Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

savesthedayrocks posted:

My unsolicited opinion: keep the smoked emblem, remove the smoked tails and advert for the dealership.

I’ve never seen tails that are well executed, and doesn’t flow well with the silver paint in my opinion.

The dealer advert is gone as soon as everything completely dries. I'll see whether I like it when I get it into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Put some really bright LEDs in those or something. There's nothing i hate more than coming up on cars in the dark with tail lights that are so dim I can barely see them, and painted over reflector so they don't even reflect... I usually live and let live on car mods, but this is a serious safety issue that really grinds my gears..

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

chrisgt posted:

Put some really bright LEDs in those or something. There's nothing i hate more than coming up on cars in the dark with tail lights that are so dim I can barely see them, and painted over reflector so they don't even reflect... I usually live and let live on car mods, but this is a serious safety issue that really grinds my gears..

this.

usually during the day in FL. hate that poo poo. cant see brake lights much less tails.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
In my opinion if you tint them to the point where you can no longer see the internals of the housing you've gone too far.

These are my Focus' tails with 3-4 light coats of nite shade with 2-3 coats of matte clear. I think if I was going to do it over again I might have done one more light coat of tint, but in direct sunlight they look good:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

It's not as dark as it appears in my garage. It's a thin coat of black and then a bunch of gloss. You can still see through the spray (it's not even solid) when you're up on it. I'm just testing the look. If I like it, I'll just get black led taillights (to match my headlights).

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 3, 2017

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

A closeup video will make it look brighter than it is since the camera adjusts to the brightest thing in the picture, the light. My sentiment still stands true, they look pretty drat dark in that picture outside.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah... 13.55%..... and that was with a $1500 down payment (the loan rate was the same for $0 down, but they offered me $1200 for my Altima that I had listed on Craigslist for $1500, and I had $300 cash on me, so I threw that at them).

At least it was simple interest, so no capitalization involved. First car loan I ever took out. I don't regret buying the car, or even financing it - it's been incredibly reliable, and still runs and drives great even at nearly 200k (got it with a little over 60k) - I just regret doing a 5 year loan.

Needed a reliable car, was in a tight spot, Carmax offered me financing at half the APR of the buy here pay here places, gave me a 90 day bumper to bumper warranty, and the car was pretty much showroom fresh. Nuff said.

Hey now you have a car and paid off and hopefully better credit for it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

EvilBeard posted:

It's not as dark as it appears in my garage. It's a thin coat of black and then a bunch of gloss. You can still see through the spray (it's not even solid) when you're up on it. I'm just testing the look. If I like it, I'll just get black led taillights (to match my headlights).

The opaque look when they're off is too much I think, but if you were to get them to match the headlights I think it would look a lot better. Gonna black out the chrome grill? That might look good!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
While working in the ambulance for the past four years, we almost smashed the gently caress out of cars like that at night while we were zooming along. And a much higher percentage than average of the rear-end accidents we came on had smoked taillights involved.

I believe that anything over the top of the red (if tinted) or clear (if LED) plastic cover to the taillight should be illegal. Punishable by high insurance rates from being rear-ended constantly.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

While working in the ambulance for the past four years, we almost smashed the gently caress out of cars like that at night while we were zooming along. And a much higher percentage than average of the rear-end accidents we came on had smoked taillights involved.

I believe that anything over the top of the red (if tinted) or clear (if LED) plastic cover to the taillight should be illegal. Punishable by high insurance rates from being rear-ended constantly.

It is illegal in most places.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Execution, then.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I'm betting you'd have a pretty good case against someone if you rearended them and they had smoked to gently caress lights, especially if you could prove they were like that at the time of accident with a dashcam, pictures afterwards, etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even beyond the safety issue, I personally don't see the appeal of blacked-out lights at all. What's wrong with red ones?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

chrisgt posted:

I'm betting you'd have a pretty good case against someone if you rearended them and they had smoked to gently caress lights, especially if you could prove they were like that at the time of accident with a dashcam, pictures afterwards, etc.

They might get a ticket but you’d still be at fault from both the police and insurance perspective.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

They might get a ticket but you’d still be at fault from both the police and insurance perspective.

If you couldn't see the car because it didn't have any lights on it, especially a black car, how could you be at fault?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

If you couldn't see the car because it didn't have any lights on it, especially a black car, how could you be at fault?

In the olden days, when you rear-ended someone it was automatically your fault.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sagebrush posted:

Even beyond the safety issue, I personally don't see the appeal of blacked-out lights at all. What's wrong with red ones?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Idiots think red and amber and silver/clear light housings dont look aggressive/cool so they make them black because that apparently is cool, I think.

I dont know, I've only had cars that have awesome looking taillights/headlights so I cant really comment.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or you could be a huge fuckstick and think your opinion is the only right opinion, and then call people idiots on the internet because you've apparently only had the best things.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

Or you could be a huge fuckstick and think your opinion is the only right opinion, and then call people idiots on the internet because you've apparently only had the best things.

Unsafe and illegal, yes. What you choose to do with that information determines everything else.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

Nah, blacking out the only part of your car meant to always be visible by approaching traffic from the rear is a dick move.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Local advanced auto was having a good sale as they finally opened from Harvey. 5qts Mobil1 and a filter $30, plus half price quarts after that. So that and 2 qts more got the wife's ride changed, added an air filter and some odds and ends and got to $98 - with their rewards you get to $100 and then get twenty off the next purchase so my kid picked out a keychain and we were good to go.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah, blacking out the only part of your car meant to always be visible by approaching traffic from the rear is a dick move.

A. I haven't blacked anything out. I put a slight tint on it. It's visible from over 500 ft away (I verified once it got darker) which complies with the laws in my state. If it didn't, I would've removed it.

B. My issue is that he lumped everyone who doesn't like clear/chrome headlights and red taillights into some group of people who are "idiots" because everything is about being aggressive.

I don't like the red taillights because I don't think it looks good with the color if my vehicle (if my car was black or blue, etc I think the red housings look fine). I got rid of my clear/chrome headlights because I think chrome is gaudy (and the chrome ones were oxidized). I have clear/black ones. I'll probably end up getting clear/black tail lights with red LEDs anyway.

It's just the way it was stated. It seems in the car community (and especially online) , people are super judgemental about what other people do (imports, diesel trucks, antiques, etc). Everything they don't like is terrible, and if you like that something else, you're an idiot and a terrible person. Why not just let everyone like what they like, and not lump everyone into buckets? That's what I like about cars, there is so much variety out there.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 4, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Diesel trucks modified to produce smoke are objectively terrible.

E. So are cut springs, bumpers cut to fit huge intercoolers, non functional roll cages, insane stretched tyres and anything else that compromises vehicle safety.

dissss fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 4, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did you replace the passive reflectors that the taillights also serve as with ones of equal area an equal distance apart at a similar height?

Mods that affect gross safety are dumb. Because then you're affecting others.

And yes, your tail lights are now dimmer. I can see a cigarette being drawn at a similar distance. Doesn't mean the taillights on your car should be replaced with embers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Did you replace the passive reflectors that the taillights also serve as with ones of equal area an equal distance apart at a similar height?

And yes, your tail lights are now dimmer. I can see a cigarette being drawn at a similar distance. Doesn't mean the taillights on your car should be replaced with embers.

What if all tail light systems were replaced with little launchers that ejected lit cigarettes into the air?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

I don't have passive reflectors in the taillight housings. There is a large one in the middle of the trunk lid.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EvilBeard posted:

I don't have passive reflectors in the taillight housings. There is a large one in the middle of the trunk lid.

Pretty sure that's not correct...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EvilBeard posted:

Please tell me you're *OCD twitch* trolling *twitch*

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

You're kidding, right?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wait you dont have shiny bits on the interior of your tail light housing?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

wait you dont have shiny bits on the interior of your tail light housing?

No, they're gray plastic on the back, and then a red and clear (for the backup lights) on the outside. There are small non reflective cones where the bulbs go in that kinda act as a way to make the lights into circles when they flash, but that's it. They're molded out or the same abs plastic. There is nothing reflective in them. If you have the car shut off and shine a bright light it, the only thing that reflects light are the reflectors built into the trunk and sides of the car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

If you have the car shut off and shine a bright light it, the only thing that reflects light are the reflectors built into the trunk and sides of the car.

Possibly because you covered them up with black paint like a loving tool.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Possibly because you covered them up with black paint like a loving tool.

it's not even paint. It'd dip. It's not opaque. Second, I know what my car has. I'm looking at it. Glad you can see all the interiors of my taillights all the way across the internet. It's a lovely ABS red tinted plastic housing. There is little to nothing inside it.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Looking over your previous pics, that car looked better with clear lights/chrome. Maybe if the car was actually, like, black or even a darker grey.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Meydey posted:

Looking over your previous pics, that car looked better with clear lights/chrome. Maybe if the car was actually, like, black or even a darker grey.

I have a spot where it's starting to bubble the paint in front of the passenger rear tire. I'm probably going to respray it in the spring. I'm definitely going darker, not sure if it will be gray/silver or another color. I just didn't like how much chrome was on the car. I like the chrome as more of an accent.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I always enjoy watching someone that doesn't know anything waltz into AI. It's like those liveleak videos where a toddler accidentally falls into a lion enclosure.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sure looks like there are. You know, like they're required to have, by law. The whole bottom third.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sure looks like there are. You know, like they're required to have, by law. The whole bottom third.

Those don't look like mine. The shape is, but I don't have the reflective circle in it or anything. I'm guessing that's from the next generation. Mine just has some crosshatch molded into the plastic that lights when they're on. There is a small side marker light I'd never paid attention to in the bottom corner. The bottom portion of mine is where the backup lights are.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Oh, so you're saying it's this style with a reflector clearly right smack dab between the reverse light and the tail light...
Due to magic and poo poo, they actually CAN make reflectors out of lovely ABS plastic, painting over them is really stupid and illegal.
Yes, plastidip is a type of paint.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 4, 2017