Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've had a kilo of dough fermenting in the fridge for 11 days. It's still nice and supple, the gluten's holding strong. I think I'll bake it at two weeks. Can't wait. It's just a regular-rear end 68% loaf, but the flavor will be tremendous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So question, is this an ok crumb for a 70% hydration bread?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iospace posted:

So question, is this an ok crumb for a 70% hydration bread?

Assuming that's a straight dough, I'd let it rise more next time, looks a bit underproofed. Two things tell me that:

1) Crumb's pretty tight for 70%
2) The bottom of the loaf is very dense, whereas the crumb should be pretty consistent throughout.

If it's an enriched loaf, it still might be slightly underproofed or maybe you just didn't give it enough tension when shaping it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Assuming that's a straight dough, I'd let it rise more next time, looks a bit underproofed. Two things tell me that:

1) Crumb's pretty tight for 70%
2) The bottom of the loaf is very dense, whereas the crumb should be pretty consistent throughout.

If it's an enriched loaf, it still might be slightly underproofed or maybe you just didn't give it enough tension when shaping it.

It's just the four basic ingredients. I know the first rise is doubled, the second rise right before it goes in the oven is how much though?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Finger poke test

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

It's just the four basic ingredients. I know the first rise is doubled, the second rise right before it goes in the oven is how much though?

First rise double, second rise roughly double or until it looks and feels right. Finger poke test is the only way. Just keep baking bread, the ingredients are basically free. You'll figure it out and then you'll feel like a pro.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

First rise double, second rise roughly double or until it looks and feels right. Finger poke test is the only way. Just keep baking bread, the ingredients are basically free. You'll figure it out and then you'll feel like a pro.

So, poke it and watch for what exactly?

Also, I can say this: it's still delicious, which ok sure, it's not the best looking thing out there but it tastes good and to me, that's goal #1. Now comes the fun part of appearance.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The indent. Poke and the indent remains, overfermented. The indent disappears [quickly], under. In the middle, just right.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Also try giving it an overnight proof in the fridge if you have the time.
You'll notice a big difference in how the loaf bakes and tastes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

Also try giving it an overnight proof in the fridge if you have the time.
You'll notice a big difference in how the loaf bakes and tastes.

The longer the better. Just keep a cambro full of dough in your fridge if you have the space.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've had a kilo of dough fermenting in the fridge for 11 days. It's still nice and supple, the gluten's holding strong. I think I'll bake it at two weeks. Can't wait. It's just a regular-rear end 68% loaf, but the flavor will be tremendous.

I've never adjusted the cold ferment step. Is there anything to it besides "just let it go"? Most of my recipes have both starter + instant yeast. Reduce the instant? Any adjustments to timing on the baking day?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
How do you develop gluten on a cold ferment like that, just take it out and pull and fold every so often?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

I've never adjusted the cold ferment step. Is there anything to it besides "just let it go"? Most of my recipes have both starter + instant yeast. Reduce the instant? Any adjustments to timing on the baking day?

Start it by mixing together ingredients until a ball is formed, then rise until doubled, punch it down, and let it go in the fridge. When it looks doubled in size or thereabouts, fold it until it's deflated, then ball it up and keep going or bake it, your choice. I usually start with 1% instant or 10-15% preferment.

If you let it go long enough, the entire dough is basically a preferment, apart from a few subtleties of flavor you get from an intensively fermented starter, so if you have the fridge space, you might as well just go with instant. If you have preferment on hand, go ahead and use it, but I'm not sure it's worth making for 4+ day ferments. The older your starter, the better the final flavor, of course. It might be a good idea to use a large portion of an old starter that isn't super active.

Shape it cold, let it rise until the tension is right. It'll take quite a bit longer than a room-temperature loaf.

Stringent posted:

How do you develop gluten on a cold ferment like that, just take it out and pull and fold every so often?

Given time and enough heat for yeast to breed, gluten will form on its own. The initial rise is pretty important to making this work, but after that it's easy - just don't let it get too puffed up. You have a huge window, so don't forget to check it for more than a day and you'll be fine.

e: Make sure to flip it over every couple days, too. It'll start smelling pretty strong after a week or so. Do not be afraid. Play chicken with it. When it really starts to turn, it'll smell vile.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 1, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Curious but weird question; what would I want or need to add to bread to make it more... nutritionally complete? I figure ground nuts or quinoa for protein but I'm no nutritionist so I wouldn't know what else I might want.

Basically I'm not really a fan of proper or frequent cooking so I'm often thinking of how to premake simple meals for when I just want to eat food for hungers sake. I'd like to devise maybe a hardtack like bread that is basically a meal I won't die from, tho I'm not so desperate as to go as far as prison loafs :v:

Apologies for what is likely bread heresy.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

Curious but weird question; what would I want or need to add to bread to make it more... nutritionally complete? I figure ground nuts or quinoa for protein but I'm no nutritionist so I wouldn't know what else I might want.

Basically I'm not really a fan of proper or frequent cooking so I'm often thinking of how to premake simple meals for when I just want to eat food for hungers sake. I'd like to devise maybe a hardtack like bread that is basically a meal I won't die from, tho I'm not so desperate as to go as far as prison loafs :v:

Well-made bread that has been given some time to ferment, and made from at least decent quality flour, has a surprisingly high number (and variety) of essential nutrients. You probably don't need to add much to the bread itself--just top slices of your finished bread with things or dip it in soup.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The problem is that many things you might want to add could easily become sources of moisture, and thus mold, unless you store in the freezer, which I suggest in general.

Try a jalapeño cheese loaf and additionally add a cup of chopped bell pepper and 1/2 a cup of chopped pickled carrots.

I mean if you want a meal in a slice or two you'd have to get to fruitcake density I'd imagine.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It’s called a sandwich.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Man cannot live on bread alone.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Well-made bread that has been given some time to ferment, and made from at least decent quality flour, has a surprisingly high number (and variety) of essential nutrients. You probably don't need to add much to the bread itself--just top slices of your finished bread with things or dip it in soup.

Ah, good! That makes things much easier, then.

BrianBoitano posted:

The problem is that many things you might want to add could easily become sources of moisture, and thus mold, unless you store in the freezer, which I suggest in general.

Try a jalapeño cheese loaf and additionally add a cup of chopped bell pepper and 1/2 a cup of chopped pickled carrots.

I mean if you want a meal in a slice or two you'd have to get to fruitcake density I'd imagine.

I'm all about freezing things so that wouldn't be a problem. This is primarily a convenience and money thing; I like things I can make in bulk and then freeze or store for later. And I'd hope that making my own bread-stuff and freezing it is cheaper than buying sandwich fixings or other poo poo constantly. I'll try the cheese loaf, it sounds pretty good!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Rhjamiz posted:

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the best thing you could do is to just practice cooking until it's no longer an intimidating or onerous task. Trying to lifehack your way around something that's been practiced and refined for millennia is probably Sisyphean at best. This thread in particular probably has some stuff that would fit the bill: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278

*edit*
There's also the military food thread, might be a bit more what you're looking for https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750036&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also check out nutrition bar recipes: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe-1916420

Stringent fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 4, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can make some pretty heavily enriched breads.

Just like my first non pizzas with the Ankarsrum

Both sourdough. Left is 50% whole grain with, hard red (30%), spelt (10%) , rye (10%) with 14% flax and 7% sesame seed. Right is a brioche based chocolate babka with 50% whole grain as well, 30 spelt and 20 soft white. Both leavens were made with 100% hydration whole grain hard red.

Both very good although I need better lighting and framing in my kitchen. Turns out the Ankarsrum can handle 5.5 kg of dough.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Got out of the bread routine over the summer due to scheduling and a loving pantry moth infestation that claimed all my flour and got all in my bannetons and everything (gently caress pantry moths) but brought my starter back around and made some sexy olive bread for Thanksgiving

Crumb shot it a bit flat on top because I flew cross country with it in my carry-on. 1.5kg of flour each @ 80% with green and oil cured olives, lemon zest and herbes de provence

I now preheat a brick with the tiles in my oven and toss it into a disposable hotel pan of water on the very bottom of the oven when the dough goes in to get it steaming vigorously immediately without the oven losing heat. Takes almost 2 hours to preheat now, but works great :v:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 4, 2017

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I dunno. Someone saying that they want to make Lembas from scratch but are too lazy to buy a loaf of bread and a bag of lunch meat and put them together is probably not serious.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

I dunno. Someone saying that they want to make Lembas from scratch but are too lazy to buy a loaf of bread and a bag of lunch meat and put them together is probably not serious.

Buying lunch meat gets expensive as far as I'm concerned. I'll happily cook one big meal I can spread out over a week if it comes out cheaper. That's what I do with my fried rice.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
A pound of sliced cheap boiled ham is like $5. A loaf of bread is $2.

gently caress, buy a can of ham for like 50 cents a pound if you are that broke.

Mustard is cheap as poo poo also.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Murgos posted:

A pound of sliced cheap boiled ham is like $5. A loaf of bread is $2.

gently caress, buy a can of ham for like 50 cents a pound if you are that broke.

Mustard is cheap as poo poo also.
Yeah I get that. I'd like to try something different.

How about I make food the way I want to? :shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Have you considered just making edible or drinkable people chow? Soylent has a business model based on exactly that, but their production quality is questionable at best. Instead, check out some DIY recipes.

Something called "ax chow" that looks reasonably nutritionally complete

Or just cook some meat, beans, and rice and combine them in a big bowl, then heat up a scoop when you get hungry.

I dunno man. Seems like bread isn't what you're looking for.

e: you're more than welcome to make food the way you want to, even encouraged! People keep pointing you elsewhere because what you're trying to do just won't work out very well in our opinions, but hey, I've never tried to make nutritionally complete bread that's a meal in a slice. If you succeed, post it here!

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 5, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I more or less already do that stuff. I'm just looking to add variety to my limited repertoire.

And I'll report back with my results, tho I'm not aiming for a meal in a slice. That's a bit too ambitious. A meal in a small loaf maybe sounds more reasonable. Maybe pair that jalapeño bread mentioned earlier with some leftover gumbo.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
This weekend, I felt my wild starter culture had enough strength, so I baked my first loaf of sourdough (82% artisan bread flour, 12% whole wheat, 5% rye). Nothing could wipe the grin off my face when I took the lid off the dutch oven saw that the flabby, ugly lump of dough I threw in at the beginning actually looked and smelled like something resembling bread! I was following the sourdough starter instructions and beginner's sourdough recipe from The Perfect Loaf. I had quite a few missteps and took notes on all of them, so hopefully my next loaf this weekend turns out a little better.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah, I more or less already do that stuff. I'm just looking to add variety to my limited repertoire.

And I'll report back with my results, tho I'm not aiming for a meal in a slice. That's a bit too ambitious. A meal in a small loaf maybe sounds more reasonable. Maybe pair that jalapeño bread mentioned earlier with some leftover gumbo.

Has someone suggested making a batch of empanadas or samosas yet? Societies have solved this problem.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shame Boner posted:

This weekend, I felt my wild starter culture had enough strength, so I baked my first loaf of sourdough (82% artisan bread flour, 12% whole wheat, 5% rye). Nothing could wipe the grin off my face when I took the lid off the dutch oven saw that the flabby, ugly lump of dough I threw in at the beginning actually looked and smelled like something resembling bread! I was following the sourdough starter instructions and beginner's sourdough recipe from The Perfect Loaf. I had quite a few missteps and took notes on all of them, so hopefully my next loaf this weekend turns out a little better.

That's a nice loaf, especially for a first try.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Stringent posted:

That's a nice loaf, especially for a first try.

Thanks, I was over the moon with how it turned out, trust me! I think I got just enough right to see it through, and apparently none of the mistakes I made were deal breakers. The crust was crunchy and the crumb was soft and a little chewy, but seemed reasonably open with only a few large (quarter-sized) pockets. I assume they were due to the difficulty I had shaping the boule: I didn't use enough flour on the block OR the dough. The loaf disappeared fast and ended up really tasty with just a hint of sourness. I can appreciate why recipes are for two loaves! I opted to keep developing my 2-week old starter culture with twice daily feedings, rather than crash it in the fridge for most of the week and am excited for the prospect of another bake this weekend.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shame Boner posted:

Thanks, I was over the moon with how it turned out, trust me! I think I got just enough right to see it through, and apparently none of the mistakes I made were deal breakers. The crust was crunchy and the crumb was soft and a little chewy, but seemed reasonably open with only a few large (quarter-sized) pockets. I assume they were due to the difficulty I had shaping the boule: I didn't use enough flour on the block OR the dough. The loaf disappeared fast and ended up really tasty with just a hint of sourness. I can appreciate why recipes are for two loaves! I opted to keep developing my 2-week old starter culture with twice daily feedings, rather than crash it in the fridge for most of the week and am excited for the prospect of another bake this weekend.

You don't necessarily want or need a lot of flour when you're shaping! You probably just need practice- shaping is the hardest part imo. Fortunately misshapen bread is still delicious.

Here's a great video on shaping w/ good techniques and explanations.

Baked some raisin bread this morning:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Just now made bread for the first time w/o a bread maker (which I've only done a handful of times) using the no knead method w/ 3 cups of flour. I was really worried since it was so wet and gloppy since I went by volume and not weight.

After about 36 hours in the fridge I took half and folded it and let it rise again at room temp. Again I was worried bc it seemed saggy and lovely. Since I didn't have a dutch oven or parchment paper I left a Corningware I had lightly oiled in the oven to preheat, and when it was time the oil was of course scorched and kind of too hot/unwieldy to manipulate. I just literally threw the dough in there along with water for steam in a baking sheet for 25 minutes.

Piercing it with the thermometer the crust felt quite hard which made me anxious to get it out but it was around 200 inside. In retrospect, the dough dent test told me it was slightly overproofed (I had thought the dent needed to stay) and I think I should have baked it another 5 minutes but it is definitely quite edible and tastes very rich and tangy. I also cut into the bread like 5 minutes after I took it out which I also learned after the fact is not a great idea but whatever I was excited. I'll attempt the second half of the batch with a shorter proof, longer bake, actual parchment paper, and patience to allow actual cooling.

Overall I think it turned out pretty well flavor-wise and I think the shape and crust looks attractive given all the mistakes I made.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nice work. That's a great bread for a first attempt!

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014
This is my first time making challah. I made it on a whim for the holidays.

The first one I wanted to do was a linked loops style. They ended up bigger than I anticipated.

The second one was a three-braid long one, and a three-braid fat one. This time I brushed it with egg wash again 10 minutes before it was done.

And then some mini ones with the rest of the dough. I think...they turned out pretty okay.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Spicy Soba Noodles posted:

This is my first time making challah. I made it on a whim for the holidays.

The first one I wanted to do was a linked loops style. They ended up bigger than I anticipated.

The second one was a three-braid long one, and a three-braid fat one. This time I brushed it with egg wash again 10 minutes before it was done.

And then some mini ones with the rest of the dough. I think...they turned out pretty okay.

Looks great. Next time try to build up a little more bulk tension and let the strands rest a little longer (10-15 minutes) before braiding, it'll produce a cleaner end result. I also like to mix a few drops of cream with the egg wash, then apply heavily (but not in the crevices between the lumps).

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Looks great. Next time try to build up a little more bulk tension and let the strands rest a little longer (10-15 minutes) before braiding, it'll produce a cleaner end result. I also like to mix a few drops of cream with the egg wash, then apply heavily (but not in the crevices between the lumps).

Thank you for this! I will definitely do this next time!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, when are the right points in the bread making process that you can “pause the action” with refrigeration?

Anytime? Only between shaping and proofing?

E: internet says after mixing and before fully risen. Although there seemed to be people saying it’s still saveable at any time as long as you are willing to work it down and wait for it to rise again.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Challa'd