Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I mean the most competitive level for bjj grappling I'd argue is the 155 division.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Could just be a weird/lovely gym.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A BJJ school telling you to leave because you're too skinny is loving bizarre. Like, to the point where I'm seriously doubting that happened, unless someone was joking with you and you took it seriously. Which I guess is possible, because goons.

this is where my money's at

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
you asked how wing chun was and after being told it was terrible and what alternatives there were you're going to sign up for wing chun anyway

why even bother posting your question in this thread?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Brinner posted:

Welp, this sounds like everything I didn't want! I guess i'll go along for a couple sessions and see how I feel but i'll look for something else.

I wouldn't... waste of a perfectly good evening. But if you do go tell games master William Cheung I'll gently caress him up, because doesn't that mean I then become the games master? I'd immediately vacate the belt because half the people I train with could gently caress me up and I think calling yourself a games master in a martial art when some idiot from the internet can beat you up is a bit daft.

That BJJ school sounds bizarre, can you name and shame please?

Edit: this gm sounds like a nice charismatic old dude, but he's teaching absolute bullshit.

https://youtu.be/sZ-8QPn62LY - for example. Don't give him any money for gods sake, it doesn't get much more goony than this. Even the chap who moves furniture would probably have him because he plays soccer on the side so can probably kick shins.

Boxing, kickboxing, yoga, mma or bjj would all result in far more skill, fitness and control being learnt in 10 lessons than 30 wingchun "lessons". Hell get a pair of twins, send one to 10 bjj classes and one to 30 wingchun, have them have a fight, my money is on the bjj guy.

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 25, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

old.flv posted:

you asked how wing chun was and after being told it was terrible and what alternatives there were you're going to sign up for wing chun anyway

why even bother posting your question in this thread?

These type of people are new to their sport and would like to discuss it with fellow goons. They seek out the closest thread and post "hey I'm going to be starting at the mystical ninjitsu studio on saturday, any advice?" and the advice is entirely "DO NOT GO THERE. YOU ARE AN IDIOT." and they say "Well, the criticism wasn't constructive so I'll go check it out and see what it's like!!" I'd like to call it confirmation bias but I honestly don't know what's going on here.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I try and be a bit more direct but also very clear, whilst offering viable alternatives.

I have a serious vendetta and grudge against woo woo bullshit martial arts ever since I accidentally attended a lesson not knowing what it was and before I knew what mma or anything was 10 years ago. My bullshit detector was screaming and I don't know why I wasted my hour staying there. I also don't understand how people can fall for it, but I don't want anyone else to fall for it, it's dangerous for one, it gives people the impression they are hard when they aren't and makes them liable to gently caress up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Most people don't actually go to a martial arts class hoping to learn how to fight acid-flinging villains on mopeds.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

Most people don't actually go to a martial arts class hoping to learn how to fight acid-flinging villains on mopeds.

I am aware not everyone can be a hero or has suicidal idolations, I'm not that dumb.

I just don't want anyone going some where where they are being taught something that demonstratively isn't real. My first instinct is to laugh that they can't tell that from the out set, but I'm aware not everyone is as sceptical as everyone else, so I'd rather help people and be kind and do good than just let them waste money in a potentially dangerous way.

"Bad things happen when good people do nothing" - Albert Einstein

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
woah there thread.

Had a couple of guys say try it out and see if you like it but if it's really that much of a snake oil thing I'll give it a miss. There's a good muai thai school a friend has recommended so I will give that a try! I'm not socially retarded enough to mistake a joke but hah goons am i right
Thanks for the advice!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Brinner posted:

woah there thread.

Had a couple of guys say try it out and see if you like it but if it's really that much of a snake oil thing I'll give it a miss. There's a good muai thai school a friend has recommended so I will give that a try! I'm not socially retarded enough to mistake a joke but hah goons am i right
Thanks for the advice!

My man, try Muay Thai for sure. It’s rad as gently caress and will turn you into a powerful, fluid instrument of brutality. Do it. Dooo it!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Brinner posted:

woah there thread.

Thanks for the advice!

A good Muai Thai school is definitely a way better option! Good luck and enjoy. That's actually an amazing thing to learn and it's really fun. Keep us updated with how you get on.

What was the bjj school that turned you away?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Long skinny guys have the great guards and are impossible to pass. What are those guys talking about?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kilometers Davis posted:

My man, try Muay Thai for sure. It’s rad as gently caress and will turn you into a powerful, fluid instrument of brutality. Do it. Dooo it!

This is a good way to put it. I've watched a number of people train MT over the last year just recreationally with no plans of ever sparring or having contact - only for fitness. Their kicks are totally loving brutal at this point.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait for Willie to find some friends and attempt to form Voltron or whatever Phoenix Jones did.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Y'all got me watching Ip Man 3 on Netflix and now I'm actually kinda curious to take a wing chun class to get a feel for it. Don't have the money or the time, but it'd be neat.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

Y'all got me watching Ip Man 3 on Netflix and now I'm actually kinda curious to take a wing chun class to get a feel for it. Don't have the money or the time, but it'd be neat.

It's not a loving documentary mate. I watched crouching tiger flying dragon when I was a kid but I didn't think of signing up to anything so I could fly or balance or sword fight in tree branches.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
But maybe someone watched it and went to do kung fu because they liked the aesthetic of the movements and was under no illusion that it is in any way practical?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sniper Party posted:

they liked the aesthetic

Someone obsessing over aesthetics and big muscles and doing questionable things to get there?
Not ITT I hope!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Sniper Party posted:

But maybe someone watched it and went to do kung fu because they liked the aesthetic of the movements and was under no illusion that it is in any way practical?

Nah. Its pretty because in the movie it gets results. Unless that same person is watching balet and thinking that's really beautiful I really want to do that, its not the aesthetics that are making wing fungi shui seem tempting, its the super hero like ability to beat people up whilst looking cool, only you'll never beat anyone up and ballet dancers get hella mad girls so you would be better off with the balet because the side effects own.

kimbo305 posted:

Someone obsessing over aesthetics and big muscles and doing questionable things to get there?
Not ITT I hope!

This made me legit lol

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
I'm not sure I trust your insight on why people do things to be honest.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

When you and a partner get your choreography down right it looks really cool and requires less acrobatics than Wuxia does. If you're an acrobatic sort I recommend Wuxia instead, you get to do similar stuff but you also get to do flippie stuff and work with weapons that are fun, whereas Wing Chuns butterfly sword and Dragon staff are a pain in the rear end to work with, because by design they are heavy and awkward.

As long as you don't buy into the cult of the sifu stuff and ignore anyone saying the words "self defense" in your gym, and really just want to play super patty cake with other people go to it I say.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 25, 2017

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Being a male ballet dancer would be an incredible base for any martial art.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Brinner posted:

woah there thread.

Thanks for the advice!
I've been doing kickboxing for only 3 months, and I love it. I was really out of shape, and it has really helped me get into shape, and feel better. It's also a lot of fun to punch and kick, while trying not to get punched and kicked.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neeber posted:

I hear it fucks up your knees and ankles something fierce. :smith:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Neeber posted:

We have a guy in my BJJ academy that was a ballet dancer for years. He is 4 stripe blue (almost purple belt), over 50, and brutal to roll with. He can't train as much as he would like due to age / injuries but man, he is a handful.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Willie_Dee is a strange and angry man who is becoming a caricature of himself as a defense mechanism for everyone in this thread taking the piss out of him all the time, you don't have to listen to him

I did wing chun for about 4 years when I was younger (and have trained boxing and bjj since). I thought it was great at the time but same as everyone else I can't really recommend it for any reason. It won't teach you to win fights (for the simple reason that you don't do any live sparring, you gotta actually do something, a lot, in order to learn how to do it) and any other benefit - good exercise, learning how to move, just looking cool - you could definitely get better elsewhere.

Boxing or muay thai will be a great workout and are probably the best for getting a workout you can do anywhere - even without finding a heavy bag I can do a perfectly good bodyweight workout with literally just a skipping rope.

Also general point: if you wanna do wushu (or whatever else) just go, you don't have to get into shape before starting to work out, working out gets you in shape. There will be a beginner class and I can almost guarantee you won't be the one in the worst shape, and it won't matter if you are. It's completely baffling that a bjj place told you to gently caress off and get hench first, was it a real club or did you turn up at willie-dee's garage?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Magnus Manfist posted:

Willie_Dee is a strange and angry man who is becoming a caricature of himself as a defense mechanism for everyone in this thread taking the piss out of him all the time, you don't have to listen to him

Strange fine, but what makes you think I'm angry?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Cuz you're like one daylight purse snatch away from ending up in the news for some vigilantism gone wrong.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Cuz you're like one daylight purse snatch away from ending up in the news for some vigilantism gone wrong.

That's not anger, that's justice.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/27/man-killed-london-moped-rolex-thieves-cctv-appeal

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Most people who constantly fantasise about the day they get to kick the poo poo out of someone are angry, maybe you've got something else going on. Just desperately want the internet to think you're hard? Whatever it is.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

willie_dee posted:

Because you mostly post about how you want to beat up moped thieves?

Or because the first post I saw of yours was about how you thought you should've tried to attack someone who was trying to steal your bike that was armed with a hammer?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Ah I forgot this website wasn't a comedy foru.... oh wait.

Jeez you people are dense.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Willie is cool. There's a little truth to it but theres also a bunch of exaggeration because its funnier that way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah so he doesn't have his gf inject the steroids.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Novum posted:

Willie is cool. There's a little truth to it but theres also a bunch of exaggeration because its funnier that way.

I really am amazed that people don't get this.

kimbo305 posted:

Ah so he doesn't have his gf inject the steroids.

Obv. I can't pin my own rear end and if I do my quads what if I take a leg kick during a moped drive by?!?!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Like popping a huge zit

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The steroid-zit might pop and that'd be gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nth Term
Nov 6, 2012
Sorry to distract from Willie chat, but do any any WI goons know of a good school around Madison.

I could use some exercise and I figure martial arts would be way more interesting than standard exercise.