Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
shields don't have to be boring and ds3 shields aren't bad

it's the game where parrying is the strongest tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked the spell parry shields a lot lol but those also had super low stability

theres also shields that let you use your special moves on L2 or had attacks and those are cool

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
you can do some nice stuff with a shield though, theres a lot of room for skill. for example if youre careful to only lift it at the moment when you need to block you can use about as much stamina as a dodge against certain types of boss attacks without actually going anywhere. for example if i was trying to take down champion gundyr or the nameless kings human phase as fast as possible i would use a shield, theres no real penalty for switching to 2h every time you attack anyway

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

IMO after BB it's really hard to go back to Souls games, and shields are only part of the reason why

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
learning to do both reaction and setup parries is good and cool

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
bb is much better than even ds1 but im all for shields, they have their place in souls. as far as sloppy playing goes a guy turtling with a shield isnt really any less elegant than seeing some guy take 4 hits to land 1 visceral in bb and regaining all of the health he lost setting it up

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

IMO after BB it's really hard to go back to Souls games, and shields are only part of the reason why

ive said it before but everything about BB is on another level, its easy to see it casting an enormous shadow on future soulslikes for a very long time

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

you can do some nice stuff with a shield though, theres a lot of room for skill. for example if youre careful to only lift it at the moment when you need to block you can use about as much stamina as a dodge against certain types of boss attacks without actually going anywhere. for example if i was trying to take down champion gundyr or the nameless kings human phase as fast as possible i would use a shield, theres no real penalty for switching to 2h every time you attack anyway

old vid of mine from like release day which i posted a while back but heres me using a shield and beating the pontiff in about a minute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdHROJVwKpU

im rolling some attacks still, others i only raise my shield at the moment the attack is about to hit. the boss dies really fast its definitely a fast way to fight, you can stay right next to bosses for the most part

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

extremebuff posted:

ive said it before but everything about BB is on another level, its easy to see it casting an enormous shadow on future soulslikes for a very long time

I think the plot and storytelling is what I noticed the most, it seems so much worse in 3 than any of the other games and following right after bloodborne didn't help it.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I care about souls plots.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff posted:

Cant wait for Lords of the Blood and Darksiders:Bl99d editi9n from my favorite american devs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if youre gonna have shields at all, ds3 is definitely the right way to do it, i agree. hell my complaint is more about vitality and equipload being a thing to balance heavy armor and tower shields when those should just not be an option. that they patched poise back into the game like a year after launch instead of keeping it to certain moves FG style shows a lack of vision IMO

Oh Long Johnson posted:

I care about souls plots.

yeah i too care about what im doing in a game lol. not going ham on you but why are people so afraid to admit the themes, writing and atmosphere in a game are just as important as everything else

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

if youre gonna have shields at all, ds3 is definitely the right way to do it, i agree. hell my complaint is more about vitality and equipload being a thing to balance heavy armor and tower shields when those should just not be an option. that they patched poise back into the game like a year after launch instead of keeping it to certain moves FG style shows a lack of vision IMO

yeah i too care about what im doing in a game lol. not going ham on you but why are people so afraid to admit the themes, writing and atmosphere in a game are just as important as everything else

Because their not as important as the gameplay. For example, Overwatch's lore is bar none. It's perfectly crafted by geniuses. But the game is diarrhea with AIDS blood in it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
The plots are all nonsense mostly but having npcs be weirdos who soliloquize to themselves are good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

The plots are all nonsense mostly but having npcs be weirdos who soliloquize to themselves are good

Agreed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Because their not as important as the gameplay. For example, Overwatch's lore is bar none. It's perfectly crafted by geniuses. But the game is diarrhea with AIDS blood in it.

lol yes but ive seen the inverse where everything about the gameplay is basic or outright lovely and it's rescued by strong writing and every other aspect, like the LISA rpg. its great to be engrossed in a world on top of loving the core game and BB is the very rare game that does this for me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oh Long Johnson posted:

I think the plot and storytelling is what I noticed the most, it seems so much worse in 3 than any of the other games and following right after bloodborne didn't help it.
it's better than 2 easily, at the very least bc of 2's total bore of a final boss while 3's is a cool homage

people talk about 2's story being a buddhist thing but I always thought that angle with the dragon was pretty weak.

extremebuff posted:

that they patched poise back into the game like a year after launch instead of keeping it to certain moves FG style shows a lack of vision IMO
they didn't do that, they just made it so that poise health resets to 80% on each swing instead of just resetting to 100% on stagger or WA(it still also does this)

poise the stat from armor in ds3 has always served as defense for poisehealth(which activates when you swing a weapon with HA, bigger weapon classes having more poisehealth)
it's still tied to specific moves.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 4, 2017

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Watch a movie if you want to play a lovely game with a good story, in my opinion. Stop paying these losers to put their unsellable writing in dogshit indie games for god sake! gently caress you!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Watch a movie if you want to play a lovely game with a good story, in my opinion. Stop paying these losers to put their unsellable writing in dogshit indie games for god sake! gently caress you!

This

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Fortunately the writing in niet 2, dangin roomper 2 and xenoblade chronicles 2 are spectacular and the have equally specracular gameplay

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Afyer 60 hours of terrible dark souls 2 gameplay i could have given a fugg about the faye of k9mg.vigara and uh...carim of hootie hoo or whatever. gently caress you from software

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Amazon, the company that lets people publish kindle books that are just stats dumped by a bot into OpenOffice from google searches, rejected my book on the grounds that it was quote, "Way too gay and you are a loving retard", but thankfully, through Steam's greenlight program, you can all enjoy my visions in the latest really ugly pixel game with a time travel mechanic and pedophilia.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Amazon, the company that lets people publish kindle books that are just stats dumped by a bot into OpenOffice from google searches, rejected my book on the grounds that it was quote, "Way too gay and you are a loving retard", but thankfully, through Steam's greenlight program, you can all enjoy my visions in the latest really ugly pixel game with a time travel mechanic and pedophilia.

lmfao

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Wormskull posted:

kek

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Lol

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Wormskull posted:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DS npc dialogue reminds me of gothic novels where two guys are at a cafe and one guy says something totally regular and the other guy launches into a 30 page speech including a story from his childhood about how Catholicism is awful

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
*laughs evilly to myself before murdering a useful NPC and becoming a sidequest*

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

kentaro miura is writing froms new dark fantasy whatever game so maybe itll have a good story idk

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

kentaro miura is writing froms new dark fantasy whatever game so maybe itll have a good story idk

yea but Renshiro Uchiha Daibatsushizenomo is directing so, natch, heh.. let's just say things will get weird

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yea but Renshiro Uchiha Daibatsushizenomo is directing so, natch, heh.. let's just say things will get weird

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

that was a mistranslation, him and miyazaki just enjoy each others work

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

that was a mistranslation, him and miyazaki just enjoy each others work

oh thats lame

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
im going to write a strongly worded letter to all aldrich faithful who attack red invaders for some inexplicable reason

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

im going to write a strongly worded letter to all aldrich faithful who attack red invaders for some inexplicable reason

becasue it's cool

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
forest covenant was cool cuz sometimes you'd get a host, red guy, and blue guy and you could attack everyone. epic!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

forest covenant was cool cuz sometimes you'd get a host, red guy, and blue guy and you could attack everyone. epic!

I really liked being a purp at ds3 launch before people worked out what to expect from them and what they were for