Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

In a universe with thousands of inhabitable planets, the Maquis were a bunch of idiot spoiled babies. They were even worse than the Bajorians. I'm glad they all died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Peachfart posted:

In a universe with thousands of inhabitable planets, the Maquis were a bunch of idiot spoiled babies. They were even worse than the Bajorians. I'm glad they all died.

:agreed: :same:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Peachfart posted:

Starfleet wishes to evacuate you for your own protection.
Yet Gosheven has decided otherwise.
That is his right.
I will not waste time trying to reverse that decision.
I admire your conviction in the face of certain defeat.
Though doomed, your effort will be valiant.
And when you die, you will die for land, and for honor.
Your children will understand that they are dying for a worthy cause.
Long after the battle is over, their courage will be remembered and extolled.
Remembered by who? Yes, that is true.
There will be no one left alive to remember.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Data owns

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There were a lot of Bajoran Maquis, surprise, surprise.

I don't know why but I'm remembering there being a single Klingon Maquis, just like in the background of a scene.

Also that one lady Spock.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

There was at least one Klingon Maquis, not counting Torres. There was also a Bolian one.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObGkKHFf_w

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

EvilTaytoMan posted:

There was at least one Klingon Maquis, not counting Torres. There was also a Bolian one.

Not many places to get a job cutting hair once you are drummed out of starfleet. I doubt he cared about the Maquis cause, and just wanted to feel the excitement of life as a combat barber once more.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Not many places to get a job cutting hair once you are drummed out of starfleet. I doubt he cared about the Maquis cause, and just wanted to feel the excitement of life as a combat barber once more.

I bet his Maquis friends are sick and tired of him telling the story about that time he went all Die Hard on the Enterprise.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

That is his right.

I could identify with those guys. They were forced there due to crash landing and were trapped due to the technobabble atmosphere meaning nobody ever knew what happened to them. So their leader's argument was that he wanted to stay where his father and his grandfather had toiled and died to build a home in an inhospitable place. They had been there for like a century.

The Maquis were a bunch of hipsters that were bored of post scarcity society and decided they wanted to go LARP as farmers. They pulled the same "THIS IS OUR HOME" poo poo despite most of the planets being colonized recently. I think in the show's timeline that some of them even colonized directly adjacent to Cardassian space during or directly after the war with the federation like 10-20 years prior so they were just bored and wanted to pick a fight with someone and go "NUH UH You can't tell me what to do"

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think it has more to do with the vast amount of untainted wilderness for the Bolians to take shits on (they poo poo a lot, you see)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I wonder if the Klingon maquis was actually in it for the whole "freedom from tyranny" thing

or if he was just there for the violence.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MA-Horus posted:

I wonder if the Klingon maquis was actually in it for the whole "freedom from tyranny" thing

Betazoid guy was just there for the violence,so I'm sure a Klingon could be

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

simplefish posted:

Betazoid guy was just there for the violence,so I'm sure a Klingon could be

You mean mister lon suder?

I'm ok with him going all BJ Blaskowitz on the Kazon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This android fucks

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

How do you allocate stuff like the "Picard Family Vineyard?" What if I, Joe Replicator Maintenance man am an amateur sommolier and want to have a go at running my own vineyard in rural France? There are only so many acres of arable land for the 60 billion or however many humans their are in the 24th century.

You can't even say it's a meritocracy thing if it's a hereditary holding. Picard doesn't come from a line of skilled Starfleet Captains; indeed IIRC his Starfleet wanderlust made him something of a black sheep in the family.

there are tons of colonies on m class planets and anytime they mention population its rarely over even a million. you can have your own vineyard itll just be in the boonies

i guess in the centuries it would take for those places to get overpopulated that might be a problem but the federation strikes me as the kind of place where people don’t have a ton of kids

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

What's the difference?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm just past the Tuvik Voyager episode. It was actually phenomenal.

Only problem is it relies on you having watched enough Voyager to care about Neelix and especially Tuvok - Neelix is far easier to pity but Tuvok is probably the only competent person making strategic decisions on that ship.

What I liked most was the Doctor's refusal to be involved, and the fact that it didn't moralise or throw a Deus Ex to get the "right" answer. It left it as a no win and didn't shy away.

Reminded me of a DS9 episode (can't quite remember which) where it similarly seemed like there was no right answer but they threw a deus ex because something situational happened that rendered the whole thing moot.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Whomever they got in to play Tuvix did a phenomenal job. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a 50/50 clone of Russ and Phillips made specifically for that episode. And murdered when no longer convenient to have around.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

No, the I'm afraid the actor survived and went on to play one of the Nazi aliens in Enterprise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm amazed that the latest episode of The Orville copied LaForge's character evolution outright with LaMarr, pushing him from Bridge Guy to Chief Engineer.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm still glad Tuvix got split up again because Tuvok owns that much. It was a really good episode and was very real without sounding too nerdy and deep. Sure Tuvix is cool and alive...but I want my friends back! Reading memory alpha about it is pretty interesting too fyi.

Wallace Shawn talk: to me he isn't Wallace, I always refer to him as the Grand Nagus with his epic epic voice.

I remember in high school he was in some safety testicular cancer video psa we watched in health class. His kid talked about a lump and in true Nagus voice he said "you mean your testicles?" While the other kids laughed at the word like children I laughed at his voice like an even nerdier child.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm still glad Tuvix got split up again because Tuvok owns that much. It was a really good episode and was very real without sounding too nerdy and deep. Sure Tuvix is cool and alive...but I want my friends back! Reading memory alpha about it is pretty interesting too fyi.

Sure, aside from a crew of people dedicated to the preservation of life dragging a perfectly-healthy man to his death, on the orders of a Starfleet Captain, while he screams for mercy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Coulda just pulled their info from the pattern buffers and created new ones.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm amazed that the latest episode of The Orville copied LaForge's character evolution outright with LaMarr, pushing him from Bridge Guy to Chief Engineer.

The only difference is with Laforge you never got to see it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

That is his right.

Even as a kid, I was totally expecting the Enterprise to just fire a few torpedoes and "air-burst" them to show the people that the Aliens that were coming wouldn't even have to look them in the eye to take over the place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

simplefish posted:

Only problem is it relies on you having watched enough Voyager to care about Neelix
So, none?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Boy do I have a lot of Star Trek to catch up on!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

it is hilarious and it also owns

THS
Sep 15, 2017

however they are totally racist against yaphit

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

revolther posted:

I imagine replicators essentially take raw matter in different forms, recycled waste carbon makes some meh tasting Turkey dinners, or a better mix of base fuel and you get better food. Or maybe Quarks just has better "recipes" in the sense that they are meticulously designed atomic/molecular blueprints that pay more attention to linking the different elements of taste. This sorta makes sense in a jokey "army rations/food is terrible" way.

I mean taste is sort of an abstract concept to a computer sure, but even to people if you were trying to reconstruct a seared steak atom-by-atom. Computers with "Heisenberg Compensators" should theoretically be capable of recording the molecular differences caused by Maillard Reactions, so there is really no excuse it's been handled in this way other than not caring about the canon of the show enough to pick something and stick to it.

It could be design or fuel that makes Quarks menu more desirable, or something non-nerdy like socializing...

Standard-replicator food has been noted by non-starfleet types as being highly tasty and accurate to what a "natural" meal would taste like.

Every. Single. Time.

A given recipe in a replicator tastes exactly the same, every time you eat it. Perfectly identical, every time.

Even for someone that doesn't have some psychological hang-up against replicated food (because they've got a philosophical hard-on for the colonist life and growing your own food, or you're the son of a chef who enjoys cooking, or whatever), eating the same meal more than a handful of times will have you notice this pretty fast, one would think. For a lot of people, this probably isn't a big issue, for some it will be, as with any society/culture having its customs and preferences for food.

Quark probably acquires new variations on recipes (so that they taste slightly different, the texture is slightly different, the *look* is slightly different) frequently enough that it's reason enough to eat there rather than the repli-mat in and of itself, let alone other potential factors like having some hand-prepared meals, custom recipes for food/meals from cultures the repli-mat simply doesn't have at all, etc.

That, and Quark's almost certainly has a MUCH superior beverage selection, so there's that, too.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Plus there’s probably some Hrmm how do I put it? Like, everything is replicated now so people are all “ holly poo poo an actual HAND cooked meal”

Weight is placed on a previously common place activity.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah it's just psychological and that's entirely fine because in the 24th century humans are still human. i'd rather go have fun at joe sisko's restaurant and have authentic gumbo even if you can't tell the difference in a blind taste test

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I will impress all the ladies by scrambling an egg :eyepop:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

riker's omelettes are legendary

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

For all the wrong reasons:

I'd rather have a Romlette at Quarks. Which is pre-chewed pancakes, butter, sausage and pineapple spit out onto a hot egg and folded over.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gently caress: bashir
marry: riker
kill: neelix

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yandat posted:

however they are totally racist against yaphit

While Yaphit totally should be Chief Engineer, he's gotta be an expensive character to animate.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure, aside from a crew of people dedicated to the preservation of life dragging a perfectly-healthy man to his death, on the orders of a Starfleet Captain, while he screams for mercy.

Yes but Tuvok owns and Tuvix was wayyyy too serious. Now if it was someone like Neelix and Vorek/Taurek (Vulcan who tried to rape Torres via pon far) then I'd be cool with Tuvix hanging around.

As dumb as Tuvix's outfit should have been it was cool as hell so I'll give you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is Bashir allowed to have babies? Wouldn't they get half his hosed up mutant genes, which could interact unpredictably with the lady's genes.

If he did have kids, would his kids be allowed to try out for starfleet or other government positions that beneficiaries of genetic manipulation are usually barred from?

Or does the gene therapy not affect the gonads, so his kids will get his original 'tarded genes?