Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

TACD posted:

“stop eating red meat or you’ll have a heart attack”

I loving hope it does for me before the world goes to utter poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Rime posted:

Not gangbuster news, but Germany is going ahead with leveling one of their few old-growth forests to build the largest Lignite mine in Europe. Lignite is one of the dirtiest forms of coal out there.

But hey, Nuclear is bad, right kids?

It's extremely important to understand why this happened. Germany is the furthest thing from a country that disregards the environment. They have one of the most comprehensive plans to replace traditional energy sources with renewables, and it's not working. And the reason it's not working is obvious: one of the traditional energy sources they're phasing out is nuclear, which is as low-carbon as renewables. Germany has invested >$800 billion in renewables and found the result is zero benefit, and because of how renewables work, there's no end in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if their emissions rise in years to come.

The time to do nuclear was yesterday. We're probably past the point of now return. But there's still no awareness of this, and governments probably won't be shifting to a realistic strategy until we're committed to 3C warming or more.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Thug Lessons posted:

It's extremely important to understand why this happened. Germany is the furthest thing from a country that disregards the environment. They have one of the most comprehensive plans to replace traditional energy sources with renewables, and it's not working. And the reason it's not working is obvious: one of the traditional energy sources they're phasing out is nuclear, which is as low-carbon as renewables. Germany has invested >$800 billion in renewables and found the result is zero benefit, and because of how renewables work, there's no end in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if their emissions rise in years to come.

The time to do nuclear was yesterday. We're probably past the point of now return. But there's still no awareness of this, and governments probably won't be shifting to a realistic strategy until we're committed to 3C warming or more.

Mostly :agreed:.
I'd add that in Germany (and probably to some extent across Europe and North America), the idea that protecting the environment will require making people less, rather than more, separated from natural habitats and processes is very widespread when what we should be doing is getting the gently caress out so we don't break everything under the ecological footprint of soon-to-be 10 billion people. This makes renewable power in everyone's backyard seem more desirable, while nuclear reactors are obviously unnatural and evil.
The ideal for Germany promoted by conservationists here isn't most people living a low CO2/land use lifestyle in a city consuming food from limited areas filled with intensive farms and greenhouses growing high yield crops (including GMOs where they're helpful) powered by all low-CO2 energy sources (including nuclear to the extent it's needed). It's as many people as possible living an idealised Eastern European rural life on an inefficient farm in a low-density village with high labour use, high land use and all-organic methods.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thug Lessons posted:

look who's coming around!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So when did the switch of opinion from nuclear reactors to full out pro-coal happen?
(Gradual change in policy or was it just an overnight, Fukushima style change?)

(Or is this similar to say California where it was once acceptable cutting edge tech, is now regarded as the risks don't outweigh the rewards?) Due to decades of "Nukes are bad maannnn".

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 30, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Senor P. posted:

So when did the switch of opinion from nuclear reactors to full out pro-coal happen?
(Gradual change in policy or was it just an overnight, Fukushima style change?)

(Or is this similar to say California where it was once acceptable cutting edge tech, is now regarded as the risks don't outweigh the rewards?) Due to decades of "Nukes are bad maannnn".

California is mainly shutting down their nuclear power plants because of cost concerns; damage of expensive replacement parts (SONGS) or costs of meeting newer rules banning once-through cooling (Diablo Canyon).

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Trabisnikof posted:

California is mainly shutting down their nuclear power plants because of cost concerns; damage of expensive replacement parts (SONGS) or costs of meeting newer rules banning once-through cooling (Diablo Canyon).

Yes... but cost concerns from a utility perspective (we're not making enough money) vs. cost concerns from the end user are two different things.

Closing both works in the utility's favor. (Fewer people to pay, fewer benefits to pay, can pull money from the de-commissioning fund, can jack up rates.)

It is not in the favor of the consumer.

Replacing the steam generators again or building a new cooling tower might be anywhere to 500-700 million dollars per plant, the last I heard about this.

The cost of a natural gas power plant would be around 1 billion for 1000 MW each (SONGS was 2 units and so is Diablo Canyon, so that is about 4 billion.)
Not including costs for the gas, or for permitting.

Strikes me as one of the good reasons utilities should be either government owned or not for profit entities.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 30, 2017

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i have learnt that the reforestation industry in australia is a total circus and nobody knows what they're doing

i'm reforesting a coastal swamp (i.e., more inundated every day and soon to be completely underwater, so, like, we may need to think on our feet a bit here?) and they're choosing species to plant based off a book about the region that was written in 1860

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

noyes posted:

australia is a total circus and nobody knows what they're doing

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
also the major issue with reforestation around here is that everyone uses plastic sleeves to protect the saplings from marauding wallabies, except most of the time (not my bosses, they're diligent, but just about everyone else) they don't bother picking up the plastic after the saplings have grown to a safe size. so the plastic just stays there. as the tree gets bigger, the plastic sheath gets stretched out by its expanding trunk until it finally splits in half. it's non-biodegradable, so what happens to it then? it washes from the wetland straight into the loving ocean and gets swallowed by a sea turtle is what happens to it then

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

aussie forests are infested with drop bears so let's just nuke all of that

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
and they keep cutting down the mangroves because they're encroaching on the saltmarsh, but the only reason they're encroaching on the saltmarsh is because big parts of the saltmarsh are now underwater and nothing can grow there but mangroves. that is not the mangroves' fault. the sea is rising. there is more water everywhere. the solution to rising sea levels is not to cut all the mangroves down holy poo poo

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

aussie forests are infested with drop bears so let's just nuke all of that
drop bears are actually sweet gentle creatures if you don't provoke them

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

noyes posted:

drop bears are actually sweet gentle creatures if you don't provoke them

they are

and tazzie devils are priceless

it's the kind of nature you don't gently caress with or you will contract some weird disease

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i distrust devils because they sometimes eat their own young, but they are extremely adorable when their faces aren't falling off

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
incidentally, bandicoots eat their own young too

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

noyes posted:

i distrust devils because they sometimes eat their own young, but they are extremely adorable when their faces aren't falling off

well, i like them because they are the last tazzy predators still alive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine

dead dead dead

the black rhino will be extinct in our lifetime

siberian tigers are close

all of the cool animals are gonna be dead soon :ohdear:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I guess we could learn to think of jellyfish, rats and cockroaches as cool, then everything will be fine!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

This inconsistency exists because Merkel is a spineless populist. Germany needs enormous amount of electricity for its factories and phasing out Nuclear just because it was unpopular among the 'oh my god look at Fukushima' crowd was never a realistic alternative and I could have told you that back when the decision was taken. It is as stupid now as it was back then. It's true that Germans want a lot on paper but I swear you guys are one of the dumbest electorates in the European Union. You can get suckered into any narrative, no matter how dubious, and once it's stuck you never change your mind because of course one of the cornerstones of your culture is being loving stubborn.

There's never any thought about the actual long-term consequences of policy decisions whether we are talking environment, foreign politics, the euro-crisis management or the stunning amounts of sabotaging going on in the EU to protect your precious automotive industry from ever having to innovate past the combustion engine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne posted:

This inconsistency exists because Merkel is a spineless populist. Germany needs enormous amount of electricity for its factories and phasing out Nuclear just because it was unpopular among the 'oh my god look at Fukushima' crowd was never a realistic alternative and I could have told you that back when the decision was taken. It is as stupid now as it was back then. It's true that Germans want a lot on paper but I swear you guys are one of the dumbest electorates in the European Union. You can get suckered into any narrative, no matter how dubious, and once it's stuck you never change your mind because of course one of the cornerstones of your culture is being loving stubborn.

There's never any thought about the actual long-term consequences of policy decisions whether we are talking environment, foreign politics, the euro-crisis management or the stunning amounts of sabotaging going on in the EU to protect your precious automotive industry from ever having to innovate past the combustion engine.
Yeah, I struggle to think of any policy which Germany supports that's actually good for Germany, the EU, or the world. Which is a problem when Germany runs the EU, and the EU could be a major force for curbing carbon emissions, among other things.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MiddleOne posted:

I am far from being pro-nuke as probably anyone (know people who worked on the cluster-gently caress SONGS plant, and yes I have a graduate degree in Physics) but the smart thing would have been to keep the nuke plants running until all the coal plants were shut down.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In addition to climate change, wouldn't the automation of every other job in a few decades lead to societal collapse because the majority can no longer work?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
It's one of the many reasons capitalism is going cause social upheaval and suffering. We're just taking bets on which. Probably gonna be some kind of one two punch kinda thing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

I am far from being pro-nuke as probably anyone (know people who worked on the cluster-gently caress SONGS plant, and yes I have a graduate degree in Physics) but the smart thing would have been to keep the nuke plants running until all the coal plants were shut down.

In the case of Germany, the use of renewables actually did expand considerably, it was just no way fast enough to meet the sudden deadlines that were imposed. The ultimate solution was a more reasonable timetable.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ardennes posted:

In the case of Germany, the use of renewables actually did expand considerably, it was just no way fast enough to meet the sudden deadlines that were imposed. The ultimate solution was a more reasonable timetable.

Step 1 kill coal. Step 2 now you can muddle through (but don't replace nuke with natural gas/biomass).

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

IMHO one of the main problems with renewable energy generation isn't the technology itself but that many people think it's currently able to meet our power needs. Consequently they feel comfortable supporting rapid construction of renewable energy capacity to mitigate climate change while opposing the construction of additional nuclear power capacity (if not calling for plants to close). It seems like this is what happened in Germany, and even many mainstream progressive figures like Bernie Sanders hold the same view. In 40 years we certainly might have a continent spanning electrical grid with sufficient storage capacity to allow fully renewable power generation, but that's not the case currently and in practice any reduction in nuclear capacity is largely going to be replaced by natural gas.

Essentially I'm saying that nuclear power opponents use the promise of renewable energy to argue for reduction of nuclear capacity, and if successful end up raising carbon emissions at a time we need drastic cuts.

syscall girl posted:

siberian tigers are close

all of the cool animals are gonna be dead soon :ohdear:

Unrelated but it always amazes me how few in number remain of many of these iconic species. There are ~500 wild siberian tigers in the world. My apartment building has a larger population.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

IMHO one of the main problems with renewable energy generation isn't the technology itself but that many people think it's currently able to meet our power needs. Consequently they feel comfortable supporting rapid construction of renewable energy capacity to mitigate climate change while opposing the construction of additional nuclear power capacity (if not calling for plants to close). It seems like this is what happened in Germany, and even many mainstream progressive figures like Bernie Sanders hold the same view. In 40 years we certainly might have a continent spanning electrical grid with sufficient storage capacity to allow fully renewable power generation, but that's not the case currently and in practice any reduction in nuclear capacity is largely going to be replaced by natural gas.

Essentially I'm saying that nuclear power opponents use the promise of renewable energy to argue for reduction of nuclear capacity, and if successful end up raising carbon emissions at a time we need drastic cuts.

Unrelated but it always amazes me how few in number remain of many of these iconic species. There are ~500 wild siberian tigers in the world. My apartment building has a larger population.

Must be really dangerous to go outside for you then.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS
so germany found that renewables did not reduce carbon footprint so they are going back to coal plants?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

dbukalski posted:

so germany found that renewables did not reduce carbon footprint so they are going back to coal plants?

Mostly it's that we're starting to run into diminishing returns where just adding some more rooftop solar panels or wind turbines can't easily replace further baseload generation without also adding capital intensive NIMBY bait like more storage and transmission lines. Before that, we wasted the easy initial renewables rollout on replacing nuclear with renewables instead of replacing coal with renewables.

Now, it's rather hard to close coal plants.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dbukalski posted:

Solar and wind both carry challenges with them that other power sources do not when put to scale and so far Germany's response to those challenges has been definitive *faaaaaaaaart*

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/2/oil-drilling-anwr-moves-ahead-part-senate-tax-bill/

Drill baby drill

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lots of commenters are saying drilling in the ANWR is not cost-effective anyways, since shale is much cheaper and is located close to many major cities in the lower 48. So... we'll see what happens? :shrug:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I gotta say, if Avshalom could get quarantined to only talking about reforestation and ecological replenishment, I'd support it.

I mean, I also support her other works, but I do understand Lowtax's reasons to permaban people who explicitly advocate political assassinations and feel the above is a reasonable middle ground.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enraged_camel posted:

Lots of commenters are saying drilling in the ANWR is not cost-effective anyways, since shale is much cheaper and is located close to many major cities in the lower 48. So... we'll see what happens? :shrug:
that sounds super unlikely on its face, is there any meaningful supporting analysis? shipping oil is like the most solved thing in the entire global financial system.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

that sounds super unlikely on its face, is there any meaningful supporting analysis? shipping oil is like the most solved thing in the entire global financial system.

It's more that cheaper oil is already available closer to refineries. Lots of wells in the lower 48 offline due to low price.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
May site wells just to make it hard for any future government to make it illegal again, though.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit nvm

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe

Tree Bucket posted:

I guess we could learn to think of jellyfish, rats and cockroaches as cool, then everything will be fine!
we've got some seriously cute native animals that nobody can be persuaded to care about because scientists are morons and refuse to change their names from what the europeans originally called them; the europeans were extremely bad at naming animals and had zero imagination so these adorable creatures have terrible names like

"stick nest rat"

"brush-tailed rabbit rat"

"common rock rat"

and everyone wrings their hands and wonders why the public doesn't seem interested in conserving them. i know why the public aren't interested! it's because you're calling them all rats! nobody likes rats! don't even get me started on hare-wallabies and rat-kangaroos and so on, europeans are completely hopeless - of course all these animals have beautiful indigenous names that the scientists would love to use, believe me, it's just that we can't use indigenous names, they're too... indigenous

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
don't even get me started on birds, i almost got attacked by a twitcher the other day for implying that a quail-thrush is anything like either a quail or a thrush (it is neither)

scientists are the bane of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
toc stop threatening to kill DJT so you don't get banned anymore, I love you.