Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Why is that, out of curiosity? Is it that people can't be trusted to choose the proper gauge?

I'm guessing the fact that the plug can be bumped and damaged/knocked loose and isn't secured with the strong electrical and mechanical connection like a wire nut + box clamp would provide. Even if your average cord plugged into the wall is fine 99.9% of the time, there's still a substantial difference in objective durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

Was there any possibility of lightning?

Slim. Lightning is rare and I don't remember hearing any thunder.

I guess what I'm really worried about is if the lighting circuit is marginal somehow and is a gentle nudge away from tripping and/or starting a fire. I installed all the circuits myself, so there's definitely the possibility that I screwed up somehow.

EDIT: lighting circuit, not lightning circuit.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 1, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Why is that, out of curiosity? Is it that people can't be trusted to choose the proper gauge?

That and what Hubis said. The thing about structural wiring is that the structure is protecting it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

I have a great childhood memory of my dad running some power tool (maybe it was a circular saw) out in the driveway on one of those 50' extension cords wrapped around a spool. Well he was only like 10' from the outlet, so hey why bother unwrapping the rest and making a mess?

I'm not sure if the cord was too small gauge or it was just heat build-up from being used coiled, but he definitely melted all the exterior insulation into one big stinky orange blob wrapped around the spool.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Something I came across the other day. A lot of electricians use noalox on meterbase conductor terminations here, but I've never seen it used in this way.

Thoughts?

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

angryrobots posted:

Something I came across the other day. A lot of electricians use noalox on meterbase conductor terminations here, but I've never seen it used in this way.

Thoughts?

Yikes.

edit: For those who haven't used anti-oxide, it stays greasy forever. Lubricating lugs feels like a bad idea. Maybe it's just a bead around the lug, which would just be silly.

Blackbeer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 2, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blackbeer posted:

Yikes.

edit: For those who haven't used anti-oxide, it stays greasy forever. Lubricating lugs feels like a bad idea. Maybe it's just a bead around the lug, which would just be silly.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with lubricating threads, especially with an anticorrosion compound. The only problem is that if you're not careful it makes it really easy to strip them, because preload = applied load - friction, and lubing the threads obviously reduces the frictional component.

Definitely questionable that he didn't put any on the conductors themselves, though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

angryrobots posted:

Thoughts?

Yeah, that's a bit odd. I have seen people pull the lugs out entirely, shove the conductors in, then shoot a glob of noalox in. It gets squeezed out pretty much every direction, not JUST up the threads like that.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

Phanatic posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with lubricating threads, especially with an anticorrosion compound. The only problem is that if you're not careful it makes it really easy to strip them, because preload = applied load - friction, and lubing the threads obviously reduces the frictional component.

Definitely questionable that he didn't put any on the conductors themselves, though.

I've never used anti-oxide as anti-seize, but I'm sure you're right that it'd be fine. Don't know why one would use anti-seize in a meter enclosure or anti-oxide on tin-plated aluminum.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I would guess that if you asked the meterbase manufacturer, they would advise strongly against using any lubricant/anti-seize on the threads, because the specified torque is achieved without it.

Anecdotally, I've been in literally thousands of meterbases, and only very rarely do they fail at the conductor termination (and when they do, it's because it was not torqued in almost every case). Failure is almost always at the female meter pin stab, where it is riveted/welded onto the bus.

When we terminate underground services in a meterbase, we do not use any inhibitor, and in my opinion it isn't needed. So in my opinion, this thing I came across is completely idiotic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm contemplating adding under-cabinet LED lighting to my kitchen, using the same lightswitch as is currently used for the ceiling lights. Seems like the simplest way to do this would be to open up the ceiling lights and add some romex going along the ceiling and down to the cabinets, then punch a hole in the wall and fish the romex out to hook it up to the LEDs. Two questions, though:

1) How should I handle the new hole in the wall; does it need a faceplate?

2) Any advice on finding permanently-wirable LED strips? Everything I've found so far has had an included plug to go into a standard wall outlet, but I don't really want to deal with installing a wall outlet for this project if I don't have to. Of course, if the wiring requires a box and a face plate, I guess I might as well...

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

1) How should I handle the new hole in the wall; does it need a faceplate?

2) Any advice on finding permanently-wirable LED strips? Everything I've found so far has had an included plug to go into a standard wall outlet, but I don't really want to deal with installing a wall outlet for this project if I don't have to. Of course, if the wiring requires a box and a face plate, I guess I might as well...

1) It'll look ghetto if you don't, but hide it in the cabinetry and it'll look factory

2) Wherever you terminate the Romex has to be listed for it.

2a) At best, you're going to find an LED driver that has an integral cable clamp and outputs 12V or whatever to strips of your choice.
2b) At worst, you're going to get a box of some flavor that will fit your LED power supply, the two cable ends, and some wiring provisions (wire nuts, etc).
2c) Ugliest is to install an outlet in the back of your cabinet, plug in the wall-wart driver, punch a hole in the bottom of the cabinet, and run your LED strips from there. There are correct ways to do this, but none of them are pretty.
2d) If you have access to the ceiling, install the power supply up there. Nobody cares what it looks like up there, and as long as it's listed for the environment (heat/moisture ratings) it can live in the ceiling forever. Then you just run the low-voltage stuff down the wall. The good thing about this is that the LV stuff has no code requirement to it, so you can do all the stuff that people want to do with mains: flying splices, hidden splices in a wall, stuff wrapped around water pipes, run through plenum vents, not secured to anything except with blu-tak.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 3, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

1) It'll look ghetto if you don't, but hide it in the cabinetry and it'll look factory

2) Wherever you terminate the Romex has to be listed for it.

2a) At best, you're going to find an LED driver that has an integral cable clamp and outputs 12V or whatever to strips of your choice.
2b) At worst, you're going to get a box of some flavor that will fit your LED power supply, the two cable ends, and some wiring provisions (wire nuts, etc).
2c) Ugliest is to install an outlet in the back of your cabinet, plug in the wall-wart driver, punch a hole in the bottom of the cabinet, and run your LED strips from there. There are correct ways to do this, but none of them are pretty.
2d) If you have access to the ceiling, install the power supply up there. Nobody cares what it looks like up there, and as long as it's listed for the environment (heat/moisture ratings) it can live in the ceiling forever. Then you just run the low-voltage stuff down the wall. The good thing about this is that the LV stuff has no code requirement to it, so you can do all the stuff that people want to do with mains: flying splices, hidden splices in a wall, stuff wrapped around water pipes, run through plenum vents, not secured to anything except with blu-tak.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you're implicitly recommending that I find a rated transformer, stick it in the ceiling (pigtailed onto the wires for the ceiling lights), then run 12V wires along the ceiling and down the wall, punch them through the wall, and plug the LEDs into that. Sounds plausible to me. Worst case I'd need to enlarge the box for the ceiling lights to fit the extra wires; I assume the transformer itself can just be screwed down to a joist or something?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Personally I think it would be easier to add a receptacle since you're fishing wire anyway, but maybe that's just me.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you're implicitly recommending that I find a rated transformer, stick it in the ceiling (pigtailed onto the wires for the ceiling lights), then run 12V wires along the ceiling and down the wall, punch them through the wall, and plug the LEDs into that. Sounds plausible to me. Worst case I'd need to enlarge the box for the ceiling lights to fit the extra wires; I assume the transformer itself can just be screwed down to a joist or something?

When my friend did his entire house with cove-mold LED lights, he had two transformers. We mounted them in the attic in 12x12 plastic boxes (the gray ones from Carlon(r)). Each box had a switch on it that cut mains power. Romex went in one entry with its own clamp, through the switch, then terminated on the transformer. 12V came out in a little harness in its own clamp, with each 12V run going to where it needed to. I think the strips ended up getting ESP8266s or something for control.

However, he's an engineer and this system is WILDLY overbuilt. My original suggestion was to wire an outlet into a switched line from one of his lights, then take one of the plug-in transformers and plug it in, then just run 12V stuff willy-nilly throughout the house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

Personally I think it would be easier to add a receptacle since you're fishing wire anyway, but maybe that's just me.

Two things are stopping me from going with that solution: first, it feels weird to me to have a switched outlet in the kitchen on the lighting circuit, and second, there's tile all the way from the countertop to the underside of the cabinets, and I don't really want to deal with cutting installed tile.

I guess though that I could put a receptacle above the cabinets, slap a wall wart on it, and run the 12V wire down through the cabinets. And that'd also make it easy to add indirect lighting around the top of the cabinets, which would probably look nicer than the fluorescent tubes I have going right now. That's definitely worth considering.

babyeatingpsychopath: unfortunately, this is a first-floor room with no attic access, so putting in 12x12 boxes is probably not worth considering. I'd rather not have to do any drywall patching.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Went into my workshop after a storm a few days ago, and the lights weren't working; the GFCI breaker for the lights had tripped (but the other circuits in the workshop were fine). I reset it and the lights worked again, and I haven't noticed any other issues with the circuits, but is there anything in particular I should look out for? Possible causes for the trip? There's a motion-activated light on that circuit, mounted on an exterior box, so I guess water could maybe get in that way, but it's close to the soffits and pretty thoroughly caulked down, so I don't see how water could get in except maybe as vapor.

Is it a weather-resistant GFCI? If not, the humidity could have tripped it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I guess though that I could put a receptacle above the cabinets, slap a wall wart on it, and run the 12V wire down through the cabinets. And that'd also make it easy to add indirect lighting around the top of the cabinets, which would probably look nicer than the fluorescent tubes I have going right now. That's definitely worth considering.

This is a very good plan.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

socketwrencher posted:

Is it a weather-resistant GFCI? If not, the humidity could have tripped it.

It's this circuit breaker; I don't see a mentione of weather-resistance anywhere. On the other hand it is indoors (albeit in a non-insulated building), and inside the circuit panel to boot.

What makes a GFCI device weather-resistant?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

It's this circuit breaker; I don't see a mentione of weather-resistance anywhere. On the other hand it is indoors (albeit in a non-insulated building), and inside the circuit panel to boot.

What makes a GFCI device weather-resistant?

Ah my bad, read it as GFCI receptacle.

Don't know what makes them weather-resistant, but I've found them to work where regular GFCIs trip in humid conditions (even inside outdoor structures or weather-proof boxes).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is a very good plan.

Ya, I think it's good to have the 12v transformer accessible without going in the attic.

Also - I just helped my FIL install in-cabinet LED lighting in the kitchen in his RV, and we used magnetic NO/NC switches to control the lights via opening the cabinet door.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Two things are stopping me from going with that solution: first, it feels weird to me to have a switched outlet in the kitchen on the lighting circuit, and second, there's tile all the way from the countertop to the underside of the cabinets, and I don't really want to deal with cutting installed tile.

babyeatingpsychopath: unfortunately, this is a first-floor room with no attic access, so putting in 12x12 boxes is probably not worth considering. I'd rather not have to do any drywall patching.
Putting an outlet above the cabinets works really well. You can do some cool stuff as a homeowner with 12v and 24v RGBW strip lights. Just a few ideas:

1) Run strip lights along the top of the cabinets and use a day/night switch (the ones used for outdoor Christmas lights)--at night you'll get a great night light glow in the kitchen.

2) Mount your under cabinet lights using something aluminum channels with diffusers (https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PACK-1M-3-3ft-Aluminum-LED-Channel-for-LED-Strip-Lights-InstallationEasy-t/292087686670) and use a hue bridge or milights with a software bridge and use Alexa/Google Home to control your under counter lights.

3) Light your toe kicks. Really easy to do before you install cabinets, but doable after with construction adhesive after the fact. (You want to use the diffusers on toe kicks.) The path from the top of the cabinets to the toe kicks is often easiest behind the fridge.

4) And if you want to go pro--use micro switches and light your cabinets. If you don't have a pull out spice cabinet, a lighted spice cabinets is really nice.

e:fb ^ I should refresh before posting :)

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 4, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
All this led light chat makes me want to finally do that in our way under lit kitchen. We have two hardwired lights in a cabinet to serve as the switched high voltage. Want to throw a 12v transformer up there then run the wires to under my cabinets.

If any of you have a BOM to post from what you installed I would be forever grateful.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I'm stumped. I bought a Lutron Maestro MS-OPS2 - this one and an LED light - this one for a closet. Everything worked well for a couple of days, and then the light would be super dim when it came on:

I thought the light had burned out, so I bought a different dimmable LED fixture and hooked it up, but it did the same thing. I assumed that the switch had died, so I bought a new switch and installed it, but the same thing is happening. Does anybody have any ideas or things I can try? I can hear the switch click when I walk into the room, and the light turns on and off like it's supposed to, but it never gets any brighter than that photo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Human Cow posted:

I'm stumped. I bought a Lutron Maestro MS-OPS2 - this one and an LED light - this one for a closet. Everything worked well for a couple of days, and then the light would be super dim when it came on:

I thought the light had burned out, so I bought a different dimmable LED fixture and hooked it up, but it did the same thing. I assumed that the switch had died, so I bought a new switch and installed it, but the same thing is happening. Does anybody have any ideas or things I can try? I can hear the switch click when I walk into the room, and the light turns on and off like it's supposed to, but it never gets any brighter than that photo.

Have you tried with an incandescent bulb? The Lutron stuff that has "no neutral required" is super picky with LED bulbs (at least the Caseta stuff is).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Screw-in LED bulb failure question:

When I had CFL bulbs, I once had a “smokey failure” where there was a burned spot on the plastic and a small amount of smoke. It wasn’t dangerous or catastrophic but it was disconcerting.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of failure on LED bulbs?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

When I had CFL bulbs, I once had a “smokey failure” where there was a burned spot on the plastic and a small amount of smoke. It wasn’t dangerous or catastrophic but it was disconcerting.

I know exactly what you mean with CLFs (where I see it lots) but I haven't seen quite the same thing in my LEDs at work.

I've had the tiny fans in the base of some models I use fail and overheat the bulb. They smell like burnt electronics and when I've opened them up the little PCB has burned up components, but nothing visible from the outside.

Very common in MR16 bulbs is to have the little lens fail over time due to heat. It becomes visibly warped and brown, but not smokey or anything. The emitter inside has always been fine in these cases.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

The Human Cow posted:

If you have a(n appropriate) multimeter, you could set the fixture to full brightness and test the voltage in the socket. You might have a slightly loose (electrical) connection somewhere from when you did the installation. Or just check and redo all the wire nuts you did when you wired the switch in the first place.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Three-Phase posted:

Not really. LED bulbs usually have large heatsinks built in to make the LEDs last longer.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Moey posted:

Have you tried with an incandescent bulb? The Lutron stuff that has "no neutral required" is super picky with LED bulbs (at least the Caseta stuff is).

Hubis posted:

If you have a(n appropriate) multimeter, you could set the fixture to full brightness and test the voltage in the socket. You might have a slightly loose (electrical) connection somewhere from when you did the installation. Or just check and redo all the wire nuts you did when you wired the switch in the first place.

There isn't a socket or bulb to switch, the LEDs are part of the fixture. I'll poke around with a multimeter tonight and see what I can find.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A lot of screw in CFL failures happen because they intend for you to use the base to screw it in, but most people use the glass tube - like a regular incandescent bulb. The gasket then fails, letting atmosphere in and the magic smoke out.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

A lot of screw in CFL failures happen because they intend for you to use the base to screw it in, but most people use the glass tube - like a regular incandescent bulb. The gasket then fails, letting atmosphere in and the magic smoke out.

They're also supposed to be installed with the spiral facing up, so the heat can dissipate. If they're contained in a fixture with the spiral down, they can overheat and cook.

I had an LED A19 fail, it was in a pendant light, had been on for an hour or so, snap pop little wisp of smoke, and that was it.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Speaking of which, does anyone know of good LEDs that can be used in a cieling can with a full glass shade? Basically a no ventilation situation. They are 6" cans so at least not super tiny, but I'd like to get rid of the last of my CFLs, now that the ones in here have started to die.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I have a question. I've moved into an apartment with a fuse box. One of the first things I did was to pull the fuses one by one and try out lights so as to label the circuits. (They weren't labeled.) In the process I realised that the second bedroom light and outlets aren't fused.

How big of a problem / code violation is this? There is a breaker for the whole apartment, including that room (I checked when I was switching out the fixtures).

Also I'm renting, so there are some complications around getting it fixed if it needs fixing.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I have a question. I've moved into an apartment with a fuse box. One of the first things I did was to pull the fuses one by one and try out lights so as to label the circuits. (They weren't labeled.) In the process I realised that the second bedroom light and outlets aren't fused.

How big of a problem / code violation is this? There is a breaker for the whole apartment, including that room (I checked when I was switching out the fixtures).

Also I'm renting, so there are some complications around getting it fixed if it needs fixing.

What's the rating on the main breaker?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is it possible the outlets in question were lazily wired in to a neighbor's panel? That is, does popping the main actually kill the outlets? I think that's what you're saying here, but wasn't 100% sure:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

There is a breaker for the whole apartment, including that room (I checked when I was switching out the fixtures).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Is it possible the outlets in question were lazily wired in to a neighbor's panel? That is, does popping the main actually kill the outlets? I think that's what you're saying here, but wasn't 100% sure:

Yeah, I was confused by that too. Is that room on your main breaker or not?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bad Munki posted:

That had been one of my running theories. But yes, popping the main kills the outlets (and light fixture) in that room.

(As an aside, most of the wiring seems to be kind of room by room, with outlets and light fixtures mixed together on most circuits. There's also one fuse on the panel that doesn't actually seem to do anything, so I suspect it's the one the second bedroom was supposed to be on.)

Hubis posted:

What's the rating on the main breaker?

I'd have to go out to the electrical room to double check, but I'm pretty sure it's 150 amps.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone did something stupid with the wiring, but before raising an alarm it probably wouldn't hurt to do an idiot check. Pull all the fuses at once and see if that circuit still works.

If it does, but turns off when you cut the main, then you have a potentially very dangerous condition if that circuit gets overloaded. Fortunately at that point if you can get your apartment maintenance to come by it's easy to demonstrate the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Somewhat wiring question, more just electricity...

I have a lamp that a mouse got to. The cord is chewed. It was working fine, and I only noticed it was chewed because I saw a mouse run under the dresser and I looked under there.

Some of the copper is showing, but the lamp was still working. It's been unplugged since I found it was chewed.

Question: should I replace the whole cord to the lamp, or can I wrap it in electrical tape and be confident it won't cause my house to burn down?