Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

That deathstare Bishop owl is spot-on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

woofbro posted:

We’ve had coverage of Bennelong by-election everywhere. I get that Kristina has a lot more going on than John Alexander but man, just feels like nothing was done to strongly contest Barnaby in the New England seat. Apart from roots level stuff like his daughter high jacking a Ute and public members calling him out at conferences which weren’t covered by any of the biggest news sources.

This is not a coincidence.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

They've gone a bit more political...

https://www.mamamia.com.au/trump-racism-comments/?utm_campaign=Mamamia&utm_source=SocialFlow&utm_medium=Facebook

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/peterjameswills/status/936762859106680832

https://twitter.com/jasonyatsenli/status/937126610607554560

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 3, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Less of a dog whistle, more a vuvuzela

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Putting aside Don Burke’s tacky bid to dodge responsibility, there is a genuinely grey area of men and women misreading signals.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
90% of the time when I 'misread' the signal it was actually a case of me being

A) So stunned that this person was attracted to me it took me a full 30 seconds to collect myself and by then the moment had passed

B) Really not interested tyvm but let's pretend I'm just a dope it's less awkward this way

I guess what I'm saying is that guys aren't nearly as stupid as they appear and know full well that they are being horny arseholes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

90% of the time when I 'misread' the signal it was actually a case of me being

A) So stunned that this person was attracted to me it took me a full 30 seconds to collect myself and by then the moment had passed

B) Really not interested tyvm but let's pretend I'm just a dope it's less awkward this way

I guess what I'm saying is that guys aren't nearly as stupid as they appear and know full well that they are being horny arseholes

I'm gay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

This is an absolutely steaming hot take

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Former Burke's Backyard presenter misses the days when you could show a woman "a donkey bestiality video".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Andrew Bolt posted:

GEORGE CHRISTENSEN WIMPS IT

Nationals MP George Christensen privately told me, Peta Credlin and Cory Bernardi that he would quit the Turnbull Government if Malcolm Turnbull was still Prime Minister this week.

He authorised me and Peta to spread the word, without using his name, hoping to create maximum pressure on Turnbull.

(UPDATE: Christensen told me he had authorised Credlin to spread the word. I understand now that this may also be untrue.)

Twice more he urged me on, even after lying to Samantha Maiden of Sky News, telling her he was not the MP I'd referred to.

He told me that he meant his threat and explicitly told me I should report it without fear that he'd back down and make me look like a party to mischief.

Now he's piked, and I must say he has behaved very badly. I cannot now trust his word.

He also damaged the Government without actually following through with serious intent. He should either have said nothing or done everything.

For what it's worth, here is the reasoning he sent me:

George Christensen posted:

So the story is out now and as such you're released from your bonds of confidentiality but I've done some serious thinking and you're the first to get the new thoughts, which I'm happy for you to share. I know you might smack me around a bit for not following through but as I said I'm happy for you to report it was me who told you that I'm leaving initially. Here's where I'm at now:

Since the royal commission announcement on Thursday, I have reconsidered what can continue to be achieved within the framework of government. The royal commission announcement this week was a massive win, particularly for regional Australia as many of those hurt by banking misconduct are farmers and regional small business owners. A week ago, I didn't believe such a result could be achieved within the government but the reality is that it can be.

I have also had a series of discussions today and over the past few days with local mayors and community leaders, local LNP members as well as party elders and my Nationals colleagues. The consensus is that the Nationals need to be a stronger force within the government for both conservative values and country Australia and that people like me need to remain in the Nationals and government to ensure that happens.

I am assured that, with Barnaby Joyce set to be returned to Canberra by the good people of New England today, we will have a more assertive and independently-minded National Party with a reinvigorated leader at the helm. That's good news for the people of Australia and should point the government in a new direction.

That's why, despite serious earlier misgivings, I will remain completely with the Nationals and, ultimately, with the government.

bitterly-disappointed-they-didn't-kill-each-other.jpg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Trying to work out what exactly Morrison is up to has been occupying a lot of minds in Canberra lately, along with his mate, Health Minister Greg Hunt.

Like Morrison, Hunt is a divisive figure among his parliamentary colleagues.

“Hunt is an intriguer. Always has been. I think he is working for himself,” one colleague observed.

“He is almost friendless. He has the charisma of a speculum.”

He might be almost friendless but like the character of Little Finger from Game of Thrones, who some MPs think he resembles, Hunt does not lack ambition.

In the week when Turnbull was in Israel for the centenary of the charge of the Light Horse at Beersheba, rumours swept government ranks he was hitting the phones to gauge support for himself as a new deputy “should one be required”.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

bitterly-disappointed-they-didn't-kill-each-other.jpg
[/quote]

tfw you’re a publicist not a journalist

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soooo is Joyce deputy pm again?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Michael Hutchence cranked his hog to death because he wasn’t allowed to pinch bottoms

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Andrew Bolt, signalling that he cannot be trusted. CPG breathes a sigh of relief.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Soooo is Joyce deputy pm again?

Yep

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ewe2 posted:

This is not a coincidence.

Care to elaborate? Or is it just the Murdoch Media covering up for a Coalition member?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Care to elaborate? Or is it just the Murdoch Media covering up for a Coalition member?

The entire press gallery thinks private lives are off limits unless it’s an outsider(including members of the public), or unless they decide they want to do some puff piece to humanise some monstrous fuckwit by printing that they pat dolphins in their spare time.

Basically don’t print anything that might get you on a poo poo table at the annual dinner.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

The entire press gallery thinks private lives are off limits unless it’s an outsider(including members of the public), or unless they decide they want to do some puff piece to humanise some monstrous fuckwit by printing that they pat dolphins in their spare time.

Basically don’t print anything that might get you on a poo poo table at the annual dinner.

It was great that the herald sun mentioned he had a stalker that followed him and bombarded him with questions about his personal life.

e: In today's paper.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...203-gzxmf5.html

quote:

Coalition MPs risk a voter backlash if Malcolm Turnbull was cut down as prime minister before the next election, with nearly three quarters of Australians wanting an end to the leadership instability plaguing Canberra.

The final Fairfax-Ipsos poll for 2017 has found 71 per cent of voters think elected prime ministers should govern for a full term, rather than being dumped prior to an election. In a finding that will give nervous Liberal and Nationals MPs pause for thought, support for allowing a prime minister to serve a full-term leaps to 80 per cent among Coalition voters.
The poll also shows Labor has maintained its commanding 53 per cent to 47 per cent lead over the Coalition on a two-party preferred basis - the same result as surveys conducted in September and May.

If that result was repeated on election day, there would be a 3.4 per cent swing away from the Turnbull government which, if uniform, would trigger a loss of about 16 Coalition seats and hand power to Labor.
The Coalition and Labor each suffered a one percentage point dip in their primary vote, falling to 34 per cent and 33 per cent respectively.

There has been growing chatter in Coalition ranks about Mr Turnbull's future as Prime Minister, and the government has consistently trailed Labor since claiming a narrow win at the July 2016 election.

Parliament resumes on Monday for the final sitting week of 2017, with same-sex marriage laws expected to pass and the constitutional eligibility crisis coming to a head when all MPs table their citizenship documents by Tuesday.

The Fairfax-Ipsos poll found Foreign Minister Julie Bishop is now the most popular choice as preferred Liberal Party leader for the first time; 32 per cent of voters preferred Ms Bishop, whereas 29 per cent picked Mr Turnbull. Tony Abbott (14 per cent), Peter Dutton (5 per cent) and Scott Morrison (4 per cent) were well back in the field.

But among Coalition voters, 35 per cent backed Mr Turnbull as Liberal leader and 29 per cent backed Ms Bishop. Ms Bishop, Mr Morrison and Mr Dutton are most often discussed as potential Liberal Party leaders should Mr Turnbull be moved on.

Mr Turnbull on Sunday dismissed suggestions he could be replaced.

"I have every confidence that I will lead the Coalition to the next election in 2019 and we will win it, because we are putting in place the policies that deliver for the Australian people," Mr Turnbull told Sky News.

Mr Turnbull conceded he was working to "communicate more clearly and perhaps more succinctly" with voters and again flagged personal income tax cuts could be announced before the next election, however they would not necessarily kick in until after that next election.

He also hailed Barnaby Joyce's thumping win in the New England byelection as "a big vote of confidence" in Mr Joyce, the Coalition, and the government.

The poll was conducted Wednesday to Saturday, during another difficult week for the government. A Nationals backbench revolt on Thursday forced Mr Turnbull to reverse his longstanding opposition to a royal commission into the financial services sector.

A thumping 71 per cent of voters surveyed in the Fairfax-Ipsos poll supported a royal commission into Australia's banks, insurers and superannuation funds.
For Labor, 25 per cent of respondents preferred Opposition Leader Bill Shorten as party leader, 23 per cent preferred his deputy, Tanya Plibersek, and 20 per cent supported former leadership candidate Anthony Albanese. Mr Shorten was the overwhelming choice for Labor leader among Labor voters and Ms Plibersek the strong favourite among Greens voters.

The poll found Mr Turnbull's approval rating remained unchanged at 42 per cent, while his disapproval rating rose 2 percentage points since September to 49 per cent. Mr Shorten's approval rating rose by 2 percentage points to 38 per cent, while his disapproval remained steady at 52 per cent.

Mr Turnbull's commanding 17 percentage point lead (48-31) over Mr Shorten as preferred prime minister has not changed since the September poll.

The nationwide poll of 1401 people has a margin of error of 2.6 per cent.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/937270393152331776

Surely turnbull is safe now, lol.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hahahah, THAT'S his loving bounceback!?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Sick margin of error bump.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Hahahah, THAT'S his loving bounceback!?

Less a bounce back, more a FightBack

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Because Bill Shorten is so generic I reckon Turnbull could Labor lite it back to 50-50 by just middle fingering the right faction into 2018.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
What's the deal with the container deposit scheme in NSW?

I've seen a heap of complaining on beer groups that I follow about how it's placing an unfair burden on smaller shops with more diverse product lines.

South Australia has had a deposit for as long as I can remember and it doesn't seem to cause issues. Is the NSW model different or are people just whining?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Mad Katter posted:

What's the deal with the container deposit scheme in NSW?

I've seen a heap of complaining on beer groups that I follow about how it's placing an unfair burden on smaller shops with more diverse product lines.

South Australia has had a deposit for as long as I can remember and it doesn't seem to cause issues. Is the NSW model different or are people just whining?

Had a quick look at http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/your-environment/recycling-and-reuse/return-and-earn and as far as I can tell it's basically the same model - take marked cans/bottles to depot, get paid. I really don't see how it's going to burden any shops, it's not like the deposit on a glass beer bottle vs an aluminium beer can is any different, and there's no deposit at all on beers on tap.

Looks like all the recordkeeping burden is pushed as far up the supply chain as possible, too.

The only "burden" I can really see is that it's going to become illegal for retailers to sell any container that should be refundable but isn't part of the scheme, but it looks like that doesn't kick in until December 2019.

So basically whining.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

People are agitating for a CDS in Victoria too, the problem being we already have a really strong kerbside collection regime so there’s a serious worry that taking out some of the more easily recyclable materials from that undermines the economic viability of the whole thing.

Some metro councils have started doing soft plastic kerbside recycling, but it’s heavily subsidised by the other more valuable/easier stuff that makes up the majority of the stream (and by general revenue). I can’t see any way they could afford to do that if there was a CDS running with decent uptake.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The burden is that retailers get slugged for costs up front and it can run five to six figure fees -

quote:

Suppliers of drinks into NSW must pay a registration fee of $80 per unique product to the EPA, plus an advance fee for the cost of recycling each container and providing customers with their 10 cents.

The scheme is also run by a group of the major producers so it's less friendly to smaller businesses

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
The way I read it, I got the impression that suppliers were importers, manufacturers and wholesalers/distributors. Where are you getting that they're slugging retailers?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
One of the first articles that came up for it was, and yeah it says etc not retailers, that was me misreading - http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/nsw-cashforcans-will-send-us-broke/news-story/0c58c21fbde39bb478451f228ded8465

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Members of the LNP are publicly assessing Tim Nicholls' leadership and questioning the long-term viability of opposing asset sales, as Queensland's post-election political limbo continues.

What if asset sales are actually good and Queenslanders are just idiots ponders the LNP.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

"Sooner or later, Queenslanders are going to have to face up to the fact that they need to pay off the bank card," he said.

"We either keep printing money and you can't do that. Or in my view, you offload some of the assets that you've got that you don't necessarily need to be in public hands anymore, so that you can invest back into new assets that do need government help to kickstart.

"It's like the family silver."

"You just don't hold onto these things forever. Time comes to offload some of these things and at some stage in the future, the Queensland people are going to have to have that debate and maybe have a change of mind."

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Yeah fair enough. Bevco are a manufacturer and to be honest, given SA have been doing this for a long time and we still have beverage manufacturers here, I'm not very sad for them if costs affecting the entire industry statewide are going to send them out of business.

e: it should come as no surprise that News Limited were able to get a sob story out of a bloody recycling scheme, too. I was reading this pdf for what NSW are going to be considering a supplier.

Night Shade fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 3, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
THE other night I went to an office Christmas party. The girls there looked particularly dazzling, radiant, beautiful, and sexy. But neither myself or any other male there was allowed to say that, says Rowan Dean.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Solemn Sloth posted:

People are agitating for a CDS in Victoria too, the problem being we already have a really strong kerbside collection regime so there’s a serious worry that taking out some of the more easily recyclable materials from that undermines the economic viability of the whole thing.

Some metro councils have started doing soft plastic kerbside recycling, but it’s heavily subsidised by the other more valuable/easier stuff that makes up the majority of the stream (and by general revenue). I can’t see any way they could afford to do that if there was a CDS running with decent uptake.

I'm pretty sure every remotely suburban and plenty of semi rural councils in SA still do kerbside recycling pickup, it's just usually fortnightly. Every one I've lived in picks up your waste bin every week, and alternates between the compost bin and the recycling. There's usually a few regular folks who pick through your bins for any refundables they can take for cash, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

THE other night I went to an office Christmas party. The girls there looked particularly dazzling, radiant, beautiful, and sexy. But neither myself or any other male there was allowed to say that, says Rowan Dean.

Can’t even yell “nice tits love” at the office pisser, what a gently caress load of gay pc wank!

• Locked thread