Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hey me too. I Love working night shift.

Please kill me now. Been up 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol you pigs squeal real good when you miss a night of sleep

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol you pigs squeal real good when you miss a night of sleep

not complaining you have any idea how much pensionable overtime I made

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
0 because you work in a city and state that is dipping into pension funds to pay bills lol owned idiot

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

uncle w benefits posted:

0 because you work in a city and state that is dipping into pension funds to pay bills lol owned idiot

Poast of the year. Highly recommended. A+++++ would read again.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

uncle w benefits posted:

lmfao 20 lb trigger profits

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Shep posted:

Poast of the year. Highly recommended. A+++++ would read again.

oh Shep you'd light yourself on fire if fox news says it would be good for the rich wouldn't you

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I was reading sheps favorite blog second city cop and they were complaining that CPD was trying to fire an officer who posted memes about shooting Muslims on his Facebook account. My kinda place imo

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hey Shep you can't deduct your union dues or school taxes but the rich got a massive tax break and can deduxt private school tuition

Shep: I'm just happy to do my part as an American, let me go to me second job of licking the boots of my wealthy masters for less than minimum wage it's what I deserve

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Smiling Jack posted:

hey Shep you can't deduct your union dues or school taxes but the rich got a massive tax break and can deduxt private school tuition

Shep: I'm just happy to do my part as an American, let me go to me second job of licking the boots of my wealthy masters for less than minimum wage it's what I deserve

Hey now, don't kinkshame

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Smiling Jack posted:

Second job? You make more money than anyone in this thread probably lmao maybe stop spending all of it on che guevara shirts and soy lattes.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

I was reading sheps favorite blog second city cop and they were complaining that CPD was trying to fire an officer who posted memes about shooting Muslims on his Facebook account. My kinda place imo

Post a link and I'll break it down for you in kindergarten terms so you can understand

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I come out of post retirement for two lovely negs? I'm losing my draw. I know you libtard shitheels can do better than this.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Shep posted:

Second job? You make more money than anyone in this thread probably lmao maybe stop spending all of it on che guevara shirts and soy lattes.

well now that I cant deduct state and local taxes my property values gonna plummet and my local schools are going to sink to Okalahoma / Kansas levels of funding

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Shep posted:

I come out of post retirement for two lovely negs? I'm losing my draw. I know you libtard shitheels can do better than this.

Libtard? Seriously, that's what you've got? Go back to ARFCOM or the SCC comments section. :lol:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Shep you can stay its cool

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Shep posted:

kinda weak Shep tbh

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

also your reading comprehension sucks I was saying you had a second job

I mean your critical thinking generally blows, you vote Republican

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
this thread sucks lately

*doesnt contribute at all*

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Discussion > Internet VFW > Thin Blue Falcon

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

ONE oval office WOLF PACK posted:

this thread sucks latelyed for years

*doesnt contribute at all*

FTFY.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Smiling Jack posted:

also your reading comprehension sucks I was saying you had a second job

I mean your critical thinking generally blows, you vote Republican

haha wow zing! This LIEberal probably got this from a FREE community college associates degree!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lol if your department requires a degree. Or a high school diploma.

Just... lolsob

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

60 college credits or 2 years active military.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

...GED.

Edit: we had an annual education incentive bonus for degrees, but that disappeared with budget cuts half a decade ago. Now 2/3rds of the department has less than 3 years experience, and most of the degree holders have jumped ship to the neighboring agencies or (loving lol) the military. I made more as an E-4 than cops here with a decade on the job.

I'm a reserve cop with 16 months on the job. I patrol maybe 24 hours a week. But I'm somehow considered more experienced, and reliable than no-poo poo fulltime officers. Fuuuck, dude.

Doubleedit: we lost like 7 officers this year, and gained 3 rookies. One of them is probably going to fail FTO. We regularly have 6 officers and 2 sergeants patrolling a city of 70K with a higher violent crime rate than Chicago. Reserve cops can patrol independently with no partner. poo poo's crazy, yo.

Tripleedit: when my FTO committed suicide, we couldn't let his buddies take off for the funeral because there would be nobody on the streets for C shift.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 3, 2017

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
The air farce requires commander approval for second jobs. I can't imagine any commander giving the ok to be a reserve cop.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

uncle w benefits posted:

The air farce requires commander approval for second jobs. I can't imagine any commander giving the ok to be a reserve cop.

Good thing it's not a "job." I've never accepted a paycheck (but I do get a lot of free food). I got my CC's approval back before I attended the police academy, that was all. She probably thought it would be ceremonial poo poo like running traffic at funerals. Little did she realize how desperate my city is for manpower.

But I have some bitchin' volunteer bullets on the last couple EPRs and 1297s, to the tune of 400 vol hours a year and saving dudes' lives.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
But you're a fully sword peace officer? With full police powers?

Are you reserve or active AF?

Also you might get that weird volunteer medal that I got in the 'gan. I haven't seen too many of those.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yes, I'm a sworn peace officer, but there are restrictions. Under the applicable laws for reserve cops in my neck of the woods, I am only considered to be a peace officer when I'm wearing my uniform. This is a key distinction, because full-time officers retain full police authority when they're off the clock (ex. authority to arrest for misdemeanors). I'm 100% okay with that, because trying to police off duty is a terrible idea.

When I'm on duty, I wear the same uniform and carry the same equipment and weapons as the full-time guys, and I have the same authority to enact warrantless arrests (to include misdemeanor arrests), issue citations, investigate crimes, etc etc. I usually ride with a full-time officer for a partner, but if I'm working on my own, I just sign out a patrol car from the pool. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's usually 6 or 7 full-time guys patrolling the whole city, so they're super tight-knit, and they've all been real cool about training me and letting me ride with them. If I want a quiet night, I'll ride with an officer in a middle class residential district. Eight hours of hanging out in the car bullshitting, with the occasional loud music complaint or traffic stop. If I want to wrestle a methhead or break up a crack den, I'll ride out in the ghetto.

It's... fun? I only do this a couple nights a week, so it's basically a hobby. Gets me out of the house. Sometimes I get to drive real fast and fight people.

The Air Force is reassigning me to Korea next month. I can't say I'll be sorry to leave my day job, but I'll miss being a cop, even just a reserve cop.

E: active AF, to answer your question.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
gently caress. Well see if you can take care of that whole north korea situation before my son turns 18 🧐

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Arc Light posted:

Yes, I'm a sworn peace officer, but there are restrictions. Under the applicable laws for reserve cops in my neck of the woods, I am only considered to be a peace officer when I'm wearing my uniform. This is a key distinction, because full-time officers retain full police authority when they're off the clock (ex. authority to arrest for misdemeanors). I'm 100% okay with that, because trying to police off duty is a terrible idea.

When I'm on duty, I wear the same uniform and carry the same equipment and weapons as the full-time guys, and I have the same authority to enact warrantless arrests (to include misdemeanor arrests), issue citations, investigate crimes, etc etc. I usually ride with a full-time officer for a partner, but if I'm working on my own, I just sign out a patrol car from the pool. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's usually 6 or 7 full-time guys patrolling the whole city, so they're super tight-knit, and they've all been real cool about training me and letting me ride with them. If I want a quiet night, I'll ride with an officer in a middle class residential district. Eight hours of hanging out in the car bullshitting, with the occasional loud music complaint or traffic stop. If I want to wrestle a methhead or break up a crack den, I'll ride out in the ghetto.

It's... fun? I only do this a couple nights a week, so it's basically a hobby. Gets me out of the house. Sometimes I get to drive real fast and fight people.

The Air Force is reassigning me to Korea next month. I can't say I'll be sorry to leave my day job, but I'll miss being a cop, even just a reserve cop.

E: active AF, to answer your question.

lol, your entire watch is the size of my squad

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I wasnt being lovely, im just thoroughly surprised your squadron is ok with you being a part time cop.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

uncle w benefits posted:

I wasnt being lovely, im just thoroughly surprised your squadron is ok with you being a part time cop.

My AF commander at the time was cool as hell.

The new one probably wouldn't have given me the okay to join, but I guess he figured it was too late to do anything. I may have also compiled a list of equipment violations applicable to squadron officers' vehicles, and pointed out that it was a really great thing that the city police dept wasn't looking for excuses to pull them over and cite them.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

uncle w benefits posted:

Our reservists have to ride along with a full time guy, unless they’re former LEO and came back as a reservist.

Even then they don’t ever take a report or any kind of serious call, just open locked car doors and back up other units and poo poo. It’s a cheap (free) way to get some extra bodies out there for Mardi Gras and other poo poo like that.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

That's the smart way to do it. Reserves in my dept can patrol independently, provided that we've gone through FTO phase.

We have dudes who patrol on their own, but only ride out once or twice a month. That's nowhere near enough to keep the skills fresh. It's a liability nightmare waiting to happen. But it's what happens when the city population grows while the size of the dept shrinks.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Remember that reservist who walked up to a handcuffed dude and capped him, then was all like "oops"? Reserve officers everywhere should be fired or hired. Part time doesn't cut it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I understand the practical need to use reservists, and I understand the desire to be a cop. I just can't fathom wanting to be an unpaid part-time cop. As far as volunteer work goes, that's a hell of a liability-fraught area to choose to volunteer in your community.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
At least with volunteer firefighter, the only real threat you pose is to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

uncle w benefits posted:

At least with volunteer firefighter, the only real threat you pose is to yourself.

and you get laid because people actually like firefighters