Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is the 'I'm a better driver when buzzed' a real thing? There are two things I never do when I have more than a couple drinks; drive and handle my guns. Both of those are a recipe for pain and suffering, whether mine or someone else's.

Playing a shitload of Forza on a wheel setup while drinking has convinced me there's a Ballmer Peak to it, where the reduced inhibitions make you faster up to a point where you either push it too hard or start losing coordination. Obviously applying this to road driving would be a poor choice.

It'd be fun to test this theory at a gokart track, but for obvious liability reasons that's not something one can easily arrange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

wolrah posted:

Playing a shitload of Forza on a wheel setup while drinking has convinced me there's a Ballmer Peak to it, where the reduced inhibitions make you faster up to a point where you either push it too hard or start losing coordination. Obviously applying this to road driving would be a poor choice.

It'd be fun to test this theory at a gokart track, but for obvious liability reasons that's not something one can easily arrange.

I can attest to the Forza thing. I used to race with goons on Forza, and on the nights I didn't drink, I was often on the podium. Those nights were rare, though. In my defense, the only time I drink and drive is in video games.

I miss those game nights, I should pick up a wheel for my XBone and look back into doing it again.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is the 'I'm a better driver when buzzed' a real thing? There are two things I never do when I have more than a couple drinks; drive and handle my guns. Both of those are a recipe for pain and suffering, whether mine or someone else's.

There is some indication that at low levels, THC makes you a more cautious driver. It has some other downsides that even things out though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nm posted:

There is some indication that at low levels, THC makes you a more cautious driver. It has some other downsides that even things out though.

Is that because you are still at the level of "poo poo I might get busted with THC", or is that corrected for?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrOnBicycle posted:

Is that because you are still at the level of "poo poo I might get busted with THC", or is that corrected for?

These studies are done on driving simulators or closed courses, so it isn’t a factor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MrOnBicycle posted:

Most of it is that you gain no improvement from experience. Every time they drive the course, they drove it as the first time, while sober drivers drove normally.
Also, sometimes driving to cautiously can have safety downsides what with speed differentials.
Don't drive stoned, but it really is the least bad option.

Note however that alcohol and weed is loving lethal. You can get a guy with a 0.04 and a pretty low level delta-9 THC level, and he'll be driving that a 0.16. They don't even seem to feel that hosed up. One of the problems with anti-DUI stuff is they never get into the nuance -- there are a lot of THC related DUI accidents. Most of them are going to involve alcohol. I guess weed is still the devil and they don't want to say driving with THC is ok, but an emphasis on how bad THC and alcohol combined is in drivers education or something would be totally worth it. I really don't think people know how bad it is. I didn't until I started trying DUIs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

I started trying DUIs.

I know what you mean by this, but lol at the other interpretation

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Platystemon posted:

These studies are done on driving simulators or closed courses, so it isn’t a factor.

Ah ok. Figured they did it properly.

nm posted:

Most of it is that you gain no improvement from experience. Every time they drive the course, they drove it as the first time, while sober drivers drove normally.
Also, sometimes driving to cautiously can have safety downsides what with speed differentials.
Don't drive stoned, but it really is the least bad option.

Note however that alcohol and weed is loving lethal. You can get a guy with a 0.04 and a pretty low level delta-9 THC level, and he'll be driving that a 0.16. They don't even seem to feel that hosed up. One of the problems with anti-DUI stuff is they never get into the nuance -- there are a lot of THC related DUI accidents. Most of them are going to involve alcohol. I guess weed is still the devil and they don't want to say driving with THC is ok, but an emphasis on how bad THC and alcohol combined is in drivers education or something would be totally worth it. I really don't think people know how bad it is. I didn't until I started trying DUIs.

Interesting. Thanks. :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

One of the problems with anti-DUI stuff is they never get into the nuance
This is the problem with a lot of laws, especially when it comes to motoring stuff and there's some kind of mothers-against-everything lobby group to appeal to. You end up with harsh, blanket rules for things that frankly would have been quite happily dealt with by existing legislation. Take mobile phone use here - they've now upped it to 6 points for the offence, which is half of the 12 you are allowed before it's ban time, and if you've been driving less than two years, you're only allowed 6 anyway. But there's already plenty of ways to deal with people driving without due care etc, so it's not even necessary, plus it treats someone texting or watching Youtube at 80 on the motorway as someone quickly checking a text or missed call when sat in a queue of traffic. Oh, and of course, if you weren't using your phone and a copper says you were, good luck with that.

But hey, it hits the We're Doing Something push-button and gets the self righteous types feeling smug about it.

I've yet to see anything beat this Irish speeding video for "road safety" insanity thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5hYikOA0g

Yes, that's real.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the China thread:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Flint Ironstag posted:

I can attest to the Forza thing. I used to race with goons on Forza, and on the nights I didn't drink, I was often on the podium. Those nights were rare, though. In my defense, the only time I drink and drive is in video games.

I miss those game nights, I should pick up a wheel for my XBone and look back into doing it again.

Every Wednesday at 9:30 eastern, dude.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GutBomb posted:

You guys are still doing that? I've been out for a while.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You guys are still doing that? I've been out for a while.

Yep. In forza 7 in all its buggy annoying glory.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Beautiful troll earlier.

Love the guy at 630 this foggy morning in the fast lane, going 5 under with his BRIGHTS ON and leaning over the steering wheel

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

GutBomb posted:

Hopefully after the holidays. There is never enough time anymore. Plus, after using a wheel, my hands will not let me use a controller for racing. I have tried. And failed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the China thread:

Definitely thought she was running for it at the end, but nope.

How the hell does that happen?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Definitely thought she was running for it at the end, but nope.

How the hell does that happen?

Probably confused the accelerator with the brake while trying to fiddle with the shifter in an attempt to get it into Park. The rearward collision was probably hard enough to knock the shifter into Drive (especially if she had her hand on the shifter) and you can see that she was trying to get the car into Park when the reverse lamps briefly turned on (with the TCU saying nope) as she careened into the wall.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Roundabouts are hard.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Heading home and I'm stopped at the intersection before I get on the highway. From Left to Right the lanes are: left, left/straight, straight/right, right. I'm in the Left/Straight and the guy to my left is signalling he wants to turn right: probably either wasn't paying attention or new around here and got the lanes mixed up. I know it's an illegal lane shift but I slow down a bit to give the signaling van space simply because I figure he's gonna try anyways and I might as well just give him room.

Nope. Doofus either was suffering Signal Dyslexia or didn't even realize he had his blinker on.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One of these days I'm gonna start logging my commute speed as the week goes on. I swear, every Monday people are doing like 80+ on the 55 highway around here; by Friday 2/3 lanes aren't even hitting the speed limit.

Who gets that excited to go to work on Monday??

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Alkydere posted:

Nope. Doofus either was suffering Signal Dyslexia or didn't even realize he had his blinker on.

Eh, I've done the blinker thing before, stereo blaring, whatever. Still run into people that do it (in fact yesterday, but it was an old C10 pickup). I feel it is a somewhat self-correcting problem when they use their turn signal for the next turn and realize "holy heck, how long was this on...I feel like an idiot and will keep an eye on it." Yeah, who am I kidding. But there is the opposite problem, turn signal on and do a shuffle into a turn lane and and a slight click of the wheel kicks in and cancels it and the guy behind you probably thinks what an a-hole.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

One of these days I'm gonna start logging my commute speed as the week goes on. I swear, every Monday people are doing like 80+ on the 55 highway around here; by Friday 2/3 lanes aren't even hitting the speed limit.

Who gets that excited to go to work on Monday??

This would be an interesting experiment. Escaping the weekend with an unhappy home life? Or wondering what fires needs to put out at the office after there was an imposed absence.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Are there any recommended dash cams? This thread really makes me want a dashcam for my car and my wife's' car. Front and rear cameras would be preferable, but if rear cameras aren't that important I can skip those because I'd probably need to hardwire the power to my car, and I might trade it soon.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 5, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

uncle w benefits posted:

Are there any recommended dash cams? This thread really makes me want a dashcam for my car and my wife's' car. Front and rear cameras would be preferable, but if rear cameras aren't that important I can skip those because I'd probably need to hardwire the power to my car, and I might trade it soon.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

I don't know how current that thread is though. Might be better off just checking Wirecutter or something.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
What about BestBuy because I want someone else to install it for me too :ohdear:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man it is so easy to do, paying someone for it always ends up a net negative. Usually all you got to do is find a place to put it and run the cables under plastic trim.

If anything ask around the local audio install place and they should give you a straightforward answer.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 5, 2017

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
It's not hard at all. I have done 3 cars now with add-a-fuses, 10 ft long usb cords and a set of plastic trim panel tools.
i just have the $60 Anker cam from Amazon but thinking about a front/rear cam setup.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

uncle w benefits posted:

What about BestBuy because I want someone else to install it for me too :ohdear:

Mine involved nearly zero installation. The camera is stuck behind my mirror and the cable is tucked under the trim all the way around the car and into my glove compartment where it hooks into a USB port. I did not have to remove any trim pieces or mess with any wiring, and the cable is 99% hidden. YMMV depending on car and camera but in general I've always heard that it's a simple process.

I have a SpyTec A119 which is perfectly fine but very basic. I don't know if I'd recommend it because I've been considering an upgrade to have parking mode plus a rear camera and if someone is going to put a camera in then they may want to go straight to something with those extra features in the first place.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I just bought this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HD6PIDC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

uncle w benefits posted:

Are there any recommended dash cams? This thread really makes me want a dashcam for my car and my wife's' car. Front and rear cameras would be preferable, but if rear cameras aren't that important I can skip those.

A199c imo, but it depends on how much you want to spend, and if you want recording while the vehicle is off.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Eh, I've done the blinker thing before, stereo blaring, whatever.

I did it a bunch for a couple weeks after replacing my (I assume factory) blinker relay module with a new one. It went from a solid mechanical CLACK CLICK, MOTHERFUCKERS, CLACK CLICK that could be heard over my not-factory speakers, to a really mellow "tic toc tic toc" that's barely audible and I had to adjust.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

THROUGH THE FIRE AND THE FLAMES WE TEXT AND DRIIIIIVE

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ugh, speaking of texting and driving, I just switched phones from an old 2014 Moto X to the Moto G5+, and despite being 3 years newer it's missing a bunch of features the X had, like NFC (cya Android Pay), IPS screen (no more sweet active display notifications AKA only a tiny part of the screen even turns on to show a message or whatever), and, most annoyingly, they gutted the Moto app functionality.
On my old phone the Moto app took care of a bunch of poo poo like the voice assistant and such, but it also had a driving feature where, as soon as it paired with my car's BT, it would automatically do a "[ping] incoming text from ____", then ask if i wanted it to read me the text out loud, then let me speak a response if I wanted. It was really flawlessly implemented and worked amazingly. The only little issue was I had to set it to "always play through phone speaker" since if I wasn't listening to BT audio in the car it wouldn't read the message through the car speakers.
This functionality is gone in my new phone and it super loving sucks. I won't text while driving, but I've been guilty of flicking the notification window to see what the text is, which is almost as bad. There's an app called Agent that kiiiind ofdoes the same thing, but the interface isn't nearly as nice, it's a paid app, and whine whine whine.
It'll do, but I can't believe how much I miss that functionality in my old phone, and it also makes me think other phone companies should do something similar. It was seriously amazing to be able to hear a text and respond without even having to tap my screen or look at it at all. I guess some newer cars have that kind of thing built-in? I mean I can make calls with buttons on my steering wheel, but I can't voice-command texts through the car like that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah my 2017 Escape (SE model, not sure if the S is gutted in comparison) has all the fancy voice control and text message reading stuff built in. I don't think I can dictate messages or anything like that, but at least I can have texts read to me so I can easily see if my wife actually needs something, and I can tell my car to dial the phone based on my contact book. Pretty neat stuff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah my 2017 Escape (SE model, not sure if the S is gutted in comparison) has all the fancy voice control and text message reading stuff built in. I don't think I can dictate messages or anything like that, but at least I can have texts read to me so I can easily see if my wife actually needs something, and I can tell my car to dial the phone based on my contact book. Pretty neat stuff.

The sync voice stuff in my Escape is real dodgy but just going "OK Google read me unread text message" works well and it blurts it over the speakers anyways since it's connected over BT.

tbf mine is the lower tier Sync 2, not the fancy Sync 3 like I think you have.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The sync voice stuff in my Escape is real dodgy but just going "OK Google read me unread text message" works well and it blurts it over the speakers anyways since it's connected over BT.

tbf mine is the lower tier Sync 2, not the fancy Sync 3 like I think you have.

I don't think I have the fancy system, it's the base model SE without any options and my Sync isn't touchscreen or anything fancy. I know they're improving it over the years though since my Sync is better than my wife's Sync in her 2013 Focus.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

I don't think I have the fancy system, it's the base model SE without any options and my Sync isn't touchscreen or anything fancy. I know they're improving it over the years though since my Sync is better than my wife's Sync in her 2013 Focus.

Oh, I thought all the Sync stuff got updated to 3 sometimes after the '15 model year. My bad. It sounds like you have the same 2 system as me. Glad your voice stuff is working out, mine was a constant fight for it to recognize names in the phone book. Google just did it better in my case.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh, I thought all the Sync stuff got updated to 3 sometimes after the '15 model year.

I just made the same mistake when trying to buy a Sync 3 control box to upgrade my '15 Fiesta. Bought one out of a '16 Escape and it was just a box with USB connections rather than the display connections I needed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah, goodwill :allears: . You never disappoint.

:stonk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjlZcd4ggY&t=75s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's 6 minutes of my life I'll never get back