Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

I regret everything and lust for death

Are you hollow yet? Wondering what it was like feeling a special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

it's the single biggest sign that all is not right in SC land and watching everyone agree with the worst gimmick in this thread's history without an ounce of critical thought is astounding

What? No, people agree that citizens will continue to throw busloads of cash at the roaring fire. If that's enough to keep CIG's dreamfactory working is something completely different.

Wise Learned Man posted:

Are you hollow yet? Wondering what it was like feeling a special?

Just take a relaxing bath on a tub full with Valentina's sauce.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

Mrs. Beet has informed me I drank the last of the tequila. How does the thread feel about death sauce in gin?

Gin and hot sauce sounds awesome.
What's it like?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Everyone knows if you stop at three law firms you don't really have a case.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Milky Moor posted:

yeah sc will just exist in perpetuity forever that's why they took out a loan from coutts, then pushed out 3.0 well before their own estimates then had this most recent sale of an unprecedented length with everything on sale with LTI, including ships that were otherwise previously limited, and a whole bunch of new things including land (hint: this is not something CIG can keep doing for every sale) ignoring the whole 2x2 same income days. this is CIG hoovering up as much money as they can, presumably in order to pay off coutts.

it's the single biggest sign that all is not right in SC land and watching everyone agree with the worst gimmick in this thread's history without an ounce of critical thought is astounding

SC is no stranger to financial games and it also has had people in this thread saying it's going to die "Any day now" since about 2014. None of that can be taken as evidence in itself that the studio is in financial trouble. So we have to look elsewhere.

Signs that they really ARE in trouble that we have not seen would include: failing to meet payroll on time, major leadership changes, hiring freezes,
Signs that they really ARE in trouble that we have seen: constant turnover, lots of musical chairs with current employee positions, low employee morale, lots of delayed projects and constant crunch.

I've watched a lot of studios die due to funding issues and Star Citizen has one thing that none of them did- a rabid fanbase with deep pockets. Most of the really bad signs out of CIG are related to employees self destructing, but you can keep burning through your employees as long as you can keep selling a product, and Chris has proven time and again that he could sell hair dryers to a man dying of thirst in the desert. I just don't see anything indicating they're in real financial trouble yet.

Quavers posted:

If you're planning an infographic with all the collected info, the creator of that table said the years were when the ships were announced as being able to be bought separately, not necessarily when they actually went on sale.

I'm really not, I just kind of wanted to see it. I'm not invested enough in this anymore to make super fancy charts, the ms paint abomination earlier is the closest I'll get.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Pinned Tweet - 21 Jul 2016
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/756236684811984896

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i dont think SC will exist forever, i just think it can scale down to where it can continue to subsist on whale money until crobblers gets bored/ dies of 5 point cocaine heart explosion

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Puking makes it so much worse

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

So the gin and hot sauce cocktail was succesfl

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol, learn2drink you scrub. You obviously know nothing of hangover development.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Titanic posted:

Space pets was one of the first stretch goals I believe, friend.

Then why are they not in the game already.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The game was the first stretch goal. The closer you get to the singularity the more time starts to warp.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Beet Wagon posted:

To taste it twice is not so nice!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Milky Moor posted:

yeah sc will just exist in perpetuity forever that's why they took out a loan from coutts, then pushed out 3.0 well before their own estimates then had this most recent sale of an unprecedented length with everything on sale with LTI, including ships that were otherwise previously limited, and a whole bunch of new things including land (hint: this is not something CIG can keep doing for every sale) ignoring the whole 2x2 same income days. this is CIG hoovering up as much money as they can, presumably in order to pay off coutts.

The Gates of Cig's Demise: Only the Penitent Man Shall Call It.

Toops fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 3, 2017

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I can fix it, you need a Taco with a slither of blue cheese and yogurt to carry the taste.

Pineapple is optional.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Beet: Blair's Death is the hottest thing I have ever tasted by a substantial margin. You can feel the heat of two drops added to an entire pot of chilli. It loving rules. Get it in you.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Has anyone ever done a dramatic reading of the entire stimpire.txt?

The muse is upon me.

edit: By muse, I mean alcohol.

BluesShaman fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 3, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BluesShaman posted:

I've strongly considered doing it, myself.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Am I the only one who thinks that Kayak has the kind of look where he could get away with going out and scavenging some limes? :kayak: Good doggo

e:My catte, Hickory is currently stalking and killing a cockroach, it is the only positive thing that catte does for all the food and housing/vet bills I give him. (he just killed it - does not eat them) Good catte.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 3, 2017

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Kosumo posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Kayak has the kind of look where he could get away with going out and scavenging some limes? :kayak: Good doggo

The ice blue eyes are disconcerting.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Toops posted:

CIG just made $6,000,000+ dollars in one month after not releasing anything for 1.5 years, blatantly lying to backers about progress, and scamming them with moon land in a universe that doesn't exist.

They ain't goin' anywhere.

Any chance the funding tracker is way off to start with? For whatever reason.

If the (pledge based) funds were in reality significantly lower than shown in the tracker, what do you think croblers would do with it?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 3, 2017

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

MedicineHut posted:

What if... the tracker is only showing a fraction of their income?

Ortwin and Crobbler are surreptitiously banking millions in overseas accounts.

This sounds more likely than inflating the tracker.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MedicineHut posted:

If the (pledge based) funds were in reality significantly lower than shown, what do you think croblers would do with it?

I remember 2 years back there was definitely something off about it, that we sussed out, but CBA to remember what exactly that was.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

BluesShaman posted:

The muse is upon me.

edit: By muse, I mean alcohol.

https://tinyurl.com/dereksmartwasright

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

BluesShaman posted:

The ice blue eyes are disconcerting.

I think Kayak is a Whitewalker

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ponzi posted:

I think Kayak is a Whitewalker

That or a Fremen...or is it a Fredog.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7h8r2r/i_hate_it_when_someone_says_its_been_6_years_in/

i already like the title of that thread

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

SC is no stranger to financial games and it also has had people in this thread saying it's going to die "Any day now" since about 2014.

Yeah I'm tired of being wrong about how long they'll last, the fact is that the income from sales is resilient as long as they think up some new dumb thing to sell.

When short of ideas for a new dumb thing they ask Citizens to vote for what new dream they want to be sold. Citizens applaud when told they aren't getting release dates and you can fake release a terrible patch nearly a year late without much fuss.

CIG can easily control their outgoings by reducing staff headcount, so it's entirely their choice when to run out of money.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GamingThrill/status/937244784443392000

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
They're bringing in a discount carrier? CALLED IT.

Virtual Captain posted:

It's a crisis for sure but until they bring the Javelin back at a discount or concept a poor man's carrier, "Chump run" hasn't occurred yet.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The problem with that chart is that G0RF wrote it before idiot cultists threw $6 million at CIG for land sales.

That's the depressing paradox of this bullshit. There is always more and it's always worse, and the thing there is always more of is Citizens' money. The thread's pretty demoralised just now and that's always when we eat our own.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Don't rush The Best drat ELE Ever.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Dogeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7BvXGOk26Y

I recommend that you play the video with the sound down.

Wow, the Infinity: Battlescape planetary graphics are gorgeous. It really puts SC to shame by comparison.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

four tweeter followers. how do you even find a tweet from someone with four followers

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

bandaid.friend posted:

four tweeter followers. how do you even find a tweet from someone with four followers

Comedy search.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/theRealDocFluxx/status/937207261784563714

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star citizen: just knowing its mine makes me feel like a badass

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star Citizen : Just knowing it's bad makes me feel like an rear end.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Commands // 6 pages
Manual // 98 pages
Tutorial // 97 pages

All included with, and accessible (via hot keys) from within, the game.

Good luck. I hope you don't have the attention span of a flea on steroids.

Derek, your games are 100% not for me, but putting controls overviews and manuals on hot keys is cool and good and a lot more video games (especially simulators) should do it.

Looking at you, DCS :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dogeh posted:

They rage because it's a game.
And I haven't trucked in months. My wife won't let me.

Plot twist. Spider Covets is Dogehs wife