Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c...als+LLC-1122587

In case anyone is interested, Monoprice is selling refurbished M560's for $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c...als+LLC-1122587

In case anyone is interested, Monoprice is selling refurbished M560's for $100.

Looks like they also have the M1060s for $200: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12001&cs_id=1082707&p_id=30651&seq=1&format=2

I really like my M560s, my only complaint is that the headband and clamp both need to be tighter.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Hi, Looking for some recommendations for a gaming headset. I've had Plantronics Gamecom 780s forever, but I keep breaking them. I like everything about them except the plastic headband is too easily broken.

Budget - About $100
Source - PC (USB or 1/8)
Isolation Requirements - Do not need.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size circumaural, which is what I believe the plantronics are.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced I guess.
Past Headphones - Plantronics 780, comfortable ear padding, small enough for my thin head, padded top thingy, built in microphone.
Preferred Music - Mostly used for gaming. I do listen to music but not any any specific style.

Thanks!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just slap a modmic on a pair of headphones you like

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use at work. My main concerns are comfort, not needing an amp, and not leaking too much sound.

Budget - $80-ish
Source - Mostly my phone
Isolation Requirements - My office isn't too loud, but I definitely don't want sound to leak
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, ideally circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Whatever
Past Headphones - I use a pair of beyerdynamic dt-880-pro-250s at home and I love them. I have a pair of amazonbasics over-ear headphones that I use when travelling. They're fine for podcasts but music is a bit underwhelming.
Preferred Music - Pop, hip-hop, punk, and other stuff

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Looking for a pair of wireless headphones for my dad for xmas, so my mom doesn't have to listen when he's watching TV.
They only use streaming services, through some Sony box, which has a coaxial digital sound output.
The TV has a 3.5 mm headphone jack and an optical digital audio output

Budget - up to $150, or more if I have to
Source - see above
Isolation Requirements - No sound coming in from outside, but shouldn't be open (so that my mom doesn't have to hear them)
Preferred Type of Headphone - probably full over-ear cans
Preferred Tonal Balance - don't think this matters.
Past Headphones - earbuds

My understanding is that I want a ~30 dollar bluetooth transmitter, which takes the optical audio out from the TV and sends it as bluetooth, and then bluetooth wireless headphones? Any reason to use some other RF signal rather than bluetooth? Any particular hardware that is reliable or are these all the same? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=optical+audio+to+bluetooth

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turds in magma posted:

Looking for a pair of wireless headphones for my dad for xmas, so my mom doesn't have to listen when he's watching TV.
They only use streaming services, through some Sony box, which has a coaxial digital sound output.
The TV has a 3.5 mm headphone jack and an optical digital audio output

Budget - up to $150, or more if I have to
Source - see above
Isolation Requirements - No sound coming in from outside, but shouldn't be open (so that my mom doesn't have to hear them)
Preferred Type of Headphone - probably full over-ear cans
Preferred Tonal Balance - don't think this matters.
Past Headphones - earbuds

My understanding is that I want a ~30 dollar bluetooth transmitter, which takes the optical audio out from the TV and sends it as bluetooth, and then bluetooth wireless headphones? Any reason to use some other RF signal rather than bluetooth? Any particular hardware that is reliable or are these all the same? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=optical+audio+to+bluetooth

I have almost the same request as poster above, is there such a thing as wireless headphones that let you switch quickly between two different bluetooth sources? Doesn't have to be expensive, but I have a quiet apartment where I want to switch between listening to the TV's audio or listening to the PC's audio, without having to gently caress around with receivers or pairing things all the time.

The rest can be cheap; something like light, plastic over-the-ear stuff is fine.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

da beeper king BABY posted:

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use at work. My main concerns are comfort, not needing an amp, and not leaking too much sound.

Budget - $80-ish
Source - Mostly my phone
Isolation Requirements - My office isn't too loud, but I definitely don't want sound to leak
Past Headphones - I use a pair of beyerdynamic dt-880-pro-250s at home and I love them. I have a pair of amazonbasics over-ear headphones that I use when travelling. They're fine for podcasts but music is a bit underwhelming.

ATH-M40x? They're normally $100 but you can get them refurbished for $80 right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...ywords=ath+m40x

You can't go wrong with the Sony MDR-V6s either:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512346866&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdr-v6

Both the M40x and MDR-V6 are popular in my office.

If you like the beyerdynmaic sound, there's always the DT-770s but they're almost double your budget:

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...s=dt-770+32+ohm

They go on sale sometimes. You'd want the 32 ohm version though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

I have almost the same request as poster above, is there such a thing as wireless headphones that let you switch quickly between two different bluetooth sources? Doesn't have to be expensive, but I have a quiet apartment where I want to switch between listening to the TV's audio or listening to the PC's audio, without having to gently caress around with receivers or pairing things all the time.

The rest can be cheap; something like light, plastic over-the-ear stuff is fine.

Searching around, I'm realizing it might actually be the most cost effective to just get:

- TWO cheap BT headsets (one for PC and one for TV): https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless-Memory-Protein/dp/B01NAJGGA2

- Optical-to-Bluetooth transmitter for the TV: https://www.amazon.com/Paxcess-Digital-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B01MT1V26O

That's $104 for everything and avoids having to futz with pairing... does that make sense?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

mariooncrack posted:

ATH-M40x? They're normally $100 but you can get them refurbished for $80 right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...ywords=ath+m40x

Ooh, I really like the removable cord, if there's one complaint I have about the dt-880s it's that the cable has gotten kinda hosed up and I can't easily replace it. These seem like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Thinking about buying these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Velodyne-B...Velodyne+vPulse

Velodyne vPulse Binaural

or:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/earphones-...keywords=KZ+ZS5

Yinyoo KZ ZS5

As I like bass. Anyone have impressions of them?

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 4, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

da beeper king BABY posted:

Budget - $80-ish
Source - Mostly my phone

Status Audio CB-1s are fantastic for the price. They are still on sale for like 59.99.

https://thestatusaudio.com/

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Arcsech posted:

Looks like they also have the M1060s for $200: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12001&cs_id=1082707&p_id=30651&seq=1&format=2

I really like my M560s, my only complaint is that the headband and clamp both need to be tighter.

Are you using different pads? I swapped mine, but yeah, I love my m560's

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I’m currently using a pair of Sennheiser Momentum on ear headphones which I love but I’m looking to make the switch to a Bluetooth set. I don’t need things like noise cancelling as I’ll mostly just use them to listen to music from my iPhone at night while I read or watch a movie on my iPad, just a good pair of headphones for a decent range of music mainly metal and punk but a number of other styles too. Looking on Amazon it has the wireless version of my current headphones for a bit over £200.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Penpal posted:

Are you using different pads? I swapped mine, but yeah, I love my m560's

I'm using the stock pads, what are you using instead?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Arcsech posted:

I'm using the stock pads, what are you using instead?

I bought some Sony MDR-XB500 pads, they're huge and comfy and feel perfect with these phones. They're so comfortable. The material is starting to peel, though, so I might order another pair in case these fall apart.
these ones: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LHHGK40/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Penpal posted:

I bought some Sony MDR-XB500 pads, they're huge and comfy and feel perfect with these phones. They're so comfortable. The material is starting to peel, though, so I might order another pair in case these fall apart.
these ones: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LHHGK40/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't mod headphones much, but it does look like the super-thick pads might help with the clamp force. How do you get them to stick, do you just glue them on or something?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Arcsech posted:

I don't mod headphones much, but it does look like the super-thick pads might help with the clamp force. How do you get them to stick, do you just glue them on or something?

Double sided tape, and it sticks remarkably well. It has never come loose or felt loose while wearing it, and I've had it like this for about nine months using the same initial tape I put them on with. Sometimes one cup will come loose, but it takes moments to line it up and press it back on.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014
hello, all--I'm just looking to get a pair of cheap-ish earbuds for everyday iPod functionality-type use that won't die on me inside a year. call it a budget of $50 or so. I like the features of the Apple earbuds, with the hands-free mic, the remote volume control and play/pause, but they seem subject to the same planned obsolescence everything else those guys make, fail on me real quick. Apple audio quality's also more than fine by me. I have the worst luck trying to make earbud calls for myself, end up getting cheap ones that are completely junky.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I think this is probably a strange request, but can anyone recommend a good mono IEM/earbud? Do they even make really good ones? My girlfriend is deaf in one ear, and as a result when she uses normal stereo headphones she only gets one half of whatever she’s listening to. I would spend up to like $75, but preferably less.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

If she's using a phone, iOS and Android have a "Mono" mode in the settings, so she won't miss anything listening with one ear. I've never heard of a Mono earbud

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

martinlutherbling posted:

I think this is probably a strange request, but can anyone recommend a good mono IEM/earbud? Do they even make really good ones? My girlfriend is deaf in one ear, and as a result when she uses normal stereo headphones she only gets one half of whatever she’s listening to. I would spend up to like $75, but preferably less.

Depending on what she's using as a source, she can probably just set the output to mono? I know it can be done on pc, maybe some setting/app on android/iphone?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I want to get my wife a pair of headphones she can listen to while she falls asleep for Christmas.

Budget - <$200
Source - wireless, probably streamed from an ipad
Isolation Requirements - maybe some? I snore
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced I guess? or maybe vocal focused.
Past Headphones - I've got a pair of cheap around-the-neck bluetooth earbuds that she likes okay but the piece that goes around the neck gets pinched/twisted too easily which causes it to lose reception/get all staticy. She's also got a wired pair that she's used for ears and miraculously never managed to strangle herself or yank her ipad off the bedside bookcase.
Preferred Music - TV show soap operas mostly e.g. Friends, Gray's Anatomy

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looking for a recommendation for small earbuds for gym (running) use

Budget - <$50 ideally but flexible
Source - wireless from iphone
Isolation Requirements - some
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM/earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - bass heavy
Past Headphones - airpods were too big so I was thinking maybe something that uses comply foam tips? Never tried those in gym conditions though
Preferred Music - pop/rock

Some googling recommended skullcandy ink'd wireless but I was leaning towards something that goes around the ear.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
So whatever pressure/cup/whatever issue worked itself out after a week or so. These HD6XXs are sooooooooo nice now

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

LLSix posted:

I want to get my wife a pair of headphones she can listen to while she falls asleep for Christmas.

Budget - <$200
Source - wireless, probably streamed from an ipad
Isolation Requirements - maybe some? I snore
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced I guess? or maybe vocal focused.
Past Headphones - I've got a pair of cheap around-the-neck bluetooth earbuds that she likes okay but the piece that goes around the neck gets pinched/twisted too easily which causes it to lose reception/get all staticy. She's also got a wired pair that she's used for ears and miraculously never managed to strangle herself or yank her ipad off the bedside bookcase.
Preferred Music - TV show soap operas mostly e.g. Friends, Gray's Anatomy

Virtue posted:

Looking for a recommendation for small earbuds for gym (running) use

Budget - <$50 ideally but flexible
Source - wireless from iphone
Isolation Requirements - some
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM/earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - bass heavy
Past Headphones - airpods were too big so I was thinking maybe something that uses comply foam tips? Never tried those in gym conditions though
Preferred Music - pop/rock

Some googling recommended skullcandy ink'd wireless but I was leaning towards something that goes around the ear.

Might be too expensive for Virtue but I got a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Fit Bluetooth headphones for the gym but they’re made mostly of what looks like silicon except for the buttons that are on either side of the ear, the ones I have also have the ability to take phone calls if that helps.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronic...762KDKZEVS3JH4N

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm pretty in love with my Sennheiser HD540 References from 1985 that I fixed up with new foam and pads. What are other good attractive 70s/80s/90s headphones to be on the lookout for?

Edit: That can be considered "hi-fi" and are worth listening to today.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve been using the Hifiman HE4XX pretty exclusively since they came in, and I guess to memorialize some information for y’all in case they come up on MD again:

• iPad Pro 12.9” drives them great
  • Nintendo Switch probably even a little better (BotW sound design is :swoon:)
  • New 3DS XL drives them much better than expected (no distortion noted, and a definite step up from the speakers, but the 3DS isn’t exactly a high-fidelity thing)
  • Google Pixel drives them as well. It’s great how efficient these guys are!

It’s weird that I feel like I have to turn up my amp from my PC to drive these but the mobile devices are all good to go. My amp volume is lower than where I had it when I started, but who knows.

It’s really too bad these are more-or-less home use only. Would not take these out on a plane, but maybe if you can snag a booth to yourself in a coffee shop/semiprivate spot in an office you’d be able to get away with using these.

I guess this means it’s time to find a soldering kit and heat gun to crack open the Monoprice M560s I managed to kill earlier this year to see if I can fix them and compare. I do want to check out those planar IEMs they make also...

Anyway, hopefully that’s useful? They sound great, I really do love these.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
For anyone looking for earphones around £50, I would recommend Final E3000's. I sent back my RE-400's and a few others before finding these. They sound really, really good for the price. Nice bass too :)

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

Might be too expensive for Virtue but I got a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Fit Bluetooth headphones for the gym but they’re made mostly of what looks like silicon except for the buttons that are on either side of the ear, the ones I have also have the ability to take phone calls if that helps.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronic...762KDKZEVS3JH4N

Are there multiple sizes of the buds or are they compatible with comply foam tips? The size thing + wireless are the two biggest concerns for me.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
anyone know of any good circumaural bluetooth headphones for watching TV? ~$50 or so, doesn't need to be audiophile poo poo

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Virtue posted:

Are there multiple sizes of the buds or are they compatible with comply foam tips? The size thing + wireless are the two biggest concerns for me.

They have a fixed silicone tip on them that can be rotated slightly but not removed, for reference though I tend to use the medium tips on earphones I’ve had before with them and these fit very comfortably for me. If you look on the amazon page you can see them.
https://flic.kr/p/21erpjh

I also noticed these on one of the comparisons, they might work for you since they appear to have the interchangeable tips. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTKRHIX/ref=psdc_564480_t1_B01MQ1OLVQ

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

anyone know of any good circumaural bluetooth headphones for watching TV? ~$50 or so, doesn't need to be audiophile poo poo

I was looking at them and normal bluetooth has too high latency for TV. You need bluetooth headphones that support aptX-LL ja a compatible transmitter for the TV. None of the receivers (like Yamaha) that support bluetooth transmission support aptX-LL. So a separate transmitter is needed (ebay has options).

aptX-LL compatible headphones: https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=484&field_product_category_tid=125

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a new pair of headphones that were reviewed as being bass-heavy, and they weren't joking. I figured I wouldn't notice since I'm far from an audiophile, but it's a bit much. Is there a good, simple, free equalizer program for Windows 10? I'd just like to either dial back the bass a bit or up mids and trebles a little bit, if that's how it works.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DoLittle posted:

I was looking at them and normal bluetooth has too high latency for TV. You need bluetooth headphones that support aptX-LL ja a compatible transmitter for the TV. None of the receivers (like Yamaha) that support bluetooth transmission support aptX-LL. So a separate transmitter is needed (ebay has options).

aptX-LL compatible headphones: https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=484&field_product_category_tid=125
would I not be able to sync them using the audio delay setting on the TV?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TenementFunster posted:

would I not be able to sync them using the audio delay setting on the TV?

For a band aid sure, but without low latency the syncing will drift apart over time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

8-bit Miniboss posted:

For a band aid sure, but without low latency the syncing will drift apart over time.
WELL poo poo

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I'm looking for recommendations for a good set of headphones mainly for gaming. I've never had a gaming-specific set before so I'm not wholly sure what to look for.

Budget - Preferably less than $100, willing to go up to maybe ~$150
Source - Primarily Xbox One, may occasionally use them with an iPhone or straight into stereo headphone jack. Would slightly prefer wireless even if it may restrict me just to gaming but not really an issue.
Isolation Requirements - Minimal? It's mainly so I don't have to rely on TV audio.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over Ear preferred, on ear acceptable
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea
Past Headphones - I used to use an old pair of Aiwa 223s my dad bought for music, but they lacked a microphone option for voice chat, and the padding started flaking off. Otherwise, I just used the generic voice chat headphones that came with the Xbox One.
Preferred Music - Really a secondary concern, since this is 95% intended for gaming, but mainly classic rock.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

The Gardenator posted:

Budget - Under $200
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - not needed
Preferred Type of Headphone - full size wireless over or on ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced to bass heavy
Preferred Music - pop music

This is a gift for my daughter, who wanted beats studio or solo line. I have managed to convince her that I can get a comparable wireless headphone for cheaper.

I am currently looking at either MEE audio Matrix2 or Sony MDR XB950B1. Any other headphone suggestions?

I ended up buying the Sony from Amazon Warehouse deals. Charged it and tested it with my phone and it sounds great without the bassboost feature. With the bass boost, it sounds like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wish I knew about Bluetooth latency before I bought these things. Watching video and gaming just doesn’t work with the Bluetooth headphones I just bought. I liked the fact they were wireless and that they had a built in mic. Is there a term I should be looking for if I want something similar that has less latency? Are there any 3.5mm jack ones that are similar, or is it all USB?