Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrNutt posted:

I like the new Tomb Raiders a lot, but Chloe Frazier is a better Lara Croft than actual Lara Croft.

Claudia Black and Laura Bailey both sound like they were having a great time, inasmuch as you can show that through voice acting + mocap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I want to replace my original PS4 hard drive. Does 5400 vs 7200 RPM make any real difference?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FBS posted:

I want to replace my original PS4 hard drive. Does 5400 vs 7200 RPM make any real difference?

No. Even a ssd is negligible. It's better. But in 1-2 seconds a load. Not 10 seconds a load

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 2, 2017

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

rabidsquid posted:

where is this at all i can find is sketchy as gently caress sites

It's on the PS Store.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

No. Even a ssd is negligible. It's better. But in 1-2 seconds a load. Not 10 seconds a load

An SSD does reduce pop-in, that's the bigger advantage than a few seconds of faster loading. That said, probably not worth it unless you're crazy like me.

A 7200 RPM drive is bound to have faster random access, but the difference is negligible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FBS posted:

Bombadilillo posted:

This depends on if you have a Pro or not. For a default PS4, no real difference. For a Pro, your best bet for the price is a big SSHD.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Seedge posted:

It's on the PS Store.

I think this might be a regional difference because I checked and there is no soundtrack for rez on the na store, free or otherwise

it does seem to be a part of the digital deluxe dlc bundle but it's not available by itself

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

To clarify: on a pro, you can see substantial gains with an SSD or hybrid drive (>20 sec) in some games, if that wasn't clear.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/PS4-Pro-SSD-Upgrade-Does-SATA-III-Make-Difference

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

apparently kojima got him custom made chopsticks or something

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:laffo: This fucker traded up.

Is that an actual account or the replacement for the soon-to-be-dead Kaz Hirai CEO twitter?

DrNutt posted:

I like the new Tomb Raiders a lot, but Chloe Frazier is a better Lara Croft than actual Lara Croft.

Totally. Though I didn't think the chemistry between Nadine and Chloe was actually all that strong.

Waltzing Along posted:

I saw this great video about Dark Souls (and Undertale) the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWWz7-8C6I8

It's kinda long so just watch the beginning and then from 56:10.

I think he nails it pretty well.

This guy is far more annoying than the fan bases he's describing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Watrick posted:

Now that all the hype about Undertale is over, how is it? I've avoided everything about it except that there is some goat lady and she is important.

I gave Knights of Valour a go last night for about 10 minutes. Man, that game feels stiff. I think they wanted to go for Dungeon Fighter and they missed the mark hard.

I’ll say that it’s a pretty good game, probably one of the better ones released in the past five years but it’s all about perspective. This is a retro-style RPG in the same sort of spirit as something like Earthbound where combat takes the form of a timing game and a bullet hell. You can spare or kill every enemy in the game and accordingly that changes the story. There are three main routes (a pacifist route, a “genocide”
Route, and a “neutral” route that contains probably a dozen ending variations depending on who you do or do not spare)

If that type of game sounds like it would appeal to you, then I would recommend it without reservation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:laffo: This fucker traded up.

Is that an actual account or the replacement for the soon-to-be-dead Kaz Hirai CEO twitter?\

That one is a parody account but you can just go to the real Kojima account to find all the Mads pics you could ask for

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/936585430538993664

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh man, Mads' eyes are just lighting up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know hybrid drives are better bang for the buck but I feel like splurging, maybe. Are any SSDs particularly good/compatible with the PS4 Pro?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SSD are still underutilized on the pro. The advantage would be that it has a long life span, is less warm and loads a little bit faster than sshd. Maybe a 500/1000gb one for the internal and use a large external for games you haven't played recently.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I suppose I more meant if any manufacturers/models are problematic. I remember that being a thing with SSDs for PCs early on.

The only SSHD my Fry's has (they're doing a shopwide discount thing this weekend) is a Seagate Firecuda 2TB for $90 in store, I have no idea if Seagate is good or not. Or even what an SSHD really is besides a traditional disk with a large cache :v:

(e) Other reason I'd be ok with an SSD being, I don't have 'net caps and don't mind redownloading games while I do something else if I'm switching my playlist around.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 3, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Lot of people on friends list playing Seven Days to Die. Is that any good on the PS4 then?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay, this game looks goddamn amazing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I suppose I more meant if any manufacturers/models are problematic. I remember that being a thing with SSDs for PCs early on.

The only SSHD my Fry's has (they're doing a shopwide discount thing this weekend) is a Seagate Firecuda 2TB for $90 in store, I have no idea if Seagate is good or not. Or even what an SSHD really is besides a traditional disk with a large cache :v:

(e) Other reason I'd be ok with an SSD being, I don't have 'net caps and don't mind redownloading games while I do something else if I'm switching my playlist around.

That's the top rated SSHD for use in a Pro. I just installed one myself in my new Pro. Be a FireCuda bro with me, you know you want that sweet sweet 2TB.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842457&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Yes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fuzz posted:

That's the top rated SSHD for use in a Pro. I just installed one myself in my new Pro. Be a FireCuda bro with me, you know you want that sweet sweet 2TB.

Yeah alright, firecuda buddies it is :hfive:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah alright, firecuda buddies it is :hfive:

I ended up getting the 2TB Firecuda for my regular PS4 since it was just :10bux: more than the regular 2TB at Micro Center

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The FireCuda is a lovely HDD with shingled recording (super slow for writing/changing data) and a tiny SSD cache of 8 GB. But there isn't really any other choice, so might as well get that one. You won't be disappointed.

SSDs are great against pop in/facilitate faster texture loading, any cheap one will be good enough for a PS4 Pro. But very much overkill.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Undertale is a bit like nier in the sense that it is a good game that is largely defined by the various incredible moments it delivers. You have to have an appreciation for video games as an art medium for it to resonate as anything other than just a slightly above average rpg. Well that or an affinity for twee nonsense skeletons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This guy is far more annoying than the fan bases he's describing.

He is. But after watching a few videos I got used to his stupidity. He comes off like a goon and very different than your typical youtuber. He tends to make really good points when he isn't saying things are Hype. And his Wonderful 101 video gets pretty funny by the end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope MH World kind of spices up the minutia of MH a bit. I really want to like it because it looks so friggin good, but MH games always look good and I get so bored backtracking all over the place and running around the same mostly empty maps. I've never made it more than 5 or 6 hours into one.

The videos I have seen do make it seem a lot more lively so that's definitely good.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 3, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just hope I like the beta. I tried the 3ds demo for one of them and the controls were so terrible that I immediately gave up on it

world looks super cool tho and I really want a new mp game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the 3DS one was the most time I've put into a MH game. Maybe 6 hours? I was playing with a circle pd pro, so the controls were palatable but not great. The thing about monster hunter is, I love the art style, I love the animation, The monster design and armor design nd all the weird little creatures are so good. But all the running around the same maps, not being able to lock on, how time consuming doing anything is, how the monsters take forever to kill sometimes but don't have a health bar to let me know if this is going to take 5 minutes or 45... it always ends up killing it for me.

MH fans would probably want to string me up for some of the stuff I'd like to see changed, but if the series felt a little more accessible and was a little less time consuming I'd probably love it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't think many if any of the things you don't like about it are going to change in world. It is getting more accessible in general and there are damage numbers now, but no health bars and ~20 minute fights still seem to be the norm.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

no health bars
Never played one, is that done in a cool immersive way where health is reflected in visible wounds or behavior like limping or something, or is it just totally opaque?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Different parts of monsters can be "broken" or have their tails severed, which changes how they look, and they limp when low on health.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's possible I just didn't notice because I suck at MH and haven't played that much, but sometimes it felt like I was just endlessly hacking away at them with no idea how long it would last.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is that the one with Aloy?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing I remember is that you really do have to watch the monster’s animations to know lots of important things about their status, the game doesn’t tell you any explicit way through the interface. It’s one of many parts of MH I like, but yeah pacing and camera/tracking issues are killer for anyone who isn’t already all the way in.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that the one with Aloy?

Yeah, Aloy is PS4-exclusive content in MH World.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, Aloy is PS4-exclusive content in MH World.

Xbox get their own mascot?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the xbox version isn't even being released in japan iirc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Xbox get their own mascot?

of course not

honestly xbox is lucky enough to be getting the game at all, really shows that capcom is genuinely trying to get more of the west to give mh a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Manatee Cannon posted:

the xbox version isn't even being released in japan iirc

drat, for a second I was actually hoping there was a battletoad cat or something.