6

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
WOOHOO! PUNTO DIVISION CHAMPS!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheMcD posted:

So my deadballers got dingered to death. Sure. Why not.

Anyway, anybody got some decent 1800s pitchers to trade me? I've got these two Jack Powells burning a hole in my pocket with their not-conforming-to-my-gimmick-ness.

You couldn't stop the power of Black and White Frank Thomas combined on one team. There is no shame in losing to the unity they bring to a team and soon the world!

Good series and season McD. And a good season to all the other Punto teams, we were the best and hardest division in the league and I never sat conformable even when I had a 10+ game lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Picking Them

Sharks in 6, 7-4.
Jailbirds in 5, 5-2.