Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chris Knight posted:

So, Consumer's Distributing? :v:

Yes except that they actually had stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is Start any better than Teksavvy these days, or will it not matter who's 150/250 package I pick?
Also, do either of them and/or Rogers traffic shape streaming upload? I can't do a decent quality at all.

I've already done all I can do on my router's end, with respect to prioritizing traffic on specific devices.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Start seems to care more about routing performance and has never been known to oversell. None of the major independent ISPs traffic shape upload and neither does Rogers as far as I know.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've been with Start for 3-4 years now and they've been the loving best. Great support, they actually follow up and it's pretty rare to ever need it anyway. I think I've had 2 total outages that were unrelated to the incumbent itself going down.

I needed help troubleshooting a really weird routing issue and a first level support tech there was able to help me pinning it down. I used to work NOC at UUNet a long time ago and this was something well above her pay grade.

I wish just one of the incumbents was as well run as Start is.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Ayyyy Telus tried to traffic shape out a large portion of p2p traffic and ended up nuking my node last night for about 45mins. I love ISPs that sell you bandwidth then expect you to not use it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ayyyy Telus tried to traffic shape out a large portion of p2p traffic and ended up nuking my node last night for about 45mins. I love ISPs that sell you bandwidth then expect you to not use it.

I don't think they're legally allowed to do this any more?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EngineerJoe posted:

Pretty sure Rogers was caught doing it at least twice, no reason Telus can't too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

What are you going to do, complain to their lobbyist?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Powershift posted:

What are you going to do, complain to their lobbyist?

You could call their call centre and be upsold!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bell whistleblower confirms what we've all known to be true for years.

quote:

A longtime Bell Canada employee describes working in the company's Scarborough, Ont., call centre as "a non-stop nightmare," where she says she is forced to sell customers products they don't need, don't want, and may not understand, to hit sales targets and keep her job.

She says she talked a 90-year-old into signing up for internet service knowing the woman was blind and couldn't use it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dasani whistleblower confirms water is wet.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I've been with Start for 3-4 years now and they've been the loving best. Great support, they actually follow up and it's pretty rare to ever need it anyway. I think I've had 2 total outages that were unrelated to the incumbent itself going down.

Really the best is the call the day after you receive your modem or move. I've done a move with them a few times and that call from someone just making sure you're online and okay is really nice.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

priznat posted:

I remember the rough and tumble days of all the tiny independent retailers prior to NCIX being dominant. ATIC was probably the largest but it was loving terrible.

Go into one of these places to buy a stick or two of RAM and they would rummage around in a drawer and come out with some not in a bag or nothin. Then the next week the store would be gone or named something completely different. It was another time.. ~sagely smokes a pipe, looks wistfully into the middle distance~

gently caress where am I gonna get the case for my new build now god dammit

I remember my dad being endlessly confused when we bought an Antec case from Anitec. They had a crappy little store on kingsway next to an aquarium store or something (I forget what exactly), upgraded to a fancy new store further up on kingsway, and were out of business not too long after.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
When I was young, a friend's dad owned a small computer store. For reasons that baffle me to this day, he moved from a nice corner shop just outside of the downtown core, to a storefront smack dab in the middle of Richmond Row-- the place to go for expensive clothes, booze, and food. I think he lasted there a year, maybe, before selling it to a guy who had absolutely no idea what he was doing. That guy folded in less than a year.

Today? Sure, maybe he could have sold overpriced laptops to unsuspecting students. In 1993? No.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I remember when I used to stare at overpriced computer gear at Compucentre at the mall...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EngineerJoe posted:

I remember when I used to stare at overpriced computer gear at Compucentre at the mall...

Hah just a few weeks ago I did a web search for Compucentre due to nostalgia and came across a webpage that was probably 20 years old for a compucentre store, I forget the location. It was like an archeological artifact and I wonder if some server was just sitting somewhere forgotten and it served up the pages for the first time in forever.

Had a teal colour scheme, I will check my history when I get home and see if I can dig it up.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yes please... Sounds fascinating

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sarcasm hurts :mad:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

priznat posted:

I wasn't kidding!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

I wasn't kidding!

Haha I thought for sure. I had a Compucentre I would go to and chat with the employees, they’d even give me the old computer mags after tearing the covers off to send back.

Eaton’s Centre Victoria, it was right where I would transfer busses on my way home from school so would always go in to check out the stuff.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

priznat posted:

I too long to see a US Robotics external modem, under glass, marked up to impossibly high levels.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Masonville Place, back when the NES was new and the Apple II walked the land. They had 90% of the software behind glass, with the spine out, so god help you if you wanted to browse.

Bought my first Voodoo board there, eventually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Here's the site:

http://pages.pacificcoast.net/~compucentre/homepage.html

It's pretty funny how there are a lot of these zombie webpages just out there being hosted on god knows what.

e: oh man even the links/search engine page is like a time capsule to the late 90s.

priznat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 23, 2017

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

Masonville Place, back when the NES was new and the Apple II walked the land. They had 90% of the software behind glass, with the spine out, so god help you if you wanted to browse.

Bought my first Voodoo board there, eventually.

What the hell was that store called? CompuTrend was around the corner by the McDonalds, but there was a larger franchise there.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

NCIX is still sending out email newsletters full of deals, so that seems weird.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

odiv posted:

NCIX is still sending out email newsletters full of deals, so that seems weird.

Yeah meanwhile I can’t get any responses regarding my order, I offered to change it to ship to me and now I am asking to just cancel it. CC chargeback is slowly working its way, they said it should take about 10 days to get credited.

I’ll sure as poo poo never deal with ncix or any of their spinoffs again that’s for sure.

Also their twitter account is acting like all is normal too, it’s weird. I guess they just shrunk down and are continuing without the locations like before (for now..)

Rest in piss ncix.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That's basically what any retailer does until they declare bankruptcy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

That's basically what any retailer does until they declare bankruptcy.

Yeah it is a strange slow death vs shut it all down, but I guess they figure they can wring some cash out before the creditors tear them to shreds.

It seems really shady though promoting stuff when at any moment the roof could cave in and catch people who ordered stuff totally off guard.

I had no idea it was this bad with them because I don’t read rfd forums or whatever, I thought they were just pulling back from ontario expansion. Would have never ordered if I had known. I’ll get my money back but what a hassle.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

priznat posted:

Yeah it is a strange slow death vs shut it all down, but I guess they figure they can wring some cash out before the creditors tear them to shreds.

The way it's done properly is to start selling poo poo at slowly growing discounts, and not ordering replenishment stock because it's usually more expensive in terms of storage, man-hours, and transport costs to move it to different locations, and liquidators usually sell it off for literally pennies on the dollar. Sounds like they're not bothering to deal with the proper operations involved with not getting replenishment stock.

It's a shame. NCIX was where I bought my first SSD, it was a dud, and the RMA process was god-damned painless.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Some posts on reddit are announcing that NCIX declared bankruptcy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/comments/7h0g4k/psa_it_seems_netlink_computer_inc_aka_ncix_has/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaWSinw4MI&t=2493s

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

8ender posted:

What the hell was that store called? CompuTrend was around the corner by the McDonalds, but there was a larger franchise there.

In the mall? That was CompuCentre, with orange 'digital' lettering over the doorway.

God, CompuTrend was so much nicer to shop at. Bigger, with stock on accessible shelves...

Then there was the Steals People, in one of those big storefronts on Wellington. Computer stuff, in a store the size of a small Wal-Mart! Cheap as hell floppies, boxes of tractor feed paper the size of a small child, hardware and software at decent prices...

...and then it imploded when the owner drained the accounts and ran off to somewhere in the Far East.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone remember Doppler computer stores from the late 90s/early 00s? They were pretty great for computer geeks from a browsing perspective although the little independents always had better prices.

They were around and then just disappeared it seemed like overnight.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I always loved those little hole in the wall hardware and software stores. You could always find weird poo poo in them. Software Etc, Babbages, etc etc.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I found a boxed copy of Discworld Noir in one of those little places. I'm pretty sure the only MSRP listed on the box was in GBP, and it was such an obscure title, so I still wonder how it got there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Whelp, that's too bad.

Glad I ordered the 1080ti through Amazon :buddy:

mewse
May 2, 2006

slidebite posted:

Whelp, that's too bad.

Glad I ordered the 1080ti through Amazon :buddy:

It was really interesting for me to hear Linus's take on the retail industry at that time: they knew amazon was coming so they needed something that would get them bought out down the road. Truly unfortunate news, I've been an NCIX customer for like 15 years

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Still waiting on my mastercard chargeback :sigh:

Should go through but the waiting sucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Same, but over 20. It is too bad. I should go through my old NCIX order confirmations and add up the $$ I've spend there in the 20 years. Probably built 5-7 hardcore, mainstream power systems for myself, 3-4 mom/grandma computers, various other hardware bits and pieces. $20K-$30K would probably by my guess.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Shaw, stop rebooting your loving CMTSes twice every other night. Some of us on Vancouver Island aren't old folks in bed by 5pm :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
My Shaw is down too in the North