Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Man why can’t we play against Nathan Peterman or Geno Smith or Alfred Morris or whoever Crabtree’s backup is

Probably Seth Roberts. I think we're still undefeated in games where he scores a touchdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It wouldn't matter. None of this matters.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

kiimo posted:

new thread title pls

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

kiimo posted:

War is hell

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

He was legitimately good for five weeks? Like there's no real arguing that.

He regressed to his mean real loving hard though.

Yeah I still can't figure out what happened with Smith. I've always respected him because he hangs in there and despite having average skills as far as the league goes he manages to make things happen often. I mean at the beginning of the season he looked loving brilliant. Plus he seems like a cool humble player. Does charity poo poo and serves as a mentor for Mahomes.

I'm not a Chiefs fan or anything but I'm sad that his veteran comeback has completely stalled. I'm totally puzzled as to what's broken though. My best guess is the offensive line, Smith's psyche, and small receivers but who knows.

I don't think Mahomes is the secret for this season. Rabid fans always say that poo poo. Take a look at him in the preseason.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000828970/Every-Patrick-Mahomes-play-from-Preseason-Week-1

He completes a few screen passes, throws several really bad passes, he does throw a touchdown but on a pretty risky ball. Definitely not enough there for me to say for sure that he can compete in the NFL and win.

If he can, I think I'd wait for next season when he'll already have the entire offseason to train as the number 1 QB. I really don't think he's some saving grace, and putting rookie quarterbacks in for experienced ones has typically backfired massively.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

At the same time, that article posted earlier makes some pretty good points, mainly that Mahomes is much stronger than Smith against the problems the chiefs are currently having on offense

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/26/16702708/what-the-chiefs-should-do-with-alex-smith-and-patrick-mahomes

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah Mahomes may end up sucking but one thing for sure is he is really great at keeping his eyes downfield and finding an open receiver when pressured. That's Alex Smith's biggest weakness by faaar, more than his conservative style of play or weak arm or whatever else. The second the pressure gets there Smith shuts down and stares at the ground ahead of him trying to scramble for 2-3 yards, although he had temporarily solved that habit in the first few weeks. He had some really good throws while pressured in those games, I have no idea how it happened but he's lost it again

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I might have skimmed over it, but how in the hell did Smith regress so heavily this season, like go from "God Mode" to the Alex Smith we always knew. Did defenses just figure him out (or just remember that he is Alex Smith)?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

I might have skimmed over it, but how in the hell did Smith regress so heavily this season, like go from "God Mode" to the Alex Smith we always knew. Did defenses just figure him out (or just remember that he is Alex Smith)?

Pittsburgh shut them down, everyone other than the Raiders copied them and it works.

Teams are just hanging out in cover 2 or other zones and crashing down on run plays and for whatever reason you want to cite it has completely stymied the entire Chiefs offense.

e: well the Raiders tried to copy the Steelers and are the only team to not successfully stop them I guess.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

e: well the Raiders tried to copy the Steelers and are the only team to not successfully stop them I guess.
And yet the Chiefs still lost :grin:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

And yet the Chiefs still lost :grin:

Well, yeah there's that. But the Raiders defense is still pretty funny and I look for whatever I can laugh about these days.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It’s not just that defenses have adjusted, Smith has also heavily regressed. There were plenty of open targets in the last couple of games that Smith just missed completely. His confidence is fully shot

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

Well, yeah there's that. But the Raiders defense is still pretty funny and I look for whatever I can laugh about these days.

Laugh about Alex Smith. Remember when you traded all those picks for him and then your OC said he was the best qb in the NFL? That's loving comedy boys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

Laugh about Alex Smith. Remember when you traded all those picks for him and then your OC said he was the best qb in the NFL? That's loving comedy boys.

This would have hurt more before his replacement was already on the roster. Of course his replacement could suck, but still, there's a plan in place and hope.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I hope Mahomes never throws a TD until he gets cut and signed by the Pats then suddenly becomes good

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope Mahomes never throws a TD until he gets cut and signed by the Pats then suddenly becomes good

wow man, we say a lot of things in here, but that is just awful :(

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

your OC said he was the best qb in the NFL?

And after thinking about it for a second what I really want is for Doug Pederson to trade 2 seconds (I would accept a first) for Alex Smith.

gently caress Carson Wentz, you need Alex.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Play posted:

Yeah I still can't figure out what happened with Smith. I've always respected him because he hangs in there and despite having average skills as far as the league goes he manages to make things happen often. I mean at the beginning of the season he looked loving brilliant. Plus he seems like a cool humble player. Does charity poo poo and serves as a mentor for Mahomes.

I'm not a Chiefs fan or anything but I'm sad that his veteran comeback has completely stalled. I'm totally puzzled as to what's broken though. My best guess is the offensive line, Smith's psyche, and small receivers but who knows.

I don't think Mahomes is the secret for this season. Rabid fans always say that poo poo. Take a look at him in the preseason.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000828970/Every-Patrick-Mahomes-play-from-Preseason-Week-1

He completes a few screen passes, throws several really bad passes, he does throw a touchdown but on a pretty risky ball. Definitely not enough there for me to say for sure that he can compete in the NFL and win.

If he can, I think I'd wait for next season when he'll already have the entire offseason to train as the number 1 QB. I really don't think he's some saving grace, and putting rookie quarterbacks in for experienced ones has typically backfired massively.

First, maaayyybe don't use Mahomes first NFL action ever in a preseason game to judge him and I won't use that one curve ball throw to deem him an X-Men candidate.

If you're puzzled what is wrong with the Chiefs offense you can't really turn around and say you know Mahomes won't help. I'm not puzzled what is wrong in the slightest and Mahomes will absolutely help those things.

However he'll bring new problems and I just don't know what those are.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

First, maaayyybe don't use Mahomes first NFL action ever in a preseason game to judge him and I won't use that one curve ball throw to deem him an X-Men candidate.

If you're puzzled what is wrong with the Chiefs offense you can't really turn around and say you know Mahomes won't help. I'm not puzzled what is wrong in the slightest and Mahomes will absolutely help those things.

However he'll bring new problems and I just don't know what those are.

Yeah I said in the next post that there are convincing rationales why Mahomes might solve some of the problems. However as far as trying to see if Mahomes can be successful in the NFL, what the hell else am I suppose to use but his only actual NFL game film? College film really doesn't mean a thing.

Honestly I think it's a tough decision that could easily go wrong with either choice. Alex could get it figured out and lead the Chiefs to the playoffs at least, or he could keep bombing. Mahomes could be totally overwhelmed with an offense that isn't functioning that well to begin with, or he could even be hurt which would be a huge disaster. Or he could perform brilliantly. It's one of those choices you just gotta make and then pray

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well he played in four games and his playmaking ability became increasingly apparent, especially with keeping his eyes downfield for open receivers while scrambling (something Alex refuses or is unable to do).

Here are some examples...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDbvCQWyYwg

In case you think this is an anomaly, watch him do it time and time again in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvx8ZHHfj4k

edit: hell for shits and giggles, here's his curve ball.

thoughts: he's a witch

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 1, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I love that play, because it's so appallingly out of place on a football field, and also because he threads it perfectly into triple coverage by throwing the ball literally around the defender in the way.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wow the Broncos are so very bad right now.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

lol my loving chiefs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey guys, how's it going in here? Anything happen recently? No? Cool...

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Leave it to the Chiefs to insist that the bad gameplan Jets win that game. No matter what.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

Kill me

StoicFnord fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 5, 2017

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
What the gently caress was that last Alex Smith throw.

He airmailed it so hard that the only people that were gonna catch it were wearing green jerseys. Jesus christ

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

What the gently caress was that last Alex Smith throw.

He airmailed it so hard that the only people that were gonna catch it were wearing green jerseys. Jesus christ

He expected Kelce to cut inside I think but it doesn't matter. Letting the game get to a point where you're in position to lose to the Jets (just like letting the game get to a point where you're in position to lose to the Bills, or :stonk: Giants) means you've had a really loving bad day of football.

Alex was actually fine today, maybe largely because the Jets are idiots and let him go back to what was working early in the season.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/957thegame/status/937436156651716609

https://twitter.com/JosephinSkriver/status/937434406700007426

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

He expected Kelce to cut inside I think but it doesn't matter. Letting the game get to a point where you're in position to lose to the Jets (just like letting the game get to a point where you're in position to lose to the Bills, or :stonk: Giants) means you've had a really loving bad day of football.

Alex was actually fine today, maybe largely because the Jets are idiots and let him go back to what was working early in the season.
It's like the Jets just went to IHOP all week and didn't bother to watch any Chiefs film. They somehow still won lol

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I don't think i can feel anymore

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
football sucks

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Leave Bob Sutton in NJ please, he’s familiar with the area and will be fine

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

There’s a strong possibility my Broncos season ticket number finally gets called this offseason.

:smithicide:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/RaidersAnalysis/status/937453448475295744

https://twitter.com/JosephinSkriver/status/937453309153169414

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Lynch has his first 100 yard game today and this nice catch-

https://twitter.com/NBCSRaiders/status/937470038457556994

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
What does Josephine skriver think about it tho

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

What does Josephine skriver think about it tho

https://twitter.com/JosephinSkriver/status/937361786688417794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
First place yall

• Locked thread