Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pakled posted:

I could never get into Reboot. I know it was groundbreaking and I'm sure they were doing the best they could with the technology and budget they had to work with, but I couldn't get past how ugly it was.

I've rewatched Reboot relatively recently and I didn't care about the really, really aged CGI. But while it was decent for the time, I agree with the people who think it doesn't need a, er, reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I've actually been wondering for a while if even a straight Reboot reboot would actually be viable these days. The whole concept of the show, that an individual home computer could be depicted/analogized as a city and part of a digital civilization, draws on this idea of cyberspace as a separate alternate world that people could inhabit, free of the limitations and prejudices of the material world. I don't know exactly where this idea came from, but it's an idea that held a lot of sway in ideas about computing and networking through the 1980s and 1990s, and you can see it reflected in cyberpunk and in more philosophical discussions of the field at the time. The way I see it, the problem is that these were ideas that grew up in a time when all these technologies were new and only a tiny number of people used or experimented with them. These days, all this technology has been melted into the fabric of everyday life, and our conception of it has completely changed. The internet isn't a misty utopia anymore; it's in half your home appliances and living there is just a shittier version of everyday life. (Gotta admit, I am curious to see what a kid born after the year 2000, who's grown up with the modern Internet, would make of the show.)

Anyway, in less pretentious news, Woolie of the Super Best Friends, a massive Reboot fan himself, is quite aware of these developments, and he is still blocked by YTV's official Twitter feed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wreck-It Ralph is the sequel to Reboot

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Wreck-It Ralph 2 is the sequel to Kid Radd

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was sort of imagining a future world where advanced bending techniques have made individual benders more powerful than before, but industrialization and the rise of social media and reddits and so forth have made the highly-spiritual, close-to-nature mindset needed to use that bending rarer and rarer. So you'd have benders who are basically saintly weirdos living in little green enclaves in between the giant skyscrapers and occasionally wandering out to use crazy impossible magic in the middle of a sci-fi setting.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Silver Snail posted:

Wreck-It Ralph 2 is the sequel to Kid Radd

god, Kid Radd is probably unreadable now with modern browser standards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DoctorWhat posted:

god, Kid Radd is probably unreadable now with modern browser standards

IIRC, they made some effort to update it to work on modern stuff.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

raditts posted:

Maybe they could also have weapons, like some kind of swords of glowing energy

Do away with that pesky chosen one story and you might have something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
god, Kidd Radd is probably unreadable now.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjqmhHqWSu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdewrU-rG34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCQsMElWo0

Craig of the Creek is created by Matt Burnett and Ben Levin (SU's story editors) and the final show is confirmed to have a lot of former clarence crew, Summer Camp Island is created by Julia Pott (a story writer on Adventure Time from the elements miniseries onward) and most of the final show's crew is going to be former adventure time people (like Sam Alden, Aleks Sennwald, Hanna K Nystrom, Steve Wolfhard, Jesse Moynihan, etc). Tiggle Winks is created by Myke Chillian, a guy who worked on uncle grandpa and has worked with Justin Roiland a lot in the past (I think he's on rick and morty now?)

Both Craig of the Creek and SCI are confirmed for getting full shows already, while Tiggle Winks' fate is up in the air right now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Marshal Radisic posted:

I've actually been wondering for a while if even a straight Reboot reboot would actually be viable these days. The whole concept of the show, that an individual home computer could be depicted/analogized as a city and part of a digital civilization, draws on this idea of cyberspace as a separate alternate world that people could inhabit, free of the limitations and prejudices of the material world. I don't know exactly where this idea came from, but it's an idea that held a lot of sway in ideas about computing and networking through the 1980s and 1990s, and you can see it reflected in cyberpunk and in more philosophical discussions of the field at the time. The way I see it, the problem is that these were ideas that grew up in a time when all these technologies were new and only a tiny number of people used or experimented with them. These days, all this technology has been melted into the fabric of everyday life, and our conception of it has completely changed. The internet isn't a misty utopia anymore; it's in half your home appliances and living there is just a shittier version of everyday life. (Gotta admit, I am curious to see what a kid born after the year 2000, who's grown up with the modern Internet, would make of the show.)

Anyway, in less pretentious news, Woolie of the Super Best Friends, a massive Reboot fan himself, is quite aware of these developments, and he is still blocked by YTV's official Twitter feed.

It came from the fact that on the internet no one could see you or hear you and you could present yourself as whoever you wanted to be. The whole 'on the Internet no one knows you're a dog' comic writ large. This was long before Facebook or even internet browsers where pictures had to be downloaded over hours if not days, scanners were rare and expensive (digital cameras? What's that lol) and 56K was an unheard of speed. Also most people on the internet were Western white male college educated nerds. I remember the sheer wonder at asking people over IRC what time it was where they were and watching all the different answers scroll by and being amazed that people from thousands of miles apart in different countries could all communicate with each other for free in real time. It was pretty heady stuff when you still paid multiple cents a minute for long distance calls if you even knew anyone to call that far away.

Then AOL opened the floodgates, it was Eternal September and the Great Decline began.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And they just announced Miraculous on Netflix is being pushed back to Spring 2018. WTF

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mr Interweb posted:

Apologies if I've asked this before, but is there something different about the way kids' brains are wired nowadays compared to when we were growing up? Sure, back in the 90s we had marathons, but they would usually be relegated to holidays or other special events. But none of this poo poo that seems to happen on a goddamned daily basis.

I mean, just practically speaking, who the hell are these oversaturated schedules directed at? I don't care how big a fan you are of Teen Titans Go, that poo poo has got to be tiring as gently caress when you see the same episodes over and over again in such a short amount of time. And this applies to ANY show, mind you.
This is from a few pages back, but I just looked at the Disney Channel Spain schedule to see if they're showing new eps of Miraculous this week. On the 6th, they're showing 'Despair Bear' six times. Not only that, they're showing it twice in a row. Twice.

I love this dorky show, and 'Despair Bear' is a funny episode, but come on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Milo Murphy's Law Christmas Special was hilarious. I loved Cavendish and Dakota's subplot.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Oracle posted:

And they just announced Miraculous on Netflix is being pushed back to Spring 2018. WTF

Nooooooo...

I was really excited for that to drop this month. Oddly enough, that's probably my most anticipated television release at the moment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cartoon Network: Oh boy, it's a holiday. Time to remember that Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs exists for like a week.

E: Oh hey, Powerpuff Girls is doing a Christmas Carol pastiche for its special. Haven't seen one of those in a while. Don't know whether to think of it as quaint or hack.

E2: They did a Ghost of Christmas Presents joke. Hack it is.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 3, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's a shame given the PPG already had a perfect Christmas special in the original show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's fitting though in that the new ppg still has no good reason to exist, despite its apparent refusal to die

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

raditts posted:

It's fitting though in that the new ppg still has no good reason to exist, despite its apparent refusal to die

The funny thing is that for a lot of PPG 2016's episodes, the core concept is something I could see the original series doing, just more competently

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm still amazed it got renewed after the special. I was completely sure it had already been cancelled.

By the way, that special was a normal 10 minute episode, you can't do A Christmas Carol in 10 minutes!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm curious in how it does in foreign markets and how overall merch sales look. It may be the case that it's evolved into a brand meant to push merch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still amazed it got renewed after the special. I was completely sure it had already been cancelled.

By the way, that special was a normal 10 minute episode, you can't do A Christmas Carol in 10 minutes!

I dunno, it's a pretty short book.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FELD1 posted:

Nooooooo...

I was really excited for that to drop this month. Oddly enough, that's probably my most anticipated television release at the moment.

Right? Not like I'm not watching it anyway but it'd be nice to have it all in one place. Course all 13 eps haven't even been aired in Europe yet so I don't know what we were expecting. Just keep in mind the production company has no control over this and don't send nastygrams to Astruc et al.

I thought I heard ep 8 was going to be on Spanish tv on the 5th? Was that bogus?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

I thought I heard ep 8 was going to be on Spanish tv on the 5th? Was that bogus?
Yeah, there's nothing new listed, on the 5th or for the rest of the week. But if you want to watch 'Despair Bear' at 7:23pm and again at 7:51pm, they've got you covered!

(Seriously, WTF? I haven't seen 'Befana' on the Spanish listings at all, either.)

Mind you, episode 8 was supposed to be shown in France at the weekend, but didn't happen. Considering the US Netflix delay as well, I'm wondering if they're behind schedule and struggling to get the animation finished. If that's the case, burning through the first six episodes in a week on TF1 might not have been the best way to go.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Oracle posted:

don't send nastygrams to Astruc et al.

Not really my M. O. to do something creepy/unproductive like that. I'm not sure what in my post gave you that impression.

Anyway, I'm okay with waiting as long as Netflix also includes the French dub from the get-go because it was a few weeks after release of the first season before all the various dubs were available. Well, I've waited this long, so I'll be alright waiting a few months longer. It's just a bummer.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FELD1 posted:

Not really my M. O. to do something creepy/unproductive like that. I'm not sure what in my post gave you that impression.
Nothin, you aren't the only one reading this thread though and elsewhere I've seen twitter being well, twitter WRT the whole thing so it was fresh in my mind.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/Thomas_Astruc/status/938054619460141056

Way to go, Disney Channel Espana - don't list a major new episode in your schedule or anything. Maybe 'Despair Bear' is the placeholder text for Miraculous and the intern forgot to change it.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 5, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, i was confused keeping track of what aired where, the netflix release was supposed to be the easy way to catch up quick :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Incidentally, I've now seen 'Dark Owl' (it had an evening repeat) and it's fantastic, one of the best shows they've done so far. Genuinely funny, but also tense, which isn't normally something you associate with Miraculous. They pull a "holy poo poo, how are they going to get out of that?" not once but twice. And there's a major event (Astruc wasn't kidding) that drat well better affect the ongoing story arc: two characters now know the true identities of both Ladybug and Cat Noir.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh wait, Hedgehog was a girl in Summer Camp? The art style is so 2000 era cutesy animal people doodles in your sister's journal that I thought they were both boys.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'm not sure where else to put this
https://twitter.com/tobytobyjones/status/938469619089620992
https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/938481961374380032
https://twitter.com/scrotumnose/status/938516798684540928

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sounds like a parody of John K.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I always thought of them as sega controller mouths rather than bean mouths

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wonder if he's taking the piss?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Incidentally, I've now seen 'Dark Owl' (it had an evening repeat) and it's fantastic, one of the best shows they've done so far. Genuinely funny, but also tense, which isn't normally something you associate with Miraculous. They pull a "holy poo poo, how are they going to get out of that?" not once but twice. And there's a major event (Astruc wasn't kidding) that drat well better affect the ongoing story arc: two characters now know the true identities of both Ladybug and Cat Noir.

Huh. I don't know why but I figured they already knew, for some reason.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey guess what

Starting Christmas Eve

Cartoon Network is showing

EVERY EPISODE OF TEEN TITANS GO

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like Go, but :yikes:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It'd be cool of they had a marathon of every Looney Tunes cartoon. They did that once, didn't they?
(Or, every non-racist one, if that's an issue)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Seriously, drat. I like Go too but it is becoming increasingly difficult to defend it when faced with its crushing domination of the schedule.

Pakled posted:

It'd be cool of they had a marathon of every Looney Tunes cartoon. They did that once, didn't they?
(Or, every non-racist one, if that's an issue)

Yeah but it was a while back IIRC. Like over a decade back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also increasingly pathetic when Cartoon Network acts like putting on a lot of Teen Titans Go is a special thing. Like, no it isn't. It's Tuesday.