Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Spikey Willow posted:

Sorry, I know it's been asked before, but what are the current best picks for money managing apps?

Either mint or YNAB. YNAB is like a loving lifestyle if you take it seriously, mint will just show you how much you suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I started using YNAB 2 years ago and now I have so much money because I can’t go “oh hey there’s money in my account that means I can totally buy this dumb poo poo”.* Being able to budget for the month and future and set goals and assign every single dollar to something is so loving great. I don’t think I’ve had a big purchase or expense sneak up on me during those 2 years and the peace of mind I get from it is worth however much the subscription costs.

*Granted, I now have a budgeted amount for dumb poo poo but I don’t go over it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tweetbot was basically what I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I started using YNAB 2 years ago and now I have so much money because I can’t go “oh hey there’s money in my account that means I can totally buy this dumb poo poo”.* Being able to budget for the month and future and set goals and assign every single dollar to something is so loving great. I don’t think I’ve had a big purchase or expense sneak up on me during those 2 years and the peace of mind I get from it is worth however much the subscription costs.

*Granted, I now have a budgeted amount for dumb poo poo but I don’t go over it.

How is ynab different from mint’s budget functionality?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Virtue posted:

It doesn't shove financial companies in your face trying to get you to buy their services (mint earns their money off referral fees).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Virtue posted:

Unless it’s changed in the last year or two, everything in YNAB is manually entered. No checking account linking, etc.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s Ynab stand for?

Also can I get Gmail to open links in Safari?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hadji murad posted:

What’s Ynab stand for?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=YNAB

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I feel like I’m not fully ready for this budget having lifestyle if I need to think about a 90 per year account to do so as negligible.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought it was You're Not A Banker, haha.

Also that is perhaps the most passive-aggressive website I've ever seen in my life.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I updated to 11.2, but I don’t see any of the Apple Pay Cash options. Am I missing something?

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gypsyshred posted:

I updated to 11.2, but I don’t see any of the Apple Pay Cash options. Am I missing something?
They haven’t turned it on yet.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They haven’t turned it on yet.

I still see them, they're a sticker app under messages.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

On the contrary, Tweetbot is rear end.

tweetbot doesn't drop frames to gently caress on my iphone 6 while scrolling a linear list of tweets, which is more than i can say for twitterific

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

I still see them, they're a sticker app under messages.
Are you on a preview build?

quote:

Update: We're seeing several reports that Apple Pay Cash is not available in the release version of iOS 11.2. Given that this update was released at an unusual time, it may not be activated as of yet. It's likely we'll see Apple Pay Cash become available early next week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Unless it’s changed in the last year or two, everything in YNAB is manually entered. No checking account linking, etc.

It’s changed. You can now link most accounts for syncing transactions. It’s super easy to manage/sync transactions now. I still handle a few of them manually, though.

Virtue posted:

Mint’s budget functionality is part of what Mint does. YNAB’a budget functionality is the foundation of what it does. The entire point of YNAB is to work all your expenses through a budget and keeping that budget from going over so if one category goes over you need to pull from another budget to make up for it. It really drives down the idea of not spending money you don’t have and budgeting for the future. So if you budget your month and you still have money you can go ahead and start assigning that money on the following month.

Back when I used mint (since it started) all i really got out of it was how much money I have. The budgeting functions were really simple and were at best guessing games since the money wasn’t actually tied to it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s changed. You can now link most accounts for syncing transactions. It’s super easy to manage/sync transactions now. I still handle a few of them manually, though.

Mint’s budget functionality is part of what Mint does. YNAB’a budget functionality is the foundation of what it does. The entire point of YNAB is to work all your expenses through a budget and keeping that budget from going over so if one category goes over you need to pull from another budget to make up for it. It really drives down the idea of not spending money you don’t have and budgeting for the future. So if you budget your month and you still have money you can go ahead and start assigning that money on the following month.

Back when I used mint (since it started) all i really got out of it was how much money I have. The budgeting functions were really simple and were at best guessing games since the money wasn’t actually tied to it.

If you're already good(ish) at budgeting your money, Mint is fine.

However, if you really need help developing a budget and limiting your spending, YNAB is a great program and system.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are you on a preview build?

Yes, I didn't realize that I was on an 11.2 preview vs release because I am a moron who just scanned the version number and not the build number. My apologies.

Edit: meaning I didn't realize the current official release was also 11.2

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
considering how buggy ios 11 has been i would rather stick with something i've actually used and had lots of success with like venmo then jump on cash right as it launches

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I don't normally drive but I was looking forward to listening to Audible when I had a rental car but the sound from google maps would cut out while audible was playing. Is this a bug (I assume it is) or is there a setting I can change?

For example instead of "take a left turn on broadway" it would go "t....."

I had to drive through Boston traffic listening to the radio :smith:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

If you're already good(ish) at budgeting your money, Mint is fine.

However, if you really need help developing a budget and limiting your spending, YNAB is a great program and system.

A fairly expensive subscription model aimed at people who don’t know how the gently caress to manage ongoing expenses is a kind of evil genius :laugh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

A fairly expensive subscription model aimed at people who don’t know how the gently caress to manage ongoing expenses is a kind of evil genius :laugh:

$5/mo or $50/yr is expensive? OK

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

$5/mo or $50/yr is expensive? OK

Here I am remembering when personal accounting software could be 80-120 and updated yearly (requiring new purchase) in the nineties.

Doesn't seem so bad in my opinion--even at minimum wage that's less than an hour a month's pay.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I guess it isn't that horrible in the grand scheme of things, but when I'm looking into an app and on the fence about it, a recurring charge for perpetuity makes me nope the gently caress out of there real quick.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Level Money was the best budgeting app by far. The only thing that I've seen that's similar in usefulness is Empower.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

dc3k posted:

Level Money was the best budgeting app by far. The only thing that I've seen that's similar in usefulness is Empower.

Link? Nothing comes up for me aside from Empower Retirement, lol. I went from Jumsoft’s Money to Mint to YNAB and am happy where I am.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

virinvictus posted:

Link? Nothing comes up for me aside from Empower Retirement, lol. I went from Jumsoft’s Money to Mint to YNAB and am happy where I am.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/empower-money-management/id1136397354?mt=8

Maybe it’s one of those America only things

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Yep

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

I guess it isn't that horrible in the grand scheme of things, but when I'm looking into an app and on the fence about it, a recurring charge for perpetuity makes me nope the gently caress out of there real quick.

It’s got five weeks free...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Snapchat redesign is rear end. D not update this.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Snapchat redesign is rear end. D not update this.

i don't see how they can possibly make their current design any worse tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

i don't see how they can possibly make their current design any worse tho

It's genuinely one of the most unintuitive apps I've ever used. It's so so bad

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's genuinely one of the most unintuitive apps I've ever used. It's so so bad

Well guess loving what.

Discover used to have all your friends at the top in a list. Now it just mixes them arbitrarily in with all the other Discover tabs. Not me here that Scout is one of my friends. I have no idea how they’ve decided to place her halfway down the page.

I don’t follow any of these other things. Not even Kevin Hart and I kinda enjoy Kevin Hart.

Next is that your friends are to the left. It shows their stories there but only a select handful. I don’t know how they chose this metric either. Why is it like this? I do not know. I don’t say this often or ever really, but given how unintuitive Snapchat already was, this redesign has completely ruined it.

The ones with blue circles are stories I can view easily. But as I just showed you, Scout has a recent one too so I can only assume if they’re in one they’re not in the other.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haha that is so loving bad

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Is there any reason to use the gmail app over mail.app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Push notifications

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The lust for an early-2011 UI

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The UI is fine IME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

bigis posted:

Is there any reason to use the gmail app over mail.app?

Well the latest version of Gmail allows a lot of 3rd party accounts like Exchange/365 so aside from the UI they’re not much different