Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Not completely on topic, and also not really a comic panel, but Rick's description of the term "glip-glop" always makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Ebl9vEKx0&t=29s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

It's like "oval office", which is the second-worst word you can say in the US, but in the UK, they use it all the time. Two countries, separated by a common language.

And of course fag, which any giggling 6th grader can tell you just means a cigarette.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Son of Ambush Bug #5

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

When I was a kid, the word "kiked" was a synonym for "stole" -- I didn't learn what it really meant until years later. :blush:

I don't remember anyone saying that growing up, but there was a two year period in high school where a lot of people were using the word "jew" as a verb that was basically synonymous with "gypped."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I don't remember anyone saying that growing up, but there was a two year period in high school where a lot of people were using the word "jew" as a verb that was basically synonymous with "gypped."

There's an episode of South Park where Cartman uses that as a way to get under Kyle's nerves and I'd be willing to bet that it aired right about the time you're thinking of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

There's an episode of South Park where Cartman uses that as a way to get under Kyle's nerves and I'd be willing to bet that it aired right about the time you're thinking of.

It was hosed up, a friend's girlfriend tried to justify it by saying that historical Jews were oppressed by Christians (true) and had to become sharp negotiators (debatable) and so it wasn't offensive (what the gently caress are you smoking?) The friend she was dating had the last name Cohen.

Anyways, here's a funny panel.

https://twitter.com/kenlowery/status/937080038557667328

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ That same story had Fury taking his belt off and beating a general's office, another funny panel ^^^^^

The goggles on the dog makes me think it's Wendell Rand's dog from his time as a tween in the Confederates of the Curious, where he learned about Kun Lun and the Iron Fist from Orson Randall, the Iron Fist before Danny Rand.

That seems like a stretch though, how many people really know of that continuity, really?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's definitely Pizza Dog wearing Hawkguy's shades.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

goatface posted:

^^oval office is probably the worst non-racial word in the UK. We just use it a lot because nothing else has weight.

Yeah, I've heard it a few times where Americans think it's not that bad in the UK, and I have no idea where this comes from. I guess it can be used between friends, but you have to be really careful of the context. Like you said, it's one of the only words that can get a reaction out of someone, and if you call a stranger, a work colleague, or even a friend a oval office without establishing that it's OK, you'll be in a shitload of trouble.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Yeah, I've heard it a few times where Americans think it's not that bad in the UK, and I have no idea where this comes from. I guess it can be used between friends, but you have to be really careful of the context. Like you said, it's one of the only words that can get a reaction out of someone, and if you call a stranger, a work colleague, or even a friend a oval office without establishing that it's OK, you'll be in a shitload of trouble.

We think it's fine because it's in your tv shows.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it can be a synonym for 'guy' in certain contexts in nz, UK and Australia, but I'd not advise a non native speaker to use it, since the other meaning is 'loving rear end in a top hat'.

imo it's not an insult for a woman specifically though, that seems more American.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was given that impression from an interview with Garth Ennis. When asked about the difference between writing for British and American comics, he talked about how editors paid more attention to different things, and specifically called out vocabulary; the quote was, if I'm remembering it correctly, "For example, there's the word 'oval office,' which in America is a word of great and terrible power, and in the UK is punctuation."

This was in the late 90s when Preacher was a thing, so take that for what it's worth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The severity of the word depends entirely on accent.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

That story also had this:

(Punisher MAX #15)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MikeJF posted:

The severity of the word depends entirely on accent.
Even accent doesn't save you. My brother emigrated from NZ to the States and he says the most important thing was to unlearn oval office entirely as a word because any time he would unconsciously say it entire rooms of people would go silent and stare at him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TwoPair posted:

I have been personally theorizing that South Park has (perhaps unintentionally) played a large role in the development of the alt right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Beachcomber posted:

I have been personally theorizing that South Park has (perhaps unintentionally) played a large role in the development of the alt right.

No poo poo, sherlock.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This topic about the C-Word reminds me of the comedian Reginald D. Hunter talking about meeting an Irish guy once.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/i-speak-irish-foul-mouthed-comedian-on-irelands-colourful-affection-649548.html

(The link to the video is on this link.)

And hey this involves a Comedian also known as a Comic. And he is funny, so I guess it counts as a Funny Comic panel.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Not shown--Diana Prince tied to a sledgehammer and tossed into the back of an oil truck, which thugs fill with milk until she's almost drowning to get her to talk (which she doesn't, of course).

Reading Golden Age Wonder Woman always leaves me feeling a little off--it's obvious you're reading someone's fetish made wholesome enough for children to read and digest. But in spite of that, or maybe because of it, the plots are pretty inventive and it sparkles in a way that a lot of golden age stuff just doesn't.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It turns out the Silver Surfer is a redpiller:

(Thor #193)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Takezio posted:

I have questions about the toddler sized suit on the bottom right side of the panel.

Tony, NO.
I think that's just where Robot Man ended up.

Obviously Tony egotistically replaced his head.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not shown--Diana Prince tied to a sledgehammer and tossed into the back of an oil truck, which thugs fill with milk until she's almost drowning to get her to talk (which she doesn't, of course).

Reading Golden Age Wonder Woman always leaves me feeling a little off--it's obvious you're reading someone's fetish made wholesome enough for children to read and digest. But in spite of that, or maybe because of it, the plots are pretty inventive and it sparkles in a way that a lot of golden age stuff just doesn't.

It is literally fetish wank material. As in, not even trying to hide it. Not in a " Seems so much like it" NO, it is the guys fetish poo poo from start to finish

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

It is literally fetish wank material. As in, not even trying to hide it. Not in a " Seems so much like it" NO, it is the guys fetish poo poo from start to finish

To be fair some of it is probably the fetish of his wife or their girlfriend.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Milk gangsters, oh no! :ohdear: What's next, the Marshmallow Mafia?

"So I hoid you'se kids was gonna be having a campfire tonight..."

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Don't poo poo-talk the Milk Gangsters if you know what's good fer ya!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Twelve milkmen is theoretically possible. Thirteen is just, silly.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Rhyno posted:

Twelve milkmen is theoretically possible. Thirteen is just, silly.

drat you for making me remember that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There used to be a gang racket for everything, and in some places there still is. There's a great story about how Jack Kirby faced down a mob representative who was trying to threaten the Marvel office into using the more expensive laundry service he owned a piece of.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skwirl posted:

We think it's fine because it's in your tv shows.

And 50% of jokes about Scotland.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tales of Suspense #69

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Johnny Aztec posted:

I guess I just draw a line between Moulton's work and someone like Crumb or any number of underground and indie creators who indulge their fetish in much more explicit ways.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

A Strange Aeon posted:

I guess I just draw a line between Moulton's work and someone like Crumb or any number of underground and indie creators who indulge their fetish in much more explicit ways.

While Marston/Marston/Byrne's Wonder Woman is undeniably sexually charged I think it's misleading to say they're making "fetish art." The comics were explicitly didactic texts outlining Marston's philosophy of gender and power which, whether you agree with it or not, doesn't make a lot of sense at all if the psychosexual elements of it are downplayed. The entire point is that in the utopian framework of Wonder Woman, power subdues more productively by making subjugation desirable rather than making it fearful. It's an often clumsy format for explaining a pretty idiosyncratic view of how violence works-- much like when Steve Ditko gets to philosophizing some decades later-- but I think to call it fetish art or masturbation material is selling it short.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Tales of Suspense #69

Early Marvel's McCarthy levels of anti-communism will never not be hilarious.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

prefect posted:

It's like "oval office", which is the second-worst word you can say in the US, but in the UK, they use it all the time. Two countries, separated by a common language.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was given that impression from an interview with Garth Ennis. When asked about the difference between writing for British and American comics, he talked about how editors paid more attention to different things, and specifically called out vocabulary; the quote was, if I'm remembering it correctly, "For example, there's the word 'oval office,' which in America is a word of great and terrible power, and in the UK is punctuation."

This was in the late 90s when Preacher was a thing, so take that for what it's worth.

Warren Ellis' Crecy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 4, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jordan7hm posted:

Tales of Suspense #69

So who was it from?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

Tales of Suspense #69

nice

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Random Stranger posted:

Thor's constant fight against the drat Reds is great. Like, dude, you're the god of thunder, why are you so wrapped up in capitalism?

Anyway, more tales from Thor, get ready for the terrifying origin of the Zaniac!

When will man's hubris of leaving open boxes of dynamite sitting around end?!

Also another truly powerful Thor villain with the power to summon Pac Men!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Well I remember reading that Stan Lee made Tony Stark a rich weapons-building capitalist as a way of trolling hippies, so...there it is, I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

There used to be a gang racket for everything, and in some places there still is. There's a great story about how Jack Kirby faced down a mob representative who was trying to threaten the Marvel office into using the more expensive laundry service he owned a piece of.

Nazis, the mafia, geez, how did Jack Kirby have time to write/draw comics in between all the fighting in the office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Zaniac is the only weakish part of Simonson Thor. It's not bad by any means but it's a bit dull by comparison when it's sandwiched between either the Surtur story and Frog Thor or Frog Thor and the final arc where Thor is cursed by Hela.