Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can't justify 10 million for a football coach if you're getting low energy players.

It's a self perpetuating cycle. The program pays ever higher salaries to directors and coaches who in turn need to recruit better and better players which justify higher salaries. Occasionally the system accidentally steps into reality, like when they realized you can't use student likenesses in video games without compensating them, which is impossible when you can't pay them. Hence why you can't get real players in the NCAA video games now.

Letting student athletes make money off their position in any context would ruin the integrity of the game, but paying coaches like Fortune 500 CEOs is totally kosher because gently caress you.

John Smith posted:

Yup, got it. It is all the White Men's fault. How can any reasonable man think that it is the poor's fault for getting into such debt?

It's certainly not the poor's fault that they're living in a country where education and healthcare are treated like luxuries while owning a car is very often a necessity. Or that one of our major political parties thinks that having the government enforce solid protection for their legal rights is "anti-business".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

How can I go to a private school I can't afford?

quote:

Hello. Im a 19 year old college student in a pretty bad financial state right now. There's a private college I really want to attend but the tuition is close to $12,000 and they don't work with OSAP at the school. Any suggestions for being able to afford that kinda tuition? As a side note, the only reason I can attend college is because of OSAP. Any help would be appreciated.

quote:

The college is called Max The Mutt and it has an illustration program better than most of post-secondary schools in Ontario. The thing is I'm 90% sure I could get in based on my application. It's the tuition that's the only barrier.

Props to this guy for not sugar coating it but lol, don't do it bro.

ps gently caress john smith forever and always, crawl up your own rear end and die shitbitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

brugroffil posted:

Bwm rewriting the tax code of the biggest economy in the world in an afternoon

It's not like they have to live with the mistakes, they're getting paid no matter what happens.

This is a thing of beauty.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greazeball posted:

Everybody gets into debt, but when white people in Memphis file for bankruptcy, they're much more likely to actually get their debt discharged than black people.
Right... can't be because these White people got their poo poo together better than these Black people. It must be because of pure discrimination without a single bit of personal diligence coming into play. After all, we know that everybody takes financial and legal matters very seriously and with due diligence, right?

Cockmaster posted:

It's certainly not the poor's fault that they're living in a country where education and healthcare are treated like luxuries while owning a car is very often a necessity. Or that one of our major political parties thinks that having the government enforce solid protection for their legal rights is "anti-business".
You can face a challenging environment and still be a lazy bastard. These two aspects are independent of each other. I said this before, and I will say it again. Hard work is the cure to many ills.

Guest2553 posted:

ps gently caress john smith forever and always, crawl up your own rear end and die shitbitch.
Same to you, buddy, same to you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

John Smith posted:

Right... can't be because these White people got their poo poo together better than these Black people. It must be because of pure discrimination without a single bit of personal diligence coming into play. After all, we know that everybody takes financial and legal matters very seriously and with due diligence, right?

It’s forbidden to encourage suicide, so I’ll just wish you a happy holidays and hope you get either a brain or a heart in your gifts.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

It’s forbidden to encourage suicide, so I’ll just wish you a happy holidays and hope you get either a brain or a heart in your gifts.
I said this before, and I will say it again. Hard work is the cure to many ills.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

John Smith posted:

Explain to me how a white person and black person who are filing for bankruptcy are different, except for the color of their skin. I'm curious.

I mean, I'm sure your reasoning will be racist garbage, but I want something to laugh at you over.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blackmet posted:

Explain to me how a white person and black person who are filing for bankruptcy are different, except for the color of their skin. I'm curious.

I mean, I'm sure your reasoning will be racist garbage, but I want something to laugh at you over.
Simple. According to the posted articles, these White clients pay their lawyers the full cash fees whereas these Black clients don't.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 3, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Guys, seriously. Stop closing the drawer on your dicks.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Guys, seriously. Stop closing the drawer on your dicks.

Agreed. Putting him on my ignore list was the best thing that I've ever done. He never contributes anything, isn't even an entertaining troll. I wish quoting him was grounds for probation.

BWM content: Buying rental/"investment" properties seems to be a hobby with military spouses I'm learning, although I can't for the life of me figure out why (even among ones who already have work). Hanging around with a few I heard from one that she was trying to talk her husband into buying another house--my ears perked up and my heart sank. It turned out that it would be (I think) the 4th home they own. A few days later she was talking about some reno work with a contractor that went sideways due to him commencing a lot of work that she didn't agree to do while she needed emergency medical care, doubling the cost of estimated work. She asked what I thought she should do about it and I said to get hold of all her records with him, then tell him to knock the price back down to their written estimate, or she could go after his contracting license. It had never occurred to her to get a licensed contractor.

A week later she asked me how to budget.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Football chat: a lot of the prestige programs might not rake in the cash with ticket sales or bowl game appearances, but will do it with licensing and apparel: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/04/26/michigan-nike-contract/83533954/ (no, it's not that Freep)

Looking up a link for this I found OSU signed an even bigger Nike deal of $252mil over 15 years, holy lmao

Another BWM football-related disaster near me is the empty and decaying carcass of the Pontiac Silverdome, former home of the Lions, which is being exploded tomorrow at 8:30am EST. It cost $248mil in 2017 dollars to build, and was essentially abandoned in 2006, only to briefly reopen in 2010 after someone bought it from the city for ~$600,000. And because no story about Detroit is complete without corruption:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2017/09/60_volkswagens_are_believed_st.html posted:

The president of Detroit-based contractor Adamo Group, Richard Adamo, told the Detroit Freep Press in June that his company, hired by Triple Investment Group, planned to possibly begin demolition of the Silverdome in July, contingent on permits from the city.

Adamo is one of three contractors at the center of a federal probe into possible bid rigging linked to Detroit's grant-funded demolition program.

According to Detroit News report from June , Adamo had earned nearly $44 million of $170 million the city spent on the demolition of 11,670 homes since the program began.

For added hilarity, the ~120 acres of parking lots at the Silverdome are currently being used as a graveyard for VW diesel vehicles from the recall.

Here's a link if you want to see it go boom tomorrow: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/pontiac-silverdome-demolition-begins-sunday-how-to-watch-parking-what-to-know

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

You get an asset, under colour of law. Maybe not priced the way you or I would value it, maybe not liquid long term, but that’s the case for art too, and for equity especially for private companies. (There’s actually better work being done for pricing art than tokens or private shares, mind you.)

E: private shares are more likely to go to zero than even hold their value, historically

This is true in the vague sort of way that it's also true of naming rights to a star, timeshares in heaven, or magic beans.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Sirotan posted:

Football chat: a lot of the prestige programs might not rake in the cash with ticket sales or bowl game appearances, but will do it with licensing and apparel: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/04/26/michigan-nike-contract/83533954/ (no, it's not that Freep)

Looking up a link for this I found OSU signed an even bigger Nike deal of $252mil over 15 years, holy lmao

Another BWM football-related disaster near me is the empty and decaying carcass of the Pontiac Silverdome, former home of the Lions, which is being exploded tomorrow at 8:30am EST. It cost $248mil in 2017 dollars to build, and was essentially abandoned in 2006, only to briefly reopen in 2010 after someone bought it from the city for ~$600,000. And because no story about Detroit is complete without corruption:

For added hilarity, the ~120 acres of parking lots at the Silverdome are currently being used as a graveyard for VW diesel vehicles from the recall.

Here's a link if you want to see it go boom tomorrow: https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/pontiac-silverdome-demolition-begins-sunday-how-to-watch-parking-what-to-know

I clicked the link and found that the most Detroit thing happened. It didn't implode.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/video-pontiac-silverdome-demolition-begins-with-failed-partial-implosion

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

John Smith posted:

Simple. According to the posted articles, these White clients pay their lawyers the full cash fees whereas these Black clients don't.

Last reply before I place you on ignore forever...

That proves pretty much nothing at all. Whether the BK lawyer wants to be paid before or after the bankruptcy means nothing in regards to your work ethic, it's just how they choose to do their contract. A white person could go to the black lawyer and do the same thing.

Yes, the people who do chapter 13 often fail, based on the article. But it still says nothing about their work ethic.

Guy 1 and Guy 2 both file bankruptcy. Both make 30K per year, a low enough income to qualify for chapter 7. Both have $1000 a month in debt.

Guy 1 files chapter 7, goes from having $1000 a month in debt to $0. Gets hit with a $3000 medical bill a year later, can make a $250 a month payment plan and stick to it because he has no other debt.

Guy 2 files chapter 13 instead of chapter 7, even though he qualifies for 7. His debt load gets reduced to $300 a month. Gets hit with a $3000 medical bill, makes a $250 a month payment plan...and is right back to the brink.

This has nothing to do with race, you shithead.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Oil! posted:

I clicked the link and found that the most Detroit thing happened. It didn't implode.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/video-pontiac-silverdome-demolition-begins-with-failed-partial-implosion

It is because of all the bodies encased in the concrete caused the calculations to be off. They absorbed the blast.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oil! posted:

Yeah, lol. They are now saying they'll let gravity do its thing and it will come down over the next days to weeks. #Detroit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm assuming all the copper has been stripped out of it months and months ago correct?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blackmet posted:

Last reply before I place you on ignore forever...
Ohhhhh, little liberal don't feel sad. Facing up to reality can be tough. You asked for a reason, I gave you a convincing reason from the posted articles themselves. Namely that if you don't pay up, you get poo poo service. Which I notice you have no rebuttal to...

blackmet posted:

Whether the BK lawyer wants to be paid before or after the bankruptcy means nothing in regards to your work ethic
Man, sure glad that I mentioned personal diligence rather than hard work then...

John Smith posted:

Right... can't be because these White people got their poo poo together better than these Black people. It must be because of pure discrimination without a single bit of personal diligence coming into play.
Tsk tsk.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Friends of ours just bought into the Disney timeshare program.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

H110Hawk posted:

Friends of ours just bought into the Disney timeshare program.

Mwahaha, it's like a BWM double-header. Tell me they can't afford it, or an unexpected $1000 expense.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

A friend of mind spent an hour on Friday night asking me about how to buy "Bitcom". At first I thought she was just curious because of the hype lately but after awhile I realized she was trying to get actual instructions so she could buy some.

Step 1: learn the correct name of the thing you want to buy....

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
With football there's also the possiblility that CTE will torpedo the entire sport, probably starting at the HS level.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Droo posted:

A friend of mind spent an hour on Friday night asking me about how to buy "Bitcom". At first I thought she was just curious because of the hype lately but after awhile I realized she was trying to get actual instructions so she could buy some.

Step 1: learn the correct name of the thing you want to buy....

Something similar came up for me at work the other day, although my coworkers could at least name the product they were buying. I'm the wet blanket for not thinking that Bitcoin is a good investment, despite having by far the best understanding of what it is and how it works. They're buying an asset they don't understand, from people they shouldn't trust, for a price they can't explain.

On the other hand, another coworker remembered that he got a 5 Bitcoin sign up bonus for joining a website or something years ago. He just has to try and remember where he put it. I'm rooting for him.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I Like Jell-O posted:

Something similar came up for me at work the other day, although my coworkers could at least name the product they were buying. I'm the wet blanket for not thinking that Bitcoin is a good investment, despite having by far the best understanding of what it is and how it works. They're buying an asset they don't understand, from people they shouldn't trust, for a price they can't explain.

On the other hand, another coworker remembered that he got a 5 Bitcoin sign up bonus for joining a website or something years ago. He just has to try and remember where he put it. I'm rooting for him.

Yeah I have a colleague who tells me he tells me he purchased 6 - which would be a cool $72K if he could find it to cash out. Whoops.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

What Living on $100,000 a Year Looks Like

Jacob Hugart, St. Paul, Minn. with 5 kids posted:

"Have two incomes, and one is essentially dedicated to daycare, or have one income and a stay-at-home parent."

"The ones where both parents are working seem to be doing fairly well," he says. "They will remodel a kitchen. They have multiple cars. The ones who are trying to do the one-parent thing — there's a stretch. They're like us."

Hugart says he makes enough to meet his family's day-to-day needs, but bigger and unexpected expenses are a squeeze — such as his son's college funds or, Hugart says, a recent roof repair: "We ended up cashing out an IRA in order to pay for that because the other alternative was to put it on a credit card."

I had some sympathy for the woman with the medical bills because I know firsthand how they can overwhelm even amazing finances, but then it was "sometimes we have to give up our cellphones!" and "me and my husband haven't had Christmas in 10 years!" I don't know if these people are all just horrific or if NPR did them absolutely no favors. The portrayal of almost every single one is that they are in over their heads because they're trying to keep up with the Joneses.

This guy, though, I want to grab him and scream in his face. He's totally missed the point that even if you don't have pile of money to swim in after your needs and (I'm certain) a generous number of your wants are covered, you're still better off than the half the country. Like maybe if you didn't want the focus of your life to be your 5 children, and you wanted new kitchens and cars all the time, don't have 5 kids?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

He should be using his kids to remodel his kitchen. Problem solved.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

These are tough as someone who loves animals, but......but......

HELP! my girlfriends cat was taken to the emergency room last night! and its going to wipe us out.

quote:

this is my first time posting on personal finance so please be kind as i am in a panic! last night my girlfriend called me at 2 am saying her orange tabby cat (3) years old was wincing and couldn't walk. long story short, after spending time googling symptoms she decided it was worth a trip to an emergency vet. that cat will be needing surgery in order to live and they required a 1300 deposit, all in all this will cost close to +5,000$ when its said and done. we both make 45,000 a year and have about 30,000 dollars in debt each. with our current spending habits we can only save 400$ a moth. our combined Emergency funds are going to be cleared out to cover this. what resources/tactics/questions/actions do i need to look into to mitigate this expense? are we just screwed? any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: this cat is literally her best friend and "taking it to a farm up north" is not an option

April
Jul 3, 2006

How did this loan even HAPPEN???

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7h7cmv/upside_down_on_my_car/?st=jar9rbis&sh=0a14e679

quote:

So, I am extremely upside down on a car, about 10k to be precise, Car is worth about 6k and my loan is at 16k. I need ideas on how to get out of this (illegal or legal). Please do not answer this with "just pay off the loan" i have heard it a million times before and thats not the answer i want i am not financially stable enough to pay it off anytime soon and the car in unreliable keeping it is absolutely not an option. I am about to just trade it in and take the negative equity but i know someone on here has to have a better idea. Like i said open to any suggestions

quote:

it is a 2004 honda S2000, problem is it has a salvage title

quote:

117k miles

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

3 years old, hoo. That cat could have a long and expensive life ahead of it yet.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Motronic posted:

These are tough as someone who loves animals, but......but......

HELP! my girlfriends cat was taken to the emergency room last night! and its going to wipe us out.

God I love behavioral economics. It perfectly explains why this situation arises, and cements how little you can do to talk someone out of this kind of a position.

Endowment effect - MY cat versus EVERY OTHER cat.
Anchoring - tied to the first decision of taking the animal to the hospital.
Ego depletion / decision fatigue - emotional exhaustion taking a toll on ability to make good decisions.
Hyperbolic discounting - a dead cat in a year wouldn't be traded for $5,000.
Loss aversion - these people wouldn't pay $5,000 for a cat, despite the fact that in 3 years the cat would be just as close to them as this one.
Opportunity choice neglect - especially financial freedom and security.
Status quo bias - this woman is unrealistically committed to the timeline in which her cat remains living.
Tunneling - in an emergency, people can ONLY think about the emergency.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

NancyPants posted:

What Living on $100,000 a Year Looks Like

I had some sympathy for the woman with the medical bills because I know firsthand how they can overwhelm even amazing finances, but then it was "sometimes we have to give up our cellphones!" and "me and my husband haven't had Christmas in 10 years!" I don't know if these people are all just horrific or if NPR did them absolutely no favors. The portrayal of almost every single one is that they are in over their heads because they're trying to keep up with the Joneses.

This guy, though, I want to grab him and scream in his face. He's totally missed the point that even if you don't have pile of money to swim in after your needs and (I'm certain) a generous number of your wants are covered, you're still better off than the half the country. Like maybe if you didn't want the focus of your life to be your 5 children, and you wanted new kitchens and cars all the time, don't have 5 kids?

Yeah, I want to see their budget and figure out which BWM life decision hit them the hardest. There aren't a lot of them IMO which can gently caress your numbers up at $100K level:

Kids
Drugs
House / Too Much House / Unaffordable City
Medical Bills
Bad Education Choices
Keeping Up With the Jonses

I get that kids are expensive and gently caress medical bills, but a person must make many bad conspicuous consumption choices every month to not live comfortably at or near $100K. At that wage level, a person literally has thousands of dollars of disposable income a month. The complete lack of perspective at that level shows how pathetic people are.

On a similar note, I wonder how many individual budget crisis could be answered with a "get a roommate, you idiot" campaign in America's cities. Yeah, you can be 40 years old with a roommate. It doesn't matter. People's opinions don't matter. On the coasts, it's basically the equivalent to getting a part-time job for little to no extra work.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 3, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

God I love behavioral economics. It perfectly explains why this situation arises, and cements how little you can do to talk someone out of this kind of a position.

Ego depletion / decision fatigue - emotional exhaustion taking a toll on ability to make good decisions.
Loss aversion - these people wouldn't pay $5,000 for a cat, despite the fact that in 3 years the cat would be just as close to them as this one.
Status quo bias - this woman is unrealistically committed to the timeline in which her cat remains living.

Beep boop lives you are attached to can be converted to dollar amounts what is this e-mo-tion you speak of?

(Ask me about my dog's $1,000 piece of bread dough)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Autism - posting that

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Papa John Misty posted:

Autism - posting that

I'm not an econ nor do I make most of my decisions like it but I think it's a really useful exercise to think about the pitfalls inherent in this kind of decision making!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Beep boop lives you are attached to can be converted to dollar amounts what is this e-mo-tion you speak of?

For our dog it was $1,500 jellybeans.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm not an econ nor do I make most of my decisions like it but I think it's a really useful exercise to think about the pitfalls inherent in this kind of decision making!

Agreed. I enjoyed that post and it was a good post.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
OP of the cat post edited in some budget info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7hcgp2/help_my_girlfriends_cat_was_taken_to_the/ posted:

NUMBERS BROKEN DOWN:

My monthly take home- 2200

monthly groceries- 250

gym membership- 60 /split between us

rent- 1000/ split between us

utilities- 150/ split between us (gas/electricity)

student loans- 200 a month

car payment- 230 a month

gas- 75 a month

credit card- 375 a month (covers random living expenses)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Alright, I'm asking.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

For our dog it was $1,500 jellybeans.

For my old dog it was $40 frozen pork chops.

How they didn't kill him is still a mystery.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Endowment effect: certain inferior humans experience emotions such as love and/or affection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Vox Nihili posted:

Endowment effect: certain inferior humans experience emotions such as love and/or affection.

The really wild thing about the endowment effect is that it sets in with totally inanimate objects that you didn't want or need in the first place basically the second you give them to someone.

Like, the original study by Thaler was done with coffee mugs, which then showed an endowment effect to the tune of 50% of the median value.

If I gave you a coffee cup and ask you how much I'd have to pay before you'd sell it to me, you'll name me a price that's 50% higher than the price for which you'd buy that same cup.

Incredible stuff.