Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
It works on a locked mac. After the trick has been enabled.

Sooooo, don't leave your mac unlocked and you're fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It works on a locked mac. After the trick has been enabled.

Sooooo, don't leave your mac unlocked and you're fine?

"After the trick has been enabled" means if a root account is not created and the login screen allows for arbitrary usernames instead of selecting a profile icon as far as i can tell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm out with the flu. I finally surface for some soup and to feed the animals, and this is blowing up my Twitts.

https://twitter.com/lemiorhan/status/935581020774117381

On the plus (sorta) side, for most people it requires physical access. HOWEVER, if screen sharing is enabled, welp. The fix is easy, just set a god drat password for 'root' in terminal.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wait 2 hours. Someone on Twitter will RCE it through VNC or whatnot.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Diva Cupcake posted:

The yospos thread is already working on scripting it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Pretty sure VNC was already confirmed on twitter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, if you have screen sharing on, it will work.

A few more details I've found:

If you already enabled a root account and it has a password you're fine.

You have to do the initial exploit in System Prefs>Users It actually creates the password-less root account. So everyone rushing to test this has already self-owned.

System Prefs is the only place macOS will actually create the account if it's missing. However user level of the account trying this doesn't matter.

It will work on the logon screen if you have it set to force entering a User ID. If you just use the account picker 'root' won't be an option.

Setting a password will fix the issue.

EDIT:
Use this to see if you already have a 'root' account enabled
code:
dscl . list /Users | grep -v '^_'
If you do, try to logon with no password to see if you need to set one.

NVM. I are stupid with the user list. Root will still show up if it's disabled. Just give it a password.
Use this to set one:
code:
sudo passwd -u root

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 29, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Apple just released this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

mewse
May 2, 2006

:confused:

"Apple, anybody can access the root account in your operating system"

"You're using it wrong"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

"You're using it wrong"

Are you really surprised, it's Apple

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mewse posted:

"You're using it wrong"

That's not a "you're using it wrong" response. That's a "there's a bug and this is how to mitigate until we release a patch". Really this is for all the people who self-owned by "testing" the exploit like idiots without thinking through the consequences. There's almost no need to enable root, so Apple had to release this KB for everyone who did this today.

However the fact Root can access macOS remotely via VNC/Screen Share is asinine. If you have "Remote Access" enabled for ssh/sftp, make sure this line is in your /etc/ssh/ssh_config under the "Host *" section toward the bottom.

code:
       PermitRootLogin no

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

That's not a "you're using it wrong" response. That's a "there's a bug and this is how to mitigate until we release a patch".
I don't see anything about bugs or mitigation on that page.

Especially this:

quote:

You should disable the root user after completing your task.
Screws you over in regards to the bug.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You're right it doesn't. I just saw today's date for the publication. I have a feeling the inset text at the top is an edit and they gave it a new KB ID.

I'm not trying a defend them specifically, because this is a bonehead bug. But trying to conflate with "you're holding it wrong" is a little weird. In terms of UNIX/Linux you absolutely are doing it wrong if root is enabled.

That being said, Apple completely hosed up re: the root account in general long before this was found. The root account exists (and has to) before this bug was found, and as is standard practice disabled. The idiocy from Apple is they left the loving password blank. So even if that Pref Pane exploit was done, root should have already had a randomly generated password in place.

Dylan16807 posted:

Especially this:

quote:

You should disable the root user after completing your task.
Screws you over in regards to the bug.

Nah. Once you set a password, even if root gets re-enabled that password is there. It's still bad that root is enabled, but not anywhere near as end of the world as having the password be NULL.

EDIT AGAIN: I just re-enabled it going through the Directory Utility and it prompts me to set a password when I enable. That tells me when you disable root, it clears the password back to NULL. So you are absolutely correct, Dylan.

WHAT THE loving poo poo, APPLE.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 29, 2017

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Proteus Jones posted:

this is for all the people who self-owned by "testing" the exploit like idiots without thinking through the consequences.
Casting folks just trying to determine whether they're susceptible to an exploit as "idiots" for not realizing the nature of the problem is kind of mean-spirited. Most of the time exploits are a binary, it works and you're at risk or it doesn't and you're not, situation.

Security is hard enough without giving users more reasons to dislike/distrust us wonk types!

quote:

However the fact Root can access macOS remotely via VNC/Screen Share is asinine. If you have "Remote Access" enabled for ssh/sftp, make sure this line is in your /etc/ssh/ssh_config under the "Host *" section toward the bottom.

code:
       PermitRootLogin no
I'm not sure modifying /etc/ssh/ssh_config's default host stanza is going to prevent remote attackers from accessing SSH/SFTP as root :v:

Presumably you meant to modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config, but at least as of my Sierra system, PermitRootLogin defaults to prohibit-password which should mean users are not at risk for this problem via SSH unless they manually edited the file to say yes, in which case I rescind my "for the users!" spiel above and that person probably is an idiot :doh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bitprophet posted:

Casting folks just trying to determine whether they're susceptible to an exploit as "idiots" for not realizing the nature of the problem is kind of mean-spirited. Most of the time exploits are a binary, it works and you're at risk or it doesn't and you're not, situation.

Security is hard enough without giving users more reasons to dislike/distrust us wonk types!

I'm not sure modifying /etc/ssh/ssh_config's default host stanza is going to prevent remote attackers from accessing SSH/SFTP as root :v:

Presumably you meant to modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config, but at least as of my Sierra system, PermitRootLogin defaults to prohibit-password which should mean users are not at risk for this problem via SSH unless they manually edited the file to say yes, in which case I rescind my "for the users!" spiel above and that person probably is an idiot :doh:

No you're right, idiot was too strong.

I did typo the config file and looked in the wrong one. I just looked at the last entry and told everyone to append that at the bottom. The file it should have been is as bitprophet said.

I'm not a fan of leaving any root access, but the default setting will guard against ssh being susceptible to root. I do recommend setting it to 'no'. There's zero reason to ever log in remotely as root. If you need to something administratively, use an admin account and sudo.

If anyone wants to change PermitRootLogin, you can either uncomment the parameter and change it to no, or append PermitRootLogin no to the end of the file. I recommend the end of the file, since leaving the commented params in place let's you know what the machine defaults are.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Secfuck thread posted a low-level explanation of what the gently caress is going on with the Apple exploit. It's an interesting read, and explains why if you set a password and then disable root why it in essence "resets" to NULL if you use the exploit again.

Qwijib0 posted:

deeper dive into why the macOS bug works

https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x24.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Heard on a call: "we run advanced antivirus to stop the majority of threats"

:smithicide:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, to be fair, they did say it was advanced.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOUfkK08e24

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Security Update 2017-0001 is out for High Sierra and fixes the exploit.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208315

I just tested it and the exploit no longer works.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, to be fair, they did say it was advanced.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm remembering this, tyvm

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gives a whole new meaning to APT.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
The fix apparently breaks file sharing.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

PBS posted:

The fix apparently breaks file sharing.

Probably because you could do the root login remotely.

I remember one of the root escalations macOD had at one point took advantge of the fact root did all device mounts which then passed it back with the permissions of the original user.

It was a race exploit where you constantly mounted and unmounted devices while creating symbolic links to it while root did the work and you could sometimes get a link to a root level /dev for a moment which you instantly slammed in a root shell using those privs.

Edit: this was the exploit with bash code. You run it as any user and you would eventually break out with root shell. https://phoenhex.re/2017-06-09/pwn2own-diskarbitrationd-privesc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those of you who have to use EMET, what are you replacing it with after end of life next year?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Security center has pretty much 100% of the functionality baked in to the OS with the fall creators update. For legacy systems, Symantec baked EMET-like functionality in to the AV client so we'll use that until those systems get retired.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 1, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/cabel/status/936814667908841473

Applol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Apple apparently has to issue yet another fix for passwordless root. It also happened to Linux a few days ago, where the patch to fix Dirty COW had its own CVE issued.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 2, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lolnux

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lolit
Reply is not edit

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I was just :smugbert:ing at the owner of my company talking about how ios is so much more secure than android

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I was just :smugbert:ing at the owner of my company talking about how ios is so much more secure than android
does :smugbert: include knowing that ios and osx are different?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You shouldn't ask questions for which the answers are plain, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Anyone know what this is about?

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/937330626516213761

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
You haven't heard about the macOS High Sierra root exploit?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

anthonypants posted:

You haven't heard about the macOS High Sierra root exploit?

Oh, it's about that one?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It bears mention that the person who posted it on Twitter wasn't the first to have found/posted about it on Twitter, let alone on the broader internet as there was a post about it on Apples own support forum a lot earlier.
So either Infosec Taylor Swift is referring to something else, or is too busy with hot takes that are quickly turning luke-warm to let facts bother them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

So either Infosec Taylor Swift is referring to something else, or is too busy with hot takes that are quickly turning luke-warm to let facts bother them.
Yeah, that's a real mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How bad is Bluetooth in a home environment? I would really like to have headphones that don’t involve me constantly rolling over the cable, but I hate the idea of making my network less secure.

Actually, my wife already uses a Bluetooth speaker, so the horse is already out of the barn isn’t it?